• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

orochi91

All this means is that if a new Crash game is in development, it will not be exclusive to PS4. Likely timed exclusive, but that's it.

Edit: or they can licence it, I keep forgetting that, lol

Well, yeah.

If you check the trademark database, you'll clearly see that Activision still owns the trademark for "Crash Bandicoot." If Sony did make some deal to acquire Crash Bandicoot, it wouldn't make sense for the trademark to be transferred until after it's announced, otherwise it would ruin the surprise. Looking at the European trademark database, it shows that the Gears of War trademark wasn't transferred to Microsoft until February 20, 2014, which is a month after Microsoft announced it had acquired the IP.

The point is, something could be going on with Crash at Sony, and saying Activision "owns the rights" wouldn't actually be a lie, at least right now.

Edit: And honestly, that's the only thing that makes sense given the fact that (spoiler about a big game releasing shortly)
neither Crash or Acti are mentioned in U4's credits

Preach! :)

Crash confirmed then , they just want to surprise people, I remember that out of nowhere there was a shit ton of rumors and speculation for shenmue , ffvi remake and tlg with flags and banners being made. I don't know if it's going to be great or shit
most likely just okay but there will be people claiming it's the GOTY and others saying it's shit, almost no middle ground
but I'm now sure is happening, this is like a carbon copy of last year.

hemo memo

Why are they keeping the Crash IP? They're Not interested in making new games yet they don't want to sell the IP.

Mar Nosso

Banned
People, let's keep in mind that in these kind of situations, companies have to lie about the legal standings and procedures until changes have been officially confirmed. For legal reasons and for stockholders and whatnot.

brawly

Well, yeah.

If you check the trademark database, you'll clearly see that Activision still owns the trademark for "Crash Bandicoot." If Sony did make some deal to acquire Crash Bandicoot, it wouldn't make sense for the trademark to be transferred until after it's announced, otherwise it would ruin the surprise. Looking at the European trademark database, it shows that the Gears of War trademark wasn't transferred to Microsoft until February 20, 2014, which is a month after Microsoft announced it had acquired the IP.

The point is, something could be going on with Crash at Sony, and saying Activision "owns the rights" wouldn't actually be a lie, at least right now.

Edit: And honestly, that's the only thing that makes sense given the fact that (spoiler about a big game releasing shortly)
neither Crash or Acti are mentioned in U4's credits

You tell 'em!

I could see them updating the trademark live at E3.

Also:

Crash 3 start up -> "Sony Computer Entertainment presents. A Universal Interactive Studios production. Created and Developped, by Naughty Dog" (I will never ever forget this)

So it could be -> "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents. An Activision Blizzard production."

I don't understand why people though otherwise? I mean really why were people thinking that he was moving back to Naughty Dog?

I don't understand why people though otherwise? I mean really why were people thinking that he was moving back to Naughty Dog?

Actually everyone expected a simple license deal at best 'till a particular spoiler detail has appeared that is very, very weird unless the license was bought.

Actually everyone expected a simple license deal at best 'till a particular spoiler detail has appeared that is very, very weird unless the license was bought.

Yes that "uncharted 4" thing. Let me refresh your memoery however.

Sony has the distribution rights for the first 4-5 Crash games. Last I check on my PSPS versions, Activisions name is nowhere to be found.

SO
having drake play a level of an emulated version of a game they have distribution right to,
of course won't have Activisions marks anywhere.

I think the most anyone can hope for with a Sony x Activision team up here is Sony co marketing for a so so Activision developed game and maybe a ps4 release of the ps1 games with trophies

RK128

Sony has the distribution rights for the first 4-5 Crash games. Last I check on my PSPS versions, Activisions name is nowhere to be found.

SO
having drake play a level of an emulated version of a game they have distribution right to,
of course won't have Activisions marks anywhere.

But the version in that specific game isn't emulated; updated level assets, new animations, new icons and even new timer/scoring system implemented.

I picture either of the following to be the case:
A) Sony has a co-marketing deal for 2-3 games with Activision where Naughty Dog/Someone Else makes the Crash games for PS Systems only.
B) Sony bought the IP or exchanged it with another older IP they do not use anymore with Activision.

LowSignal

I expect to see a Crash VR game and a special Spider-Man experience for PsVR this E3. They will need something to make people want to buy VR.

Sponge

Banned

They do have distribution rights to those games, but Activision still had to be credited for Crash 1-3 art used in Naughty Dog's art book. So that really doesn't make sense.

But the version in that specific game isn't emulated; updated level assets, new animations, new icons and even new timer/scoring system implemented.

I picture either of the following to be the case:
A) Sony has a co-marketing deal for 2-3 games with Activision where Naughty Dog/Someone Else makes the Crash games for PS Systems only.
B) Sony bought the IP or exchanged it with another older IP they do not use anymore with Activision.

Except point A can't happen because Activisoons name isn't on Uncharted 4. Even though the game may not be emulated entirely, they still have distribution rights for Crash 10-3. This is why the PSN versions on PSP etc. had no Activison logos on them unless they suddenly did it out the blue.

Point B is wishful thinking.

They do have distribution rights to those games, but Activision still had to be credited for Crash 1-3 art used in Naughty Dog's art book. So that really doesn't make sense.

An artbook is a game now? You guys are getting a bit too into this Crash thing because you are throwing logic out the window here. How?

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 software having no Activison logos and distribution rights belonging to SOny=/=Art book.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
You think they sold it to Sony only within just the last month?

That's insanity.

