• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing I was in the middle of the Lost series marathon before I got a glimpse of this "reveal". Graphically, it delivered (aside from the stream lag issues), but the bog-standard moment-to-moment gameplay has pared back to the point the game demands that you use your weapon their to complete an objective. That right here - is complete bullshit and why the disparancy between game graphics and design are getting wider and wider.

I really had hopes for RaD but all I see in this video is nothing I can't be missing from just by watching a Let's Play. I really wanted to reserve a PS4 for this title but that video pretty much laid the groundwork to how the game is going to be. And no.... I'm not going to be passive and justify the entire experience based on which set-piece they "dial-up-to-11" to one-up the Uncharted's and COD's before to justify this purchase.

As for now, no sale from me. I would have to wait for the reviews and impressions to see if I'm wrong about this assumption. So far, I highly highly doubt the game would expand their depth than what we have seen as of late.

I know right. I for one think these 10 minutes of gameplay from an 8-10 hour adventure encompasses the entire project. Hell I wouldn't doubt if the other 590 minutes of the game are just these 10 minutes we have seen on a loop. I mean, why even build the rest of the game! There is no chance you have anything else in the game.

The Order 1886 |OT| Stay Away From Threads About This Game

No way! This is stuff of legend.

Kinsei

Banned
That was underwhelming. I'm not including the technical errors which I assume are part of the stream, but the gameplay seems mediocre. I mean obviously I can't base my opinion on 3 minutes of footage, but it sure killed my hype for the game going into E3. I was super pumped for the inevitable stage demo at E3, but now I don't really care if it's shown on stage or not.

Hoje0308

Banned
wow this thread is hilarious, love reading some of the comments on here. Sony should of released a high def version

Releasing HD clips has been done to death. Sony needs to move away from such generic media.

I hadn't used the word "generic" yet.

nib95

Banned
I know right. I for one think these 10 minutes of gameplay from an 8-10 hour adventure encompasses the entire project. Hell I wouldn't doubt if the other 590 minutes of the game are just these 10 minutes we have seen on a loop. I mean, why even build the rest of the game! There is no chance you have anything else in the game.

Lol.

1091.gif

Eusis

I may end up liking the game when it's out and I actually play it, but while the game looked really nice that gameplay footage left me cold. Another typical looking TPS, it's not even that I dislike this kind of game entirely as that I'm starting to get kind of sick of how often this is what gets made, or what other games get hammered into if they're not FPSes.

I guess then the question is "what else could they have done with it", and an RPG is an obvious one to me, but otherwise... I dunno. At least it's trying with the setting even if out of context one could assume this was just Sony's Gears clone.

It's weird how Sony and RAD keep accidentally releasing these clips and pictures and interviews and articles that apparently don't represent the major video game release they're going to be selling on stores at the end of this year.

It must be a set of wacky mix ups behind the scenes.

The problem with the word "generic" is that it has no place on an enthusiast board like NeoGAF.

There's a bloody "obscure screenshot" thread on here with people recognising games from a single image taken specifically to deceive. Games are not "generic" to enthusiasts. It's used as a deliberate "cuss" word to evoke a reaction.

Samyy

I may end up liking the game when it's out and I actually play it, but while the game looked really nice that gameplay footage left me cold. Another typical looking TPS, it's not even that I dislike this kind of game entirely as that I'm starting to get kind of sick of how often this is what gets made, or what other games get hammered into if they're not FPSes.

I guess then the question is "what else could they have done with it", and an RPG is an obvious one to me, but otherwise... I dunno. At least it's trying with the setting even if out of context one could assume this was just Sony's Gears clone.

The only thing similar about the games are that they are both TPS?
How the fuck are they clones?

Is every goddamn TPS a Gears clone?

If this was a game full of meatheads dropping on some alien planets fighting some kind of alien monster yea I could see why you would call that a clone? But its not. Its a alternate reality steam punk London where a secret society/order of Knights are fighting some kind of enemy, human or otherwise.

Please explain to me your definition of clone.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird how Sony and RAD keep accidentally releasing these clips and pictures and interviews and articles that apparently don't represent the major video game release they're going to be selling on stores at the end of this year.

It's not weird if it's a 2015, am I right?!

Jesb

Mr. Ed's Member
The game looks nice but I'm still not sold on it yet. For a game that they have been working on since leaving handhelds expectations are high. I'm getting a gears meets resistance vibe with this game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

They're showing what they want the viewers to see the game as. I like your implying it's doubtful this is a mix. It's question of whether what they're not showing is as different to generic tps as some believe it to be.

But it's impossible RAD doesn't know the reaction to this game from many members of this forums and are continuing to display it like this.

Eusis

The only thing similar about the games are that they are both TPS?
How the fuck are they clones?

Is every goddamn TPS a Gears clone?
I was saying out of context for a reason. More specifically, the second Youtube link, with the grey, dilapidated buildings all around and reliance on cover shooting and following objectives. I would hope that the rest of the game doesn't look like that of course, and even in that video once you get to the end and a cinematic starts playing it shows that stylistically it's significantly different.

