• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Later Blue Sphere stages, jeeeeeeez man

giphy.gif

Was looking forward to playing this on my Switch at midnight but it won't come out till 2am here. Guess I gotta wait till tomorrow after work to dive in

VariantX

Its been 20+ years, but I can still kick ass at the blue spheres bonus game apparently. The hundreds of hours spent playing it by inserting random genesis carts into S&K is finally paying off! Got at least 3 out of 5 of them done of the first zone.

ckaneo

Btw, how do special stages work? Blue makes you go faster or is it the coins?

I've just been holding the jump button it starts automatically but I'm try holding down next time.

Spheres make you go faster, rings are for time

Unless you mean the non emerald ones, then you need rings for a perfect run and you gotta hit all the blue spheres. They turn into rings if you hit all outer edges of spheres

RK128

Btw, how do special stages work? Blue makes you go faster or is it the coins?

I've just been holding the jump button it starts automatically but I'm try holding down next time.

The orbs make you go faster, rings keep your timer going.

I just learned that you tap jump and when in the air, you press it again (holding it down) and once you land, the drop-dash activates.

Aki-at

Completed. Yes I stayed up just to finish it, was fun.

Everyone tripping over Chemical Plant Zone boss but Press Garden Zone boss using Shinobi sound effects made my day *thumbs up*

I unlocked
the instashield from Sonic 3 and the Super Peel Out from Sonic CD.
Are those tied to level clears or medallions from bonus stages?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just ordered the PS4 collector's edition.
From the UK.
With priority shipping.

With customs this is probably gonna be the most expensive game I've ever bought.

So worth it.

bleaker

Don't have my Switch with me, otherwise I'd be devouring this. Can't get it till Thursday at the earliest. Nice to see a Sonic game getting high praise, last time that happened was Generations wasn't it?

Xbudz

Does the switch version run 1080p docked?

Talk of PS4 version with slowdown can't bode well for switch?

I suppose it could just be the old engine they are using to nail the retro graphics.

RK128

Does the switch version run 1080p docked?

Talk of PS4 version with slowdown can't bode well for switch?

I suppose it could just be the old engine they are using to nail the retro graphics.

I played through two full zones and didn't encounter issues (and I played via remote play...due to having no HD TV). I don't notice any slowdown.

Spheres make you go faster, rings are for time

Unless you mean the non emerald ones, then you need rings for a perfect run and you gotta hit all the blue spheres. They turn into rings if you hit all outer edges of spheres

The orbs make you go faster, rings keep your timer going.

I just learned that you tap jump and when in the air, you press it again (holding it down) and once you land, the drop-dash activates.

Each coin gives you 1 second of extra time, each blue ball makes you faster.
Got it, I'm familiar with the spheres but the other mini game had me a bit lost. You know I was dreading the spheres lol

Only had enough time to play through the first act. Instinctually trying to figure out how to get out of going to schoo...err...work tomorrow!

This game has got a hold on me simply through nostalgia!

Ristifer

I'm going to bed knowing that the X1 unlock isn't until 11am EST. But can't wait to join the conversation a bit more after that time! Glad everyone's having a blast with it.

People ragging on the Blue Balls special stages when that's one of the things that proved to me how legit this game was going to be...

In case anyone needs to know the rules, you can only turn left or right along the grid, blue balls turn red if you hit them, red balls kill you and the red star ones will bounce you, meaning you'll be running backwards and having a bad time.

Most importantly, when there's a square arrangement (e.g. 3x3 or 4x4 blue balls on the grid) turning every blue on the perimeter red without touching the center ones will cause the entire square to become rings. The goal of each stage is to turn every blue ball red and collect every possible ring. And yeah, they're not easy. At all.

Megatron

I will pick this up, but have to wait until at least Wednesday. I want to use the free Espoo points I got at pax west last year and I am not at home until Wednesday.

jobrro

Should i do my first playthrough as Sonic? Also, should i be going fast all the time? I'm newcomer yes.

I went for Sonic and Tails for the first playthrough, I would recommend that.

You can try going fast always but you will probably die often. You should be able to learn when you will need to slow down pretty quickly.

Feel free to mix it up between speed and exploration.

People ragging on the Blue Balls special stages when that's one of the things that proved to me how legit this game was going to be...

In case anyone needs to know the rules, you can only turn left or right along the grid, blue balls turn red if you hit them, red balls kill you and the red star ones will bounce you, meaning you'll be running backwards and having a bad time.

Most importantly, when there's a square arrangement (e.g. 3x3 or 4x4 blue balls on the grid) turning every blue on the perimeter red without touching the center ones will cause the entire square to become rings. The goal of each stage is to turn every blue ball red and collect every possible ring. And yeah, they're not easy. At all.

The first few stages I think are 1:1 from earlier sonic games, and then the game throws you one that's about 90% the same with one weird thing in there. I think it's just a stairs like pattern, but it's jarring enough where you automatically go "Yeah this isn't right at all."

Then the fuckery starts, the rules are the same but those rules are used in crazy ways that you probably didn't see unless you spent a lot of time with the No Way? No Way screen.

Finally you look at the extras menu and find out there are
of these fucking things. It's fantastic.

Neiteio

3 a.m. EST "midnight" releases should be considered domestic terrorism. Someone get that Keelber Elf Jeff Sessions on the case.

I remember playing like 100 different blue ball special stages in Sonic Jam for the sega saturn. I was PRO STATUS. We'll see if I still got it tonight lol

FSLink

Banned
I unlocked
the instashield from Sonic 3 and the Super Peel Out from Sonic CD.
Are those tied to level clears or medallions from bonus stages?

I'm gonna guess medallions since I just finished the game while skipping those bonus stages (wanted to do them later) and didn't get those unlocks you talked about.

Xandalan

Neo Member
PS4 version. I remember getting S3K for christmas way back in 1994 they had hidden it from me and gave me a scavenger hunt. It is still together locked my favorite Sonic game. (I have enjoyed the recent games...). I booted up Sonic Mania 30 minutes ago. The tears just fell. Not just nostalgia, EVERY aspect is right this feels like a game Sega would have put their full budget into as a true sequel. I could not find one aspect wrong. As a Sonic fan playing this now I realized I tried to enjoy Sonic 4 and some aspects of Generations felt okay. This, THIS is classic Sonic perfection. I got my first chaos emerald the special stage is very fun reminds me of a better Sonic cd/Sonic r. I hated the orb game in Sonic 3 here it just invites you if you want the nostalgia no pressure, takes the stress off. Its rare for a new release to notice how much joy this creation was for the developers. Give it a shot!

Top Bottom