• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

StuBurns

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater sold like 1 million and something copies on an install base of about 70 million.

Clearly the flop.
It sold like 4 million units.

And yeah, compared to MGS2 it did badly.

Why are we discussing whatever we are discussing here again? I thought this thread was about the PS3 reaching 21.3 million units sold worldwide?

Or am I having one of my episodes again?

StuBurns

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Why are we discussing whatever we are discussing here again? I thought this thread was about the PS3 reaching 21.3 million units sold worldwide?

Okay, that's a much more interesting topic.

AniHawk

Jaded Alyx said:

I thought I'd successfully derailed the thread into an 80s vs 90s list war, but apparently it didn't pan out.

AniHawk said:
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Police Squad
The Wonder Years
ALF
The A-Team
Seinfeld (started in 1989)
DS9 and Babylon 5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TNG
Power Rangers (fuck yeah!)
The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Dexter's Laboratory
Dinosaurs
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid
The West Wing

The 70's win. Star Wars (before it sucked), Jaws (before it sucked), and Battlestar Galactica (before it didn't suck). We also got things that were awesomely bad, like Disco, even if we were too young to experience it first hand.
AniHawk said:
I thought I'd successfully derailed the thread into an 80s vs 90s list war, but apparently it didn't pan out.
I tried to help. Didn't work?

Big-E

bmf said:
The 70's win. Star Wars (before it sucked), Jaws (before it sucked), and Battlestar Galactica (before it didn't suck). We also got things that were awesomely bad, like Disco, even if we were too young to experience it first hand.

How can someone can be so wrong, so often?

AniHawk

bmf said:

80s had Empire Strikes Back (> Star Wars) AND Raiders of the Lost Ark (> Jaws) AND Back to the Future (> whatever crappy time travel stuff the 70s had) AND Aliens (< Alien).

Dax01 said:
DS9 and Babylon 5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TNG
Power Rangers (fuck yeah!)
The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Dexter's Laboratory
Dinosaurs
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid
The West Wing

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (>>>>>>> Power Rangers)
DuckTales
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Fraggle Rock
Inspector Gadget
VOLTRON
The Real Ghostbusters
The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show
The Simpsons
ThunderCats

AniHawk said:
Don't be so sure.

Let me end this right here and now.

Number of Indiana Jones movies in the 80s = 3
Number of Indiana Jones movies in the 90s = 0

Number of Back to the Future movies in the 80s = 3
Number of Back to the Future movies in the 90s = 0

Number of Ghostbusters movies in the 80s = 2
Number of Ghostbusters movies in the 90s = 0

EDIT:
Number of Star Wars movies in the 80s = 2
Number of Star Wars movies in the 90s = 1

Therefore, 80s > 90s.

Big-E said:
How can someone can be so wrong, so often?
Haha plleeeeease take this thread to argue that the original BSG is better than the new one, it's always fun to watch crazy GINO people implode.

AniHawk said:
80s had Empire Strikes Back (> Star Wars) AND Raiders of the Lost Ark (> Jaws) AND Back to the Future (> whatever crappy time travel stuff the 70s had) AND Aliens (< Alien).
The 80s also had the first Die Hard and the first two Lethal Weapon movies. Compare to the 70s which had no Die Hards or Lethal Weapons, and the 90s which had Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 and Die Hard 2 and 3. 80s just can't stop winning here!

Jaded Alyx said:
Also, the 80s saw the rise of Nintendo in the home console market, while the 90s saw the rise of...OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING
Post videogame discussion on the page before this one please.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Segata Sanshiro said:
The 80s also had the first Die Hard and the first two Lethal Weapon movies. Compare to the 70s which had no Die Hards or Lethal Weapons, and the 90s which had Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 and Die Hard 2 and 3. 80s just can't stop winning here!

But the seventies were the best part of Queen's career so the seventies > the eighties!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
stuburns said:
I want developers to push what they think is possible, not remake the same games over and over again.