EDIT: Basically I meant if you knew nothing at all but knew about Gears you could make a snap judgement based on that second Youtube video. Whether that snap judgement is actually correct or not is another story.

You're WRONG!! ... it's been delayed to next year, didn't you see the tweet?

Samyy

I was saying out of context for a reason. More specifically, the second Youtube link, with the grey, dilapidated buildings all around. I would hope that the rest of the game doesn't look like that of course.

Even out of context
I don't see the comparison

Its not an accident. They are just jerks and want people talking crap about their game so when people finally play it and see how amazing it is they can laugh over a cigar and sip a bottle of $10 000 dollar scotch in a hot tub while the positive word of mouth spreads like a wildfire through the gaming community.

spwolf

wouldnt it be just another rpg then, just in different setting?

The funny part is, you were being VERY generous with the 10 minutes. Between the 2 trailers is really at about 5, with like 2/3 of those mins being cutscenes.

On Demand

Banned

Whatever they're doing it's clearly working.

Lemondish

It's a good thing I was in the middle of the Lost series marathon before I got a glimpse of this "reveal". Graphically, it delivered (aside from the stream lag issues), but the bog-standard moment-to-moment gameplay has pared back to the point the game demands that you use your weapon their to complete an objective. That right here - is complete bullshit and why the disparancy between game graphics and design are getting wider and wider.

I really had hopes for RaD but all I see in this video is nothing I can't be missing from just by watching a Let's Play. I really wanted to reserve a PS4 for this title but that video pretty much laid the groundwork to how the game is going to be. And no.... I'm not going to be passive and justify the entire experience based on which set-piece they "dial-up-to-11" to one-up the Uncharted's and COD's before to justify this purchase.

As for now, no sale from me. I would have to wait for the reviews and impressions to see if I'm wrong about this assumption. So far, I highly highly doubt the game would expand their depth than what we have seen as of late.

I have no idea what you're on about. Did you ever play RaD's previous games? They required you to use weapons too to complete objectives.

This needs to stop, folks. Stop expecting every single game to bring forth new, never before seen innovative concepts that blow your mind. That can't happen all the time. In fact, it doesn't need to. There can still be titles that take a tried and true formula and improve upon it in whatever way the developers see fit. Perhaps its not for you. That sucks, but maybe it doesn't need to be. Maybe there are simply some games that don't appeal to you, and that's okay. You don't have to like this game. That's fine. What isn't fine is people clogging up threads talking about how much they'd prefer if this well understood title were something completely different than what we already know it is.

Some of us - I dare say most of us - are perfectly fine with a third person shooter that requires you to shoot things. We enjoy action set pieces. If that makes me a pariah on NeoGAF then so be it.

They released a picture of The Last of Us Remastered with Ellie and Joel looking at Giraffes. I mean what is TLOU, a Zoo Simulator?

Eusis

Even out of context
I don't see the comparison
Well, I was saying "one could assume" for a reason too, and saying that someone could think that with a snap judgement. But then you could make all sorts of poor judgements like that so whatever, I would expect the core gameplay to be more similar than dissimilar but we'll see how that goes, and so long as the mechanics are good that's not inherently a bad thing anyway.
wouldnt it be just another rpg then, just in different setting?
Whether due to the nature of RPGs or just having that large of an umbrella (a bit of both I think) they can be very broad, or at least they're not quite stuck in the same situation as TPSes and FPSes currently are. This may not be helped by the fact many of those that break away the most in the SP area ARE generally RPGs or RPG-esque, like Deus Ex or Mass Effect, ergo the large umbrella part of what I said.

RayMaker

Banned
Still hoping for something as open and alive as this to be in the actual game.

The_Order_1886_Concept_Art_01.jpg

If the E3 demo opens with a scene like this and then proceeds to have the werewolf monsters crash in, climbing on the sides of buildings etc. I think much would be forgiven...

Yes, would definitely help with immersion. The areas we have seen so far do look rather small.

Have I missed a tweet? Could you link me please.

From the other thread, I'm pretty sure it's the guy with the Seinfeld character, Shinobi?, tweeted he had heard something, then a pile of people acted like they had sources too, and by the end people were acting like it was confirmed.

It hasn't been confirmed in a tweet.

On Demand

Banned
Only if you think any attention is better than no attention. :p

Indeed.

Holy crap you guys have written a ton. Still going through all of the comments here.

Regardless of good, bad, or everything else comments, I'm just glad to see people talking about our game again. I know it's generic for me to say "stay tuned for more information in the future...", but it'll come, and will hopefully answer a lot of your outstanding questions.

Now all aboard the hype train to E3!

So damn hyped for this game... That was amazing. Really hoping it's this year but if it is delayed, well...after what drive club accomplished with a delay, I won't fret too much.

Can't wait tho.

samar11

Can't tell if real or being sarcastic any more lol

Eusis

I don't know what it is about GAF and this game, but I can't recall a single thread on it that wasn't a shitstorm.
I kind of wonder if maybe others are feeling similarly to me, sort of sick of a certain type of game and with alarms going off that this is very much that kind of game, and either expressing themselves badly or just being sick of this type of game period. It's not necessarily fair to this game and it's completely fair for not every game to be appealing to you, but it can feel at times like a lot of games are being made to appeal to one specific demographic at the exclusion of everyone else.
Yes, would definitely help with immersion. The areas we have seen so far do look rather small.
Yeah, this is part of why I made that RPG statement, this looks like it could be a great world to freely run around in for quests or whatever. This sort of sci-fi/steampunk/whatever Victorian England could make for a really interesting RPG or something kind of RPG-esque anyway.

