• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen crowdfunding passes $700 million

Laptop1991

Shit ton of games "officially" come out and are clearly early access games or gimped. Officially released means jack fucking shit to a GAAS. And yes I'm looking at you NMS and SOT
I was being ironic due to how much money its making

LostDonkey

Soon the whales show up in this thread to defend the fuck out of it, because they spent over 10k on this and really don't want to acknowledge their bad decision.
Someone gifted the game to me. I'll defend it because when it all does come together it's an amazing experience. I haven't spent a penny on it.

TVexperto

i urge everyone to watch the sunk cost galaxy doc about this scam

The creator was one of the original 12 (if I recall correctly) angel investors. I have read/heard that all but one have pulled their money, but have no factual basis for that either way, so it's merely hearsay. Unless Bootcha knows.
He has a whole series on SC. IMO the fact that he mostly uses CIG's own marketing content really adds to the strength of his argument.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
You and tvexperto (who even has developed stalking tendencies around this) obviously can't stand that people enjoy something you don't. It's a fucking game, if you don't like it, move on. Your obsessions are not healthy.

At this date, it's not a game, it's a scam.

When it releases and proves itself a game, we will talk about the game, which right now this is not.

FireFly

When it releases and proves itself a game, we will talk about the game, which right now this is not.
The game is either in development and on track for a 1.0 release, or it's not. It's not like Schrödinger's cat where it's in some indeterminate state until the box is opened.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Shh you can't say that because people don't care about its budget or feature creep of the engine like horse balls
Eh come here. Closer. A little bit closer. Yeah:

AT LEAST THOSE GAMES (GTA, RDR) ARE RELEASING.

Star Citizen with 100+ system will never, NEVER happen. Also just for curiosity, do you know how they will fix the problem with hitreg and tickrate? Because that's a BIG problem. And before you call me a troll, I bought the game in 2013 and I "played it", I'm keeping myself informed and that is why I can say that 100+ system in SC will not happen.

$700 million is ridiculous.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Shh you can't say that because people don't care about its budget or feature creep of the engine like horse balls
Are you comparing the upcoming biggest anticipated entertainment (not only gaming) release to this scam? Rockstar games actually get released.

Paasei

I don't know. But i rather play this over all these shitty releases we have this day in the gaming landscape. People play early access games for years and they don't bother?

Yep, I get that. I don't play early access games either, no matter how good they seem to be. But you're right, I also tend to focus more and more on the indie market and in house studios of Nintendo and Sony. These games tend to all be better than your standard AAA titles.

Someone gifted the game to me. I'll defend it because when it all does come together it's an amazing experience. I haven't spent a penny on it.
I wouldn't defend any company behind a game. Game itself? Ah well, as long as you yourself truly enjoy the game then nobody should tell you otherwise.
Looking at it objectivily it's just bullshit a game that started in 2010 (pre-production) still doesn't have a full release and no info on when that is going to happen. No matter how much you like the game, that's dubious.

You can buy access to the game with a ship for $35 to $60 last time I checked. You get a ship and some singleplayer campaign (?) But there has to be a reason some ships are hella expensive and others are not.
There's no way that's just about looks. At the very least it's something to be very cautious about.

Miles708

Again, they have more than enough money.

Even assuming all the good faith in the world, let's stop giving them even more money.

It's time for them to get heads down and make a marketable product.

Buggy Loop

Nobody has a fucking clue what a scam is uh?

You’re 5-15 peoples making a demo for kickstarter

You raise the biggest financing campaign the platform has ever seen

That’s it, that’s the time, the time to run away with the money and split it between yourselves.

But no, you build 7 studios globally, ramp up to a thousand employees, go over bumps on the road like Crytek suing 30 times, go to Amazon lumberyard and then it stops, then continue with your own engine but you need capable peoples to maintain it.

Most studios would have folded like a chair with the above snags. Yet their most successful years in financing and players being online are in the past 3~4 years. Last year alone in funding it was more money than the 2012 & 2013 and part 2014 campaigns.

