• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s CEO Said Pokemon Go Is A “Game-Changer”, Will “Aggressively” Enter Mobile

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How can people be this stupid?

-Pokemon go invented nothing, there were already games like that before pokemon go, even from sony itself, the reason of the success of pokemon go is it's being based pokemon, nothing else, no matter how much better a game will be, no game will have the same success

-despite its great success pokemon go is dying(correct me if wrong) and financially it was a bubble.

Trying to go after the success of pokemon go is the most stupid thing one can do.

I guess you didn't see the quote I was responding too after.

Yeah, I saw it. You said "lol Sony copies Nintendo", then "maybe not" and now "yep, totally copies Nintendo" based on the exact same information. You're basically talking to yourself.

To me, it sounds like Kaz is just placating investors. As has already been pointed out, they've already made a number of mobile games and were planning on investing more money into mobile months before Pokemon Go came out.

Please tell me that that's fake. It can't be real right? Right?

I just had a look at their Twitter account and couldn't see anything there.

Alx

-Pokemon go invented nothing, there were already games like that before pokemon go, even from sony itself, the reason of the success of pokemon go is it's being based pokemon, nothing else, no matter how much better a game will be, no game will have the same success

It doesn't mean it can't open the genre to mass market once everybody is aware of it. Candy Crush didn't invent match-3 games either, but its popularity lead to many other games making money on that same concept.
The fact that it might be dying isn't really an issue either, many companies are looking for quick cash-ins.

oti

Banned

-despite its great success pokemon go is dying(correct me if wrong) and financially it was a bubble.

Trying to go after the success of pokemon go is the most stupid thing one can do.

Pokémon GO is unique in many ways and just trying to copy it with Invizimals or whatever won't work. But there are still takeaways here. People are ok with having an App open all the time to play a game as long as they really like it, you don't have to use whale tactics in order to make money, AR as a concept (not just the camera) is very exciting to many people. You can take those learnings and try to implement them smartly.

Harmen

Investing in mobile can be a good idea, but having Pokemon Go expectations (or following that model expecting stable/good sales) is stupid. The way it is worded here doesn't bode well though.

Oersted

Is people a shorthand for Kaz Hirai? Or who are you talking to?

Piichan

Banned
Isn't true,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...red_pokemon_go_feedback_from_his_hospital_bed

Btw i'm saying this because of wiimote brawl, and many other functions Nintendo build.
I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't take anything from their competitors, but it's clear Sony does it with a factor of x 10
It's not a bad thing, it means Nintendo does it right. But maybe they also need to take some risks first before other ones.

(im looking at MS,Sony, Nintendo)
?
Your link supports my point of Nintendo's limited involvement:
Iwata was the in charge when the bold choice was made to expand Nintendo's business into the mobile phone sector, and while Pokémon GO isn't wholly a Nintendo venture - The Pokémon Company and Niantic are arguably more heavily involved here - it would seem that he had quite a bit of input into development before his passing.

It says right there TPC and Niantic are responsible for the game, and Nintendo's input is limited.

Look, if you want to keep your rhetoric of "Sony steals ideas", then fine, go ahead. But in this case they're not as much stealing from Nintendo, but they're stealing from Niantic if anyone.

QaaQer

Oh yeah, I'm sure Playstation All Stars Battle Royale will set the market on fire.

Haha, yeah.

I'm sorry Kaz, but Sony's game ips are bottom tier, with near zero cultural cache. Nathan, Kratos, Killzone, Ratchet, Sly,...what are they compared to the power of Halo or CoD or GTA or WoW or even a single Pikachu? Frankly, Sony's gaming ips are pathetic. Idk why, but there must be something fundamentally wrong with what they do on the creative side to not have had any impact outside of 25-30 million console gamers over 30 years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pokemon Go doesn't rely on whale hunting. Nintendo is quite proud of this fact that the revenue earning is spread across their active players.

For now, do you think that will be the case a year from now? How do you think whale hunting even came about. The average person won't continually put money into your game 6 to twelve months from now. Pokemon curve has a better curve because it's much more profitable to the mainstream than those games, but as the numbers drop it will become more and more dependent on whales.

oti

Banned
For now, do you think that will be the case a year from now? How do you think whale hunting even came about. The average person won't continually put money into your game 6 to twelve months from now. Pokemon curve has a better curve because it's much more profitable to the mainstream than those games, but as the numbers drop it will become more and more dependent on whales.

