• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

BigDug13

When are December's numbers released?

This thread is about PS4 worldwide sales. So never is the answer I suppose. We never get month to month worldwide numbers.

NPD paints an inaccurate picture. PS4 and XBO are neck and neck on those numbers yet PS4 is nearly 2x in WW numbers.

Occam

Yeah, we won't get any numbers for Europe & Asia, as usual. And officially we probably won't get numbers for the USA, either.

truth411

no no no!

Everything I said is a PREDICTION. I've made that clear.

Just I'm being vague with my prediction.

1- I do expect Xbox One to have a price drop in 2015.
2- I don't know how long it'll have the price advantage.
3- Hence why I'm being vague
4- But I do predict X1 will drop the price lower than PS4 at some point in 2015. Similar to the $349 in 2014 we saw from MS.

I'm not going to predict the amount of days Xbox is cheaper haha. That's impossible to know.

By Holiday 15 Sony can drop the PS4 price to $299 if they want to. MS isn't going to drop the X1 price below $299. Both are getting 20nm APU about the same time but Sony will have 8Gbit GDDR5 soon not to mention GDDR5 chips cost are coming down. I see Sony in the driver's seat when it comes to price cuts.

no no no!

4- But I do predict X1 will drop the price lower than PS4 at some point in 2015. Similar to the $349 in 2014 we saw from MS.

I'm not going to predict the amount of days Xbox is cheaper haha. That's impossible to know.
Well, right on. Microsoft will cut the price. Totally agree. Zero chance it won't happen. What I don't understand is why you seem to discount the possibility of Sony being equally aggressive on pricing, especially when their box is cheaper to build.

Is it all about the timing for you? If MS announce at E3 and Sony announce a similar cut at Gamescom, do you really think that three-month difference during the off-season
will significantly change the Bone's fortunes?

You're certain Microsoft's impending cut will increase demand for the Bone, but you also seem fairly sure Sony's sales will remain flat at 15M, and begrudgingly concede it could be more. I don't see how Microsoft's cut really shifts the balance, unless you also assume Sony will answer it poorly. I don't know why you seem to assume that though. =/

Elandyll

Banned
no no no!

I think that the very reason why MS hasn't just dropped officially their price is that they didn't want to provoke Sony into doing a price drop of their own.
By making it "temporary" (although extended), they did not trigger that match, which was to their benefit during the Holidays (well, actually $ losses, but benefit in # of unit sold I guess hehe)

It is known that the PS4 has been built with price cuts in mind, so I pretty much expect the PS4 to be either on par at $349 if it happens during the first half of the year, or to go all the way to $299 anyway before the next Holiday period (fall 2015).

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well, right on. Microsoft will cut the price. Totally agree. Zero chance it won't happen. What I don't understand is why you seem to discount the possibility of Sony being equally aggressive on pricing, especially when their box is cheaper to build.

Is it all about the timing for you? If MS announce at E3 and Sony announce a similar cut at Gamescom, do you really think that three-month difference during the off-season
will significantly change the Bone's fortunes?

You're certain Microsoft's impending cut will increase demand for the Bone, but you also seem fairly sure Sony's sales will remain flat at 15M, and begrudgingly concede it could be more. I don't see how Microsoft's cut really shifts the balance, unless you also assume Sony will answer it poorly. I don't know why you seem to assume that though. =/

PS4 sales I've said will be over 35m at a minimum and up to 40m if PS4 drops the price. You can see this in one of my previous posts.

What I'm saying is that I'm 100% certain that MS will drop the price to an amount that will increase demand. Where as I'm not certain how low Sony will go with the PS4. Hence why I'm saying min 35, max 40. But without a doubt the PS4 will reach and exceed 35m before the end of 2015.

Again, all just my predictions.

Sony will probably drop the PS4's price some time this year. They've never gone two full years without a pricedrop after a consoles launch. The PS2 launched in October 2000 and had its first pricedrop in May 2002. It went from $300 to $200. But I could see them letting MS drop first just to see what their permanent pricedrop will be. They aren't going to want to go to $300 if MS is going to go to $350.

