• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

Widge

until six months later when the inevitable sequel is announced

When it is announced? Already was when Destiny itself was announced! Oh you've got years to hear about it.

Next year will be the 3 comet DLC updates, then Destiny 2, then the 3 comet updates, then Destiny 3...

Gamescom has been better conference than E3 since 2010 for Sony imo. So i expect it to be much better than E3.

No one should be surprised by Destiny constantly popping up at Sony conferences after what happened with Watch_Dogs. Some questioned why Sony showed it at every show before it was released. Then it finally came out and sold a ton with the PS4 version taking up around 50% of those sales.

Not to mention it pushed PS4 sales as well.

xAniki88

Banned
new teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKqshBxVO84

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/07/gamescom-2014-coming/?emcid=social_20140807_29277916
Next week the PlayStation team will be decamping to Cologne, Germany, for the annual Gamescom extravaganza, where gamers from across the continent converge to get their hands on the biggest titles hitting the racks soon.

As per tradition, we’ll be holding a media briefing to showcase the huge variety of games coming to PlayStation platforms later this year and into 2015. Expect new game announcements alongside updates on some of the blockbuster titles you’ll be playing this winter.

The briefing will commence at 6.00pm BST/7.00pm CET on Tuesday 12th August and will be livestreamed in full right here on PlayStation Blog through our dedicated Gamescom hub page – so set your bookmarks. You’ll be able to watch the stream through your PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet. Or, if you’d rather, through the PS4 browser, PlayStation Home on PS3, on our Facebook page, via Twitch or through a single Tweet in our Twitter feed.

Once the show is over, you can read more about all the key announcements here on PlayStation Blog, and we’ll be reporting from the showfloor all week via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you use the latter, follow along using the #PlayStationGC hashtag to make sure you don’t miss a thing.

Finally, if you’re attending the show, make sure you stop by the huge PlayStation stand and get your hands-on a huge variety of up and coming titles, including DRIVECLUB, Bloodborne, LittleBigPlanet 3 and The Order 1886, to name but a few.

It should be a great week for gamers, wherever you are in the globe, and we’ll be doing our best to ensure you don’t miss a thing!

Navid

Is anyone doing a official gamescom thread? For now this is all the info I could find in terms of UK times (add a hour for CEST) and links (feel free to add any missing stream links).

Tuesday, August 12th:
Microsoft Press Event: 13:00PM BST
Stream links: Official Xbox Stream

Sony Press Event: 6.00PM BST
Stream links: Official PS Stream - PS Twitch

Wednesday, August 13th:
EA Press Event: 9.00AM BST
Stream links: Official EA Stream - EA Youtube

IGN gamescom page up: http://uk.ign.com/events/gamescom
Gamespot gamescom page: http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/
Gametrailers gamescom page: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamescom

Really weird times for the Microsoft and EA press events..?

There's a pretty high chance that Dead Island 2 will be at Sony's conference since Deep Silver has confirmed that they'll debut gameplay at the show.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is anyone doing a official gamescom thread? For now this is all the info I could find in terms of UK times (add a hour for CEST) and links (feel free to add any missing stream links).

Tuesday, August 12th:
Stream links: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Gamescom

Stream links: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/gamescom/ - http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Wednesday, August 13th:
Stream links: http://www.ea.com/gamescom - https://www.youtube.com/user/EA - http://www.twitch.tv/eade

+ IGN seem to now have their gamescom page up: http://uk.ign.com/events/gamescom Still nothing from Gamespot or Gametrailers though.

I was wondering this too, will we get a Gamescom sticky thread with all the information same as we got with E3?

iboYXMSutouqHJ.gif

When will Activision's reign of terror end? At this point, the best thing about Destiny being released is that we'll never have to see the fucking thing ever again at a Sony press event.

until six months later when the inevitable sequel is announced

This GIF! ROFL!

I need more info on Rime, please! Hell, it's the reason I wanted a PS4 to begin with.
The Last Guardian would be nice as well. ._.

MrHoot

After this year's E3 I don't know what to expect from Western Sony. It's been mediocre for a while now and they still want to ride the now-deflated hype rollercoaster of the PS4 reveal to hide the lack of interesting software for the end of this year.

Also yeah, don't expect TLG at all for Gamescom. If anything it will be at TGS, but not at gamescom.

I will be going myself from the 14th to the 17th anyway. Will be cool to play bloodborne

yurinka

After this year's E3 I don't know what to expect from Western Sony. It's been mediocre for a while now and they still want to ride the now-deflated hype rollercoaster of the PS4 reveal to hide the lack of interesting software for the end of this year.

