• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen crowdfunding passes $700 million

Topher

Gold Member
So what do you do in Star Citizen? Is there a proper single-player campaign that I can play through?

It's really just a big unfinished MMO. You can take on missions like courier shit or do mining, bounty hunting. There's a whole first person shooter component. It is pretty massive, but again, entirely unfinished. My son and I tried to play a few basic courier type missions but were not able to complete a single one due to bugs that screwed stuff up. I finally gave up trying and like a lot of other people.......just waiting for it to finish. But right now.....no, there is no single player campaign. There is one in the works called Squadron 42.......supposedly.

Filben

You get up from the bed, travel on a bullet train through the megalopolis covering entire planet, get in your ship and fly with Mach 2 to the upper layers of atmosphere.

Then you engage quantum drive and observe how in-game object actually accelerates to sub-C speeds as it travels through millions of actual kilometers as distant dot flickering is transforming to another planet.

Idfk about overused jokes or mind gymnastics. Deep down your hearts you all know that they achieved unprecedented things. Things that are genuinely interesting and exciting to interact with.
This sound all super cool. Honestly.

But it appears to be more like a framework or simulation sandbox and not a complete game. Is there more to it that keeps you engaged besides (actual) physics? Is there a story? Is there a good gameplay loop that feels rewarding, keeps you on your toes, has surprises and twists for you? How is the quest system? Are there quests that turn out to be something different completely as you go along? Is there any grind and if so does it still respect your time? Is there environmental story telling bits? How is the world building and lore? Is it still fun to play and to interact with the world and environment because it always delivers something new you couldn't foresee?

EDIT: mixed up quotes.

Last edited:

Denton

Star Citizen as a playable game is out in early access and people are buying it because they want to play it.

CIG should stop calling it crowdfunding at this point, it is no different from other early access games (and hasn't been in years). This just invites braindead morons to shout their scam nonsense, as this thread amply demonstrates.

Topher

Gold Member
This sound all super cool. Honestly.

But it appears to be more like a framework or simulation sandbox and not a complete game. Is there more to it that keeps you engaged besides (actual) physics? Is there a story? Is there a good gameplay loop that feels rewarding, keeps you on your toes, has surprises and twists for you? How is the quest system? Are there quests that turn out to be something different completely as you go along? Is there any grind and if so does it still respect your time? Is there environmental story telling bits? How is the world building and lore? Is it still fun to play and to interact with the world and environment because it always delivers something new you couldn't foresee?

Not sure if you meant to quote me or someone else there. But to answer your question, no there is no actual story here that I've seen. It's just a sandbox. No lore or any of that. Biggest problem with it is the bugs that bork everything up. So can't really say it is "fun" yet. Not for me at least. I'll fire the game up every now and then and see what progress has been made, but usually I come away disappointed.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Elite Dangerous which “released” early is now in shambles with Frontier on the brink of bankruptcy, Braben left CEO position and the engine is so duct taped that to enhance things forward and make their space sim competitive and give what the fans want, they have to start the engine from scratch. It’s dead
Man, I can’t stop thinking about how much of a waste that game turned out to be in the end. I spent way more hours in the black exploring star systems than I care to admit.

I know some folks mention No Man’s Sky, but I dislike the flight model in that game so much. I want proper simulation, not an arcade-like ease of play experience. It’s sadly just not for me.

Buggy Loop

So what do you do in Star Citizen? Is there a proper single-player campaign that I can play through?

SQ42 is the single player campaign

SC will be online and goes for emergent gameplay / sandbox. There's missions of course but not in the sense of a single player campaign.

You can be a miner / gunner / salvager / merc / medic / pirate / bounty hunter / nomad / cargo hauler (space trucks!) and probably a few more I forget.. Soon engineering is coming in. There's missions for almost all of these to gain reputation and get bigger contracts. Bounty hunting for example will mix NPCs in but someone in the online game that gains a crime stat can suddenly become a target too, etc.

Eventually when you do missions I believe it unlocks story missions, but i personally never stumbled on those. I guess it's supply runs that open them, no clue.

