• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

StormKing

For the 3DS and the Wii U, Nintendo has 20 games that sold at least a million.

For the PS3 and the PSP Sony had 19 games that sold at least a million.

Therefore, Nintendo already has more million selling games this generation than Sony had last generation even with 100 million less hardware sold so far. That's why Nintendo has the best first party. Sony's strength is that PlayStation sells a lot more third party software than Nintendo's hardware can.

Jigorath

Banned

Therefore, Nintendo already has more million selling games this generation than Sony had last generation even with 100 million less hardware sold so far. That's why Nintendo has the best first party. Sony's strength is that PlayStation sells a lot more third party software than Nintendo's hardware can.

And where did you get these numbers?

Even if that's true, you surely realize the 3DS has been out for what, 4 years, and the Wii U is 2 years into it's life.

Servbot24

Banned

So PS4 is getting to the timeframe that PS2 really took off. Hopefully The Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 (plus another big game yet to be announced probably) are enough to achieve similar results next year.

edit: why did i type uncharted 2 lol

So PS4 is getting to the timeframe that PS2 really took off. Hopefully The Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted 2 (plus another big game yet to be announced probably) are enough to achieve similar results next year.

Yea, the PS4 will start falling behind once it reaches the point where the PS2 went into beast mode. There's just no keeping up with it.

stryke

Everytime someone links Amazon top 100 i always see PSN cards among top ten. I said this before but the biggest loss this gen for the Xbox is falling Live subs.

I don't think you can draw that kind of conclusion with Amazon US.

Amazon makes it very easy for international customers to buy PSN codes so that they can purchase US PSN content.

nib95

Banned
So PS4 is getting to the timeframe that PS2 really took off. Hopefully The Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted 2 (plus another big game yet to be announced probably) are enough to achieve similar results next year.

Doubt it will lift off in the same way, since a price drop for the PS4 is probably further away than it was for the PS2.

Considering a healthy chunk of the sales isn't from US or Japan, a lot of them are bought at higher prices than $400.

When's the realistic time we can expect a pricecut to the PS4? Is this year out of the realms of possibility?

Realistically, they ain't going to cut the price when it is selling around 1 million a month, but you never know. A price-cut for the holidays could be the nail in the coffin for its rival.

orochi91

When's the realistic time we can expect a pricecut to the PS4? Is this year out of the realms of possibility?

Realistically, they ain't going to cut the price when it is selling around 1 million a month, but you never know. A price-cut for the holidays could be the nail in the coffin for its rival.

Fall 2015. $299. PS4 Slim.

It's the only way to keep momentum going, especially if they want to mirror PS1/PS2 success.

Gator86

It's the only way to keep momentum going, especially if they want to mirror PS1/PS2 success.

I wonder if it could drop even further than that. Sony did design it with the aim of dropping the price as fast as possible. This would be even more possible with a redesign. They'd make less money on each one sold but that seems like a reasonable tradeoff to boost the numbers even more along with selling more software, ps+ subs, etc.

Servbot24

Banned
Doubt it will lift off in the same way, since a price drop for the PS4 is probably further away than it was for the PS2.

Presumably no console will ever take off again like PS2 did. But if it reached even 2/3 of PS2 I bet Sony would be extremely pleased.

I don't think you can draw that kind of conclusion with Amazon US.

Amazon makes it very easy for international customers to buy PSN codes so that they can purchase US PSN content.
All i am saying most people wont pay for two subs, i think. Falling Xbox owner numbers will result in falling subs. The more 360 gamers convert to the PS4 the more MS lose subs.

fat chance. $100 price drop after 2 years, and being the top seller? come on.

only way to keep momentum going? come on. uncharted is coming. more games are coming in 2015. morpheus is coming. psnow is coming. a lot of things are coming. ps4 doesn't need a $100 price cut.

and ps4 is already as slim as it can be.

orochi91

fat chance. $100 price drop after 2 years, and being the top seller? come on.

only way to keep momentum going? come on. uncharted is coming. more games are coming in 2015. morpheus is coming. psnow is coming. a lot of things are coming. ps4 doesn't need a $100 price cut.

and ps4 is already as slim as it can be.

As Gator86 pointed out a few posts above, the PS4 is designed to facilitate price cuts,
and if I recall correctly the PS2 received its first price reduction in NA 2 years after launch.

truth411

IMO 2016 is when we will see the first price cut. 2015 is too jammed packed full of games, also Uncharted 4 will be there main holiday game. I'm betting instead of a price cut , Sony introduces a new SKU with a 1TB HDD ( there cheap now, next year will be even cheaper). With all the games being released and exclusives demand for the system should remain hot, so no need to price drop. IMO Sony needs to be profitable and use the profits to invest in there online infrastructure and services.. I.e. Servers, download speeds, quicker updates for the PS4 U.I. etc... I think I read somewhere kaiz talk about doing this.

h53A2BBD5

Hahahahaha, I missed that incredible gif. Thought I'd never see it again.

That list seem kind of off on PS3 alone Sony has more than 19 games that sell a million .
UC 1 to 3
TLOU
GOW3 & 4
GT5p GT5 and GT6
HR and B2S
R1 and R2 not certain about 3
MS1 and MS2 not certain about part 3
LBP1 not certain about 2
I am sure The Show sold a million at least once .
Infamous
KZ 2 and 3
I sure and forgetting some along with what ever PSP had even thought Sony don't really give a damn about there handhelds.

They said the hardware is already profitable, so I could see a $50 cut next summer. $100 seems a bit drastic, but maybe if the XBone survives the holiday and they want to try to finish it off. Probably better to simply ignore it though.

I mean we've got LBP3, Bloodborne, Driveclub, and The Order all coming within 6 months. Even if you ignore indie games, which I'll never understand, it's still a very solid lineup of games coming.

I'm excited to witness the eventual ass magic they have to do to try and devalue those games as well as the 2015 deluge. Because you know "none of those games get me hyped" is still yet to come.

sörine

Banned
That list seem kind of off on PS3 alone Sony has more than 19 games that sell a million .
UC 1 to 3
TLOU
GOW3 & 4
GT5p GT5 and GT6
HR and B2S
R1 and R2 not certain about 3
MS1 and MS2 not certain about part 3
LBP1 not certain about 2
I am sure The Show sold a million at least once .
Infamous
KZ 2 and 3
I sure and forgetting some along with what ever PSP had even thought Sony don't really give a damn about there handhelds.
The Nintendo count is low too, they already have 25 1st party million sellers across 3DS and Wii U so far this gen. Last gen across DS and Wii they had 77.

sörine;125311544 said:
The Nintendo count is low too, they already have 25 1st party million sellers across 3DS and Wii U so far this gen. Last gen across DS and Wii they had 77.

I figure as much man DS and Wii were monster for Nintendo .
This gen that number might be lower at least on the consoles side .
Then again Nintendo and Sony output so different that you can not care about any of there IPs either way .
So it really a matter of taste more than anything else.

Congratulations to everyone at SCEI and SCE Worldwide Studios.

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million

1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Xbox 360 Shipments:

1 month, 1 day - December 31st, 2005 - 1.57 million
4 months, 10 days - March 31st, 2006 - 3.2 million
7 months, 9 days - June 30th, 2006 - 5.0 million
10 months, 9 days - September 30th, 2006 - 5.9 million
1 year, 1 month, 10 days - December 31st, 2006 - 10.4 million

PS2 Shipments:

28 days (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
6 months, 27 days (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
1 year, 28 days - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
1 year, 6 months, 27 days - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - December 31st, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million
8 months, 27 days - August 10th, 2014 - 10.0 million

Holy moly. Is there a modern reason for this? Better production? Higher population? I cant believe PS4 is doing better than PS2, especially with MS as a much bigger competitor.

This is even before the heavy hitters will come. It's really astonishing to think what will happen once Sony's best releases.

I'm curious if the gap will be closer for Christmas only because MS seems to have MCC and Sunset Overdrive, but I wonder how big of a deal a marketing deal with Destiny and PS4 can be.

I'm excited to witness the eventual ass magic they have to do to try and devalue those games as well as the 2015 deluge. Because you know "none of those games get me hyped" is still yet to come.
"I don't know, man. It's just that literally none of (company's) games excite me."
Anyone who says shit like that is deluding himself, but it's so often used to dismiss the competition's games.

Wii Shipments:

Wii U Shipments:

Xbox 360 Shipments:

PS1 Shipments:

3 months, 29 days (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
1 year, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1996 - 8.06 million
2 years, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2 Shipments:

PS3 Shipments:

PS4 Installbase:

Wow. Way to go Sony. PS4 is doing great.

sörine

Banned
I figure as much man DS and Wii were monster for Nintendo .
This gen that number might be lower at least on the consoles side .
Then again Nintendo and Sony output so different that you can not care about any of there IPs either way .
So it really a matter of taste more than anything else.
Oh it's sure to be lower this gen for Nintendo, both handheld and console side. Last gen was insane for them.