Also yeah, don't expect TLG at all for Gamescom. If anything it will be at TGS, but not at gamescom.

I will be going myself from the 14th to the 17th anyway. Will be cool to play bloodborne
Yes, The Order, Uncharted 4, Driveclub, Rime and Little Big Planet 3 looked really mediocre... oh wait! Not only western Sony, Bloodborne and (when released) The Last Guardian will be really mediocre too, for sure. People should agree since they aren't buying PS4s.

Regarding TLG I'd bet we won't see it until E3 2015.

Bashtee

It's been mediocre for a while now and they still want to ride the now-deflated hype rollercoaster of the PS4 reveal to hide the lack of interesting software for the end of this year.

whut

Opinions, but games like Destiny, The Evil Within, Driveclub and Dragon Age: Inquisition should cover a fair base of interests. Games are coming and my wallet is screaming. Can't wait for next week!

MrHoot

Yes, The Order, Uncharted 4, Driveclub, Rime and Little Big Planet 3 looked really mediocre... oh wait! Not only western Sony, Bloodborne and (when released) The Last Guardian will be really mediocre too, for sure. People should agree since they aren't buying PS4s.

Regarding TLG I'd bet we won't see it until E3 2015.

Now don't get too rustled by other people's opinions.

For me, the order does look mediocre. With the incredibly stale gameplay we've seen so far (And I don't believe they're holding much surprises behind our back), not counting it's just another third person cinematic linear cover shooter with a middle aged gruff white man (that makes 3 with UC4 and TLOU on the ps4 now, hurray). That and the devs from the order are painting themselves more and more as a joke

Bloodborne i'm hype for but it's not western sony. That's From Soft and SCEJ

Little Big Planet 3 does look mediocre. It was never a good platformer for me because the physics and tightness of gameplay are absolute shit for a platformer. Tearaway was far superior in that department.

Driveclub is a driving game capped at 30fps. 'Nuff said
Rime looks cool but we have no info. Also indie so not sony.

As for the last guardian, as much as i absolutely want it, it's been years. We don't even know how it looks like or plays now anymore.

UC4 looks great but i've tired out of the cover shooting thing and I was disappointed that Naughty Dog didn't do like every gen and make a new ip instead of rehashing two from the ps3.

Mind you, i'm specifically talkgin about WESTERN SONY DEV BRANCHES. Not the other games coming for it which i'm interested for like Evil Within or Destiny.
But SCEE and SCEA dev studios have not been on a glorious streak, apart from Naughty Dog.

yurinka

Nice for a crossbuy version released 1 year after the Vita version to help selling Vita HW.
Vita deserves its own games, remember the 'it haz no gamez' stuff.
For me, the order does look mediocre. With the incredibly stale gameplay we've seen so far (And I don't believe they're holding much surprises behind our back), not counting it's just another third person cinematic linear cover shooter with a middle aged gruff white man (that makes 3 with UC4 and TLOU on the ps4 now, hurray). That and the devs from the order are painting themselves more and more as a joke
Well this would match with saying stuff like Halo are also mediocre since are uh just another space marine FPS and a another about a guy jumping around. You may don't like a genre but it doesn't make it mediocre specially when most people seem to like it. To don't like a game or a genre it's one thing, and to say it's mediocre or bad is another.

Most of the best arcadeish racing games ever were 30fps. So there is no reason to call it mediocre because of that.
In any case, it's a bit silly to downsize the quality of a game because it's 30fps since it's something trivial for almost everybody and there are a huge amount of other things that affect the game quality.

It's developed by a small studio but it's a Sony Computer Entertainment game, like Journey, Infinite Swan, Escape Plan, Hohokum, Sound Shapes or other great small games that the western Sony Santa Monica published and sometimes even did help to co-develop. Or even like Little Big Planet before Sony bought Media Molecule.

So it isn't indie, but yep looks cool and they should release more info about it since as of now we don't have a lot of info about it more than a video or two, some screenshots and a few interviews.

MrHoot

Nice for a crossbuy version released 1 year after the Vita version to help selling Vita HW.
Vita deserves its own games, remember the 'it haz no gamez' stuff.

Well this would match with saying stuff like Halo are also mediocre since are uh just another space marine FPS and a another about a guy jumping around. You may don't like a genre but it doesn't make it mediocre specially when most people seem to like it. To don't like a game or a genre it's one thing, and to say it's mediocre or bad is another.

Most of the best arcadeish racing games ever were 30fps. So there is no reason to call it mediocre because of that.
In any case, it's a bit silly to downsize the quality of a game because it's 30fps since it's something trivial for almost everybody and there are a huge amount of other things that affect the game quality.