Examples of emergent gameplay :

Drugs were stashed and produced at jumptown. It became a huge PVP playground for taking over the supply and control of it.

Stealing peoples' cargo by pirating

They have events. Jumptown, overdrive, xenothreats, etc etc.

Yes it can be buggy, Jackfrags is kind of a good representation. You'll die to bugs, especially when there's free tryout events like the past weeks where the servers are hammered.

But there's nothing like it when everything clicks.

There's a saying in SC chat which is "FU Star Citizen and see you tomorrow". Legit can waste hours of your time from a bug, but can be quite addictive when you've seen or played with peoples and had good runs.

TVexperto

But there's nothing like it when everything clicks.

There's a saying in SC chat which is "FU Star Citizen and see you tomorrow". Legit can waste hours of your time from a bug, but can be quite addictive when you've seen or played with peoples and had good runs.

> click jackfrags video
> randomly click to 11:26m
> jackfrag is stuck in a wall and clips out

Last edited:

Ribi

Eh come here. Closer. A little bit closer. Yeah:

AT LEAST THOSE GAMES (GTA, RDR) ARE RELEASING.

Star Citizen with 100+ system will never, NEVER happen. Also just for curiosity, do you know how they will fix the problem with hitreg and tickrate? Because that's a BIG problem. And before you call me a troll, I bought the game in 2013 and I "played it", I'm keeping myself informed and that is why I can say that 100+ system in SC will not happen.

$700 million is ridiculous.
So wait.... We're letting GTA 6 cook for a decade plus and last I checked it hasn't released... That's strange I must have missed that and also missed the campaign against it that it was taking so long.

Release!?? The fuck does that mean? Fortnite made billions.... IN BETA no one fucking batted a fucking eye. Release means jack shit.

Filben

Not sure if you meant to quote me or someone else there. But to answer your question, no there is no actual story here that I've seen. It's just a sandbox. No lore or any of that. Biggest problem with it is the bugs that bork everything up. So can't really say it is "fun" yet. Not for me at least. I'll fire the game up every now and then and see what progress has been made, but usually I come away disappointed.
Ah, yes, I wanted to quote you for something else, decided against it and by deleting my text I messed it up with another quote from another member. But thanks for answering anyways!

A.Romero

The people I know that have invested in it are pretty happy and hyped. I personally wouldn't but to each it's own.

The game development has advanced so it's proof they are doing something. If taking the money and run was the aim they probably missed the optimal exit window.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I spent $250 dollars to get an exclusive ship that will probably be re-released sometime down the line. The F8C Lightning. I've probably put 100 or so hours into the game by now. I started playing only a few years ago. From what I remember when I first started, the game has come a long way. The latest 3.23.1 patch has overhauled the UI, further balanced ships, added fauna to the game amongst other new features.

The best I can explain what Star Citizen is...it's very ambitious and trying to implement technology never seen before in gaming in its "Server Meshing". Basically it allows servers to communicate across one another to allow a greater number of players on a server, more object permanency and for objects to seemlessly transfer between two or more servers, So you would be able to drop a gun in the middle of no where and come back days later and it would still be there, as a crude example.

Does this justify the amount of time it's taken to get this game out? Absolutely not. Does it make the game a scam? Also no. When you pay money to the game you get what you paid for. It's only if the game never comes out that one could call it a scam. Cuz then there would be an end to service without the game ever being released.

Far as I can see, the game has continuously improved since I started playing, be it by having more ships, offering ship balancing, new gameplay mechanics such as mining, salvage, Peer to peer ship refueling, racing, hunting, spelunking, etc. There's been locations added, some semblance of a storyline for both law abiding citizens and criminals alike. I could keep going, but I won't bore you with that.

Ultimately though, like a game such as Roblox or Minecraft...it's the community that makes the game what it is. I'll give an example.