So in your last post you said it's dying because all whale hunting games naturally do to now say that Pokémon GO isn't whale hunting but will eventually turn into a whale hunting game?

HMD

Haha, yeah.

I'm sorry Kaz, but Sony's game ips are bottom tier, with near zero cultural cache. Nathan, Kratos, Killzone, Ratchet, Sly,...what are they compared to the power of Halo or CoD or GTA or WoW or even a single Pikachu? Frankly, Sony's gaming ips are pathetic. Idk why, but there must be something fundamentally wrong with what they do on the creative side to not have had any impact outside of 25-30 million console gamers over 30 years.

Don't underestimate the Playstation name, it's a huge IP itself.

Little big planet should have been on mobile for ages by now
That game isn't a graphics power house and can easily be put on a phone and it's controls are basic enough to be a touch screen focused game.

Pokemon is Pokemon, you can't copy that or come close to that juggernaut , it's just a money making machine so don't set the prediction that high companies or you'll fail

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ps3 psp and vita had AR games. None took off.

Not sure why they think it will be different this time. But there is no harm trying I guess. Sony does have a lot of experience in this area.

1 is a console, the other 2 sold less than their competitors.

This is mobile we are talking about here.

Yeah, I saw it. You said "lol Sony copies Nintendo", then "maybe not" and now "yep, totally copies Nintendo" based on the exact same information. You're basically talking to yourself.

To me, it sounds like Kaz is just placating investors. As has already been pointed out, they've already made a number of mobile games and were planning on investing more money into mobile months before Pokemon Go came out.

I just had a look at their Twitter account and couldn't see anything there.

Well its because they removed it.

Peterc

Like when they released a CD based console?

I don't want to make a discussion about this.

But I said they all do it in the op, but the reason for the cd based console is because of formats that has been used at that moment. Same with SD or HDD that are been used at the moment. Nintendo tries to be different and don't want to compete, but thats difficult when competitors are taken over the same thing.

Peterc

?
Your link supports my point of Nintendo's limited involvement:

It says right there TPC and Niantic are responsible for the game, and Nintendo's input is limited.

Look, if you want to keep your rhetoric of "Sony steals ideas", then fine, go ahead. But in this case they're not as much stealing from Nintendo, but they're stealing from Niantic if anyone.

it would seem that he had quite a bit of input into development before his passing.

And he isn't not the only one at Nintendo.
Don't think could release anything beside Nintendo, with Nintendo his name on it, before Nintendo has told him how it should work.

I don't want to make a discussion about what happens in the past. I could do that, but thats not the point of the topic.
I just wanted to hear if people wants it from Sony.

Pepboy

I don't think Sony has an IP that would work as well as Pokemon.. seems like a foolish thing to chase after.

Agree completely. They overvalue their weak IP, sort of like when they tried to go after smash bros clone. Nintendos weak third party support meant they had to fight with IP to survive.

Sony has good franchises but the characters only really work within their respective franchise. It would be weird to see Joel playing tennis with Midevil. They also lack consistency in character design.

But I think they are doing this just to appeal to shareholders, so I'm not too worried.

Shengar

Even after two months and steady decline of user base, people still believe Pokemon Go is gamechanger social app, both Kaz Hirai and gaffer alike.

Oersted

Even after two months and steady decline of user base, people still believe Pokemon Go is gamechanger social app, both Kaz Hirai and gaffer alike.

It broke every existing record, set up new records and is still higher than everything else.

Get over it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So in your last post you said it's dying because all whale hunting games naturally do to now say that Pokémon GO isn't whale hunting but will eventually turn into a whale hunting game?

I didn't say it was dying, all mobile games slowly lose userbase as does pretty much all forms of entertainment. How Pokemon go retatins the level of revenue despite this loss as most with most mobile games is through whales (the most dedicated users) spending more and more. It's how the industry transitioned into "whale hunting" in the first place.

Abounder

Banned
In terms of IP Sony does have, one that springs to mind with potential might be Gran Turismo. A type of Gran Turismo game for mobile might do well if properly executed/marketed.