Sony will probably drop the PS4's price some time this year. They've never gone two full years without a pricedrop after a consoles launch. The PS2 launched in October 2000 and had its first pricedrop in May 2002. It went from $300 to $200. But I could see them letting MS drop first just to see what their permanent pricedrop will be. They aren't going to want to go to $300 if MS is going to go to $350.
they've also never been more financially desperate.

I don't know why you assume that you always lose money with price drop. They will drop the price if manufacturing expenses have dropped enough so they can generate more money trough greatly increased software sales and PS+ subscriptions. They also don't have to sell PS4 with loss ever like they did with PS3 because of their market position. MS dropped price this holiday season because they wanted to gain marketshare and mindshare quickly even if that meant less money for them.

I don't know why you assume that you always lose money with price drop. They will drop the price if manufacturing expenses have dropped enough so they can generate more money trough greatly increased software sales and PS+ subscriptions. They also don't have to sell PS4 with loss ever like they did with PS3 because of their market position. MS dropped price this holiday season because they wanted to gain marketshare and mindshare quickly even if that meant less money for them.

that's not what I'm saying. Sony hasn't been in a great financial state for a while, and Ps4s have been flying off the shelves for a year at $400. If they can continue selling like this at this price point, they might not cut the price because they're gonna want to make as much money as possible.

But I dunno. In my opinion cutting the price to $300 is still the right thing to do this year.

That's true, but I don't think that they're going to be stubborn and stick to a price if its clear that their sales are dropping off. It also depends on what they want out of this gen. Do they want to win in every territory like they did with the PSone and PS2? If so then they can't give up obvious price advantages. Right now it looks like if the PS4 will sell more in the US if it's at the same price as the Xbox One. Since MS brought the Xbox One back up to $400, the PS4 has been outselling it on Amazon. It's doing that in both the hourly and monthly charts. While we know that the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in the US in November, and it probably did the same for December. Although based on House's comments, the gap won't be anywhere near as large for December.

So again, if they want to win everywhere then they have to pay attention to pricing. And the US and UK seem to be the only place where that will stand, as they're much stronger everywhere else. Which means that they don't have to do the price matching everywhere.

That's true, but I don't think that they're going to be stubborn and stick to a price if its clear that their sales are dropping off. It also depends on what they want out of this gen. Do they want to win in every territory like they did with the PSone and PS2? If so then they can't give up obvious price advantages. Right now it looks like if the PS4 will sell more in the US if it's at the same price as the Xbox One. Since MS brought the Xbox One back up to $400, the PS4 has been outselling it on Amazon. It's doing that in both the hourly and monthly charts. While we know that the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in the US in November, and it probably did the same for December. Although based on House's comments, the gap won't be anywhere near as large for December.

So again, if they want to win everywhere then they have to pay attention to pricing. And the US and UK seem to be the only place where that will stand, as they're much stronger everywhere else. Which means that they don't have to do the price matching everywhere.

But sales haven't been dropping off for them have they? I do believe though that time is coming for its $100 price cut this year, whether mS does the same first or not. What did Andrew House say?

ZhugeEX

Banned
But sales having been dropping off for them have they? I do believe though that time is coming for its $100 price cut this year, whether mS does the same first or not. What did Andrew House say?

The PS4 is the fastest selling console this gen and pretty much ever. Only the Wii did better and by less than 1m units.

But sales having been dropping off for them have they? I do believe though that time is coming for its $100 price cut this year, whether mS does the same first or not. What did Andrew House say?

They haven't yet. I've always said that Sony will keep an eye on what's going on with MS to determine what they'll do as far pricing goes. They aren't going to jump the gun and pricedrop just because MS does, but I think they will drop if they start to notice a consistent sales pattern that's going against the PS4.

House said that November sales of the PS4 were "tougher" due to aggressive pricing from their competition. But he noted that December's results were more in line with their expectations.