Elite Dangerous which “released” early is now in shambles with Frontier on the brink of bankruptcy, Braben left CEO position and the engine is so duct taped that to enhance things forward and make their space sim competitive and give what the fans want, they have to start the engine from scratch. It’s dead

I used to laugh at SC funding while Elite Dangerous was released. I backed both back then. SC had feature creep, oh yeah. SC has been mismanaged, for sure. Now, they are progressing rapidly. Something changed over there. They presented the tech and it is being implemented currently.

Hudo

Gold Member
I remember when Chris Roberts said "Remember Wing Commander?".

So now we have a fucking pseudo MMO that won't be as good as Freelancer and the single-player part, which was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Wing Commander, and the thing that they've initially build their whole sales pitch on, is now a fucking afterthought?

Great stuff.

Unknown?

Good for them.

Meanwhile spider man 2 with a reused city and engine cost 300mil and GTA costs about as much an takes as long and no one complains.
What do you want them to do? Remake NYC every single time they make a game? What could possibly change anywya, it's based on a real life city.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
If you're a developer of the game why even try? Job security is locked down 🤣

Must be nice.

Last edited:

phaedrus

Man...has it been 10 years since I backed this thing just for Squadron 42.
FFS just release that SP portion already so that we can get some closure.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
FYI......this 'game' started crowdfunding and development right after Skyrim came out..........during the PS3 and Xbox 360 era,,,,,,,,,,,

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nobody has a fucking clue what a scam is uh?

You’re 5-15 peoples making a demo for kickstarter

You raise the biggest financing campaign the platform has ever seen

That’s it, that’s the time, the time to run away with the money and split it between yourselves.

But no, you build 7 studios globally, ramp up to a thousand employees, go over bumps on the road like Crytek suing 30 times, go to Amazon lumberyard and then it stops, then continue with your own engine but you need capable peoples to maintain it.

Most studios would have folded like a chair with the above snags. Yet their most successful years in financing and players being online are in the past 3~4 years. Last year alone in funding it was more money than the 2012 & 2013 and part 2014 campaigns.

Elite Dangerous which “released” early is now in shambles with Frontier on the brink of bankruptcy, Braben left CEO position and the engine is so duct taped that to enhance things forward and make their space sim competitive and give what the fans want, they have to start the engine from scratch. It’s dead

I used to laugh at SC funding while Elite Dangerous was released. I backed both back then. SC had feature creep, oh yeah. SC has been mismanaged, for sure. Now, they are progressing rapidly. Something changed over there. They presented the tech and it is being implemented currently.
I tend to think of SC more as a cult than a scam, but here's the other side of it.

People spent $50 or whatever on Kickstarter because it was going to be a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. That was 12 years ago. The spiritual sequel to Wing Commander is not out yet. That is longer than Duke Nukem Forever. It is highly sketchy to change focus and focus on some enigmatic "open galaxy sim" because of some dodgy internet poll after your campaign but that is just what they did. I don't know what you call a Kickstarter that hasn't released after 12 years but "scam" is definitely one of them.

So, twelve years later. We don't have the spiritual sequel to Wing Commander, we don't have the game they promised, we don't even have features they promised years ago, and it all gets pushed back constantly. They just added fauna to the game, right? Well, they started talking about it in 2017:

Seven years for fauna! And as usual the implementation is a small fraction of what they talked about in 2017. Meanwhile people just keep shoveling them money. IT seems obvious that this company has this crazy business model where they wring money from whales by promising features at "CitizenCon" (lol) that are nowhere near release or, really, have no reasonable timetable either. This company is telling you to pay money for features that may or may not be in the game five years later, if they get around to it, meanwhile they take that money and work on other stuff. It, maybe is not an actual scam, but has a ponzi-esque smell about it. Does anyone realistically expect this game to turn into the thing they promised? I doubt it. They're also in this DNF-esque doom loop where they have spent so long on this game they are having to go back and redo assets they already did, and once you get there, it's a really bad place.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I remember when Chris Roberts said "Remember Wing Commander?".

