• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

HORRORSHØW

I wonder whether they'll show any Japanese exclusives or keep them in the dark a bit longer for a TGS reveal...is TGS still relevant enough for big console game reveals?
It should be if Sony wants to generate any hype for their new console in Japan.

I-hate-u

@famousmortimer, it was Rey Gutierrez who said that: "I can safely say the Gamescom is going to be a Vita show so you'll see" at E3 to HHG.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
@famousmortimer, it was Rey Gutierrez who said that: "I can safely say the Gamescom is going to be a Vita show so you'll see" at E3 to HHG.

After the absolute lack of vita at the e3 conference that was only fraudulent damage control to avoid vita owners' anger imo.

He works for the PS Blog so I think he knows better than most what Sony will show.
SCEA != SCEE

Bundy

Banned
He works for the PS Blog so I think he knows better than most what Sony will show.
He is getting the info (for certain games) a few days before the event happens (as you said, for the blog).
He has no idea what SCE will show if the event is months away.

I-hate-u

He is getting the info (for certain games) a few days before the event happens (as you said, for the blog).
He has no idea what SCE will show if the event is months away.

Then would he say that? I am pretty sure if he did not know, he wouldn't have said anything.

Bundy

Banned
Then would he say that? I am pretty sure if he did not know, he wouldn't have said anything.
He was talking with a lot of indies / devs at the E3.
Of course he heard something ("our game will be shown at Gamescom, blahblah)" The VITA will be shown at Gamecom. VITA games will be shown at Gamescom.
But you don't have to be a genius to know that SONY's new main system will be the main attraction at the upcoming gaming events.

Hydrargyrus

I would like to see a w-rpg from a first(class) party studio like Guerrilla or Santa Monica and, now that seems to be the Japan Studios' resurrection, the reboot of some of his IPs (legend of dragoon, Demon's Souls...)

Xater

Good, also not surprising. As far as I know Sony has nothing for the Vita except for hat is announced already.

I-hate-u

He was talking with a lot of indies / devs at the E3.
Of course he heard something ("our game will be shown at Gamescom, blahblah)" The VITA will be shown at Gamecom. VITA games will be shown at Gamescom.
But you don't have to be a genius to know that SONY's new main system will be the main attraction at the upcoming gaming events.

Yah I know PS4 is the focus, but there is virtually no non indie titles coming to Vita next year.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't think its blown out of proportion. Several sources indicated that vita will have a big showing, which turns out to be a free-to-play game, a late port of a compilation, and a hardware bundle with a late episodic port. People are just adjusting their expectation now that it is indicated that the vita will not be the focus.

Rey

iba4xUBVWORrG9.gif

Hahahaaaa HOLY SHIT LOL

I know plenty about indie/psn releases for 2014. Or plenty in relative terms. I don't know what big games are coming.

Why do you have a stick up your ass about me? In a thread earlier this week you claimed that I said they were going to be on stage at E3 when i posted about 300000 times that I had no idea what was happening on stage at E3 because I didn't know anyone that was a part of that, I only knew about the show floor. And even if I misspoke and did say that, which i didn't, that would make me 13 for 16 with my E3 leaks.

Oh, please. Even if that had actually been what I thought you said before E3, which I don't and which it (mostly) wasn't, the stage/floor distinction is too trivial for me to care about.

You said there would be major, and then major-ish port, announcements at E3. There weren't. When I brought this up, you denied ever saying anything of the sort, probably as a knee-jerk defense of your insider credentials, but that doesn't make it true.

Oh, please. Even if that had actually been what I thought you said before E3, which I don't and which it (mostly) wasn't, the stage/floor distinction is too trivial for me to care about.

You said there would be major, and then major-ish port, announcements at E3. There weren't. When I brought this up, you denied ever saying anything of the sort, probably as a knee-jerk defense of your insider credentials, but that doesn't make it true.

It's your fault you put that much stock in insiders anyway.

I love having their input, I just hate how other people react to them. People get hyped about the teases, people use the teased information to argue (especially about Xbox versus PS) and they take things said as definitive. And I dislike the 'insiders' for not stressing that enough.

Nothing is definitive until it's released. Because even announcements can be turned back on.

Globox_82

Banned
I think they should keep on hyping and showing more PS4 stuff. Like UI at least. Proper demo of how it works.
They should show more on The Order 1886. Sony had great marketing for TLOU at every event they had something new to show.
They should tease a couple of exclusive projects, one big. Maybe new GG project. Just a teaser trailer ala The Order one.
Tell us release date.

If they do this, they will have a great show

I love having their input, I just hate how other people react to them. People get hyped about the teases, people use the teased information to argue (especially about Xbox versus PS) and they take things said as definitive. And I dislike the 'insiders' for not stressing that enough.

Nothing is definitive until it's released. Because even announcements can be turned back on.

Oh, I put more stock in certain insiders than others.

As I said in the Shahid thread, I'm less annoyed by famousmortimer getting things wrong than by him falsely claiming that he didn't get anything wrong (and now putting words in my mouth), and what that says about him; his MO on this subject of late has basically been to go all over the map, saying things that are vague enough to (mostly) not explicitly contradict each other but make little sense side by side. To give just one such example, he said in this thread that he expected a strong Vita showing at Gamescom, and in another thread on the same day that he didn't expect "anything amazing" to be shown.

I don't know how I could possibly put more caveats in what I say. I'm never certain of anything and frequently say "shit changes" which is to say that even if something is true right this minute it might not be by the time it's released to the public.

The problem is that I (and I assume other "insiders") are fans of games and we have our own ideas. I try to make a distinction between the two... saying stuff like "I haven't heard this from anyone but I think _______" but sometimes I just post stuff like "The ps4 will have great first party support" and then the reactions are "OMG WHAT DO YOU KNOW?" and then I have to clarify that I'm just guessing like everyone else... based on past output and other bits of data that's available to all of us.

I don't think "insiders" (I keep putting it in quotes because I really hate the term, especially considering i'm not inside anything... I'm just friendly) are authorities on anything. I love the vita and think it's great and think that it will live out its life cycle.... father_brain thinks it will be canceled next year. I don't claim to be more right than he is. I do know sony's blueprint for 2014 but that doesn't mean it's set in stone. Shit changes. Maybe the vita absolutely tanks this holiday and they axe the fucker. That's not impossible. I don't think it's likely but again - I don't think i'm any sort of authority on the vita or how it's going to sell or whatnot. When I give opinions on that it's just that... opinions. There's no inside info that says "it will sell 10 million units next year" because thus far no one in Sony has a time machine. So I have no problems with people disagreeing with my opinions... father_brain in particular has for over a year now. I like the dude, we've even talked in PMs, but I'm somewhat confused as to why he is trying to discredit me. I think his desire to see the vita fail is somehow personal, even though i can't figure out why that would be...

But should you trust insiders? Not entirely, no. There's plenty of reasons that info doesn't come out early, some having to do with not wanting the competition to know... but the other is because things change. A vita redesign next year may be the plan on July 30 but who knows if it actually comes into fruition in 2014. Things change. That doesn't mean that whoever says that info is wrong - they may very well be correct on July 30 but that doesn't mean it will be correct forever.

Thuway is exhaustive in his search for tech info. I know this first hand because before I even knew who he was he would PM me for details which I didn't have (I don't really know anyone on the tech side of things anywhere). He's constantly pooling as much info as he can. I do the same thing, but it tends to be about games. And the thing is that some people just have bad info. So you have to start weighing different things against who is saying them and what their track record is. I heard going into E3 that PS+ was going to be a paywall for online play... but then I was told by others that they were positive it wasn't. I believed them. Turns out I shouldn't have. The initial info I got was correct. But that doesn't mean the people who told me that are wrong about everything... in fact that were spot on about other stuff. So it's like a giant game of pooling together info and trying to sort fact from fiction, picking what seems solid enough to post... and then having people mix up your opinions with your leaks.

Basically it's messy. I do think the majority of people here get that... but obviously some of you don't. So here's the explanation to the process. Once I start posting bad info the mods will ban me. Same thing with anyone else here. So there's an awful lot of thought and double checking that goes into something before posting on this board. In fact, I would venture to guess that it's probably stricter than most sites are...

To give just one such example, he said in this thread that he expected a strong Vita showing at Gamescom, and in another thread on the same day that he didn't expect "anything amazing" to be shown.

How is that contradictory? There's quite a bit of room between strong and amazing.

