• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

The bigger Sony TVs are very nice too.

Sony is almost the only TV manufacturer who still puts 10-bit panels on most of their TVs. It's kind of a well-kept secret in the industry.

longdi

Banned
Well anand said themselves, they are using less accurate tests

Because I don’t live in a vacuum, I also looked at the results that TFT Central managed with the same display, since they have an oscilloscope that I don’t and they found virtually no lag at all.

(Anand tested over HDMI)
Of course, that is over HDMI and not DisplayPort or DVI, and at 1080p, so the reliability of that number is admittedly low, but there is no better solution available to me to measure it right now. I’d like to produce a better number than that, but sadly I can't at present

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well anand said themselves, they are using lesds accurate tests
Sure. If you're happy that is good.

But being 3x as good as the very best measured monitor that is used by the fighting game community seems rather far-fetched to me and points more to a difference in definition or measurements.

longdi

Banned
Sure. If you're happy that is good.

But being 3x as good as the very best measured monitor that is used by the fighting game community seems rather far-fetched to me and points more to a difference in definition or measurements.
Yup im happy with it, and its the only reason why it is still around with me. The edge light ips glow is horrible. Absolutely horrible in darker condtions..

Perhaps fighting gamers should buy one and test it, stocks are low as dell is replacing with 3019 model

ViciousDS

Banned
My apologies everyone pretty much has. Its a bad panel not actually true HD with the wrong pixel setup. Its literally sneaking into the market on bullshit.
edit RTings seems to have corrected it and said it has a 10bit panel so I removed that from the original comment. That leaves the pixel setup which is actually not true 4k.
And no local dimming and its edge lit. Sort of double not wanteds as we move forward.

dear heavens, now we have to look at how the pixels are setup too?

Sakujou

Banned
a similar tv findable in europe?
iam buying a new tv because my 1080p will be 10 years old next year.
i spent 1500€ in 2007,iam not planning to spend more than 100€ this time.
i want a tv only for gaming, so iam searching for low inputlag, a lot of hdmi ports and all the bells n whistles needed for good gaming.

ViciousDS

Banned
Only on bottom-of-the-barrel low end TVs.

Nobody tries to pull any PenTile bullshit on decent quality TVs.

for a starter TV though is it really at all bad for $550 open box at 43 inches? That's the question. I'm assuming the picture quality is still going to be a massive improvement over 1080p.

Also how do you even tell its pixel orientation on reviews, I'm trying to find it on the rtings review. nothing there really mentioned about it not being true 4k due to pixel setup

Trying to educate myself in all this, dear heavens the amount of buzz words is worse then pixel clarity during the microsoft scorpio conference lol

EvB

a similar tv findable in europe?
iam buying a new tv because my 1080p will be 10 years old next year.
i spent 1500€ in 2007,iam not planning to spend more than 100€ this time.
i want a tv only for gaming, so iam searching for low inputlag, a lot of hdmi ports and all the bells n whistles needed for good gaming.

Now is a bad time to buy a new TV, because if you want one with all the bells and whistles you will be paying 2000 as the "current" generation of LCD Tvs only became available this year, so are all pretty pricey

EvB

Man these new TVs are confusing. Want 4K HDR and now it needs to be HDR10?

Ffs!!!

Just find one with UHD Premium as a badge, and you will be fine. This will support everything you will need and the picture will be great.

UHD Premium is the 2016 equivalent of HDReady

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any upcoming improvements in motion resolution on LCD sets? My Sony has a motion flow clear mode which doesn't seem to interpolate (no soap opera effect) and it strobes the backlight to increase motion resolution. Downside is it is super dim when it does that so it's almost u usable. But with all this 4K and HDR, it'd be nice to have a TV that is a bit better than 300 lines of motion res.

for a starter TV though is it really at all bad for $550 open box at 43 inches? That's the question. I'm assuming the picture quality is still going to be a massive improvement over 1080p.

Also how do you even tell its pixel orientation on reviews, I'm trying to find it on the rtings review. nothing there really mentioned about it not being true 4k due to pixel setup

I had to find the original post and discover it was about some crappy bottom-tier LG TV.

LG TVs are generally trash anyways with the worst upscalers in the industry and IPS instead of VA panels. I wouldn't buy an LG TV unless I was only gunning for OLED and I still wouldn't buy an LG OLED even though no one else makes OLED. Not that I would buy OLED anyways, they are technologically a dead end because they have the same pixel wear issues as plasma except worse and they don't have nearly enough brightness to offer good quality HDR.

