• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

We had at least two well known insiders hinting at Crash being at E3 here on GAF - along with Crash in U4. Sonys involvement was hinted as well. It's is very obvious and the hints are everywhere and even Sony isn't that subtle.
imageatdia.jpeg

It is basically confirmed at this point and I'm willing to bet my avatar on it.

The fact that people are clinging for dear life on a single pic from 2013 makes it seem far from confirmed in my eyes

komplanen

As in right now? What a bout a few weeks from now just before the announcement after the papers get signed in some law-firm somewhere?

THOUGHT SO! You can't fool me, Sony :-3

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If there is no Crash announced this E3 Sony has some sick notion of humor.

Has Sony been joking about it?

Edit: With Activision being Activision, I feel like if they thought they could make bank off of new Crash Bandicoot titles, they would have flooded the market with them by now.

Rajang

Ofcourse they own Crash.. untill the Crash reboot is announced at E3.

Shawn Layden wearing a Crash shirt was just them doing another FFVII troll and then coming out with a big announcement at E3.

Why would there be "no reason"? The games are gangbusters on PSN and there's a strong demand for a new game. There's money to be made with that name alone.

All of this cant be a "coincidence." You don't expect a guy walk on stage with a Crash shirt and not even acknowledge it.

Probably not as much money as you think, if there was why hasn't there another one made since 2008?

And yes you can wear a shirt with Crash on it and not acknowledge it. Crash is part of the legacy of Playstation, just because someone wears a shirt doesn't mean anything.

Concept17

Couldn't Sony just work WITH Activision on the game? Or are we ignoring this possibility because oh no anyone but Activision?

SNURB

Probably not as much money as you think, if there was why hasn't there another one made since 2008?

And yes you can wear a shirt with Crash on it and not acknowledge it. Crash is part of the legacy of Playstation, just because someone wears a shirt doesn't mean anything.

Well, shit like that led to a GOW4 announcement
0C305CAB-E577-4C6E-8D7F-E2607AAE21B6_zps9isoqicn.jpg

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Why would there be "no reason"? The games are gangbusters on PSN and there's a strong demand for a new game. There's money to be made with that name alone.

All of this cant be a "coincidence." You don't expect a guy walk on stage with a Crash shirt and not even acknowledge it.

Do we have any actual sales numbers on the Crash Bandicoot PSN sales? Them being at the top of a top ten list doesn't really amount to a whole lot.

Sony has the distribution rights for the first 4-5 Crash games. Last I check on my PSPS versions, Activisions name is nowhere to be found.

SO
of course won't have Activisions marks anywhere.

That's not how it works, mate. The PS1 games are clearly marked on store as being trademarked and sometimes copyrighted by Universal Interactive. Now obviously that isn't exactly Activision but it can be easily verified that it roughly is now, and seemingly wasn't when they put them on PSN.

Given how extensive credits are these days, a mention of Activision or some formal owner of Crash should be there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I dont see how rights being at Activision should temper the hype down. Dont could still fund the game

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

It's the best sellers of the Playstation Classics charts, which doesn't really mean much of anything.

For one, of course it'll be the top sellers on that chart, Crash Bandicoot is the most popular franchise from the PSOne library.

Secondly, being the top of a top ten with no actual sales numbers doesn't really mean anything. Crash Bandicoot could be the top of a top ten list if it only sold ten copies, assuming everything else sold less than that.

SNURB

It's the best sellers of the Playstation Classics charts, which doesn't really mean much of anything.

For one, of course it'll be the top sellers on that chart, Crash Bandicoot is the most popular franchise from the PSOne library.

Secondly, being the top of a top ten with no actual sales numbers doesn't really mean anything. Crash Bandicoot could be the top of a top ten list if it only sold ten copies, assuming everything else sold less than that.

This was from 2013 but, the original game alone was downloaded 500,000 times on PSN. Pretty sure the number of downloads increased by then:
http://www.centurygaming.co.uk/2013/08/crash-bandicoot-secures-over-500000.html?m=1

Euron

So you seriously doubt what BruceLeeRoy said?
I don't doubt that Crash is incoming on PS4, far too many signs for there to be otherwise but can you provide a link to this? I don't think I've seen this particular hint.

E3 2015 ruined the element of surprise going forward. Having TLG, FF7:R, and Shenmue 3 all at one press conference shows just how self aware Sony is and the Crash shirt during PSX last year was a dead giveaway. People will be pissed if Crash is NOT at E3 at this rate.

The point is Sony has to credit Activision even if they have the publishing rights to the first three games if they use the Crash IP in any shape or form in the current era. Disagree all you want. This isn't even up for debate.

No they don't and the current versions of the re-released PSX proves it. A point you keep circling around for some reason.

That's not how it works, mate. The PS1 games are clearly marked on store as being trademarked and sometimes copyrighted by Universal Interactive. Now obviously that isn't exactly Activision but it can be easily verified that it roughly is now, and seemingly wasn't when they put them on PSN.

Given how extensive credits are these days, a mention of Activision or some formal owner of Crash should be there.

