• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 Demand Will Outstrip Supply Into the Summer

Bundy

Banned
We got a lot of stocks here, come get em!
Scene from my local game store.

1070010_10152132465940914_60520054_n.jpg

1932245_10152127579025914_903787415_n.jpg

#PS4LIFE

Wooooooooooooot! Where are you from? Where? :O

btw.
I hope Amir0x isn't perm'd :/

Wooooooooooooot! Where are you from? Where? :O

btw.
I hope Amir0x isn't perm'd :/

Malaysia, the land that will not an official Xbox One release this year because we're supposedly made up of pirate scum who will never pay more than $3 for a game.

/joke and truths

Yoda

I imagine they are going to bombard the media with a huge PR dump when the March NDP are revealed. Here's how I feel the future months will play out:

Xbox One wins march NDP, coupled with Titanfall outselling Infamous with regards to next-gen console exclusives (it already scored better critically). Then they will announce something for April to keep the momentum going right until E3, where they drop megatons after megatons. Sales skyrocket in the following months leading upto the holiday season, after which they garner an overwhelming lead in both the US and UK over the PS4 for the remainder of the gen.

I'm feeling prophetic.

If it exceeded sales expectations they would have announced it. I'm sure it sold well and they will get a decent boost in march in U.S. sales but the rest of your post sounds like a fairy-tale. What will the announce in April that equates to Titanfall from March? What about May?

NPD will come out, +100k boost to X1, with most of Titanfall's sales coming from people who already purchased the console in anticipation. I imagine they won't release the bundle only sales.

Malaysia, the land that will not an official Xbox One release this year because we're supposedly made up of pirate scum who will never pay more than $3 for a game.

/joke and truths

I don't really care about the Xbone and neither are my buddies. So that news, is kinda like a hit and burn for us.

I don't really care about the Xbone and neither are my buddies. So that news, is kinda like a hit and burn for us.

It's not hard to find an Xbox One anyway.. I think I saw like 3 Titanfall bundles last week.

I just think it's sad that global companies look at SEA and treat it as "Singapore, nowhere else exist."

kartu

Banned
On amazon.de PS4 is available for 20% premium, straight from scalpers.

/joke and truths

What is the average income there?

Take us to the promised land of Malaysia where we can find stacks of PS4's for everyone. Unlike New zealand where the false prophet Oconomoyaki said we would find stack and stacks of PS4's.

Kalamoj

Don't forget about mainland europe, Sony.

Second hand PS4's go for €500+ at the moment, it's crazy.

Take a trip to Hungary. Booze is cheap, the weather is awsome and you can buy a new PS4 for €410. AFAIK sony warranty applies to the whole continent.

FeiRR

Banned
I'm not surprised about Malaysia. As I posted yesterday, it's not a problem to find a PS4 now in Poland. You will probably find PS4 everywhere around the world where it's officially launched but the price is just too much for an average consumer to swallow. Dedicated gamers are a relatively small group, the mass market will wait for a much lower price and a lot more games.

Western Europe GAF wanting to buy a PS4, you need to go on a shopping trip. European warranty should have you covered everywhere.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lol ! If they sell 20 million PS4's in the first year it will be an incredible success for Sony. They deserve it after listening to customers / devs about the problems PS3 had.

It will be "incredible success" if they manage 15. But I don't think they will manage even that with the dry summer. Lets wait and see game lineup for the fall.

I think it may be best for gamers if Microsoft wins the month. If Sony wins despite Microsoft having their biggest game, possibly of the year, and including it free with the system, then that may just send the message to them that first place is out of the question and to just be happy with second place. Wheras if they get a taste of victory they may keep pushing things in the later months. The consumer wins when the market is more competitive.
It may be best for them to fall flat on their fucking face this generation to teach everybody including Sony and Nintendo a lesson that a weaker $499 console with an accessory nobody fucking wants is never a good idea. This is also the only real way to make sure that the right people is in charge of the xbone.

SmoothCB

wj7phfkl.jpg

Snapped this shot in Beijing the other day. It was the same at the other 10 stores in Gulou area.

I guess we know where all the Japanese PS4's are going!

Cheeky

I have only seen one PS4 in the wild and i tried to buy it, but i ended up selling the privilege to buy it to some desperate parent who offered to give me 50 bucks to buy it(I didnt purchase it yet, i was moving towards the cashier)

Never seen an Xbone yet though, that feel when second tier country(Netherlands).

PJV3

wj7phfkl.jpg

Snapped this shot in Beijing the other day. It was the same at the other 10 stores in Gulou area.

I guess we know where all the Japanese PS4's are going!