Subpixel layout is kind of a dirty secret in the industry and no one really talks about it. Many low end TVs have this RGBW layout including a bunch of those super-cheap Chinese 4K TVs. In general, just buy a decent quality TV from a decent brand and you'll probably be able to avoid RGBW.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wait I thought HDR Pro was HDR10? I seen an advert on an LG TV that said HDR Pro, otherwise known as HDR10?

That's LG's marketing term for their lower end spectrum HDR TV's. Some of their panels are even RGBW pixel structured which is even worse than the $400 KU6300 in terms of picture quality.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100

I had to find the original post and discover it was about some crappy bottom-tier LG TV.

LG TVs are generally trash anyways with the worst upscalers in the industry and IPS instead of VA panels. I wouldn't buy an LG TV unless I was only gunning for OLED and I still wouldn't buy an LG OLED even though no one else makes OLED. Not that I would buy OLED anyways, they are technologically a dead end because they have the same pixel wear issues as plasma except worse and they don't have nearly enough brightness to offer good quality HDR.

Subpixel layout is kind of a dirty secret in the industry and no one really talks about it. Many low end TVs have this RGBW layout including a bunch of those super-cheap Chinese 4K TVs. In general, just buy a decent quality TV from a decent brand and you'll probably be able to avoid RGBW.

I was talking in relation to the Sony one......not the LG one. This Sony one the x800D how does it fair in pixel structure. I already know LG is the WORST when it comes to the bottom end 4K's lol

So were you talking about LG panels this whole time for Pixel structure? Maybe I missed the conversation somewhere lol

virtualS

HDR content on UHD BluRay is currently mastered at up to 4000 nits of brightness.

Cheap and dim edge lit displays will never do HDR justice even if they are capable of accepting a 4K HDR signal.

ktroopa

Just find one with UHD Premium as a badge, and you will be fine. This will support everything you will need and the picture will be great.

UHD Premium is the 2016 equivalent of HDReady

I read sony wont be supporting the UHD premium logo. Why are they being so anal :/

EvB

HDR content on UHD BluRay is currently mastered at up to 4000 nits of brightness.

Cheap and dim edge lit displays will never do HDR justice even if they are capable of accepting a 4K HDR signal.

this^

Seriously people need to stop trying to cheap out, if you are buying a set without UHD Premium or Dolby Vision on it, you are just buying a TV that is already outdated. It's quesionable as to how much benefit you'll get from HDR also.

wildfire

Banned
I thought the name was familiar.

Sony for a long time has made the best TVs for gaming period.

http://www.blurbusters.com/sony-motionflow-impulse-mode-reduces-motion-blur-without-interpolation/

Sony “Motionflow Impulse” reduces motion blur without interpolation
Posted on February 19, 2013 by Chief Blur Buster

Several new Sony HDTV’s can eliminate motion blur using “Motionflow Impulse“, a CRT-style strobe backlight that does not use interpolation! This mode is very video-game friendly, and completely eliminates motion blur during 60 fps @ 60 Hz. Try this setting with consoles, computers, emulators, and sports!

The good news is that it has excellent motion clarity (similiar to LightBoost), and it retains the Sony color quality, with better-than-plasma video game motion on an LCD. It flickers like a 60Hz CRT, and add a very small amount of input lag (but less than interpolation).

ViciousDS

Banned
this^

Seriously people need to stop trying to cheap out, if you are buying a set without UHD Premium or Dolby Vision on it, you are just buying a TV that is already outdated. It's quesionable as to how much benefit you'll get from HDR also.

I wonder what sets even reach that lol

The new LG B6 doesn't, not even close! Vizio P series misses that as well, they barely seem to hit even 500 it seems averaged

I might as well go budget then, I'm not spending 3 grand on a TV atm

Also PS4 Pro the reason I'm buying a 4k TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision!!!!! I'll be paying more for a feature I'm not even going to use!

Noctis3

The new LG B6 doesn't, not even close! Vizio P series misses that as well, they barely seem to hit even 500 it seems averaged

This right here

I read sony wont be supporting the UHD premium logo. Why are they being so anal :/

Just don't buy Sony.

Their 4k offering is pretty crap as a whole (high input lag). There are exceptions of course.

But cheaping out on a 4k hdr set just to have it is dumb.

Especially dumb if you only plan on using a PS4p (no UHD bluray, which is going to be the only highest quality source for 4k; streaming is possible but of course quality is lower).

Noctis3

Just don't buy Sony.

Their 4k offering is pretty crap as a whole (high input lag). There are exceptions of course.

But cheaping out on a 4k hdr set just to have it is dumb.

Especially dumb if you only plan on using a PS4p (no UHD bluray, which is going to be the only highest quality source for 4k; streaming is possible but of course quality is lower).
I wouldn't call it dumb, not everybody has $3000 or even $1000 for some super duper high end TV thats gonna end up outdated after 2 years anyway.

