• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 Demand Will Outstrip Supply Into the Summer

Freeman

Banned
I'm not in the US so I don't know, but going by Amazon they either increased supply considerably or demand has been reduced significantly.

Con_Smith

Banned
I'll actually be pretty surprised if XB outsells PS4 this month. Titan fall will probably be a big seller though but I doubt it by itself will be bigger than Metal Gear and Infamous together. Just off install base I think it will be close as the thirst for all the people already with the system might push Infamous ahead.

I just have a problem seeing every person with a Bone picking up Titan fall. Not everybody is interested in an online only fps, and I've seen more people come in my store and dismiss the game in favour of preordering Watch Dogs. I also have had problems finding this 4 mill number people have been throwing around, although by the end of March I'm sure the bone will be there, but even with that being the case I've seen the Infamous bundle trounce Titan fall and if that truely becomes the case I don't think Titan fall will be the be all some think it is come npd time. Regardless I'm glad Sony is being rewarded for their efforts and hope this makes Microsoft take a real hard look at how they play the game and make some changes to how they operate. I know some people love their console regardless but they have a long way to go to change hardcore gamers minds and change their perception on the casual front.

Megatron

I think it may be best for gamers if Microsoft wins the month. If Sony wins despite Microsoft having their biggest game, possibly of the year, and including it free with the system, then that may just send the message to them that first place is out of the question and to just be happy with second place. Wheras if they get a taste of victory they may keep pushing things in the later months. The consumer wins when the market is more competitive.

I think it may be best for gamers if Microsoft wins the month. If Sony wins despite Microsoft having their biggest game, possibly of the year, and including it free with the system, then that may just send the message to them that first place is out of the question and to just be happy with second place. Wheras if they get a taste of victory they may keep pushing things in the later months. The consumer wins when the market is more competitive.

Nah. Best system wins March

orochi91

I'm kinda hoping for one of the consoles to be a runaway success, like the PS2 was with a SIGNIFICANT market share. That way I believe developers will focus on that one console, pushing it and taking risks with IPs (innovate). The level of diversity with regards to games library on the PS2 was legendary. Seems better than burning resources trying to get games to run well on multiple platforms instead of a single dominant one.

We got a lot of stocks here, come get em!
Scene from my local game store.

1070010_10152132465940914_60520054_n.jpg

1932245_10152127579025914_903787415_n.jpg

#PS4LIFE

I'm more interested in what may go down at E3 to really be all that concerned about who "wins" March.

Mrbob

Pretty much, next NPD will be interesting seeing Titanfall not move much.

It is tough to say what impact TitanFall has had. It has been un-MS-like being so eerily quiet about TF sales. To me this either signals the game has under performed, or it has over performed and MS doesn't want to tip off Sony. I'm surprised we have had no PR at all from MS regarding TitanFall. They love making public boastful statements.

Games Hideout Malaysia, mate :)

Fellow GAFers, is it alright if I post FB link here?

Does Malaysian stock move fast?

I bought it day one, but Malaysia is a pretty enthusiasts driven market... and RM 1799 is a ripoff of a price.

PS it's not hard to find a PS4 locally here. Practically any game store will have a unit or two, but our markets are slow burners.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Really??? Pretty amazing when there are so few must have games for it out there. I myself will wait till that AAA must play game. Sf5, Dark Souls 3... I can only dream ;)!

_hekk05

Banned
We got a lot of stocks here, come get em!
Scene from my local game store.

1070010_10152132465940914_60520054_n.jpg

1932245_10152127579025914_903787415_n.jpg

#PS4LIFE

I shud have jumped on a blue controller when it was available. Its been out of stock for almost an entire month now

I bought it day one, but Malaysia is a pretty enthusiasts driven market... and RM 1799 is a ripoff of a price.

PS it's not hard to find a PS4 locally here. Practically any game store will have a unit or two, but our markets are slow burners.