What's in the white boxes?, the bottom ones are half the size of the top ones.
I'm on my phone so I cant read the box to tell what it is. PS4 something pack?

Stampy

Take a trip to Hungary. Booze is cheap, the weather is awsome and you can buy a new PS4 for €410. AFAIK sony warranty applies to the whole continent.

Give me more details (where exactley can you buy them)? I planned to visit Budapest anyway.

MAD Polo

Neo Member
They are still fairly hard to come by locally here in my part of Florida. When I finally decided to grab one, it took me a good two weeks before I was able to get it locally and when I did, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I've enjoyed every minute of it since though. I was a PS360 owner last generation, but I admit that I bought and played almost all games on the 360, except for the few PS3 exclusives. Those roles will probably be reversed this go around. All of my pre-orders are now for the PS4 versions of games, leaving the One for exclusives and the few MP games the bulk of my friends on One decide to buy.

My how times change.

TS-08

It's possible. If these bundles were moving at the pace MS wanted why did Tiger Direct sell the TF bundle for 449 from their ebay store.

Though this sort of contradicts the UK sales data where the first week sales is looking extremely solid. Perhaps the second week drop off is bigger than anticipated?

Now they are $449 at Wal-Mart too, according to their website. Seems obvious to state that bundles that are already a good deal don't get significant price cuts 10 days or less after release if they are selling well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wonder what prevents them from opening more production lines for a few months. I am not familiar with the logistics behind that. Are contracts with suppliers not flexible enough? Or are there just not enough production capacities on parts like the 4Gb GDDR5 chips from Samsung? Are short-term reservations of production capacities impossible or just more expensive than "normal" reservations?

If they only estimate supply to be low for a few months, probably better to leave things alone, let supply build up over the quieter summer, and start to stockpile for fall/winter.

If their projections show them anticipating a big uptick in the fall, then it think you'd look at opening more lines - you wouldn't want to lose those prospective customers

BigDug13

Sony's lying, demand for their product doesn't outstrip supply. Just take a holiday to Poland/Thailand if you want one.

If every PS4 console was in a central location, not shipped to any nation, and the product didn't ship to any nation until a consumer made the purchase, every PS4 they produce would be gone.

Yeah a couple countries don't have demand outstripping supply since we live in a ship-to-retailer-and-hope-it-sells retail supply structure, and I'm sure future supply to those countries has been diverted to the many other places displaying huge thirst of demand.

andycapps

I actually saw an employee selling one to a customer today at a Best Buy when I picked up Infamous. That's the first time I've seen one in a store here, obviously some stores have them so YMMV. Homemade sign up said they have limited stock available and to ask an employee. US GAF here.

this is bad, I just went to walmart this week to buy MGSGZ and they still didn't have any PS4's.

They are handing sales to Microsoft

Canada is apparently not one of Sony's priorities right now. Sucks though

I see them everywhere not sure what regions are the ones with lack of PS4

Canada, UK, Germany, Certain areas of the US and so on

It's not sold out, but supply constrained. Consumers will look for PS4's on shelves at retail stores most often to buy consoles. It's still inconsistent to see them on shelves in the US

Where are you located anyways?

phanphare

Banned
I frequently see PS4s at the wal-mart closest to me. I live in Charlotte, NC but I'm really out in Stallings, NC so maybe that's why. I've been there a few times in the last couple of months and they always have two or three consoles. I almost bought one too.....but money an shit

Edmonton, Canada here. Was at Gamestop (one of the busiest ones in the city) for the Infamous midnight launch last night, and they said they haven't recieved PS4 systems in over a month and a half.

So yeah...supply issues.

It will be "incredible success" if they manage 15. But I don't think they will manage even that with the dry summer. Lets wait and see game lineup for the fall.
I expect 12 to 15 million by the end of 2014. Demand will slow eventually and they can only produce so many units anyway.

Relevant for fellow Canadians, PS Canada just tweeted this:

Xlve4CE.png

PS Canada stop trolling. 3 new PS4's in the whole of Canada is not worth a tweet
/s

Hopefully some of those lesser stocked countries with demand can get stocked properly going forward

This will be the ultimate test because PS4 has been out of stock since forever in Canada, and also they increased the price to $450 so let's see how well it sells compared to XBO.

Do we ever get numbers from Canada though?

SRG01

Edmonton, Canada here. Was at Gamestop (one of the busiest ones in the city) for the Infamous midnight launch last night, and they said they haven't recieved PS4 systems in over a month and a half.

So yeah...supply issues.

West end or south side? I live in Edmonton and have been looking for a PS4 as well...

Top Bottom