It's developed by a small studio but it's a Sony Computer Entertainment game, like Journey, Infinite Swan, Escape Plan, Hohokum, Sound Shapes or other great small games that the western Sony Santa Monica published and sometimes even did help to co-develop. Or even like Little Big Planet before Sony bought Media Molecule.

So it isn't indie, but yep looks cool and they should release more info about it since as of now we don't have a lot of info about it more than a video or two, some screenshots and a few interviews.

I like third person shooters (my favourites being RE4, TLoU and Vanquish) but the one RaD is making is really not pressing any buttons in me, and I know i'm far from being alone. Most if not all of the order threads have been very divisive and they've yet to show to the actual general audience some actual lenghty gameplay that doesn't look scripted out the ass. My main problem is that it's a game that looks like the exact definition of style over substance. An incredible emphasis on graphics, scripts, story (and you can quote them on that) and gameplay as an afterthought to carry their grand narrative. A lot of it seems like it doesn't give nearly enough freedom to make the actual game part interesting on the long run, or give it some replayability. And the fact that for all it's graphical prowess they decide to run it at a lower framerate for artistic reason when even Naughty Dog recently came out and admitted 60fps is better for a game is the cherry on the sub-par sundae for me

For driveclub, a whole lot of racing games were 60fps to maximise gameplay. Although it's true, I shouldn't downplay the game. I'm sure it will be fine but a racing game has hardly been a system seller for me so call it personal preference.

And slap me dead for being wrong about Rime then ! I didn't know. I knew who made the game but didn't know they were partnered.

That, and i'm also a huge vita fan. I LOVE that platform. The fact that sony does absolutely FUCK all to help it in the west is what aggravates me the most. They have no faith in their own console yet expect third parties and indies to have it for them, yet act surprised when they don't. "Oh why won't you help with our console that ourselves are trying our hardest to ignore or downplay as a ps4 controller"

Bundy

Banned

Little Big Planet 3 does look mediocre. It was never a good platformer for me because the physics and tightness of gameplay are absolute shit for a platformer. Tearaway was far superior in that department.

As for the last guardian, as much as i absolutely want it, it's been years. We don't even know how it looks like or plays now anymore.

UC4 looks great but i've tired out of the cover shooting thing and I was disappointed that Naughty Dog didn't do like every gen and make a new ip instead of rehashing two from the ps3.

Mind you, i'm specifically talkgin about WESTERN SONY DEV BRANCHES. Not the other games coming for it which i'm interested for like Evil Within or Destiny.
But SCEE and SCEA dev studios have not been on a glorious streak, apart from Naughty Dog.
lol
You don't like "stuff".
Cool, bro. It's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right.

MMaRsu

Banned

Lol so what racing game at 60fps have you been playing on consoles lately?

Hyunashi

I need more info on Rime, please! Hell, it's the reason I wanted a PS4 to begin with.
The Last Guardian would be nice as well. ._.

Rime for GC.
TLG for TGS.
Be patient my friend, TGS could be huge this year (TLG, FF15, KH3, P5, Bloodborne, New Tales, more MGS #Believe).

MrHoot

lol
You don't like "stuff".
Cool, bro. It's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right.

Yes, way to downplay everything I say. Doesn't make you witty mate, just obnoxious

I'm sorry to bring up the fact that a company may not be doing as great as they claim to be. I'm not swayed by pretty CG with no gameplay when the other competitors actually either show full gameplay footages or actually bring back interesting old IPs or creative new things.

Sony is not doing bad but it certainly one of it's most lackluster moments in software, lot's of delays, half thruthes, psnow prices, the progressive abandonment of their 2 year old handheld and software which has not really risen to a point to justify the purchase of a 400$ semi-PC (lol Knack).

I want them to do better because I love sony at their best, when they come up with stuff like Journey or Rain or Ico or Puppeteer, not when they're busy gushing over their millions of consoles sold and 15 minutes of fucking POWERS at e3

LastNac

For me, the order does look mediocre. With the incredibly stale gameplay we've seen so far (And I don't believe they're holding much surprises behind our back), not counting it's just another third person cinematic linear cover shooter with a middle aged gruff white man (that makes 3 with UC4 and TLOU on the ps4 now, hurray).
And that's a problem? Truth is, we really dont have many of those in the grand scheme.

I've played The Order, it does what it does well. I dont think they've been disingenuous about what The Order is, either accept it or move on.

But I reiterate it plays well, probably more Gears of War than an Uncharted. It certainly has the weight to it that a lot of TPS dont.