That is commendable, and actually what I want too (the only exception being comebacks, because dead genres feel fresh again if you haven't played them for years). Now tell me: what do you mean when you say "push what they think is possible"? Does that necessarily and only involve horsepower (for graphics, number of characters on screen, etc.)? Does it mostly involve it? Or do you think there are many, many ways developers can and will "push what they think is possible"? If that's the former (first or second question), I understand your point, but don't agree. If that's the latter, then you can't be so pessimistic about the Wii's so-called message, because you know as I do that you could still do a lot more with, say, the PS2 in terms of game design. Or is it that you're underestimating the developer's talents and imagination? If they're trapped and can't make fresh games just because they're stuck with PS2/GC/XBox/Wii hardware, they're not really good, now, are they?

There is nothing on the Wii that couldn't, and hasn't been done better before. I guess you could argue BoomBlox, but I thought it was shit, as it would appear the general public did because it flopped. If BoomBlox had been a massive hit and spawned similar unique games, then at least that'd be something.

Nothing on the Wii that couldn't be done better before > I will be nice with you and ignore the utterly stupid hyperbole (seriously, NOTHING?). As you said, there's Boom Blox (and Zack & Wiki, which I mentioned). You thought it was shit, fine. If we go by tastes and hyperbole though, I'll tell you that nothing feels really fresh on the competition, save for the graphics, but that wouldn't be good for discussion. If you're trying to use the sales argument, you're playing with double standards. I'll just use Wii Sports and Wii Fit and tell you they COULDN'T have been done better before, if at all. Even the Eyetoy can't compare. I tried several Eyetoy games. They're fun in their own respect, but even the much-decried Wiimote allows for more precise controls. Similarly, Eyetoy Kinetic is a joke compared to Wii Fit.

Oh and as Anihawk says, Boom Blox didn't flop anyway.

Make up your mind at least: are we talking general impact (i.e. sales), preferences, or some vague mix of the two that can allow you to spin the argument however you want to?

[EDIT] Crap, the thread grew so much by the time I posted that reply :lol.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
But the seventies were the best part of Queen's career so the seventies > the eighties!

But the eighties had the best part of Michael Jackson's career, so the eighties > the seventies (and sixties and nineties)

Segata Sanshiro said:

Here's more incontrovertible proof, from the IMDB page of Eddie Murphy (edited for AWESOME):

Coming to America (1988) .... Prince Akeem / Clarence / Randy Watson / Saul
... aka Prince in New York (Europe: English title: video title)

Eddie Murphy Raw (1987) .... Himself
... aka Raw (USA: short title)
... aka Raw: The Concert Movie (USA: poster title)

Beverly Hills Cop (1984) .... Det. Axel Foley

"Saturday Night Live" .... Various / ... (67 episodes, 1980-1984)
... aka NBC's Saturday Night (USA: first season title)
... aka SNL (USA: informal title)
... aka SNL 25 (USA: alternative title)
... aka Saturday Night (USA: second season title)
... aka Saturday Night Live '80 (USA: sixth season title)
... aka The Best of Saturday Night Live (USA: rerun title)
- George McGovern/Madness (1984) TV episode .... Carl
- Billy Crystal/Al Jarreau (1984) TV episode .... Mr. Breckman
- Edwin Newman/Kool & The Gang (1984) TV episode .... Various
- Jamie Lee Curtis/The Fixx (1984) TV episode .... Various
- Robin Williams/Adam Ant (1984) TV episode .... Various
(62 more)

Trading Places (1983) .... Billy Ray Valentine

Eddie Murphy Delirious (1983) (TV) .... Himself
... aka Delirious (USA: short title)

48 Hrs. (1982) .... Reggie Hammond

AniHawk

Jaded Alyx said:
Don't be so sure.

Let me end this right here and now.

Number of Indiana Jones movies in the 80s = 3
Number of Indiana Jones movies in the 90s = 0

Number of Back to the Future movies in the 80s = 3
Number of Back to the Future movies in the 90s = 0

Number of Ghostbusters movies in the 80s = 2
Number of Ghostbusters movies in the 90s = 0

EDIT:
Number of Star Wars movies in the 80s = 2
Number of Star Wars movies in the 90s = 1

Therefore, 80s > 90s.