Before the 3.18 patch wipe where all money, ships bought with in game currency items in inventory were wiped a random player put up a rescue beacon for 15,000 auec (in game currency). This was far away, maybe 60 million Kilometers from me, clear across the Solar System. I wasn't doing much at the time so I said screw it, invited the guy to my party and began to route myself to his location. Long story short, after travelling for about 10 minutes I finally get to him and he's in the middle of nowhere....holding a box.

I call him using the in game call feature, asking why is he all the way out here, what happened to his ship? He said he ran into some trouble with some criminals and lost a wing, so decided to grab all the oxygen he could, set the ship to self destruct and bailed out so he wouldn't get caught in the blast. Now he's just floating out here. I like "Okayyyy, but what's the deal with the box"?

He responds, "Alright, you got me...I actually came all the way out here and set my ship to self destruct just to see if somebody was crazy and kind enough to come out here....and have a beer with me...so yea, that's what's in the box".

I'm cracking the fuck up at this point, and I open the ramp so he can float over and get in the back of my ship. I get out the pilot seat and sure enough....the box had a bunch of drinks in it. We crack a couple and just laugh about how ridiculous and admittedly genius this was. I ask him what's his destination is and we start the long trip back to his home planet. On the way he was clueing me in on the best ways to make money when the new patch comes out....what the best ships are. best guns for the ship and we shared a couple of stories of adventurous mishaps we've experienced.

When we finally arrived, he said he appreciated the time and the effort and sent me 2 million auec as a tip so I could go buy another ship to try out. It was frickin awesome.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I prefer waiting on Squadron 42 as that's a game in final polish + much smaller in scope. Im more excited for that, could be a Cyberpunk moment.

Does that mean squadron 42 will release soon?
That's far more likely. Its the one game i expect could hit consoles too.

Buggy Loop

I spent $250 dollars to get an exclusive ship that will probably be re-released sometime down the line. The F8C Lightning. I've probably put 100 or so hours into the game by now. I started playing only a few years ago. From what I remember when I first started, the game has come a long way. The latest 3.23.1 patch has overhauled the UI, further balanced ships, added fauna to the game amongst other new features.

The best I can explain what Star Citizen is...it's very ambitious and trying to implement technology never seen before in gaming in its "Server Meshing". Basically it allows servers to communicate across one another to allow a greater number of players on a server, more object permanency and for objects to seemlessly transfer between two or more servers, So you would be able to drop a gun in the middle of no where and come back days later and it would still be there, as a crude example.

Does this justify the amount of time it's taken to get this game out? Absolutely not. Does it make the game a scam? Also no. When you pay money to the game you get what you paid for. It's only if the game never comes out that one could call it a scam. Cuz then there would be an end to service without the game ever being released.

Far as I can see, the game has continuously improved since I started playing, be it by having more ships, offering ship balancing, new gameplay mechanics such as mining, salvage, Peer to peer ship refueling, racing, hunting, spelunking, etc. There's been locations added, some semblance of a storyline for both law abiding citizens and criminals alike. I could keep going, but I won't bore you with that.

Ultimately though, like a game such as Roblox or Minecraft...it's the community that makes the game what it is. I'll give an example.

Before the 3.18 patch wipe where all money, ships bought with in game currency items in inventory were wiped a random player put up a rescue beacon for 15,000 auec (in game currency). This was far away, maybe 60 million Kilometers from me, clear across the Solar System. I wasn't doing much at the time so I said screw it, invited the guy to my party and began to route myself to his location. Long story short, after travelling for about 10 minutes I finally get to him and he's in the middle of nowhere....holding a box.

I call him using the in game call feature, asking why is he all the way out here, what happened to his ship? He said he ran into some trouble with some criminals and lost a wing, so decided to grab all the oxygen he could, set the ship to self destruct and bailed out so he wouldn't get caught in the blast. Now he's just floating out here. I like "Okayyyy, but what's the deal with the box"?

He responds, "Alright, you got me...I actually came all the way out here and set my ship to self destruct just to see if somebody was crazy and kind enough to come out here....and have a beer with me...so yea, that's what's in the box".