Sealion88

I want them to do better because I love sony at their best, when they come up with stuff like Journey or Rain or Ico or Puppeteer, not when they're busy gushing over their millions of consoles sold and 15 minutes of fucking POWERS at e3

I like Brian Michael Bendis......

Amir0x

Banned
You have some points but..

Yes, way to downplay everything I say. Doesn't make you witty mate, just obnoxious

I'm sorry to bring up the fact that a company may not be doing as great as they claim to be. I'm not swayed by pretty CG with no gameplay when the other competitors actually either show full gameplay footages or actually bring back interesting old IPs or creative new things.

ABZÛ
Grim Fandango (to your "bring back interesting old IPs" rule)
Bloodborne (new IP; gameplay footage behind closed doors and widely praised)
Entwined
The Order: 1886 (new IP; no CG)

that's just me scratching the surface. i'm not asking you to like the show, but to just represent reality.

MrHoot

And that's a problem? Truth is, we really dont have many of those in the grand scheme.

I've played The Order, it does what it does well. I dont think they've been disingenuous about what The Order is, either accept it or move on.

But I reiterate it plays well, probably more Gears of War than an Uncharted. It certainly has the weight to it that a lot of TPS dont.

We've had the last of us LAST year, which is being rereleased THIS year, with uncharted 4 next year and add to that the order. In such a short span, that's at least 3 different games that are all in the same genre, on the same console

I will be playing it at Gamescom myself if it's there. Maybe i'll be proven wrong. But right now, i'm going by what they decided to show, because that's what they want us to see. And what I see is nothing special. But I would let it slide if the developpers weren't just so eager to put their foot in their mouthes in terms of technicalities.

It also annoys me because Ready at dawn was awesome on psp and could've used their handheld skill to instead push the vita which would really need a triple A western title, but instead they use it on that. So yeah, i'm annoyed

panda-zebra

Counting down the days to Destiny has allowed Gamescom to creep right up and suddenly my hype levels are occupying the void \o/

Sony is not doing bad but it certainly one of it's most lackluster moments in software, lot's of delays, half thruthes, psnow prices, the progressive abandonment of their 2 year old handheld and software which has not really risen to a point to justify the purchase of a 400$ semi-PC (lol Knack).

lovely_owl_loves_being_pet1-s400x225-266391.gif

there there...

Huh Bundy is not the person i am seeing being obnoxious here.

People saying another TPS , FPS etc etc as a bad thing is such weak argument .
TLOU another TPS 7 million sales later or WD 8 million sales later .
Now not everyone going to like everything but games are coming so no one should be worried .

What this guy said.

Also I used to play burnout a lot. That's 60fps

Funny how consoles with weaker hardware manage to do it

There isn't anything funny about it. Ridge Racer Hi-Spec on the PSone ran at 60fps. That's because power has nothing to do with framerate.

Rosur

Tuesday, August 12th:
Stream links: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Gamescom

Stream links: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/gamescom/ - http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Wednesday, August 13th:
Stream links: http://www.ea.com/gamescom - https://www.youtube.com/user/EA - http://www.twitch.tv/eade

+ IGN seem to now have their gamescom page up: http://uk.ign.com/events/gamescom Still nothing from Gamespot or Gametrailers though.

Will be able to watch both Sonys and MS conference :)

Though for EA's I'm assuming there will be a live blog somewhere so I can find out whats happening at work (well guess the thread on here might do :p )? Also no Ubisoft conference?

Hyunashi

I'm not swayed by pretty CG with no gameplay when the other competitors actually either show full gameplay footages or actually bring back interesting old IPs or creative new things.

This made me laugh.
But at the end, you have your opinion on Sony's exclusive offerings and others do as well.

Bundy

Banned

The difference here is just that... well... you're talking bullshit. That's all.
"When they come up with stuff like Journey and Rain" .....
You know rain launched like 11 months ago? It's not like it's an 3 year old game, from "old Sony".
You talk about Journey? Well, games like RIME, Everybody' gone to the Rapture or Shadow of the Beast are coming. All "western" Sony IP's.

".....and 15 minutes of fucking POWERS at e3"
How about you go back and watch the E3 conference again?
How about that, buddy? Because the "Power" segment was like 5 minutes long.

Whatever. Your intentions are clear here.
90% of the stuff you mentioned is completely wrong or doesn't make any sense.
Go ahead.

This made me laugh.
It really is.
Seems like he hasn't even watched the E3 2014 conferences.

smiley-laughing002.gif

stryke

I'm fairly certain Sony only showed 2 CG trailers at E3. One of them already having gameplay available behind closed doors.

Top Bottom