Noctis3

The alternative is not buying a high-end set when you can't afford it. The alternative is to wait and don't buy.
Yup, and then when you buy that now depreciated priced TV we start this conversation all over again a year or two later. This time with the new technology, Super Hyper Ultra Premium HDR.

That's LG's marketing term for their lower end spectrum HDR TV's. Some of their panels are even RGBW pixel structured which is even worse than the $400 KU6300 in terms of picture quality.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100

I was talking in relation to the Sony one......not the LG one. This Sony one the x800D how does it fair in pixel structure. I already know LG is the WORST when it comes to the bottom end 4K's lol

So were you talking about LG panels this whole time for Pixel structure? Maybe I missed the conversation somewhere lol

Yeah, I had to swim upstream in the thread myself to realize the whole RGBW sub-conversation in this thread was because someone mentioned a cheap LG set as an alternative to the Sony in the OP.

I've been buying Sony TVs since the 1990's and I haven't ever regretted owning a Sony TV. I'm not seeing any compelling reason to replace my 2013 Sony 65X900A set with an HDR set right now. Much like the legendary Sony XBR8 with the original Trimluminos RGB-LED backlights, the X900A is more or less a one-of-a-kind set as it was the first to integrate the Quantum Dots and the only one which uses the original QD tech which no one uses anymore because it's "environmentally unfriendly".

Yup, and then when you buy that now depreciated priced TV we start this conversation all over again a year or two later. This time with the new technology, Super Hyper Ultra Premium HDR.

Once specs have settled (it will happen, as it always has) you can buy as cheap as you want and get all the minimum needed to enjoy 4k HDR 60+hz 4:4:4 bt.2020 10/12 bit (throwing everything out at the same time xD).

I'm not advocating buying a high end set every two years. Stop being so dense.

EvB

Also PS4 Pro the reason I'm buying a 4k TV doesn't even support Dolby Vision!!!!! I'll be paying more for a feature I'm not even going to use!

The rules are slightly different for OLED, because they can go darker than LCD can. They need to meet 540nits, but meet a blackness criteria also.

We are years off from Dolby Vision sets becoming commonplace I'd say, because they also want to use 12bit color as standard. That is going to be a standard perhaps used as reference quality or for production mastering until the technology catches up. They have really future proofed that one.

Sony have really pulled a number though, the number of people (in this thread alone, running out to buy an "HDR" TV that is already outdated is crazy.

Zojirushi

So we got different types of HDR now?

This all sounds to me like right now is the worst possible moment to switch TVs before it's even clear what the new standards are gonna be.

ViciousDS

Banned
Once specs have settled (it will happen, as it always has) you can buy as cheap as you want and get all the minimum needed to enjoy 4k HDR 60+hz 4:4:4 bt.2020 10 bit (throwing everything out at the same time xD).

I think its just because of the PSPro many of us want to get into the 4k field.......we aren't asking for some uber awesome ultra set. But I'm pretty sure there are a few budget TV's that you use that are actually going to make you hungry for mORE. Hence the entry level into 4K.

I bought ths one the X800D from the thread here, its entry level, I'm not expecting a ton, but I'm expecting myself to definitely be impressed for the $500 I payed for it to push me even into a higher set.

I think that's really all anyone asking for a budget one right is wanting.

An ok jump in to basically test the field and want a higher end set.

The rules are slightly different for OLED, because they can go darker than LCD can. They need to meet 540nits, but meet a blackness criteria also.

We are years off from Dolby Vision sets becoming commonplace I'd say, because they also want to use 12bit color as standard. That is going to be a standard perhaps used as reference quality or for production mastering until the technology catches up. They have really future proofed that one.

Sony have really pulled a number though, the number of people (in this thread alone, running out to buy an "HDR" TV that is already outdated is crazy.

Thanks for the clarity EvB

I'm buying the TV more for the color, and 4k........the true HDR in brightness will be what I look for in a high end set when it becomes the standard years down the road.

Noctis3

Once specs have settled (it will happen, as it always has) you can buy as cheap as you want and get all the minimum needed to enjoy 4k HDR 60+hz 4:4:4 bt.2020 10 bit (throwing everything out at the same time xD).

I'm being dense but your calling people dumb for buying a TV within their means....ok smart guy. No need to get defensive lol, all I said was that there are cheaper options that provide similar quality maybe not the best but it gets the job done. I mean, am I wrong?

Once specs have settled (it will happen, as it always has) you can buy as cheap as you want and get all the minimum needed to enjoy 4k HDR 60+hz 4:4:4 bt.2020 10/12 bit (throwing everything out at the same time xD).