With naughty dog dev saying they wanting to do crash something in uncharted 4 last year but needed Activision approval who said NO!

And having that crash thing still in game is pretty telling with no activi mention.

Could easily read as a last minute thing. N people who played that segment says it feels a bit rushed etc too.

Either way the main thing is if they dont have Activision approval or own the ip they could easily be taken to court. N considering the comments naughty dog said they obviously researched the case prior.

So something has changed since now n then.

Fumpster

I don't have any personal stake in Crash, but isn't it still possible a game could be made underneath a Sony studio even though it's an Activision property?

RK128

Except point A can't happen because Activisoons name isn't on Uncharted 4. Even though the game may not be emulated entirely, they still have distribution rights for Crash 10-3. This is why the PSN versions on PSP etc. had no Activison logos on them unless they suddenly did it out the blue.

Point B is wishful thinking.

Sony has IP that they have gathering dust in the corner (like Lemmings) they could offer for a trade but not likely like you said.

They could make Point A work through announcing that a deal has been made post-Uncharted 4 launch.

An artbook is a game now? You guys are getting a bit too into this Crash thing because you are throwing logic out the window here. How?

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 software having no Activison logos and distribution rights belonging to SOny=/=Art book.
Why are you so vehemently against this?

Sponge

Banned

I don't really see how I'm throwing logic out the window, it's still Activision's IP and that's exactly why they still had to give credit.
Naughty Dog said months ago they couldn't put Crash in UC4 due to it not being their IP yet here we are

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-crash-bandicoot-ps4-game-inside-uncharted-4/

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I mean, how can you use Crash, by name and everything, and not have to list that it's Activision's IP in the credits or anywhere at all? First game or not, Activision owned the character who appears by name to boot.

Thry wouldn't spoil a big surprise like that, especially before E3 or the game even released, but something is very fishy.

fernoca

Let's face it, who could've even developed a new Crash game for realz? The IP is so tainted by the output post PS1 era.
I'll add that it was "tainted" for no reason. Most of the complaints back then were literally around "is not made by ND anymore".

The first game not done by ND (Wrath of Cortex) was literally more of the same which ironically is what some want ...now.

The others (Twinsanity, Mind Over Mutant, Of the Titans) all expanded upon it with bigger areas to explore, a fun script, a more cartoony and exagerated visual style, along a few gimmicks to spice things up (tagging along Dr. Cortex, controlling enemies,etc.)...and Tag Team Racing was a really well done kart racer.

Then there were the GBA games done by Vicarious Visions which all were good and played basically like the PSone games.

Yet, people ignored the games and now seem to be happy just with a remake of the first game "ala Ratchet".

Heck, a remake of Twinsanity would be better. XD

But, yeah...if done by Activision, Vicarious Visions would be the best choice. They already had some experience with Crash, experimented even on a console game years ago and their Skylanders games in consoles (Swap Force and Superchargers) has been the better entries in the series.

RK128

I don't think he is against the idea of Crash coming back, just trying to piece logic together for reasons why Crash WILL NOT come back. I could buy some of it honestly but so much is pointing to Crash coming back in some way this year.

Fredrik

Let's face it, who could've even developed a new Crash game for realz? The IP is so tainted by the output post PS1 era.
Naughty Dog. Take any chase/chased scene from the Uncharted serie, swap Nathan with Crash, cartoonify the graphics and theme. Use the same chase camera for the platforming. Crash Bandicoot 4(?). 10's everywhere. :)

cheesekao

That's because Universal owned the IP at that time and PS1 games can't be altered.

FaintDeftone

no-fun.jpg

Oh boy! I'm not gullible enough to believe him.
If it still were Activision's property you couldn't straight up put a friggin Crash Bandicoot mini game into Uncharted 4 without mentioning Activision in the credits. Sony couldn't include him in PS All-Stars for legal reasons, so something must have changed now.

Crash isn't mentioned at all in the credits so Activision won't be mentioned.

I wonder if they will patch it in.

Sponge

Banned
If it still were Activision's property you couldn't straight up put a friggin Crash Bandicoot mini game into Uncharted 4 without mentioning Activision in the credits. Sony couldn't include him in PS All-Stars for legal reasons, so something must have changed now.

Naughty Dog wouldn't lie and say they couldn't put Crash in UC4 over a year ago either. Suddenly it's okay now?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-crash-bandicoot-ps4-game-inside-uncharted-4/

Do you know how surprises work?

Do you know how rights registration works?

Im more against people putting things together out of thin air.

I don't really see how I'm throwing logic out the window, it's still Activision's IP and that's exactly why they still had to give credit.
Naughty Dog said months ago they couldn't put Crash in UC4 due to it not being their IP yet here we are

Look at the way they put it in. It's a level from the first game basically the same for the most part, which they have rights to.

That's because Universal owned the IP at that time and PS1 games can't be altered.

Pretty sure universal didn't own the IP when they started putting Crash on PSN.

Do you see Activisions name in those PSN games? No? But here's the difference, you can't put a level of Crash 1 in All-stars, you would have to recreate him for the game, which means they would need ask permission.

Naughty Dog wouldn't lie and say they couldn't put Crash in UC4 over a year ago either. Suddenly it's okay now?

Why do we keep going down this road which has no logic imo. Because Crash 1 on PSN does not have Activision in it, thus if that's the only way they put Crash in Uncharted 4, why would they need to put in Activision? Most likely originally, Naughty Dogg wanted to do something original with Crash, which is why it was not possible at the time to put Crash in Uncharted 4. It's the most logical reason.

Top Bottom