So now we have a fucking pseudo MMO that won't be as good as Freelancer and the single-player part, which was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Wing Commander, and the thing that they've initially build their whole sales pitch on, is now a fucking afterthought?

Great stuff.

Their focus for years now is SQ42. The online part was basically on hold until SQ42 tech was done and now they support the MMO again by implementing tech because the core team is finished with SQ42, that's very recently and 3.23 got a big push with one of the biggest patch SC has seen since its launch.

Funnily enough, since the vast majority of the funding came from the MMO and not the single player campaign, a lot of peoples are actually angry that the focus was on SQ42 and not the online game.

zATJoLh.png

A single year of 2023 funding covers years 2012-13-14-15 and half of 2016. Understandably, the online community is actually more interested and have more leverage than the original backers for SQ42. Yet one is feature complete and likely with a public demo at Citizencon, while the online will hit 1.0 years from now. If you look at reddit sub its filled with peoples who would prefer throwing SQ42 under the bus to accelerate the MMO.

Chris needs another yacht. Keep paying up

Stop it with the shitposts

He rented a fucking 12~17 meters sailboat. Whoopdeedoo. Big fucking controversy. He didn't buy a yacht. You fell for a meme and clickbait journalism circa 2015. The joke is that his famous quote from 2013 "I don't think anyone that crowdfunded the game would be very happy about that either, if I was snapping pictures on the back of a Yacht somewhere", which ended up with that very picture later. Its a meme about Chris saying something and doing the opposite, but no, he did not buy a yacht with crowd funding, FFS peoples.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Doesnt this crowdfunding include Microtransactions? If so, that makes the 700m not seem so high. Fortnite makes that in a month.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Their focus for years now is SQ42. The online part was basically on hold until SQ42 tech was done and now they support the MMO again by implementing tech because the core team is finished with SQ42, that's very recently and 3.23 got a big push with one of the biggest patch SC has seen since its launch.

Funnily enough, since the vast majority of the funding came from the MMO and not the single player campaign, a lot of peoples are actually angry that the focus was on SQ42 and not the onl

Stop it with the shitposts

He rented a fucking 12~17 meters sailboat. Whoopdeedoo. Big fucking controversy. He didn't buy a yacht. You fell for a meme and clickbait journalism circa 2015. The joke is that his famous quote from 2013 "I don't think anyone that crowdfunded the game would be very happy about that either, if I was snapping pictures on the back of a Yacht somewhere", which ended up with that very picture later. Its a meme about Chris saying something and doing the opposite, but no, he did not buy a yacht with crowd funding, FFS peoples.
No. I won't stop. Are you on the payroll? You take this "game" very seriously. Feel free to hit the ignore user button if you can't take the heat.

Buggy Loop

No. I won't stop. Are you on the payroll? You take this "game" very seriously. Feel free to hit the ignore user button if you can't take the heat.

"nO, I WOn'T Stop SHItPosting"

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Well glad that's clear. You're an open book. No I'm not on a payroll, I can discern group thinking MEMEs from facts, apparently you can't.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A single year of 2023 funding covers years 2012-13-14-15 and half of 2016. Understandably, the online community is actually more interested and have more leverage than the original backers for SQ42. Yet one is feature complete and likely with a public demo at Citizencon, while the online will hit 1.0 years from now.
It might be true although for a long while the public announcements were for the MMO tech and you are raising the expectations of the public demo for SQ42.

So far, given that it is essentially a tech preview, one could say that they have not been dragged over the coals for the most minutia / little bug or performance issue. Once they hit “stable” they go live with a product that is fair game and possibly it might be something Roberts wants to post-pone as long as they can to continue development as they are (or maybe not).

Hudo

Gold Member
All I can say is this: Freelancer is one of the best games of all time, imho. And Wing Commander 1, 2 and Prophecy are among the best space games ever made.

And yes, I know, Freelancer started out with this big MMO idea in mind, so what happens with Star Citizen is nothing new for Roberts, it's just that... I am not the target audience (anymore?). If I had my wish, we would've gotten Freelancer 2, basically.

