• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Ar¢tos

Maybe they should try releasing smaller, actual FUN games to play with lots of replayability, instead of "interactive graphical experiences" that are mostly one-and-done's. Not every game needs to be a multi-million dollar graphical extravaganza's with an interesting story, they just need to be happy insane FUN to play. Motorstorm comes to mind....
Sony seems to be doing the opposite... Any non AAA game has to be GAAS. It's probably the reason why the ended PixelOpus and Japan Studio and put Media Molecule on a last warning.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Personally I'm kinda glad "PS5 has no gamez", because my backlog is ridiculous, and includes both PS4 and PS5 games. I haven't even gotten around to SM2 and AW2 yet. So I'm cool with no major must-haves for a while!

Seriously, there's no way any of you have played everything this console can run that you would be interested in.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Saw some YouTubers spinning this to mean that Sony won't be releasing any first party titles this year.

They either lack intelligence or just want to create drama for clicks. Probably both.

Gambit2483

Sony seems to be doing the opposite... Any non AAA game has to be GAAS. It's probably the reason why the ended PixelOpus and Japan Studio and put Media Molecule on a last warning.
Agreed. More AA, less GAAS.

They can still make great profit by making games with smaller budgets that sell just as well as some AAA games. That's basically Nintendo's go-to for funding their bigger titles...and it works!

BlazinAm

The only thing Sony might do to patch up their release schedule is third party publish. A lot of these Publishers that have been shedding workers and studios as a whole probably will jump at the chance to sell the publishing rights of something internal to shore up some cash.

Perrott

Post-State of Play and even without having the full picture yet (according to Midori, there'll be more first-party titles at SGF), the second half of the year is looking pretty solid and varied:
  • August 23rd: Concord
  • September 6th: Astro Bot
  • October 8th: Silent Hill 2
  • Fall: Until Dawn
  • TBD: Lost Soul Aside
  • Rumored: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn (likely at PS5 Pro launch in November) & LEGO Horizon Adventures
Even without a tentpole, single-player release of the caliber of a God of War or Spider-Man throughout the whole year, this might really go down as PS5's best year yet when also considering everything that released throughout the first half of 2024: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and The Last Of Us Part II Remastered.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Post-State of Play and even without having the full picture yet (according to Midori, there'll be more first-party titles at SGF), the second half of the year is looking pretty solid and varied:
  • Rumored: Horizon: Zero Dawn (likely at PS5 Pro launch in November) & LEGO Horizon Adventures

Sh2 is not first party. Konami are publishing it.

Last edited:

yazenov

Wasn't suggesting that by any means, but since timed console exclusivity was secured for it, SH2 definitely reinforces the PS5 lineup as much as (and arguably more than) any other first-party, just like Rebirth did earlier in the year.
Sh2 is not first party. Konami are publishing it.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if it's 1st party.

Exclusives such as FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and Gran Blue Fantasy: Relink adds value to the PS5, regardless of its 1st party or 3rd party status, as its objective is the same, which is to sell the console.

djjinx2

• Rumored: Horizon: Zero Dawn (likely at PS5 Pro launch in November) & LEGO Horizon Adventures
Even without a tentpole, single-player release of the caliber of a God of War or Spider-Man throughout the whole year, this might really go down as PS5's best year yet when also considering everything that released throughout the first half of 2024: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and The Last Of Us Part II Remastered.
Weak as fuck .
It's like remake city.

Imagine if this was Xbox, would be laughed at and rightly so!

Killjoy-NL

Oh I'm sure it will be a great game. And maybe all of them have some merit alone.

Let's not pretend it's a bumper second half of the year or a good one by any stretch as a whole though.

Sony need to stop with the fucking remakes now too.
Then again, it does seem like the big titles will be dropping this second half of the gen, just like during the PS3 generation.

With GTA VI releasing next year, they have some extra breathing room and then they'll probably release major title after major title, leading into next-gen.

Last edited:

djjinx2

Then again, it does seem like the big titles will be dropping this second half of the gen, just like during the PS3 generation.