I'm cracking the fuck up at this point, and I open the ramp so he can float over and get in the back of my ship. I get out the pilot seat and sure enough....the box had a bunch of drinks in it. We crack a couple and just laugh about how ridiculous and admittedly genius this was. I ask him what's his destination is and we start the long trip back to his home planet. On the way he was clueing me in on the best ways to make money when the new patch comes out....what the best ships are. best guns for the ship and we shared a couple of stories of adventurous mishaps we've experienced.

When we finally arrived, he said he appreciated the time and the effort and sent me 2 million auec as a tip so I could go buy another ship to try out. It was frickin awesome.

Amazing story with that player wow.

I'm more of a loner as of now in the game, inevitably run into other players but most often in the past months I was carrying illegal cargo so I was mainly paranoid about being pirated. But experiences with other players is where its at for sure.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Amazing story with that player wow.

I'm more of a loner as of now in the game, inevitably run into other players but most often in the past months I was carrying illegal cargo so I was mainly paranoid about being pirated. But experiences with other players is where its at for sure.
Yea I typically just play solo as well, grinding my missions and watch global chat cuz it's usually pretty funny. This was the most memorable experience I had in the game so far though and it had nothing to do with the structure of the game.

I haven't really delved into the criminal side as much as I'd like to...but early wipe...it seems to make the most money for the effort. I might try it this time around.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So wait.... We're letting GTA 6 cook for a decade plus and last I checked it hasn't released... That's strange I must have missed that and also missed the campaign against it that it was taking so long.
Sure, let's ignore the fact that R* released RDR II. Also if you haven't seen the many people complaining it's taking too long for GTA VI you must be blind or living under a rock.

Release!?? The fuck does that mean?

For Star Citizen a release would mean a 1.0 with every features, gameplay and tech promised during the Kickstarter and after. But that's not gonna happen.

Fortnite made billions.... IN BETA no one fucking batted a fucking eye.
Yeah so what? Star citizen is making millions on .png and you are acting like it's ok. Also Fortnite is a shitty game that uses predatory technique to get money from young people. Not sure what you are trying to prove here.

Buggy Loop

Star Citizen with 100+ system will never, NEVER happen. Also just for curiosity, do you know how they will fix the problem with hitreg and tickrate? Because that's a BIG problem. And before you call me a troll, I bought the game in 2013 and I "played it", I'm keeping myself informed and that is why I can say that 100+ system in SC will not happen.

For Star Citizen a release would mean a 1.0 with every features, gameplay and tech promised during the Kickstarter and after. But that's not gonna happen.

6M goal stretch for the "Star Citizen will launch with 100 star systems" is in a period of time in the funding where planets were literally jpegs. Like Starfield planets when in space.

Landing with cut-scenes to land at fake landing zones on-rail. Landing anywhere on said planets and have it fully explorable without any loading, entirely seamless from came much later, tech spawned in 2015 at Crytek. Massive change and leap in technology, means change of scope and they revised to 5-10 systems for 1.0 release and then gradually expand.

Last thing I want is to just make a procedural shake and bake to have 100 star systems and have it feel completely useless like Elite Dangerous and Starfield did. Stanton system has bespoke hero locations and so did Pyro during testing. Lowering the quality of systems for sake of numbers is useless. Solar systems have also increased in size dramatically compared to initial funding. A single planet to scale in Stanton probably has a bigger surface area to play on than 50 solar systems when they were jpegs textures on a ball in space circa 2013. Again, scopes change. Peoples can cling to X or Y feature and then yell at the cloud that 1.0 is not truly released according to a list of features that drastically changed during funding, but ok. What if 1.0 is fun for what it is, what happens? Universe collapse?

As for hitreg and tickrate, server meshing. Tested just 2 months ago on ePTU and on alpha 4.0 release timeline. Dynamic server meshing likely for 1.0.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
6M goal stretch for the "Star Citizen will launch with 100 star systems" is in a period of time in the funding where planets were literally jpegs. Like Starfield planets when in space.