NO one of the current re-releases from around present to the later years of last gen has Activision been in any of the PSX Crash Bandicoot games.

What's hilarious is people whoa re still going on about this are basically saying that SOny themselves are liars.

styl3s

Why would Activison sell it? If Sony wanted to make a new Crash game, they'd need to license the rights.
Could be a Capcom scenario.

Just because Activision own it doesn't mean that Sony/Activision can't make some kind of deal.

SNURB

Considering Playstation Classics launched in 2006, I dunno if 500,000 sales over the course of seven years is a huge deal.

What more do you want? We get it, you think the games played and sold like shit and will do shit nowadays but the truth is that these games are still top sellers and have been on the charts for nearly a decade. If that doesn't get through to you, then I don't know what will.

Taker34

Banned
What did he say?

I don't doubt that Crash is incoming on PS4, far too many signs for there to be otherwise but can you provide a link to this? I don't think I've seen this particular hint.

E3 2015 ruined the element of surprise going forward. Having TLG, FF7:R, and Shenmue 3 all at one press conference shows just how self aware Sony is and the Crash shirt during PSX last year was a dead giveaway. People will be pissed if Crash is NOT at E3 at this rate.

He said quite a lot actually:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ERv3FF_GYQY9TyLSu2b5PJu-vMcGCJSTR0MSyN8IgU/pub

Considering Playstation Classics launched in 2006, I dunno if 500,000 sales over the course of seven years is a huge deal.

That's just in the PAL regions. Plus consider that Crash 2 and 3 also have been non-stop on top of the charts.

For games that are apparently cataclysmically outdated they sure seem to sell a bit anyway.

Playsage

Negative, you seem to not be aware of how it works. There may be a clause or similar that allows light editing without messing around with the games code. The Uncharted 4 demo would cross that line. I've seen this before with other things.

You are using the same illogical excuse other people are, if Acti is not in the credits, Sony ahs the IP, but if Sony has the IP, why is R,TM, and (C)< the still under Activision?
That is too specific for this particular situation, so I call bullshit on this.

Also, you have the developers claim that they didn't have the permission for implementing the minigame during an interview some time ago.

Then I wouldn't call the changes to the minigames "minor", I'd bet there are actually new assets in it.

Has Sony been joking about it?

Edit: With Activision being Activision, I feel like if they thought they could make bank off of new Crash Bandicoot titles, they would have flooded the market with them by now.

Crash doesn't sell 5-7+ Million copies every game which is usually what it takes for Activision to milk something. Neither did Spyro

As in right now? What a bout a few weeks from now just before the announcement after the papers get signed in some law-firm somewhere?

THOUGHT SO! You can't fool me, Sony :-3

Oh come on. That's not how it works.

It made money, there's a difference between making money and being able to continue to make the same profits. Crash's formula even in racing format could only go so far without a change up.

Couldn't Sony just work WITH Activision on the game? Or are we ignoring this possibility because oh no anyone but Activision?

Why would Activision not go for multiple platforms given the hype?

I refuse to believe they'll just let this iconic series be held hostage to rights issues.

Crash was the face of PlayStation. Bring him the fuck home.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What more do you want? We get it, you think the games played and sold like shit and will do shit nowadays but the truth is that these games are still top sellers and have been on the charts for nearly a decade. If that doesn't get through to you, then I don't know what will.

I'm just arguing that pointing at PSN sales of the original Playstation titles is a rather poor argument as to why Activision should dump millions into rebooting the Crash Bandicoot license.

The games didn't play like shit, far from it, they just weren't personally my cup of tea at the time, and they haven't aged particularly well in my personal opinion.

For the record I hope a new Crash Bandicoot game gets made and I hope it's amazing, I just feel like you guys really need to stop grasping at straws looking for proof of it happening. If it happens, it happens, but don't hype yourself up for potential disappoint down the line; it's not worth it.

I hope Shawn wears a new shirt with a dead IP on stage this E3 for everytime he goes backstage.

I still believe, i never not believe

That is too specific for this particular situation, so I call bullshit on this.

Also, you have the developers claim that they didn't have the permission for implementing the minigame during an interview some time ago.

Then I wouldn't call the changes to the minigames "minor", I'd bet there are actually new assets in it.

Either Activision gave them a go ahead or they are using code from the emulated versions with their cosmetic changes which arguably would qualify the same as the PSone classics where Activisions name doesn't appear at all.

THINK guys WHY WOULD ACTIVISION SELL AWAY FREE MONEY???

Why has that question not popped in anyones head ONE time?

Meier

If there's actual money to be made with it, money will get made. They could work out a joint publishing deal or something.

I think they just don't see the value in it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Tomba shirt @ E3 2016. Book it.

Nah!!

Medievil or bust.

If there's actual money to be made with it, money will get made. They could work out a joint publishing deal or something.

I think they just don't see the value in it.

After seeing how well Ratchet did, seeing the reaction to Shenmue 3, and FF7 Remake they do see there is money to be made. Especially if they make a really great Crash Team Racing game with great multiplayer.

Remember when Phil wore the Battletoads Shirt and we got the new Battle Toad g- waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt a minute.

Top Bottom