With GTA VI releasing next year, they have some extra breathing room and then they'll probably release major title after major title, leading into next-gen.
Just in time for me to jump back in to PlayStation then. Depends what MS do next to be honest.

GTA will be massive especially if Sony do some bundles.

John Wick

I don't think they ever had year this weak, without paid third party "exclusives" it would be even worse.

I don't know if GaaS strategy is causing it or mismanagement or something else but fact is: this looks bad.
Talk about panic. Nothing to play on PS5 for the next year eh?
You don't need first party if 2nd party and 3rd party are covering you.

Melfice7

Phantom Blade Zero seems pretty dope, definitely looks better than Lost Soul Aside. It will 100% be at SGF

I hope Playstation invests in smaller AAA studios, like Shift Up, with Stellar Blade. Playstation gave them the time and funding to make a really good game

that gameplay looks incredibly fake

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
There is barely anything. This year I used PS5 for FFVIIRebirth and Persona 5 Royal - PS4 game. I'm not really interested in SB.

I will play it again when DLC for ER hits. Sony output is shit (in terms of number of games) this gen.
What games do you want to play? Not trying to be an ass, just curious about the types of games you wish were available on PS5 right now.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Playstation only looks good compared to XBOX

In a bubble or compared to older PS generation systems the output is pretty bad

PS3's 2009 output by itself and the entire PS5 generation are like neck and neck

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I cannot wrap my head around the idea of being excited for what Sony is going to announce, and being upset over their lack of announcements.

Sony Studios is "good" if you write off 99% of all games that release, and keep your head in the sand. I'm just now realizing how many filthy casuals post here.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Personally I'm kinda glad "PS5 has no gamez", because my backlog is ridiculous, and includes both PS4 and PS5 games. I haven't even gotten around to SM2 and AW2 yet. So I'm cool with no major must-haves for a while!

Seriously, there's no way any of you have played everything this console can run that you would be interested in.
You will never play those games.

I still have a sealed copy of Prince Of Persia Sands of Time for the original Xbox.

Woopah

PS3's 2009 output by itself and the entire PS5 generation are like neck and neck
They had a bad 2023 but I'd say their 2024 looks good, with a nice variety of IP amd genres.

I disagree in 2009 I was waiting for games to come out. Right now I don't have time to play all these games. I just finished SM2 last week. Working on Persona 3 right now. After that who knows I still have the last two Yakuza games I need to catch up on. Haven't played Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, or Granblue Fantasy. Trails through daybreak in July, and Shin magi game coming out soon. Still have to play Ryza 2 and 3. Elden Ring DLC coming out soon. Jedi Survivor still haven't played. Dragons Dogma 2. I'm sure I'm missing some games but I have a list at home because it was becoming to much to remember.

Eiknarf

"Existing franchise"....this means we aren't getting sequels. Wasn't everyone saying they are getting tired of remasters and sequels from Sony? What's the problem here?
That’s what I was thinking.

But what guaranteed new IPs are on the way?

I literally keep seeing these compilation videos on YouTube where games like…
ILL
Wronged Us
Tenet of the Spark
Rooted
Project M
Project TH
The Grass of Genesis (some Asian Tomb Raider-like game)
Enenra
Blight Survival
etc etc etc

… are on the way.

When are these games coming?
This PS5 gen just technically started in 2024. Ain’t no way they’re rushing out a PS6

I feel like I'm from an alternate universe, the Helldivers 2/Rise of the Ronin/Stellar Blade/Astro Bot year is worse than the Horizon VR/Firewall Ultra/Spider-Man 2 one?
I really don't get it either. Not to say it's been a perfect year for Sony or their best, but these first 6 months, they've essentially had an exclusive game each month, and of different variety. Most of the summer looks quiet but then it's concord, Astro Bot to SH2. Again, not an insane year by any stretch but people act like there has been nothing on the system all year.

Oddly enough, the way people talk about PlayStation is how I feel about my switch. That thing just collects dust for me. Haven't had a reason to turn it on since ToTK and I don't see anything soon that's gonna make me do so. Probably not until switch 2 which really sucks 😔

Bojji

What games do you want to play? Not trying to be an ass, just curious about the types of games you wish were available on PS5 right now.