Landing with cut-scenes to land at fake landing zones on-rail. Landing anywhere on said planets and have it fully explorable without any loading, entirely seamless from came much later, tech spawned in 2015 at Crytek. Massive change and leap in technology, means change of scope and they revised to 5-10 systems for 1.0 release and then gradually expand.
Hahaha I was waiting for that. So what about exploration? With 5 systems it's gonna be very limited.

Last thing I want is to just make a procedural shake and bake to have 100 star systems and have it feel completely useless like Elite Dangerous and Starfield did. Stanton system has bespoke hero locations and so did Pyro during testing. Lowering the quality of systems for sake of numbers is useless.
But that's the thing, SC was supposed to have the numbers and the quality. Turns out they can't do both as expected so yeah of course massive downgrade in scale.

Again, scopes change. Peoples can cling to X or Y feature and then yell at the cloud that 1.0 is not truly released according to a list of features that drastically changed during funding, but ok. What if 1.0 is fun for what it is, what happens? Universe collapse?
Oh for sure, but the fanboyism is insane honestly. Problem is RSI is selling .png with features (again what about the exploration) that won't be in game or with a totally reduced scope at best, based on very good trailer. Now they know how to do those.

As for hitreg and tickrate, server meshing. Tested just 2 months ago on ePTU and on alpha 4.0 release timeline. Dynamic server meshing likely for 1.0.
I know that. Saying "server meshing" is nice but that's just 2 words. I need proof it's gonna work and handle seamlessly the thousands of players in an universe as detailed as SC. But there is no proof because it's probably not even doable right now.

calistan

Gold Member
I bought into it about a week ago, so I’m now part of the problem. It’s janky as fuck, and clearly a very long way from being finished, but what’s there is vast in scope and really impressive.

I wasn’t going to have much time to play it during the free play week, so $40 or whatever seems cheap for the chance to explore it at my leisure later.

If it releases and it’s everything people hoped for, that would be perfect. But if it’s in alpha forever, or they abandoned it some day, I don’t really care. I’ve spent much more on games I’ve abandoned after a few hours.

Last edited:

Denton

Yeah so what? Star citizen is making millions on .png and you are acting like it's ok.
dead alive horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

Also Fortnite is a shitty game that uses predatory technique to get money from young people.
Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Buggy Loop

Hahaha I was waiting for that. So what about exploration? With 5 systems it's gonna be very limited.

What's your idea of exploration?

Load random solar system #99, see a rock, hit a button to get the scanner out, scan planet and voila? Like Elite Dangerous? Like how pointless it becomes in No man sky with a bazillion planet?

SC has exploration ships that when implemented, simply fine tune scanning for long range and resolution. Now what do you scan for?
You inherently at the very least need more than one system.
When the game will have jump points,
  • There will be anomalies where they are displaced and have to be found again.
  • Points of interest, on asteroids, moons, planets, caves will not be spoon fed. The new quantum boost which lets the player control of flight rather than follow a point will have much fewer points than current game and huge distances between them. Creating new ones then comes into play.
  • You can be making a recon to find an organization hiding in an asteroid belt.
  • Finding new depots of minerals for miners.
  • Locating new wrecks/derelicts for either a mission or salvaging.
  • Finding artifacts to sell. Finding signal sources.
  • Finding player made bases.
  • You can place markers on your map to then have database. You can sell the data. They have financial impact and worth a price. Ship computers can store a given amount of data and you can't just load the whole game data and off you go. Data selling, trading and even smuggling will exist.

But that's the thing, SC was supposed to have the numbers and the quality. Turns out they can't do both as expected so yeah of course massive downgrade in scale.

Not a $6M funding stage no it did not. It didn't even have seamless transition from space to ground until 3 years later.
I don't agree about downgrade. Full scale planets & their moons and asteroid belts with their own hand crafted areas are a bigger scale than 300 planet textures with smaller dedicated places to land on. We've seen the result of that in Starfield. Nobody cared for that kind of feature. The systems have to be good first and foremost.

Oh for sure, but the fanboyism is insane honestly. Problem is RSI is selling .png with features (again what about the exploration) that won't be in game or with a totally reduced scope at best, based on very good trailer. Now they know how to do those.