There no way you'll ever be able to buy a set which is compliant with HDR, Rec.2020, have a 10/12-bit panel, and support 4K/60 4:4:4 ever for like $500. No one is going to be able to make an LCD panel with that kind of quality for that cheap ever. LCD is an incredibly mature technology and we're making them as cheaply as they can be made already.

There's a reason why the cheap 4K "HDR" sets today don't meet anything resembling the official HDR contrast specs, and that's because the panels physically cannot do it and they never will at that kind of price point.

I'm being dense but your calling people dumb for buying a TV within their means....ok smart guy. No need to get defensive lol, all I said was that there are cheaper options that provide similar quality maybe not the best but it gets the job done. I mean, am I wrong?

I'm not calling people dumb for buying what they can with their money. That's why I'm asking you no to be dense. But maybe it was a poor choice of words, so my bad.

What I'm calling dumb is rushing to buy a cheap set and then realize that the specs aren't there and that you won't get what you actually went out to buy (cheap or not, it's a lot of money anyway).

If it gets the job done, fine. I guess I can't be any more clearer than this.

There's a reason why the cheap 4K "HDR" sets today don't meet anything resembling the official HDR contrast specs, and that's because the panels physically cannot do it and they never will at that kind of price point.

They will be good enough in a couple years' time. At a good enough price (and when consoles will actually do 4k).

Just like with 1080p.

Noctis3

I think its just because of the PSPro many of us want to get into the 4k field.......we aren't asking for some uber awesome ultra set. But I'm pretty sure there are a few budget TV's that you use that are actually going to make you hungry for more. Hence the entry level into 4K.

I bought ths one the X800D from the thread here, its entry level, I'm not expecting a ton, but I'm expecting myself to definitely be impressed for the $500 I payed for it to push me even into a higher set.

I think that's really all anyone asking for a budget one right is wanting.

An ok jump in to basically test the field and want a higher end set.
This is pretty much all I have been saying. Lol

HDR is tempting, but I'll wait a few years to jump in. Bought a 1080p OLED this year and it's an amazing TV, will last me a few years until 4k OLED gets cheaper and better.

ACH1LL3US

Wow this seems like the best you can buy for PC usage atm

VA panel
10bit WCG
HDR10
4K60 4:4:4
43" not too big
4K 33ms input lag which is ok for mouse gaming

putting it in my upgrade list.
Does Samsung or Panasonic offers a similar class model?

I had been checking out this sony 43x800d for 4k pc gaming.

I have been comparing to the samsung 43ku7000. Both tv's have a va panel and similar contrast, both have enhanced color crystals ( triluminous and active color crystals ).

Input lag on the sony is 33ms ( two frames ) and the samsung is at 24ms. Not a huge difference there when pc gaming.

Honestly, the build quality on the sony looks miles better and the color and motion is much better on the sony. Also the sony has NO pwm, whereas the samsung does and the pixel response on the sony is 13ms and the samsung is pushing almost 20ms. rtings reviews for both show this.

Also the sony has 4:4:4 chroma at 33ms inout lag whereas to get 4:4:4 on the samsung raises the lag to 39ms, so actually for pc use the sony is quicker and better.

I feel the sony 43x800d has an excellent panel and motion and is the best 43 inch you can get for games and pc use. Nothing in that size compares, even the pc monitors from philips and wasabi cant as those are ips and have just as much input lag.

i got the x850d and love it so far. spec wise, it looks very similar to the x800d however it is 55". it is also a good $800 cheaper then the samsung 8000 series (in Canada at least). so i'm willing to live with the fact that the specs aren't quite as good

for those saying do not buy a sony 4ktv, the set that the OP is talking about is currently rated the 3rd best bang for your buck (right behind vizio):
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-price/under-1000/best
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-price/under-1500/best

taoofjord

Picked up a 65" KS8000 and ended up with some very annoying light bleed along the entire bottom and top of the screen. TV shopping sucks. I'm not sure if I should exchange it for the same set or go for Vizio or just say fuck it and get a LG OLED C6 (since it has 34ms lag over the B6's 54ms)

The problem is, now is when the quantum dot tech is introducing and it makes a great difference in panel contrast for led tvs, so a 4k hdr tv with quantum dot leds is still very expensive, and besides, the input lag with hdr on is not optimal.
For not talking about QLED tvs that will make all the led panels obsolete in the future.

Gitaroo

Folks that plan on getting the 49" for pc games too might want to get the 55" 850d because the 850D has native 1080p 120Hz support. If your pc game handle games at 4k 30+ fps. It can benefit from running games in 1080p @ much higher frame rate. And sony tv has motionflow impluse which is like pc lightboost but only require 60hz instead of 144hz.

Top Bottom