This guy gets it. Buy virtual cars and race them at pokego-inspired pitstops. Launch whenever the new Skyline GTR comes out.

Oh no.

I really don't think this is a good idea. Pokemon Go was a fluke that mainly occurred because those that grew up with the original generation are old enough to have kids, and almost everyone under that age group has somehow experienced Pokemon in their youth, including people who are currently children. It is something that only worked because of the strong nostalgia factor and the current likelihood of that demographic to not be embarrassed by trying to recapture their childhood. It also worked because a lot of people had fallen out with Pokemon after years of growing up, and it grabbed them back in by using the original 150 and being something they could join in and experience for free.

I can't think of a Sony franchise that's anywhere near as big. Nintendo are the only ones who are really capable of pulling something like this and having it work again, and that's only if they go with their massive franchises like Mario or Zelda. Even then, the initial seed has already been planted and most people are now going to look at copycat apps and shake their heads because they already had the experience with Go.

It also worked because a lot of people had fallen out with Pokemon after years of growing up, and it grabbed them back in by using the original 150 and being something they could join in and experience for free.

I think the real end of Pokemon Go will be when they introduce the newer generations. 151 is an achievable goal for catching 'em all. Most newer gen Pokemon are just reskins of the old ones and they'll cause people to lose interest. Wurmple is just a poor copy of a Caterpie.

cafemomo

With what IP or character though? A Nissan Skyline? Killzone guy?

Only character I could see working would be Toro, but only in Japan.

Raylan

Banned
Sony doesn't have a strong (ready for mobile) IP like Nintendo does, Sony should know better.
Sony already has a mobile game that generates $200k per day (revenue). Creating/developing a few more of these games makes absolutely sense. The mobile market is huge in japan/asia.

pringles

Without the Pokemon skin, it would have been dead in a month. Trades HEAVILY on nostalgia and visuals but the content is paper thin.
The Pokemon brand is perfect for the tech the game uses, but nostalgia is not that big of a factor. That doesn't explain why you suddenly see hords of kids, teenagers and 40+ year old people playing this. How many of them are bound by Gen 1 nostalgia? I can only imagine how many people were like my GF, zero connection to Pokemon and really skeptical of even downloading the app, then got hooked bad and have almost filled the pokedex now.

I'm glad that they also enter into the mobile market like Nintendo does.
But I feel again that Nintendo always need to show them how it's done.
I'll expect a Ps clone from pokemon.

What do you think?

Lock if old

You feel again that Nintendo always needs to show them how it's done? That's a pretty baited statement in my opinion. Sony succeeded in the gaming industry by going in a very different direction to Nintendo. Of course they do some pretty blatant copying from time to time, but at least in this instance they are being very open about taking inspiration.

Audioboxer

Yay

/s

Played Pokemon Go a few times and now it's deleted. But yes I know I really am not that involved in mobile games or care for them.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
it is a good thing. Many companies will love to have new fans through giant word of mouth.

yup its gonna be cool to see how the new pokemon game dose i havnt played a pokemon game since red and blue and pokemon go has pretty much sold me on picking up sun or moon not sure what one yet

Forkball

Sony copying something Nintendo did? UNPRECEDENTED.

For those saying, "Isn't Pokemon Go DEAD?" it's far from it. Even if everyone dropped it tomorrow, I would have to imagine it made everyone involved a pretty penny. Angry Birds is probably off a lot of people's radar, yet I'm sure it still rakes in truckloads of cash. Although the fad may die down, I'm certain there will still be a dedicated fanbase out there to keep it profitable.

wildfire

Banned

*takes note this user is calling the CEO of Sony (who had a large part in hemorrhaging the bleeding the company was receiving) dumb.*

*notices user name*

FStubbs

For a company that actually makes smartphones, Sony has never really put forth the push they could have into mobile.

Since they won't be making any more handhelds, they could leverage their phones to do some neat things with the PS platform that nobody else can do.

Sony already has a mobile game that generates $200k per day (revenue). Creating/developing a few more of these games makes absolutely sense. The mobile market is huge in japan/asia.

Making them and getting them to sell are two different things. Sony needs to recalibrate their definition of what a handheld game is, because since the PSP they've been stuck with the concept of creating console-like experiences on non-console devices. That won't fly on mobile.

Top Bottom