Loads of malaysians, especially in Johor, imported from Singapore. You literally drive through a bridge, buy a console, then drive back out. Cheaper by like 20 usd

Read

So all I'm saying is, while that may be true, if someone wanted to they could get one right now on Amazon
Since the 16th and the 2 day processing time. Amazon has been doing something to their PS4 page where it has always showed stock since. Nowinstock even remove it the other day when I checked

modsbox

Just a bit of a theory on the consistent Amazon availability. It makes a ton of sense for Sony to just ship oodles of them to Amazon, they're faster and better at distributing items across the US than any traditional retailer. If they're going to pick one place to literally send as much stock as they ask for, it's Amazon; all sold through rapidly, none sitting on shelves.

I can only imagine Microsoft being like 'this is great, we're available at like every retailer now and PS4 isn't, no way Sony can outsell us this month,' all the while Sony is sending boatloads directly to just one retailer (Amazon) and selling at a higher rate.

The Xbox beat the PS4 last week despite a supply boost for the latter, if I recall correctly. Clearly the XB1 is going to see a similar surge in America. I don't know of XB1 will outsell the PS4 in the March NPD, but I think it will at least be a lot closer than some people expect.

Are you sure about that? Did we ever get numbers? Xbone got a higher percentage boost, but from what? PS4 could have easily beat it.

It is tough to say what impact TitanFall has had. It has been un-MS-like being so eerily quiet about TF sales. To me this either signals the game has under performed, or it has over performed and MS doesn't want to tip off Sony. I'm surprised we have had no PR at all from MS regarding TitanFall. They love making public boastful statements.

If you believe companies play these games, I would say Sony's statement here, saying they can't get enough stock to meet demand, is more believable as the double bluff for March NPD?!

TS-08

Are you sure about that? Did we ever get numbers? Xbone got a higher percentage boost, but from what? PS4 could have easily beat it.

You should have kept reading. The source of that info was posted not too long after my reply. But no we don't have exact numbers.

Sami+

Nah, what'd be best for gamers would be them making a better console next time. :p

Just a bit of a theory on the consistent Amazon availability. It makes a ton of sense for Sony to just ship oodles of them to Amazon, they're faster and better at distributing items across the US than any traditional retailer. If they're going to pick one place to literally send as much stock as they ask for, it's Amazon; all sold through rapidly, none sitting on shelves.

I can only imagine Microsoft being like 'this is great, we're available at like every retailer now and PS4 isn't, no way Sony can outsell us this month,' all the while Sony is sending boatloads directly to just one retailer (Amazon) and selling at a higher rate.
It isn't just Amazon. There have been lots of reports of stock at Gamestop and Best Buy. I expect that Sony has sent most of this month's stock to the US to be competitive in March NPD. Europe getting more next month seems likely to me.

MS came to market willingly with a $499 box versus a $399 box when 90 - 95% of the games on each system are shared [multiplatform games] combined with having weaker hardware [only matters to the core though] MS came into this gen accepting 2nd place willingly

What they might not be willing to accept is a 2nd place as distant as the OG Xbox but I think they'll have no trouble hitting 40 - 60 million this gen

Mrbob

If you believe companies play these games, I would say Sony's statement here, saying they can't get enough stock to meet demand, is more believable as the double bluff for March NPD?!

I honestly have no idea. Trying to rationalize why MS has been so quiet. They always shout from the mountain tops with sales data from their mega hyped games.

Mrbob

It's possible. If these bundles were moving at the pace MS wanted why did Tiger Direct sell the TF bundle for 449 from their ebay store.

Though this sort of contradicts the UK sales data where the first week sales is looking extremely solid. Perhaps the second week drop off is bigger than anticipated?

You can find PS4s easily on the internet. For example, Best Buy has them right now.

And yes, PS4's are supply constrained throughout the world, but clearly stock is catching up to demand. This summer projection seems overly optimistic to me.

Biker19

Banned

I honestly have no idea. Trying to rationalize why MS has been so quiet. They always shout from the mountain tops with sales data from their mega hyped games.

No doubt. They were mostly counting on TitanFall moving a ton of Xbox One consoles. 10 days have now passed since the game came out, & we haven't heard a peep from either Microsoft or EA about the sales.

It should tell you all that you need to know.