They released a picture of The Last of Us Remastered with Ellie and Joel looking at Giraffes. I mean what is TLOU, a Zoo Simulator?
Nice.

I'll withhold judgment until we've seen more. As of now, all I can tell is this game has amazing graphics. And is a TPS. With QTEs and cover. Which isn't much, TBH. Hopefully someone with a brain decides what they're going to show us next.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't understand how anyone can judge the gameplay on the footage we've seen so far. It's obvious that the objective so far is to showcase the graphics and that what was presented here is a transitional moment between larger segments of gameplay, the equivalent of the run along the bridge sequence in TLOU that ends with us jumping in the river. The way the scene was set up at the end, with the camera sweeping behind the main protagonist was clearly the moment you were about to take control and then investigate the area you just entered. I have a feeling THAT section would probably play similar to TLOU, moving through corridors carefully, or room to room, perhaps even foraging for resources.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this game except the dialogue. The action should speak for itself and a good 80% of all the lines during this transitional period could be cut. The dialogue doesn't give us any insight into the characters, nor does it add details we would otherwise have missed. It takes you OUT of the experience.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
having not read any of this thread my impressions from that video:

1. a little too dark, no?
2. seems like a lot of cinema in the way of my gameplay
3. I'm getting tired of the same old bad guy mechanics. you can only shoot at the same enemy ducking/ and popping from cover so much ( a recent issue cropping up imo for tps games)
4. looks pretty.

edit: the game could be very different from just this snippet, but these are my first impressions. looks pretty decent.

Good point. For all the people saying it's just a tiny section of the game, maybe Sony and RAD should be showing a different tiny section. What they are showing doesn't seem that compelling from a gameplay standpoint and this is the second time they've made that mistake. Either someone is making a poor decision or this game is going to be a mildly entertaining unmemorable romp through Victorian England.

Well said Samyy.

I can't wait what the narrative for the new Gears of Wars will be after seeing the reaction to the Order.

Me too. It'll be fascinating.

Didn't you know the gameplay was the second coming or something? Maybe they'll go with that angle, like a few have already, since the XB1 is weaker so they probably won't be able to go with graphics? Despite it being neither the first nor the best of it's kind IMO, not that it plays bad or anything.

Nice attempt at sarcasm. Now, tell me what linear games exactly expanded their formula midway in their "590" minutes of the game? Please, I'm serious I wanna know. Tell me right now, that this is NOT what we're going to be expecting the entire game. Would they introduce new game mechanics? Will it be like Vanquish where the game is skill-based? Which is it?

I have no idea what you're on about. Did you ever play RaD's previous games? They required you to use weapons too to complete objectives.

Yes, I have and that exactly why I'm that skeptical of this game. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it for what they were but I have higher expectations when it comes to situations like this.

This needs to stop, folks. Stop expecting every single game to bring forth new, never before seen innovative concepts that blow your mind. That can't happen all the time. In fact, it doesn't need to.

This is why we're seeing stagnations in this industry. Don't you see? Almost every game of every genre is using the RPG formula of XP's and padded quests. Almost nobody is attempting to push the genre of any kind forward, so is it that unrealistic to expect SOMETHING from from any high-profile developer?

There can still be titles that take a tried and true formula and improve upon it in whatever way the developers see fit. Perhaps its not for you. That sucks, but maybe it doesn't need to be. Maybe there are simply some games that don't appeal to you, and that's okay. You don't have to like this game. That's fine. What isn't fine is people clogging up threads talking about how much they'd prefer if this well understood title were something completely different than what we already know it is.

Some of us - I dare say most of us - are perfectly fine with a third person shooter that requires you to shoot things. We enjoy action set pieces. If that makes me a pariah on NeoGAF then so be it.

I'm glad you can enjoy whatever offerings given to you on the table. But I'm not obligated to be "amazed" or "content" just because developers fail to deliver from my own expectations. I make it simple: Impress me and you'll see my money. That's it. And right now, the needled is pointing to the opposite direction. Unless, what I've seen is just only the small part of the shooting aspect, I will assume that my expectations are justified.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

RayMaker

Banned
So far it looks like an uncharted skin without the platforming, small environments and some next gen graphics.

If it turns out to be a shooter like uncharted its should be a good game depending on the story and if it incorporates other things aside from shooting which made uncharted so great.

onanie

Nice attempt at sarcasm. Now, tell me what linear games exactly expanded their formula midway in their "590" minutes of the game? Please, I'm serious I wanna know. Tell me right now, that this is NOT what we're going to be expecting the entire game. Would they introduce new game mechanics? Will it be like Vanquish where the game is skill-based? Which is it?

Tell me right now, the list of weapons in the game, and their different mechanics. Tell me right now, the list of enemy types in the game, and their different behaviours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom