• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

Download speed isn't the problem, latency is. And I doubt we are going to figure out how to improve the speed of light anytime soon.

Let's look at a few factors

1. The vast majority of gamers don't need/care about console or PC like latency
2. There are a multitude of ways to reduce latency.
3. GeforceNow has already gotten pretty close to par on latency.

Pretty sure next gen gamepads will followsuit with Luna in having wifi capabilities which will further reduce latency. Will be very interesting to see if Sony does anything with the portal to reduce latency when/if they implement cloud gaming.

Laptop1991

I've just seen Mac's review from Worth a Buy of Ghosts of Tsushima, so i might, later in the year add to Sony's PC loot haul,, it looks really good, 1st Sony game i've actually wanted to buy and play, and you gotta say, it's working out for Sony, putting games on PC judging by the amount of money they are making.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pretty much. Sony makes a lot of high selling games but they would be very at risk in that theoretical future, without the 30% passive income from tons of 3rd party games. Their games take a long time to make and don't have tons of passive microtransactions and they already operate at lower than expected profit margins with their own closed ecosystem. Microsoft is positioned for that future already at this point with Call of Duty, Minecraft, Bethesda which already operated as a 3rd party for decades, and Gamepass and soon a PC store linking everything together on basically any device. Nintendo is their own thing, but they could sell their 1st party almost anywhere (TVs, PCs, phones), and it costs less to make, and they put out tons of it and they already live without most 3rd party sales except indies.

I think we have 1 more normal console generation from Sony and Nintendo. So if that hits in 2027 or 2028, give it 7 years after that. So 2034 all bets are off completely in my book. I personally wouldn't predict what things will look like in 10 years. Just going to wait and see.

I completely agree with the bolded. Anything more than 10 years out, makes it silly to predict things.

No, technology changes drastically faster than that. Look at the advancement of internet speeds since the 90s and early 2000s. We went from like 1.5mbps to a gigabit in like 15 years.

Look at smartphones and how they've revolutionized the world. The iPhone didn't hit the market until 2007. 3G followed shortly after with speeds of 2-14 mbps. Just a decade later we have 5G which has speeds of 10-20 gbps.

So yes, within the next 10 years the market share from streaming is going to be significant as technology continues to improve.

You aren't taking into account people's behavior and choice. Streaming will play a bigger role 10 years from now. But it will NEVER be the only way to play PS7 games. It just doesn't make business sense.

I completely agree with the bolded. Anything more than 10 years out, makes it silly to predict things.

You aren't taking into account people's behavior and choice. Streaming will play a bigger role 10 years from now. But it will NEVER be the only way to play PS7 games. It just doesn't make business sense.

I didn't say it would be the only way to play PS7 games, but every subsequent generation from when streaming hits mainstream, they'll lose 3rd party support. It's inevitable.

Positioning themselves where they don't actually need 3rd party support is the only guarantee they can have that they'll remain not only relevant in gaming, but the leader in it.

T2 gives them GTA, Red Dead, 2K Sports. This ensures your platform has a future.

mckmas8808

I didn't say it would be the only way to play PS7 games, but every subsequent generation from when streaming hits mainstream, they'll lose 3rd party support. It's inevitable.

Positioning themselves where they don't actually need 3rd party support is the only guarantee they can have that they'll remain not only relevant in gaming, but the leader in it.

T2 gives them GTA, Red Dead, 2K Sports. This ensures your platform has a future.

I think they'll lower the PS Store cut from 30% to 10%, before all 3rd parties leave and start up their own streaming spots. But I see what you are getting at.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
That’s racist

I think they'll lower the PS Store cut from 30% to 10%, before all 3rd parties leave and start up their own streaming spots. But I see what you are getting at.

Reducing to 10% will have the same impact, significantly reduced operating income and the absolute need to produce their own content.

proandrad

Nintendo needs to jump on pc. Only way to truly combat piracy is by offering a better product. Native tears of the kingdom without messing with emulation would be a major hit.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it'll be something like Steam, MS Store, GOG, Epic, PS Store, Take 2 Store (they already have a GTA sub), EA Store, Nintendo Store, Ubisoft Store, maybe that's it. And indies and smaller games will be on everything. Not sure what Japanese publishers will do, maybe take the 10% loss which is still 20% better than now. 9 apps on any device, similar to what we ended up with on TV streaming, but these can be downloaded also if you want on a PC.

Maybe someone will make a uniform mega store that just lists prices from all of these side by side. If consoles collapse, no one is going to let Steam have 30% of all sales for doing nothing.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My position on late pc ports is this, they should never be over $40. It’s not like the game needed to be built from the ground up again, like the story, voice acting, motion cap, etc. It’s a super reduced team modifying existing data that was already paid for by launching somewhere else first.

I’m actually surprised Steam users just accept late ports with high price tags.

mckmas8808

Some hope the gaming industry tanks ASAP so that whatever company owns the most IP and studios are able to build their version of the perfect industry.

Sad, but I think you're right. Many are hoping for the gaming industry to die for this very reason. And of course nobody can or will be able to build the "perfect" industry.

Yeah, I think it'll be something like Steam, MS Store, GOG, Epic, PS Store, Take 2 Store (they already have a GTA sub), EA Store, Nintendo Store, Ubisoft Store, maybe that's it. And indies and smaller games will be on everything. Not sure what Japanese publishers will do, maybe take the 10% loss which is still 20% better than now. 9 apps on any device, similar to what we ended up with on TV streaming, but these can be downloaded also if you want on a PC.

Maybe someone will make a uniform mega store that just lists prices from all of these side by side. If consoles collapse, no one is going to let Steam have 30% of all sales for doing nothing.

Your post is the real consoles never need to go away. Everything I bolded is disaster land.

Sad, but I think you're right. Many are hoping for the gaming industry to die for this very reason. And of course nobody can or will be able to build the "perfect" industry.

Your post is the real consoles never need to go away. Everything I bolded is disaster land.
I dont really see the issue. People making games keep more of their money and everyone can play anything on anything.

Oppoi

If you as me we've suffered through dystopian times ever since PC gaming suffered the loss of open standards.

mckmas8808

I dont really see the issue. People making games keep more of their money and everyone can play anything on anything.

The economy of video games doesn't work for the main players in this scenario. There are no incentives. I think some people underestimate just how much money is being made by the sheer fact that gamers are being a "brand's" controller, 1st party game, console, etc.

MS has weirdly lead many to believe profits aren't possible in the video game industry, thus the only answer is to be a 3rd party publisher and own alot of IP (even if you have to buy it from someone). This simply isn't true. Nintendo and Sony are doing mighty fine in today's current system. VERY VERY fine, mind you.

The economy of video games doesn't work for the main players in this scenario. There are no incentives. I think some people underestimate just how much money is being made by the sheer fact that gamers are being a "brand's" controller, 1st party game, console, etc.

MS has weirdly lead many to believe profits aren't possible in the video game industry, thus the only answer is to be a 3rd party publisher and own alot of IP (even if you have to buy it from someone). This simply isn't true. Nintendo and Sony are doing mighty fine in today's current system. VERY VERY fine, mind you.
Sure, I hear you. Its just a guess. Its not MS thing completely. I fell out of the Sony ecosystem first this gen. Just me guessing which way the wind is blowing in terms of growth and younger audiences. Sony is always going to be around and their brand loyalty is insane. I just am saying they appear out of position and would potentially have a more painful adaptation period than the others in this theoretical future.

Top Bottom