• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

The 70s are the decade that brought about polyester, Nixon, and Three's Company. If it weren't for punk music and the peaks of classic rock we would have to be ashamed as a species that such a decade even existed in our history.

donny2112 said:
Fixed. Seasons 6 and 7 of TNG, unfortunately, stunk, ending the series on a low note, whereas DS9 ended with five straight awesome years.

You people really need to watch Season 3 of DS9 again. That shit is stone-cold lousy and it's a damn good thing that the metaplot kicks in so effectively in season 4.

charlequin said:
You people really need to watch Season 3 of DS9 again. That shit is stone-cold lousy and it's a damn good thing that the metaplot kicks in so effectively in season 4.
Season 3 was good.

Narcosis said:
The 1980's introduced Predator, Terminator, and Rocky III

Fuck yeah.
The '90's had Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Gattaca, Home Alone, Goodfellas, Toy Story, and The Matrix.

AniHawk said:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (>>>>>>> Power Rangers)
DuckTales
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Fraggle Rock
Inspector Gadget
VOLTRON
The Real Ghostbusters
The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show
The Simpsons
ThunderCats
ThunderCats sucked.

The Sopranos
Doug
Kenan and Kel
All That
Farscape
Law and Order

And all the good videogames that came out in the '90s.

charlequin said:
The 70s are the decade that brought about polyester, Nixon, and Three's Company. If it weren't for punk music and the peaks of classic rock we would have to be ashamed as a species that such a decade even existed in our history.
Oh man, are you forgetting all of the great cinema, both domestic and foreign, that came out of that decade? For shame... And the Atari, man....the motherfucking 2600, man. I can't hate that decade...I was born during that one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dax01 said:
The '90's had Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Gattaca, Home Alone, Goodfellas, Toy Story, and The Matrix.

Calcaneus said:
T2. 90s. Its over.

The nineties also brought us the Backstreet Boys, so anything good that may have come out from them is instantly denied in front of such a crime against humanity.

Regulus Tera said:
The nineties also brought us the Backstreet Boys, so anything good that may have come out from them is instantly denied in front of such a crime against humanity.
80's had Reagan and HW Bush, which were worse than the Backstreet Boys.

Regulus Tera said:
The 80's brought us New Kids on the Block. The 70's brought us the Jackson 5. I'm sure you can come to your own conclusions on those.

donny2112

TwinIonEngines said:
Season 6 of TNG doesn't even remotely suck. It might be the best season of the show.

Season 6 had some good episodes, but it started the whole "let's really explore each character's inner dynamic and learn about our feelings" downward spiral.

The Barclay episode
The Deanna episode
The Geordi episode
The Picard episode
The Worf episode (Really? Exploring the touchy-feely nature of a Klingon was thought to be a good idea?)
The Picard falls in love episode (Somehow after eschewing Vash, they decide to have him randomly fall in love with a crew member?)
The Riker episode
The Beverly episode

It's like they knew the series was wrapping up and wanted to give each crew member an episode all their own to shine in.

Conversely, season 3 of DS9 was the ascent into the awesomeness of the Dominion War, so it gets more leeway. :D

Christine

Dax01 said:

The List Warrior, Blade Runner, Brazil, The Goonies, Full Metal Jacket, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and A Christmas Story.

leroidys

Dax01 said:
Season 3 was good.

ThunderCats sucked.

The Sopranos
Doug
Kenan and Kel
All That
Farscape
Law and Order

what.the.fuck.

Edit: and if we're arguing better decades, the 60's pwn the rest of the century besides the 10's and 20's. (minus a few well known horrible events, but those just made them more meaningful)

Christine

donny2112 said:
Season 6 had some good episodes, but it started the whole "let's really explore each character's inner dynamic and learn about our feelings" downward spiral.

It's like they knew the series was wrapping up and wanted to give each crew member an episode all their own to shine in.

But even with all this, it's better than seasons 1, 2 and 4 (family values) almost by default. It was also better than the concurrent first season of DS9, though you've got to forgive a certain amount of first-season jitters from any show.

donny2112 said:
Conversely, season 3 of DS9 was the ascent into the awesomeness of the Dominion War, so it gets more leeway. :D

Season 3 is divided between very strong and very weak episodes. I was never a big fan of the Dominion war, but season 3 was where Quark really got established as central to the show, so it's got that going for it.

MightyHedgehog said:
Oh man, are you forgetting all of the great cinema, both domestic and foreign, that came out of that decade? For shame...

I understand the reasons why 1970s American cinema is held in such incredibly high regard, but it's just hard for me to hold it in quite as high esteem -- and I don't actually feel like film has suffered degradation from its high point in nearly the same way that pop music has. But it's a fair point.

Dax01 said:
Season 3 was good.

See, it, like, starts out good, with the Changeling stuff and eps like "House of Quark," but then you have shit like "Meridian," which was utterly intolerable, and "Life Support," which is just, like, ugh, even
killing Bariel
doesn't make this episode good, and then there's a string of leftover TNG technobabble scripts like "Visionary," and finally there's "Explorers" which, just, ugh, Jake Sisko die in a fire already. It has pretty great Zek and Garak episodes, but, like, every season has great Zek and Garak episodes, pretty much.

TwinIonEngines said:
Season 3 is divided between very strong and very weak episodes. I was never a big fan of the Dominion war, but season 3 was where Quark really got established as central to the show, so it's got that going for it.