Jabba

Banned
Someone with shop skills, could make a hilarious gif of discovering the ps4 in the wild. Like the discovery of the brachiosaur herds in Jurrasic Park. Everywhere they go, some XB1s. They go through the trees and then it happens.

quetz67

Banned
Please stop that competition is good nonsense. Yeah it is good to a certain degree, but if the better system wins, that's the obviously right thing. Do we really need to have companies go into next gen thinking: "No need to make the best system, people will buy it anyway just so there is competition".

Maybe arrogant Sony will then be back next gen, but if MS get their ass handed, they might oberthink their strategy next gen.

We were sold out nationwide during the initial release day! Now, things are slowing down though... Most of the people here are deep into downloading games illegally through PC. That's one of the reason why I don't support PC gaming completely. I tried my best at spreading the words about the PS4 to other people and safe to say most, if not all my buddies had gone with/are going with the PS4 :)

I shud have jumped on a blue controller when it was available. Its been out of stock for almost an entire month now

Loads of malaysians, especially in Johor, imported from Singapore. You literally drive through a bridge, buy a console, then drive back out. Cheaper by like 20 usd

Not the KL people lol, we don't do that. The mileage cost itself can't even justify going there in order to save USD20...

Blue DS4 is freaking sweet!

Pop

Now why is it that Microsoft needs to win or that somehow people keep spewing this competitive nonsense. Sony did quite fine with Ps2 days and there's plenty of examples outside of gaming where competitive nature doesn't matter. Microsoft has made TitanFall what it is, they're the ones who hype it has the greatest new game of this year. Is it true, well no. That is all opinion and comes down to the individual. At this point can you blame the market for Xbox brand to be in second after what occurred last year. They did this to themselves. I suspect if TitanFall was doing extremely well we would have already had numbers on it. Now selling a Million is quite good for a new ip except this is Microsoft big gun. They would probably be wanting more. It only took 3 days for people to lose interest when looking at TitanFall on Twitch. Dark Souls II has been constantly whooping it's ass since then.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt. They were mostly counting on TitanFall moving a ton of Xbox One consoles. 10 days have now passed since the game came out, & we haven't heard a peep from either Microsoft or EA about the sales.

It should tell you all that you need to know.

And also, the Titanfall bundle is in stock almost everywhere online ...

coldone

It will be best, if Titanfall is not enough to save Xbox one. Then MS will get their act in order, release a $399 SKU before it becomes too late.

Especially if they try to ride this holiday season with a $499... console. Sales of games will be terrible.

We were sold out nationwide during the initial release day! Now, things are slowing down though... Most of the people here are deep into downloading games illegally through PC. That's one of the reason why I don't support PC gaming completely. I tried my best at spreading the words about the PS4 to other people and safe to say most, if not all my buddies had gone with/are going with the PS4 :)

I believe that Ps+ was created partly in mind of gaming communities like ours, which is probably 95% piracy.

madmackem

It's possible. If these bundles were moving at the pace MS wanted why did Tiger Direct sell the TF bundle for 449 from their ebay store.

Though this sort of contradicts the UK sales data where the first week sales is looking extremely solid. Perhaps the second week drop off is bigger than anticipated?

Again that 96% bump means nothing without numbers, could've sold badly the week before meaning a 96% bump of a poor number. Ps4 is hard to get still here, if sony had produced more consoles it could've added massively to the current sold number.

Still impossible to find in Canada since fucking February.

All we have are empty display boxes in Canada. Such a tease.

I haven't actually seen a box with an actual unit inside.

seriously, this. There are people still waiting and hoping their local retailer get new stock.

Lol ! If they sell 20 million PS4's in the first year it will be an incredible success for Sony. They deserve it after listening to customers / devs about the problems PS3 had.

Dolls_Laughing.gif

*sigh* This whole "Competition is best for us!" myth needs to end.

SMFH. It's getting tiresome.

Competition has benefits, but the onus is really on inferior products overdelivering rather than parity.

UE4 and CRYEngine didn't happen because of parity, but because Unity is on a trajectory to be the PS2 equivalent of game engine domination.

Cyborg

I don't doubt this at all. My area's been pretty well stocked, but the demand is still up there. I'm impressed.

Same here........
Im in Holland and there is no PS4 to be found. XboxOne on the other hand? Well its not officialy launched here so some retailers imported it from Germany but it doesnt selle.

Top Bottom