Buggy Loop

I tend to think of SC more as a cult than a scam, but here's the other side of it.

People spent $50 or whatever on Kickstarter because it was going to be a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. That was 12 years ago. The spiritual sequel to Wing Commander is not out yet. That is longer than Duke Nukem Forever. It is highly sketchy to change focus and focus on some enigmatic "open galaxy sim" because of some dodgy internet poll after your campaign but that is just what they did. I don't know what you call a Kickstarter that hasn't released after 12 years but "scam" is definitely one of them.

So, twelve years later. We don't have the spiritual sequel to Wing Commander, we don't have the game they promised, we don't even have features they promised years ago, and it all gets pushed back constantly.

They could have done like Elite Dangerous and say its "released" but then it would have aged badly.

Like I said, many times, you can even dig up on this very forum, their promises of releases was borked. No way in hell. Mismanaged, whatever you want to call it. I'll agree. Had it not been for the online game, I believe the single player campaign would have released a while ago. But it makes no sense to have a huge leap technology wise for the online game and have the single player like 2014 where it was on-rail landing sequences and fake loading with cutscene/whiteout.

Fact is that well damn, it seems making a space game with good tech is a lot more work isn't it?

Let's take an example that was hidden from constant drama because their roadmap was not public :
$400M & 8 years for Starfield from a team that was already in place, with a hierarchy and known inhouse engine with the vast majority of the devs having a decade experience with the inhouse tools. A developer who had huge amounts of money pouring in from Skyrim/Fallout and didn't have to stop doing what they're doing to make marketing campaigns to keep funds in. And look what we got out of that, a fucking fart in the wind full of loading screens.

They just added fauna to the game, right? Well, they started talking about it in 2017:

Seven years for fauna! And as usual the implementation is a small fraction of what they talked about in 2017. Meanwhile people just keep shoveling them money. IT seems obvious that this company has this crazy business model where they wring money from whales by promising features at "CitizenCon" (lol) that are nowhere near release or, really, have no reasonable timetable either. This company is telling you to pay money for features that may or may not be in the game five years later, if they get around to it, meanwhile they take that money and work on other stuff. It, maybe is not an actual scam, but has a ponzi-esque smell about it. Does anyone realistically expect this game to turn into the thing they promised? I doubt it. They're also in this DNF-esque doom loop where they have spent so long on this game they are having to go back and redo assets they already did, and once you get there, it's a really bad place.

I don't give a shit about the past. I've slept on my original whooping $45 backer funding in 2013 until last October. Online peoples were angry at CIG for focusing on SQ42, the PU was basically in a state of minimal support until very recently. You would take a snapshot of 2016 PU and 2023 PU and it's the same renderer, same UI.

As for features, do you think the community does not keep track of it? They're more OCD than EVE online players FFS. As of now, 24 out of the 57 listed features of Citizencon 2023 have been released in 3.23 LIVE, 6 months after the event. A lot more were tested in test servers and coming in 3.23.x. They're on track to have most if not all of the features by Q3 4.0. They came to Citizencon 2023 and said all you see today should be released approximately 1 year from now.

I know its full of missed deadlines in the past. I don't care. Citizencon 2023 was a totally different vibe. They showed the tech and they are delivering, right now.

You can sleep on it in the meantime, nobody is trying to convince anyone to join or pay for the game. You're not satisfied with the $45 2013 funding? Refund! I'm just trying to be impartial to all of it. Dogpiling constantly on the project because of the past is getting tiring.

Also, not you per say but the "they promise .jpg ships!" argument is tiring

star-citizen-completed-ship-list-3-22-1-and-graphs-next-v0-b2v92z38xexc1.png

143 flight ready/drivable. 77.7% delivered. Already outdated list as the Hornet MK2 is in.

With mostly the old guard (2016 and under) ships being capital ships, which make no sense to deliver until server tech (server meshing) makes it possible to have 40+ peoples aboard to run things. Some of them are fine tuned for SQ42 (Idris as an example), and as of the past week, you can visit it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom