• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

Wait a second... if Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 essentially took the same amount of time to reach 10M, why was PS3 considered to be a failure in 2007/2008?

Probably because the PS3 was the successor to the PS2 and the 360 was the successor to the OG Xbox. (Higher and lower expectations.)

BigDug13

Wait a second... if Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 essentially took the same amount of time to reach 10M, why was PS3 considered to be a failure in 2007/2008?

Continual slaughtering in NPD numbers and people seem to give the most credence to those numbers above all others. I think it also had the worst attach rate of the generation, as quite a few buyers got it for cheaper blu-ray players.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Because they were coming off a gen they utterly dominated and lost all that momentum. Also because they were competing against the present 360 and not the one a year before.

sörine;125313449 said:
Oh it's sure to be lower this gen for Nintendo, both handheld and console side. Last gen was insane for them.

This gen so far Sony has 2 1st party million sellers (both PS4, nothing on Vita) and MS has just 1 (or 3 depending on how you count DR3 and TF).

Isn't it 3?

Killzone Shadow Fall
Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered

Also on the home console side, Nintendo only has seven so far:
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Wii Party U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8

Also so far for 3DS (not sure how it is relevant to the discussion since this is a home console sales topic, but since it was mentioned before I'll just bring it up), there are 17 million-sellers:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Kart 7
Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario Tennis Open
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendogs + cats
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Pokémon X/Pokémon Y
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Tomodachi Life

All of this information is directly from Nintendo FY reports.

avaya

Everytime someone links Amazon top 100 i always see PSN cards among top ten. I said this before but the biggest loss this gen for the Xbox is falling Live subs.

The biggest driver for Bone price cuts will be the churn numbers in Live. You can bet MS are seeing very high churn in the base right now.

BigDug13

Wii was doing crazy numbers for several years in a row. Judging from the most recent NPD numbers, PS4 is already slowing down in its biggest market.

Slowing down during months where console sales normally slow down right? Did you expect holiday and immediate post holiday numbers each month to carry on through summer? Need to compare second holiday totals post launch.

Wii was doing crazy numbers for several years in a row. Judging from the most recent NPD numbers, PS4 is already slowing down in its biggest market.

Slowing down? WTF? It's true that PS4 doesn't sell as many as Wii did in US for the same period, but PS4 is able to keep up with overall sales due to its performance in the rest of the world. There's roughly 4.5M PS4's in US+JPN. That's 5.5M in EU+other markets.

Sorral

Wii was only $250 and with a different way to play. It also fell off sharply after just five years.
I always thought it was a bad comparison anyway.

Continual slaughtering in NPD numbers and people seem to give the most credence to those numbers above all others. I think it also had the worst attach rate of the generation, as quite a few buyers got it for cheaper blu-ray players.

Wii was one game lower on attach rate. Two if you don't count Wii Sports. PS3 had the lowest total software sales though.

like phil spencer said, The battle will be september to december. Then we can see who truly wins.

I believe Sony has destiny, shadow of mordor, LBP, far cry 4 and GTA V bundle. While MS has dragon age, sunset overdrive, cod, halo, assasins creed and maybe more bundles this fall.

In october/november i can see MS causing an upset. MS price change, and the games they have are good enough to cause an upset

Using Wii sales as the benchmark in comparison threads doesn't seem especially meaningful when you consider the target demographic and ephemeral popularity of that console.

Key2001

It's incorrect to say that US = World but it's pretty damn close to the truth to say that US = 1/2 World.

The US doesn't even account for 40% of total PS4 sales. The US would have to account for ~400k sales from July to August 10th to reach 40% or ~1.4 million to reach 50% of WW sales.

Sayad

This was also due to bad ports and 360 being the preferred platform for most multiplats. People with both PS3/360 would often pick up the 360 version of the game.

PS2 global shipments = 150 million
PS2 US shipments = <50 million

That's about a third.

your leaving out xbox and gamecube, US is the biggest market for both ms and nintendo. and there is also the contraction taking place in japan

if you use ps360wii worldwide vs US then its more like 2/5.

like phil spencer said, The battle will be september to december. Then we can see who truly wins.

I believe Sony has destiny, shadow of mordor, LBP, far cry 4 and GTA V bundle. While MS has dragon age, sunset overdrive, cod, halo, assasins creed and maybe more bundles this fall.

In october/november i can see MS causing an upset. MS price change, and the games they have are good enough to cause an upset

It's hardly going to be an upset of MCC bumps their sales above PS4, it'll be more of an upset if it doesn't.

madmackem

Wait wat?, ms could give away three games in Europe and it still won't sell here, the numbers outside of the uk are scary.

Member876

Banned
I guess this means no price cut for PS4? I was hoping for first price cut before christmas but at this rate I might have to wait until next september to get PS4.

selective perception

2 of the 3 markets with accessible sales numbers were 360 dominated. And NeoGaf is US-centric so USA = World.

Too bad Microsoft did the same mistake while designing the Xbox One.

Oldsql

It's hardly going to be an upset of MCC bumps their sales above PS4, it'll be more of an upset if it doesn't.

It should be pretty clear that the Xbox won't sell more than PS4 because of MCC. No one cares about it outside of the US. The only game interesting would be SO for the European market and maybe Forza, but it won't sell enough Xbox Ones to compete against PS4 sale levels.

hmm ok, was not seeing it like that. but yea i can see their bundles pushing them over ps4

Wait wat?, ms could give away three games in Europe and it still won't sell here, the numbers outside of the uk are scary.

talking mostly about the us. in the uk the figures we had months ago was somewhat close. And now with same price? i do not see why xbox can't come on top in the uk. Xbox destiny (unofficial) bundle is £350 (shopto) while ps4 is higher

Xando

MCC comes out in November, same month as COD,DA:I,Far Cry 4.
These 3 games probably will sell better than MCC, and the majority of sales will come from PS4..
I know Gaf is pretty hyped for MCC but i cant see it selling many consoles, especially outside the US.

This was also due to bad ports and 360 being the preferred platform for most multiplats. People with both PS3/360 would often pick up the 360 version of the game.

This is a major factor people seem to dis regard, everyone I knew with both chose 360 multiplats. It's the opposite this gen everyone goes with the ps4 version.

Copenap

Don't forget there's always a next month, quarter, year to look forward to where surely there will be an upset...

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Don't forget there's always a next month, quarter, year to look forward to where surely there will be an upset...

I totally agree

2tDPKW5.gif

dakun

the only reason the PS3 could/should be considered a failure is in comparison to the PS2.

Comparing it to the 360, PS3 wins in all aspects when it comes to sales. The PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide consistently year over year. It's pretty impressive if you consider the fact that with all the bad press early on, the 1 year head start of the 360 where they pulled ahead by almost 10 million, and the consistently higher price of the PS3 for many years they still managed to end up having sold the same amount of consoles as the 360 worldwide.

Of course in context of the generation before that were they dominated and the fact that Sony lost a huge amount of money on the PS3 it sounds pretty bad anyway.

Maledict

I think Zomg once posted something in detail about this that was really useful, but basically the PS3 launched great as the die-hards bought it, and then sales vanished until they started cutting the price. The PS3s success came later down the line once it was cheap enough to expand out of the core market.

Hyun Sai

Phil Spencer is delusional if he thinks there will be a battle. Unlike the PS3, the Xbox One is dead outside US/UK on top of losing in those territories.

I feel sorry for the guy, but the war was over at the end of E3 2013.

Interesting, but this is a bit skewed as some consoles are released closer or farther to holiday season...this will be very interesting to revisit in January

it's also important to note that some consoles (the PS2 in particular) had very staggered launches, with JP launching in March 2000 and the US not getting it until October.

The PS4 launched simultaneously (or very close to it) in the US and EU in November 2013 which are MUCH larger markets than they were back then, and JP a little later in February. There isn't a ridiculous gap where most of the world just can't get their hands on it like they used to.

Frankly of all the console systems i've ever owned only 3 ever stopped working on their own:

1. My Sega CD stopped reading discs after about 2 years
2. My launch PS1 died after about 4 years, just wouldn't read discs anymore
3. My launch 360 died after about 18 months, the replacment died about 12 months later and the one I bought to replace that died after 2 months and was replaced, but I haven't turned that 360 on in about 18 months now so not sure how it's doing.

(I will ammend I never got a PS2 near the beginning of life so I avoided that)

My NES burned out after about 5 years of non-stop use. My original PS still works, last time I checked. N64 as well, though the controllers break a whole lot. My launch PS2 came in pieces. Literally, I opened the box and it was only partially assembled. My replacement PS2 lost a DVD drive. As did its replacement. Xbox had no issues, even after adding a mod switch. I went through 6 Xbox 360's. RRoD on each of them.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Frankly of all the console systems i've ever owned only 3 ever stopped working on their own:

1. My Sega CD stopped reading discs after about 2 years
2. My launch PS1 died after about 4 years, just wouldn't read discs anymore
3. My launch 360 died after about 18 months, the replacment died about 12 months later and the one I bought to replace that died after 2 months and was replaced, but I haven't turned that 360 on in about 18 months now so not sure how it's doing.

(I will ammend I never got a PS2 near the beginning of life so I avoided that)

I had it good since the SNES...

Until the Xbox 360, where I bought two after one fucked up with E74 error (before warranty covered it, I opened the box, got a few more months out of it... few months later they also gave E74 3 years warranty, I was pissed). My current one also decided to not update so I can't play newer games that require the 2012 fall and beyond update.

Although my PS2 had some disc reading errors towards the end of it's life, but it still worked now and then.

But since the 360 fuck up, I am paranoid about new consoles, but luckily it seems PS4 and XB1 are fairly stable (so far anyway).

I don't know anyone whose died of cancer, this whole cancer thing is overblown.

I don't know anyone with an Ouya but clearly it's extremely popular as we just learned.

1870_900.gif

sörine

Banned
Isn't it 3?

Killzone Shadow Fall
Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered

Also on the home console side, Nintendo only has seven so far:
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Wii Party U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8

Also so far for 3DS (not sure how it is relevant to the discussion since this is a home console sales topic, but since it was mentioned before I'll just bring it up), there are 17 million-sellers:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Kart 7
Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario Tennis Open
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendogs + cats
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Pokémon X/Pokémon Y
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Tomodachi Life

All of this information is directly from Nintendo FY reports.
There are 18 million sellers on 3DS. You missed Fire Emblem Awakening, as has everyone updating wikipedia. It's likely already 19 now with Kirby too but we haven't gotten that one confirmed yet.

I did forget TLOU though, so 3 on PS4.

Top Bottom