I don't know, games that always brought people to PlayStation?

Their best studio (ND) is making fucking remakes for 4 years now.

Sucker punch have nothing to show after 4 years (we know it will be GoT sequel)

Bend? We don't know that they are making...

GG and SSM are excused because they actually deliverer games recently. Insomniac is making many games but personally I don't like SM that much (it's like 6/10).

We don't even know if any of them will release big game in 2025 or even further down the line. We know for sure they Sony is chasing that GaaS bullshit...

I know that games take longer to develop but they should prepare for that, make their studios bigger - make two games at the same time or something (or buy more studios). They are not doing much and PS5 is still very successful so why they should give a fuck? Especially when MS is so fucking incompetent as their rival.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Do remasters fall under this same announcement? Because they are going to have to have some big title to showcase and sell the system. Could Bloodborne Remaster be in the cards?

DarthPutin

I disagree in 2009 I was waiting for games to come out. Right now I don't have time to play all these games. I just finished SM2 last week. Working on Persona 3 right now. After that who knows I still have the last two Yakuza games I need to catch up on. Haven't played Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, or Granblue Fantasy. Trails through daybreak in July, and Shin magi game coming out soon. Still have to play Ryza 2 and 3. Elden Ring DLC coming out soon. Jedi Survivor still haven't played. Dragons Dogma 2. I'm sure I'm missing some games but I have a list at home because it was becoming to much to remember.
We don't play games here. Heretic! We play presentations and hype.

RickMasters

Jokes aside, if xbox puts all their shit on playstation starting tomorrow, will this even matter?
That’s what’s Fucked yo for MS…… if they played a better hand they would be slapping the shit out of a Sony as far as first party output.

But yeah it don’t matter now because even sony fans will be spending more time on Xbox games on PlayStation than they do Playstation games on PlayStation….crazy times indeed! 😅😅

Woopah

I really don't get it either. Not to say it's been a perfect year for Sony or their best, but these first 6 months, they've essentially had an exclusive game each month, and of different variety. Most of the summer looks quiet but then it's concord, Astro Bot to SH2. Again, not an insane year by any stretch but people act like there has been nothing on the system all year.

Oddly enough, the way people talk about PlayStation is how I feel about my switch. That thing just collects dust for me. Haven't had a reason to turn it on since ToTK and I don't see anything soon that's gonna make me do so. Probably not until switch 2 which really sucks 😔
Switch lineup was strong in 2022 and 2023, but most would agree that H1 2024 has been weak. I don't think it will be great until Switch 2 comes next year, but hopefully H2 2024 is a step up.
I know that games take longer to develop but they should prepare for that, make their studios bigger - make two games at the same time or something (or buy more studios). They are not doing much and PS5 is still very successful so why they should give a fuck? Especially when MS is so fucking incompetent as their rival.
They did do something about it. They diversified their lineup by acquiring some GAAS studios and then strengthened their single player lineup by making partnerships with several Asian developers.

SonGoku

“Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games,

triggered.png

Every time I read this crap a vein pops in my forehead

Perrott

Do remasters fall under this same announcement? Because they are going to have to have some big title to showcase and sell the system. Could Bloodborne Remaster be in the cards?
They're only talking about original entries in major franchises that usually get to 10M units sold within months, as was the case for Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2.

So any remasters, remakes or sequels that wouldn't normally carry those sales expectations are definitely on the table - even within major franchises, as they don't expect the Horizon: Zero Dawn remake or the series' LEGO game to be as massively successful as, say, the upcoming third mainline Horizon game.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They're only talking about original entries in major franchises that usually get to 10M units sold within months, as was the case for Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2.

So any remasters, remakes or sequels that wouldn't normally carry those sales expectations are definitely on the table - even within major franchises, as they don't expect the Horizon: Zero Dawn remake or the series' LEGO game to be as massively successful as, say, the upcoming third mainline Horizon game.
Gotcha just dont know what they will / can launch with the PRO to sell it. Unless they have all the previous games from PS5 getting automatic Boosts. They still need a system seller to show off the upgrades not just 60 FPS patches

Top Bottom