• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

IrishNinja

A no-Sony future is a horrifying thought.

no doubt, but i don't think we're that far gone just yet. gaming division still represents one of their biggest areas of potential growth, does it not? i mean, if they can again capitalize upon it.

Regarding software that would be sad indeed. I could easily live without any of their hardware brands.

never got this attitude - i didn't buy an xbox last gen, but im glad it was around for its offerings. there really wouldnt've been much western development breaking into the scene without it, for example.

Can't SEGA be blamed for their own demise?

...yes, but it still stings man

Dunno,Sony is just with us since the mid 90s, and we are surviving without SEGA consoles just fine too right now,I think Microsoft and Nintendo can handle the market and gamers well if Sony went bye-bye.

highly debatable

Matt

How so? Wasn't this to be expected after he got his promotion? How can you be the President and CEO of Sony as a whole AND CEO of SCE? That's a bit much and probably impossible for a single person. Seems to me that the wording, "he stepped down" is misused or misinterpreted. It implies that its because of poor performance on his part, but rather quite the opposite cause its due to a promotion.

No. He was Chairman of SCE, not CEO. If everything was OK, he would have stayed in that position. Changes like these are made to show shareholders that the company is serious about fixing their problems. I.E., Kaz is taking some of the fall for these numbers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
How so? Wasn't this to be expected after he got his promotion? How can you be the President and CEO of Sony as a whole AND CEO of SCE? That's a bit much and probably impossible for a single person. Seems to me that the wording, "he stepped down" is misused or misinterpreted. It implies that its because of poor performance on his part, but rather quite the opposite cause its due to a promotion.
Will the job still exist? If so that is quite a bad communication move not to announce who will replace him in the same press release.

stilgar

Gemüsepizza;39281182 said:
I don't see how appointing a dedicated CEO for one of Sonys most important branches is a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing per se; that means they're not satisfied with the results they just had. Which is understandable...however, I don't see how Kaz Hirai could have done anything different in such a small amount of time.

Pistolero

The 1 billion figure wasn't uttered by Sony CTO. It was a simple speculation by the author of the article...

L-O-L. How about PS1 and PS2? You think PS4 will be cutting edge now that we've known Sony's financial situation for some time? Think again, kid.

I don't know in which alternate universe you've been living, but both the PS1 and PS2 were cutting tech at their respective launch dates...

Regarding the topic, who do you think would assume the role of SCE leader?

DieH@rd

Banned
what the fuck? is this legit? this needs to be its own thread!

GO READ ENTIRE ARTICLE. He got promoted to be chairman of entire Sony, so he left his position as a head of SCE. There is nothing new here, except that now he finally moved from old job to the new one.

IrishNinja

GO READ ENTIRE ARTICLE. He got promoted to be chairman of entire Sony, so he left his position as a head of SCE. There is nothing new here, except that now he finally moved from old job to the new one.

oh, fuck, just made a thread for it too, haha

Limanima

This strange and a big surprise. How is it possible to go from profit to a billion deficit when nothing has changed?
Maybe I've taken this all wrong.
Could be this because of Vita, or maybe it's something PS4 related? Some investment has to be made...

No. He was Chairman of SCE, not CEO. If everything was OK, he would have stayed in that position. Changes like these are made to show shareholders that the company is serious about fixing their problems. I.E., Kaz is taking some of the fall for these numbers.

still didint address what I was saying. How can you still even be a Representative Director and Chairman, while being a President and CEO at the same time? A position like this still holds a lot of responsibilities, no? One person cant do everything.

Matt

still didint address what I was saying. How can you still even be a Representative Director and Chairman, while being a President and CEO at the same time? A position like this still holds a lot of responsibilities, no? One person cant do everything.

It really depends, being Chairman dosen not necessarily mean you have a lot to do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony are pretty much the only platform owner willing to invest in innovation. Look at the PSN games they've supported. and with their big retail titles they've at least tried something different

If they go under, its not just any old company going down due to competition, things will be fine. If they go under, we have less choice and less innovation in the market. MS already don't invest so much in first party titles, and if Sony go under there will be even less incentive to do so.

TheOddOne

SCEE targeting 13 million PS3 sales for fiscal 13
"I'm going to go out there and nail it," says SCEE boss.

SCEE is aiming to sell 13 million PlayStation 3 consoles between April 2012 and March 2013, SCEE boss Jim Ryan has told VideoGamer.

"We're really just focussing on PS3 right now," Ryan told us during E3.

"We've got a target, which is a matter of public record, of 13 million units to sell this fiscal year. It's pretty demanding, but given the software that was on display we've got a pretty good crack at that.

"I'm given demanding, aggressive numbers to meet, and that's what I'm focussed on right now. I think [SCE Worldwide Studios president] Shuhei Yoshida's team has given me the tools to do that. I'm going to go out there and nail it."

The figure does seem fairly ambitious. The latest figures released by SCEE revealed that the firm had sold 22m PS3s across Europe in the four years between its 2007 launch and August 16, 2011.

Sony had sold 63.9m PlayStation 3s globally by March 2012.

SCEE hasn't forgotten about Vita, though.

"We've just got to focus on building install base, and that's what we do," added Ryan.

"We've been in the market three months now and we're perfectly comfortable with the way the thing is doing. We run our lives on a five-to-ten horizon with these things, and we're looking at our product strategy in those sorts of terms, looking at content strategy in those sorts of terms, looking forward to Christmas 2012.

"I'm pleased with the software line-up, and I think it's going to do very well."

TheOddOne

Vita is supposed to be very close to a profit at launch. It shouldn't take long.
Is this still the case?

Sony to sell PlayStation Vita for a loss, Profitable in 3yrs
In an interview with Reuters Japan, Sony’s Kaz Hirai stated that Sony aims to make a profit on the PlayStation Vita in three years. Sony often sells their hardware at a lost, so this isn’t anything new for the company as they sold the PlayStation 3 at a loss despite the $600 price tag. Out of the three home-console manufacturers, Nintendo is usually the only company to make a profit on hardware right away due to their conservative nature of building their hardware.

That 13M seems awfully ambitious... :/
Wait. SCE alone has $17B in expenses?! WTF. That doesn't sound right at all.
No. That's Sony Corp as a whole. According to this SG&A costs are ~$1B.
I have no doubt that Sony overall can bleed money but this is specifically SCE. Look at the FY2006 report, they lost 1.9 billion and that was when PS3 was lossing like 300/400 a unit. Doesn't really make sense.
Dunno. Might look into past earnings releases more closely. Is rather confusing.
I believe the original Reuters article indicates reference is being made to Vita as an overall venture, not per unit.

Also in response to the person wanting a translation: http://translate.google.co.nz/trans...626/20120626g00138/pdf/20120626g001380148.pdf

Didn't they target 15 million last year, and end doing something in the neighborhood of 14.4?

I wonder if this is evidence for or against a price drop this year... could go either way but going by the fact that they did a price drop last year(though $199 really is the sweet spot, not $250), industry is in overall decline at the moment, and Sony doesn't really have any big software titles for the holiday like they did last year with U3, I'm gonna say this suggests a price drop is coming.

Hopefully they can exceed this target by better than expected performance of PS All-Stars(bundle anyone?) and a price drop.

Why would it take so long if they were already so close to profit? I remember reading a report that said the 3G version was sold at a slight profit, and the Wi-fi only version was sold at a slight loss. That has to be incorrect? Either that or it costs a lot more produce then estimated AND Sony plans on not changing the hardware at all for 3 years. Which completely goes against what they did with the PSP and all its revisions.

bring on ps4 sony.

How will new hardware solve their problems when they're finally at a point where they can make money off of the PS3? Especially since they've just introduced a failing piece of hardware in the Vita that's gotta be losing them a ton of money at this point. I'd love to see what investor meetins are like nowadays at Sony. It can't be good, but I bet its entertaining.

Dalthien

That 13M seems awfully ambitious... :/

For Europe alone - that number is impossible. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding by the author of the article.

IIRC, the FY targets given at the end of last FY were 16M for PS3+PS2 this year. This interview sounds like he is just breaking down that combined target and confirming 13M PS3 + 3M PS2 for the year worldwide.

I'm not sure why he's referring to it as particularly ambitious though, considering it's actually down from previous years.

Oh I read the Jim Ryan quote wrong. 13M target isn't anything new.
There's no way that's happening, based on these numbers.

The current gross profit margin on SCE's revenues according to this is 0.28%.

can you explain why that means they wouldn't drop the price of the PS3? Are you implying they would gain or loose profit margin with a price drop? Obviously they would drop the price with a hardware revision. 32nm process for Cell and RSX has been a long time coming, and there are people who say they will move it all onto one SoC like MS did with 360 slim. This should decrease the manufacturing costs by quite a bit and still leave plenty of room for profit at $199.

Striek

For Europe alone - that number is impossible. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding by the author of the article.
Yeah... the way that article is written makes it sound like they're targetting 13M for Europe...which would be hilariously far off.

How will new hardware solve their problems when they're finally at a point where they can make money off of the PS3? Especially since they've just introduced a failing piece of hardware in the Vita that's gotta be losing them a ton of money at this point. I'd love to see what investor meetins are like nowadays at Sony. It can't be good, but I bet its entertaining.

sony will keep on selling ps3 hw and games for a few years, assuming ps3 comes out in fall 2013, spring 2014, they still have pretty much two years of strong sales of sw and hw on that machine.

orioto

Good Art™
I really hope for them they have some better tech than Microsoft for the next console, cause if this is a money burning contest, they're clearly dead.

Neo C.

Why would it take so long if they were already so close to profit? I remember reading a report that said the 3G version was sold at a slight profit, and the Wi-fi only version was sold at a slight loss. That has to be incorrect? Either that or it costs a lot more produce then estimated AND Sony plans on not changing the hardware at all for 3 years. Which completely goes against what they did with the PSP and all its revisions.

Who knows, perhaps they didn't include all the R&D costs properly for the sake of PR ("Vita close to profit!").

can you explain why that means they wouldn't drop the price of the PS3? Are you implying they would gain or loose profit margin with a price drop? Obviously they would drop the price with a hardware revision. 32nm process for Cell and RSX has been a long time coming, and there are people who say they will move it all onto one SoC like MS did with 360 slim. This should decrease the manufacturing costs by quite a bit and still leave plenty of room for profit at $199.
Because even if they reduce costs, it makes more sense to maintain the price - so that they can increase this margin substantially.

That slim margin is the gross profit margin. There are other costs that the revenues need to cover besides the cost of the goods.

When other costs in SCE are taken into account as this doc appears to detail, there are losses being taken.

On further reading the 13m target is unbelievable (even it is is worldwide).

The PS3 sold less than 1m units from January - April 2010 (14 weeks) in Europe.

Indeed, over 1 million units worldwide every month?

Considering the PS3 is selling < 150,000 in the US and less than < 150,000 in Japan...

They probably been doing around 400k+ WW thanks to Europe. Its possible if they do around 7-8 million between Sept.(when they would probably do a price drop, maybe Aug.) and Dec. Then they would have around 2 to 2.5million more to sell between Jan and March 31st.

edit: For reference according to this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473601&highlight=sony+financial+2011+results

They did 6.5mil WW last year between Oct and Dec. With a price drop to $199 7-8mil from Sep to Dec. is possible. The total for last year was 13.9.

DSc

I'm the author of the article published this morning. That 13m figure is the global PS3 sales target for FY12/13, Sony has clarified.

Top Bottom