This gen so far Sony has 2 1st party million sellers (both PS4, nothing on Vita) and MS has just 1 (or 3 depending on how you count DR3 and TF).

Jomjom

Banned
No, because 10 million people bought a "gaming" console with no gamezzz

I feel like Sony should trademark the phrase as its used for every system of theirs after the PS2. Ive seen it so commonly used with the PSP, PSV, PS3 and now the PS4. "Live in your world, play no gamezzz in ours. Playstation! TM"

orochi91

I feel like Sony should trademark the phrase as its used for every system of theirs after the PS2. Ive seen it so commonly used with the PSP, PSV, PS3 and now the PS4. "Live in your world, play no gamezzz in ours. Playstation! TM"

That along with my personal fav, Soony.

Holy moly. Is there a modern reason for this? Better production? Higher population? I cant believe PS4 is doing better than PS2, especially with MS as a much bigger competitor.

This is even before the heavy hitters will come. It's really astonishing to think what will happen once Sony's best releases.

I'm curious if the gap will be closer for Christmas only because MS seems to have MCC and Sunset Overdrive, but I wonder how big of a deal a marketing deal with Destiny and PS4 can be.

Higher production is definitely part of it. We live in a post-Foxconn world. Sony mentioned before release that they are able to produce far more consoles per month than ever before.

cornerman

"I don't know, man. It's just that literally none of (company's) games excite me."
Anyone who says shit like that is deluding himself, but it's so often used to dismiss the competition's games.

I realize there are trolls, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities. I tend to favor what's been offered on Playstation more and not really a fan of MS's main staples (Halo, Gears, and Fable). I won't dismiss them, I get why people like them but I haven't been able to get into them. Its just my personal taste and obviously doesn't diminish the popularity of those series.

I can understand how it looks suspicious when you start going through a long laundry list of games though. But I like to think of myself as honest and open to games on any console, but usually if you dismiss the top 3 or so games...you're setting yourself up for suspicion. I guess I would say its best to be aware of the environment. The atmosphere of a thread is very delicate...and just pronouncing what you like/dislike without regard can disrupt it.

PS4 will have a bigger 2nd holiday (this years upcoming) and extend the gap a bit again but the month to month for the rest of next year will probably be well in ps2's favor.

They said the hardware is already profitable, so I could see a $50 cut next summer. $100 seems a bit drastic, but maybe if the XBone survives the holiday and they want to try to finish it off. Probably better to simply ignore it though.

I'm fairy certain most platform holders try their hardest to hold out until they can do a $100 price drop as it's far more incentivizing than a $50 cut both psychologically and marketing-wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did actually see a $100 price cut on the PS4 next year, not because they need it to maintain momentum but because they want to increase momentum . Also PS4 appears to be far easier to cut costs on than previous consoles and with PS+ being more adopted I could definitely see a higher desire for increased install base winning out against a higher profit margin on each console

Just my thoughts of course

Is this first party only?

Either way, no way the PSP + PS3 number is right. Or even close.

sn00zer

worldwidehardwaresalelsduz.png

worldwidehardwaresalemkepg.png

I know they're ugly, but I wanted to emphasize the lines are interpolated. Also, the Xbox One has a +/- 550k error. (sorry for the color blind)

Calendar year, end of 2014.

Yep, Wii U is a beast
hahaha fixed the mistake, thanks

Interesting, but this is a bit skewed as some consoles are released closer or farther to holiday season...this will be very interesting to revisit in January

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
10 million +1

Bought my PS4 today and put a couple hours into inFamous. Good stuff. This is a pretty spiffy machine.

d9b

Banned
10 million units sold is impressive, especially when your direct competitor only shipped 5 million (probably only sold 3m).

Wii Shipments:

Wii U Shipments:

Xbox 360 Shipments:

PS1 Shipments:

3 months, 29 days (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
1 year, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1996 - 8.06 million
2 years, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2 Shipments:

PS3 Shipments:

PS4 Installbase:

Wait a second... if Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 essentially took the same amount of time to reach 10M, why was PS3 considered to be a failure in 2007/2008?

Top Bottom