Yeah, that's a fair take. Looking at the list again, the best stuff is really good, but the bad stuff is really bad. Every season of DS9 has at least one almost unwatchable clunker, but S3 has more than most.

(The best thing about the season is that they finally flesh out some of the character plots, though. Nog, Rom, and Garak all get their backstories and quirks really nailed down this season, and the Odo/Kira romance gets introduced, all of which I can fully support.)

charlequin said:
See, it, like, starts out good, with the Changeling stuff and eps like "House of Quark," but then you have shit like "Meridian," which was utterly intolerable, and "Life Support," which is just, like, ugh, even
killing Bariel
doesn't make this episode good, and then there's a string of leftover TNG technobabble scripts like "Visionary," and finally there's "Explorers" which, just, ugh, Jake Sisko die in a fire already. It has pretty great Zek and Garak episodes, but, like, every season has great Zek and Garak episodes, pretty much.
Explorers was a good episode. Overall, I thought it was a good season. Sure, it had its share of weak episodes, but still...

Yaceka said:
What the fuck happened in this thread?
I happened to this thread.

Well, actually, me and Anihawk happened to this thread.

lowlylowlycook said:
I just want to say that in an alternate reality Spock wears a beard and the PS3 isn't a colossal failure.

And Wii Games look just as good as Gamecube games ?

J/K Wii look like Playstation 2 games

It's a joke don't ban me.

m3k

Dax01 said:
Season 3 was good.

ThunderCats sucked.

The Sopranos
Doug
Kenan and Kel
All That
Farscape
Law and Order

:lol listwarz

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Trailblazer said:
And Wii Games look just as good as Gamecube games ?

J/K Wii look like Playstation 2 games

It's a joke don't band me.
Actually PS2 games and GC games look similar, so that mean that yes, Wii / GC / PS2 (even Xbox) all look similar ... no spoiler needed?

Also:

ITT: We Ramble About Decades!

So: Personally I hate the 80s and the 90s, and have no love for the 50s or the 60s, and the 70s' color scheme looks like processed baby food, so no thanks.

watership

charlequin said:

DS9 season 2 was great too. Lots of dominion setup.

Azure J

Man, the one day I happen to browse this thread and I find the most interesting conversation I've ever seen on GAF... And can't really participate since I have to type out my posts through internet channel with a Wiimote still. :lol

Well, while I'm here and all, two things. First off, bmf's tag is unexpected yet lol worthy. Secondly, I think everyone can agree at the very least that the 80s & 90s > all really. :D

Dax01 said:
Explorers was a good episode.

I just hate Jake Sisko. Hate hate hate.

watership said:
DS9 season 2 was great too. Lots of dominion setup.

Season 2 has a lot of good stuff (although I really just can't take pre-bald, pre-beard Sisko as seriously.) Like the Bajor politics stuff, I think this season has the first meaty callback to Odo and Kira's time on Terok Nor... Plus it has the O'Brien-Bashir buddies episode.

Season 6 is by far the best, IMO. It has the best single episode ("Far Beyond The Stars,") covers some of the most interesting parts of the war (including "In The Pale Moonlight"), and introduces Vic Fontaine.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
80s had Empire Strikes Back (> Star Wars) AND Raiders of the Lost Ark (> Jaws) AND Back to the Future (> whatever crappy time travel stuff the 70s had) AND Aliens (< Alien).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (>>>>>>> Power Rangers)
DuckTales
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Fraggle Rock
Inspector Gadget
VOLTRON
The Real Ghostbusters
The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show
The Simpsons
ThunderCats
This is the first time I've clicked on the thread, and I thought I'd navigated to the OT by mistake. The hell....:lol

Vinci

Danish
GhaleonEB said:
This is the first time I've clicked on the thread, and I thought I'd navigated to the OT by mistake. The hell....:lol

To be fair, man, Ani went a bit crazy on that post.

Mentioning DuckTales and Rescue Rangers was enough to gut the 90s.

EDIT: And not to back up bmf, as his assertions against Sony were nuts, I'd have to state that I take issue with a company that has kept virtually the same controller for three damn generations. Considering the primary component in gaming that sets it apart from other media is interactivity, the fact that so many games' controls can be guessed simply by knowing the genre it exists in after three generations is a bit unappealing.

Azure J

Vinci said:
To be fair, man, Ani went a bit crazy on that post.

Mentioning DuckTales and Rescue Rangers was enough to gut the 90s.

What makes this all so funny to me though is the idea that while the rest of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are god tier, none of them save for Darkwing Duck and maybe Goof Troop could fuck with this thought.

The thing I'm noticing with 80s vs. 90s though is the idea that while the 90s had more to its list of accolades around the board, the 80s had more staying power with its achievements. I hope that wasn't too confusing, my wording felt a little shaky there.

MotherFan

AzureJericho said:
What makes this all so funny to me though is the idea that while the rest of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are god tier, none of them save for Darkwing Duck and maybe Goof Troop could fuck with this thought.

The thing I'm noticing with 80s vs. 90s though is the idea that while the 90s had more to its list of accolades around the board, the 80s had more staying power with its achievements. I hope that wasn't too confusing, my wording felt a little shaky there.

Its like the 80s won more world series, but the 90s made it to the playoffs a bit more often. How's that analogy?

Salazar

Red Blaster said:
Genesis? Pfft. Boring dad-rock.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - while not entirely brilliant from start to finish - is far from boring, and it is certainly not Dad-rock.

Top Bottom