The PS4 is the fastest selling console this gen and pretty much ever. Only the Wii did better and by less than 1m units.
well that's great news. Like I said before I truly hope it beats the Ps2's lifetime sales, although since no one cares about consoles in Japan anymore that may be hard to reach.
They haven't yet. I've always said that Sony will keep an eye on what's going on with MS to determine what they'll do as far pricing goes. They aren't going to jump the gun and pricedrop just because MS does, but I think they will drop if they start to notice a consistent sales pattern that's going against the PS4.

House said that November sales of the PS4 were "tougher" due to aggressive pricing from their competition. But he noted that December's results were more in line with their expectations.

Sorry, I meant to say haven't*. And, Sony didn't seem to care when M$ dropped it's price $50 and then another $30 for bf. And it cost them november sales, although by itself consoles were good.

Okay, so were November's sales lower than expectation for hem?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do we really know this when Wii's numbers were shipped and not sold in?

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames

PS4 Still handily on top in Jan sales since the price reversal. I think Sony will be taking Jan

errrrrrrr..... shipped and sold in is the same thing?????

Do you mean Sold in and Sold through?

We know that Wii sold in 20.13m by now. PS4 will probably have sold in between 19m-20m. My estimate would be closer to 20m. So my post above is still true. The PS4 is the fastest selling console. Only the Wii could have done better, but by less than 1m units. In all likelihood it'll be much less than 1m.

And yes sold in and sold through are different. But we all know the Wii saw amazing demand, and similarly the PS4 has seen huge demand.

ZhugeEX

Banned
well that's great news. Like I said before I truly hope it beats the Ps2's lifetime sales, although since no one cares about consoles in Japan anymore that may be hard to reach.

I don't think the PS4 will replicates PS2's sales in the long term. Certainly in the short term it'll do better.

November was only lower for PS4 because MS had an amazing $349 bundle.

ZhugeEX

Banned
And at a much cheaper price tag.

Console gaming also wasn't dead in Japan back then.

Yup,

The Wii's price tag and appeal to casuals was just a couple of the reasons why It did so well.

Also have to remember that Wii sold everything they sold all the way through 2008 and it was only then that supply was exceeding demand. The PS4 has seen huge demand but not on the same level. If the Wii did have a larger supply then who knows how it would have sold.

I do understand why people use the Japan argument but as I've said before, emerging markets and Europe have replaced Japan's numbers.

Rolf NB

that's not what I'm saying. Sony hasn't been in a great financial state for a while, and Ps4s have been flying off the shelves for a year at $400. If they can continue selling like this at this price point, they might not cut the price because they're gonna want to make as much money as possible.

But I dunno. In my opinion cutting the price to $300 is still the right thing to do this year.
Even the local optimum, just looking at the Playstation division, still lies in the direction of higher software sales through a bigger install base. If they can drop the price and still sell hardware at cost, or very close to cost, they will.

I don't think the PS4 will replicates PS2's sales in the long term. Certainly in the short term it'll do better.

November was only lower for PS4 because MS had an amazing $349 bundle.

Would you say there is a chance it can still cross 100 million sold worldwide?

Even the local optimum, just looking at the Playstation division, still lies in the direction of higher software sales through a bigger install base. If they can drop the price and still sell hardware at cost, or very close to cost, they will.

like I said I do believe the best thing to do is cut the price. But we don't know what they have planned.

My point was that they will drop the price it they see that it will make them more money (smaller margin per unit but more units sold, increased software sales, increased PS+ subscriptions etc.). Their financial state in this case doesn't matter at all. Their financial situation would matter if PS4 would be new PS3 and they would have to sell it with loss.

Sorry, I meant to say haven't*. And, Sony didn't seem to care when M$ dropped it's price $50 and then another $30 for bf. And it cost them november sales, although by itself consoles were good.

I think that's because MS were saying that it was a temporary drop, which is what it's turned out to be. They tried to counter it with bundles instead of an actual pricedrop, and that didn't seem to work as well as they'd hoped.

That seems to be what he was saying without actually putting it in those exact words. They were likely expecting to hit a million in November.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Would you say there is a chance it can still cross 100 million sold worldwide?

Could do.

But that's not something I can accurately predict at this point. Looks like it can do at this point though.

If only Japan wasn't dead

See post 5224.

Japan isn't the be all and end all of gaming.