EDIT: And to expound on that... this is the perfect example of what I'm saying getting twisted (which i'm not saying is your fault... but this is where it gets complicated). What I was told about gamescom sounds solid. There's many rumors about a price drop, obviously a desired thing, and a lot of indie games. I know that there are ports coming but I don't know what is at gamescom and what isn't. I checked in with someone and asked if the PS4 focus meant less vita stuff. He said he would check and get back to me. When he got back to me he said that there was still just as much vita stuff, none of it got pulled.

So, IMO, that's a strong showing. Now, in the vita games thread, where those guys know me and how I talk a bit better, I went a little deeper and, again, gave my opinion that there wasn't going to be anything amazing. I don't know that as fact. For all I know they could announce that GTA5 is a vita exclusive. I just don't personally think that's going to happen. Everything I have heard about is strong. For instance, and this isn't coming, but if there was a port of Kingdoms of Amalur coming to the vita I would consider that a strong title. It's not amazing... it's not a huge IP... it would be a port and not a new version... so again, not amazing. But strong. It would be a nice addition to the vita lineup.

I know it's hard to seperate the opinion from the fact and I may use definitions different than the people reading it (some may see strong as Bioshock, GTA and GT6... where I see it as less than that). I'm not intentionally misleading people though.

Basically it's messy. I do think the majority of people here get that... but obviously some of you don't. So here's the explanation to the process. Once I start posting bad info the mods will ban me. Same thing with anyone else here. So there's an awful lot of thought and double checking that goes into something before posting on this board. In fact, I would venture to guess that it's probably stricter than most sites are...

Stricter than most forums? Yeah. Not most sites though.

However, as I said, I love the information, but when (and I have to admit, it's a problem I've seen with you WAY less) known insiders post in threads, I'd argue it's good etiquette to distinguish between their excitement, their expectations, and the actual things they've heard.

Because 50% of insider posts I see are HOPEFUL. As you point out, you guys are fans too and a lot of the time I find it hard to glean actual information from a post, rather than selective hearing.

I guess I'm being pretty 'Scrooge' about it anyway, becuase it's fun to discuss, and it's great to hear things here first, even if they're untrue. I just feel there's a lot of 'drive-by insiderisms' going on recently, for want of a better phrase.

DBT85

I don't really wanna get him in trouble or anything, but there's been a PS4 conference today - I'm guessing for partners. This is according to a community manager with Tecmo Koei.

I wonder why.... Weird.

https://twitter.com/inspchin

I imagine both do them all the time in the leadup to launch.

Related to this?

https://twitter.com/rubencito/status/362593132761739264

Sony sales conference. ! (@ San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina -

and this
https://twitter.com/SteveAnthony23/status/362587605092691968
Getting ready for Sony Sales and COO Awards Conference

Vitter.

On toys r us site the PS4 is listed for an estimated delivery on 11/30/13 I don´t think that confirms a date or anything, and im still hoping for a pre COD release(I don´t play it, just think it would be strategic for them to release it).

link

btkadams

On toys r us site the PS4 is listed for an estimated delivery on 11/30/13 I don´t think that confirms a date or anything, and im still hoping for a pre COD release(I don´t play it, just think it would be strategic for them to release it).

link

my futureshop.ca order has said november 30 since e3. it's just placeholder. it won't come on/after black friday.

How is that contradictory? There's quite a bit of room between strong and amazing.

Like I said... vague enough to not explicitly contradict each other, but contradictory enough in tone to not make much sense when read side by side. See also: knowing "major parts" of the 2014 lineup that are enough to give you confidence in the future of the platform, vs. those "major parts" only being PSN/indie titles.

I don't think "insiders" (I keep putting it in quotes because I really hate the term, especially considering i'm not inside anything... I'm just friendly) are authorities on anything. I love the vita and think it's great and think that it will live out its life cycle.... father_brain thinks it will be canceled next year. I don't claim to be more right than he is. I do know sony's blueprint for 2014 but that doesn't mean it's set in stone. Shit changes. Maybe the vita absolutely tanks this holiday and they axe the fucker. That's not impossible. I don't think it's likely but again - I don't think i'm any sort of authority on the vita or how it's going to sell or whatnot. When I give opinions on that it's just that... opinions. There's no inside info that says "it will sell 10 million units next year" because thus far no one in Sony has a time machine.

The bolded bits are quite a contrast to how you've talked about this previously. Keep this up and represent your own (and my) posting record accurately, and I'll be on your case a lot less.

Top Bottom