Though the end result is the same, BttF 3 was a 90s movie, though it took place in the 80s.

And the first TMNT film is an 80s movie at heart.

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, but the 80s were better.

The only thing you had going on that was better was US presidents.

And probably music.

I was born in 81 and Reagan, though a Republican, was a well loved outside the US. So better president in the 90s is arguable considering how badly Clinton scandalized the office and made a mockery of the US as a decadent self absorbed place.

If it ever comes to a tie though, 80s still win. Goonies.
The Movie and the the Konami game.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
No, because Queen > Michael Jackson any day.

I will concede that point.

However, the 80s had David Bowie as the Goblin King.

And the 80s had the collaboration of Bowie and Queen with Under Pressure.

AniHawk said:
Though the end result is the same, BttF 3 was a 90s movie, though it took place in the 80s.

And the first TMNT film is an 80s movie at heart.
Thanks for the correction. 80s win yet again.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:

But the 70s had Dirty Harry. ;)

Pristine_Condition said:
Here's more incontrovertible proof, from the IMDB page of Eddie Murphy (edited for AWESOME):
Since his fat-suited kid-friendly movies of today are so different, I refer to the superior 1980s model as 80 Murphy.

Given the number of months that I've spent over various years with Bohemian Rhaposdy stuck in my head, I have to agree that Queen makes for an amazing side to any argument.

You could probably even argue for or against antidisestablishmentarianism in terms of Queen.

I don't see why we are still debating this point. After all, I posted the Eddie Murphy proof already.

Since Eddie Murphy is the most important artist in the history of humanity, it goes without saying that the decade in which he was at the peak of his artistic powers was also the best decade in the history of humanity.

Thank you for your kind attention. This concludes my lecture.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
2008 was the year the PS3 reached 21 million units sold. Beats the 70s, the 80s and the 90s combined, hands down.

The 1980s is where quite a few media of creative expression hit pretty much the exact sweet spot between commercial pressures of success and artistic experimentation -- thus the existence of some of the greatest pure pop records in history, or transcendant comedy films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Back to the Future, and Ghostbusters...

I mean, it's ridiculous to see optical media as bringing about a "new" period of graphics whoredom rather than correctly seeing it as a cost-saving measure that ushered in an era of unprecedented prosperity for third-party developers and all, but trying to say that the 90s were better for pop culture than the 80s is just too embarrassing. ( ._.)

Averon

I'm trying to figure out what could possibly initiate a transition from a discussion about the PS3 selling 21.3 million units to 70s, 80s and 90s nostalgia.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Allan Holdsworth said:
In terms of music...
70s > 90s >>>>>>> 80s

80s was such a horrible decade for music.

DSOTM is still the best album in the world so I'll agree with that post, although the 80's were pretty fun.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Allan Holdsworth said:
In terms of music...
70s > 90s >>>>>>> 80s

80s was such a horrible decade for music.

Not from the Spanish side! Spanish Rock became FAWKWESOME in that decade with bands like Los Toreros Muertos, La Gusana Ciega, Caifanes and Hombres G. Also, Mecano for all your experimental non-rocky but shitawesome stuff.

...Fuck you guys, now I have to agree the eighties > the seventies.

donny2112

bmf said:
The 70's had the first two Godfather movies. The 90's had part 3. The 80's just didn't get any.

So you're saying 70s > 80s > 90s?

AniHawk said:
So the 80s win over the 90s yet again.

:lol :D

MotherFan said:
This is just right.

Fixed. Seasons 6 and 7 of TNG, unfortunately, stunk, ending the series on a low note, whereas DS9 ended with five straight awesome years.

jett

D-Member
AniHawk said:
But the eighties had the best part of Michael Jackson's career, so the eighties > the seventies (and sixties and nineties)

You don't listen to much music, do you.

Top Bottom