I know that. Saying "server meshing" is nice but that's just 2 words. I need proof it's gonna work and handle seamlessly the thousands of players in an universe as detailed as SC. But there is no proof because it's probably not even doable right now.

Well ok, visit SC threads once in a while in coming months and surely tests will ramp up after the invictus event. They had static server meshing in ePTU and the concept works, transitioning from one server to the other, and still able to fire bullets and damage the enemies on the other side. Much like the citizencon demo but in the PU scale. They'll continue tests and ramp up.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What's your idea of exploration?

Load random solar system #99, see a rock, hit a button to get the scanner out, scan planet and voila? Like Elite Dangerous? Like how pointless it becomes in No man sky with a bazillion planet?

SC has exploration ships that when implemented, simply fine tune scanning for long range and resolution. Now what do you scan for?
You inherently at the very least need more than one system.
When the game will have jump points,
  • There will be anomalies where they are displaced and have to be found again.
  • Points of interest, on asteroids, moons, planets, caves will not be spoon fed. The new quantum boost which lets the player control of flight rather than follow a point will have much fewer points than current game and huge distances between them. Creating new ones then comes into play.
  • You can be making a recon to find an organization hiding in an asteroid belt.
  • Finding new depots of minerals for miners.
  • Locating new wrecks/derelicts for either a mission or salvaging.
  • Finding artifacts to sell. Finding signal sources.
  • Finding player made bases.
  • You can place markers on your map to then have database. You can sell the data. They have financial impact and worth a price. Ship computers can store a given amount of data and you can't just load the whole game data and off you go. Data selling, trading and even smuggling will exist.
You have some good points but with this few system it's gonna be boring real quick. Almost looking like your normal MMO where you go to pick up "a very rare and mysterious item" with literally 25 person doing the same thing right next to you. Elite was boring too, but at least you could feel lost in space and SC was supposed to be the best of both worlds (massive universe with handmade points of interest) and unfortunately we are far from this (and trust me I hate to say it, I wish it was in a better state)
I guess time will tell, I hope you are right tho

Not a $6M funding stage no it did not. It didn't even have seamless transition from space to ground until 3 years later.
I don't agree about downgrade. Full scale planets & their moons and asteroid belts with their own hand crafted areas are a bigger scale than 300 planet textures with smaller dedicated places to land on. We've seen the result of that in Starfield. Nobody cared for that kind of feature. The systems have to be good first and foremost.
I get that and anyone in his right mind will agree. But again SC was supposed to be the best of both worlds. The lore is also SO BIG it's gonna look very weird with "just" 5 or even 10 systems.

Well ok, visit SC threads once in a while in coming months and surely tests will ramp up after the invictus event. They had static server meshing in ePTU and the concept works, transitioning from one server to the other, and still able to fire bullets and damage the enemies on the other side. Much like the citizencon demo but in the PU scale. They'll continue tests and ramp up.
I truly hope they can push it, I really do because if it happen I'm gonna spend thousands of hours in this game. But I doubt they can solve every problem. Theatre of War was probably shelved because of this.
At least we have amazing music (my gosh I love this one, I leave the launcher open just to listen to it)

Buggy Loop

You have some good points but with this few system it's gonna be boring real quick. Almost looking like your normal MMO where you go to pick up "a very rare and mysterious item" with literally 25 person doing the same thing right next to you. Elite was boring too, but at least you could feel lost in space and SC was supposed to be the best of both worlds (massive universe with handmade points of interest) and unfortunately we are far from this (and trust me I hate to say it, I wish it was in a better state)
I guess time will tell, I hope you are right tho

I get that and anyone in his right mind will agree. But again SC was supposed to be the best of both worlds. The lore is also SO BIG it's gonna look very weird with "just" 5 or even 10 systems.