The Wii sold in 15.15m units outside Japan. In the same time frame the PS4 has sold in at least more than 17.5m units (more likely 18m+) outside Japan. So just because Japan isn't buying as much doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't. Sales in ROW and Europe are higher than they were last gen at this point and are accounting for the lack of Japan sales.

My point was that they will drop the price it they see that it will make them more money (smaller margin per unit but more units sold, increased software sales, increased PS+ subscriptions etc.). Their financial state in this case doesn't matter at all. Their financial situation would matter if PS4 would be new PS3 and they would have to sell it with loss.
I understood what you meant, I was saying since the sales are doing what they are with its current price tag they might aim to make the most profit as possible. But yes, it is likely at this point that they'd maybe make more money and move consoles even faster by cutting the price.
I think that's because MS were saying that it was a temporary drop, which is what it's turned out to be. They tried to counter it with bundles instead of an actual pricedrop, and that didn't seem to work as well as they'd hoped.

That seems to be what he was saying without actually putting it in those exact words. They were likely expecting to hit a million in November.

Sorry again I meant to say console sales* were good. ah man. I suppose they fell short because they underestimated how aggressive mS planned to be.

ZhugeEX

Banned
If only Japan wasn't dead

Looks like my predictions do come true haha.

Called it saying that MS will have the price advantage over Sony for some time and now from Jan 16th the Xbox One will be officially $349.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I believe the Xbox One will have a slight boost this year in overall sales. The PS4 will still outsell it by miles worldwide, but Xbox One sales aren't suddenly going to drop to zero like some people here make out. They'll continue to do okay ish and this year should be up ever so slightly YOY.

So it seems that MS has chosen $350 as their pricedrop point. A $50 cut should be much easier for Sony to swallow than a $100 cut. A late February/March drop would make sense. Right in time for The Order, MLB, Bloodborne and all the multiplatform releases.

Melchiah

So it seems that MS has chosen $350 as their pricedrop point. A $50 cut should be much easier for Sony to swallow than a $100 cut. A late February/March drop would make sense. Right in time for The Order, MLB, Bloodborne and all the multiplatform releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a 50€ cut at E3.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a 50€ cut at E3.

I was thinking that they'd do it earlier for two reasons. To block MS from getting the overall lead in the US, and to make it less likely that MS would do another pricedrop anywhere near their pricedrop.

Edit: It's interesting that MS didn't say anything about the overall sales of the Xbox One. Only that it sold more int he US in December and November. No updated worldwide numbers at all. They couldn't even mention the UK this time since the PS4 sold more in December.

E3 is already earlier than their usual 'Gamescom drop'

At the same time they likely don't want to let MS close the gap in the US. If Sony takes January in the US they'll probably wait for E3 and announce it along side their current World Wide number, but if MS wins January they might have a price drop along side either The Order 1886 or Bloodborne, probably the latter.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I was thinking that they'd do it earlier for two reasons. To block MS from getting the overall lead in the US, and to make it less likely that MS would do another pricedrop anywhere near their pricedrop.

Edit: It's interesting that MS didn't say anything about the overall sales of the Xbox One. Only that it sold more int he US in December and November. No updated worldwide numbers at all. They couldn't even mention the UK this time since the PS4 sold more in December.

MS won't lead in the USA even with this price drop.

MS won't lead in the USA even with this price drop.

I don't know, it's hard to say, they could come back in this second half on January and for most of February and close the gap some more, but I see the PS4 selling better at the end of February and through March. Who knows, it's a close race.

I understood what you meant, I was saying since the sales are doing what they are with its current price tag they might aim to make the most profit as possible. But yes, it is likely at this point that they'd maybe make more money and move consoles even faster by cutting the price.
If Sony aren't selling the console at a loss, then it's not eating in to whatever cash they currently have on hand. Therefore, it's not actively bankrupting them. That being the case, better to cut the price, because more consoles in the wild means more games and subscriptions sold, and it helps the snowball effect. "Well, all of my friends already have one…"

Oh, MS already announced a $50 cut? That was quick. lol When does it kick in?

Top Bottom