I truly hope they can push it, I really do because if it happen I'm gonna spend thousands of hours in this game. But I doubt they can solve every problem. Theatre of War was probably shelved because of this.
At least we have amazing music (my gosh I love this one, I leave the launcher open just to listen to it)

See, I love posters like you

We don't agree on everything, but we met halfway and my efforts to put into words my comprehension and interpretation of it all just didn't fall into an "LOL" reply.

There's absolutely nothing wrong to doubt SC and its promises. Hell I don't think it will deliver on all promises. I've only started following the reddit community in the past months and even they seem harsh on CIG about almost every nitpicky things. So it's not like everyone is sucking CIG's dick and say nothing is wrong. Just like videos above for jackfrags, yes I'll tell anyone with any interest in SC that right now its janky and buggy. If they want to look into it after its up to them.
To me though it is already fun since I started playing last fall and I'm just crossing fingers for that ride that things just keep improving.

Soundtrack is absolutely killer

My favorites

Pedro Macedo is so good

Audiophile

Everything I see of Star Citizen no matter how impressive, leaves me not even feeling cold but feeling nothing.

It's so indistinct and bland. It seems devoid of any personality.

Buggy Loop

Everything I see of Star Citizen no matter how impressive, leaves me not even feeling cold but feeling nothing.

It's so indistinct and bland. It seems devoid of any personality.

Wow, first time I see that one

Its literally what I've wanted a sci-fi space game to be for like decades. Starfield totally missed the ball. Elite dangerous dropped the ball (stopped in its steps for the original vision).

Like it's janky and all, but that its bland and devoid of any personality is truely a first lol. To each their tastes I guess. Everytime I do a low fly-by or go from ground to space vice-versa, I don't get tired of it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
See, I love posters like you

We don't agree on everything, but we met halfway and my efforts to put into words my comprehension and interpretation of it all just didn't fall into an "LOL" reply.
Thanks mate, I feel you as a lot of people are very sensitive, fanboys or trolls. And it's exhausting to reply so most of the time I just don't bother but I've seen from some of your post that you are not like that and you calmly reply with fair arguments.
It's refreshing to have a normal conversation in there with different opinions.

I've only started following the reddit community in the past months and even they seem harsh on CIG about almost every nitpicky things
I think they are just tired by these delay and never ending reports. Just like me, I was a big SC defender for almost 10 years but I started loosing hope. I do think SQ42 will release in late 2025 or 2026 at the latest but SC? Who knows.

Buggy Loop

I think they are just tired by these delay and never ending reports. Just like me, I was a big SC defender for almost 10 years but I started loosing hope. I do think SQ42 will release in late 2025 or 2026 at the latest but SC? Who knows.

Oh for sure

I was more into Elite Dangerous in the meantime and got burned out of it and anyway got busy with life, went back to school to become an electrical engineer and after that, job, 3 kids. I kind of just get into SC "fresh" but maybe also at a good time for a slight hope of things budging forward.

Man, I can’t stop thinking about how much of a waste that game turned out to be in the end. I spent way more hours in the black exploring star systems than I care to admit.

I know some folks mention No Man’s Sky, but I dislike the flight model in that game so much. I want proper simulation, not an arcade-like ease of play experience. It’s sadly just not for me.

NMS is not for me either, god knows I tried and tried. The art style and simplification ships and how it flies and so on is a huge turn off for me. I was invested in Elite dangerous and well, you already know from previous discussions we had, it's free falling into a graveyard sadly.

I try to keep up to date with all space sims honestly, and just 5 days ago there was this

Absolutely no interest in those. Couldn't believe this is the state of things for future projects. Obsidianant typically has at least one that interests me but the latest one is quite bad.

I'm honestly considering getting my HOTAS out from the basement and reinstall Freespace 2 for a single player space sim craving.

Buggy Loop

I bought into it about a week ago, so I’m now part of the problem. It’s janky as fuck, and clearly a very long way from being finished, but what’s there is vast in scope and really impressive.

I wasn’t going to have much time to play it during the free play week, so $40 or whatever seems cheap for the chance to explore it at my leisure later.

If it releases and it’s everything people hoped for, that would be perfect. But if it’s in alpha forever, or they abandoned it some day, I don’t really care. I’ve spent much more on games I’ve abandoned after a few hours.

Oh btw, servers should calm down a lot after invictus event. Doesn't help that dupers found a glitch during the event and they duplicated hundreds and hundreds of ships they left littering the server. Patch is supposed to stop the duping but they'll have to wipe servers.

If they continue to get donations, they will never release the game and just make their money by donations and selling ships for unreasonable prices….

I guess there must be something to it when people keep giving them money. I think it’s a bit hard to call it a scam. By now everyone investing into this must know what he’s doing.

Goalus

That 300M figure included costs from all their projects, which we know at that time they were already working on:

Ratchet and Clank;
Spider-Man 2
Venom
Wolverine
X-Men
(Possibly Spider-Man 3 as well)
Spiderman 2
Spiderman with aliens
Spiderman with claws
Spiderman with mutants
Spiderman 3

Exciting.

Paasei

Then why do you care. I've had hours of fun with my $35! Hell I'll probably boot up again rn just because of this comment and have more fun!
You need negative comments about a certain game to have (more) fun with it? There's plenty of it here in this thread. It'll probably be the best game of all time for you, just because of comments and not the game!

Anyway, enjoy.

Buggy Loop

I'm sure all these ad hominems are going to convince the neutral observer.

Yeah…

I suggest you read that guy’s form of argument and name calling in a thread for an SC patch that peoples are playing. Not about funding, just a patch.

There’s no convincing needed in here. Nobody gives a crap you add $45 like a drop of water in the ocean of $702M (yes 2M more since thread started). You can wait till the product is finished and if never it is released, you can knock back in your chair and say wow, dodged a massive bullet, good thing I didn’t even try it for free during the trials! I could have spent maybe a $45 to start and then BAM! 45K got out of my pocket to buy ships! Phew!

I can help you get a refund if you backed in 2012-13 or whatever year and you’re not satisfied. You can’t refund those old ass pledges officially but there’s grey markets that will buy them.

I will go against misinformation and bullshit though, that’s irrelevant to SC, I do that in general for any topics that interest me. Dog pilling on something due to discord-like easy dopamine reactions by saying « scam! » and internet memes without any thinking is brain rot.

Now, I’ve had my dose of typing for this topic. See you at $750M and the inevitable neogaf thread.

Ribi

You need negative comments about a certain game to have (more) fun with it? There's plenty of it here in this thread. It'll probably be the best game of all time for you, just because of comments and not the game!

Anyway, enjoy.
Now I'm gnna log in double the hours!

TVexperto

• Where is SQ42
  • Where is Theaters of War
  • Where are the 1000 + player concurrent seamless servers
  • Where is server moshing
  • Where are the other 90% of the 100% funded stretch goals from 2012-2013
  • Where is Quanta AI and the back-ground universe simulation
  • Where is the Newtonian physics based realistic flight model we were promised
  • Where are the other 109 star systems
  • Where is the FPS combat on par with any other AAA title on the market
  • Where is the AI that was going to be on par with a player character
  • Where are the modular ship modules
  • Where is modding
  • Where is base building
  • Where is exploration and science

These are all things CIG has been promising for years they are what got this garbage project green lit in the first place other wise there would be no tech demo and surprise surprise 95% of this stuff is vaporware.
You got a Bartender a Barista and Planet Tech every other aspect of the game is hot steaming dog shit. I mean the Bartender and Barista are dog shit as well I just added them because CIG boasted about how they were going to be an AI revolution.

DaGwaphics

Good for them.

Meanwhile spider man 2 with a reused city and engine cost 300mil and GTA costs about as much an takes as long and no one complains.

If this was just a typical game that got developed behind the scenes for 10 years and then was announced and released for $70, no one would say anything about it.

Also, most big budget games that have long dev times have a forward looking vision, meaning when they do get released they look cutting edge at release date. SC and GTA 6 may have started development in the same window, but I bet I know which one will look like it belongs in 2025 when we get there.

Top Bottom