• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

I went to MediaMarkt today and damn...if haven't heard so much BS in one half an hour:
- HDR8 or HDR10 is just the same
- You need gold plated HDMI cables for 4K
- Curved screens are more suited for HDR etc.

So in the end, they were pushing me towards a 1,5 year old LG. So much for good advice in stores about 4K HDR, but then again, water is wet.

ViciousDS

Banned
Awwww, yiss. Time to upgrade.

I got mine open box at best buy for almost another $100 discount, I paid just over $600 with tax included.

Just go to best buys website and scroll down or google best buy open box

I went to MediaMarkt today and damn...if haven't heard so much BS in one half an hour:

So in the end, they were pushing me towards a 1,5 year old LG. So much for good advice in stores about 4K HDR, but then again, water is wet.

Can't wait to see the folks waiting in line on black friday for a LG RGBW panel and nothing but discussions between general consumers......its a shit show atm.

So this sony as a 43" monitor vs something like an 34" IPS Ultrawide? Opinions?

You trade high refresh rates, fast response and low latency (and possibly gsync) for true 4k HDR support. It depends on your priorities.

HDR gaming for pc is coming (or should be coming) on Pascal cards.

Cyriades

I don't think this is the right model btw. Spec sheet on official Sony site says the linked TV set only has native 50hz.
ICbmSts.png

Standard-definition TVs set at 60Hz in the US or 50Hz in many other countries

Azerare

I'm a noobs to tvs but I thought you need big screen sizes to fully benefit from 4k. I know distance is also also factor, but I just want clarification.

spwolf

i generally just roll my eyes and dont listen to anything they say.

But yes, there is a 4K Premium cable that is needed for these sets, but I am sure we can order same spec cable from China.

SkylineRKR

Yeah they're shit. Just get info from the net, and then buy there if they're cheap. There was this instance when my girlfriend and me went to buy her a camera, I said 'she wants a bag and a lens protector too, can you shave something off of the price?'. And he actually rounded off upward with a cocky look. You're joking right? no, you won't find cheaper blah blah... So in my imagination I slapped his face. I said we were done here and took her outside.

Izuna

Banned

That's disgusting. Seriously.

Can't wait to see the folks waiting in line on black friday for a LG RGBW panel and nothing but discussions between general consumers......its a shit show atm.

It is...I feel like getting drunk and don't know what to believe :)

i generally just roll my eyes and dont listen to anything they say.

But yes, there is a 4K Premium cable that is needed for these sets, but I am sure we can order same spec cable from China.

I thought it uses a standard 2.0 HDMI cable...or high speed cable or am I wrong?

Cyriades

So wait, are you telling me that the supposed EU model is not able to output 4k60?
Basically, the US & Japan use NTSC 60 Hz video, and the rest of the World use PAL or SECAM at 50 Hz.

Usually PAL TVs support 50/60hz automatically

TyrantII

This is where I am. 70 inches or bust

70" <20ms or bust.

I'm thinking I'll be waiting till 2018 to upgrade. Maybe by then they'll put enough silicon in these things to process with acceptable input lag.

I really hate how they cheap out on their image processors in TVs.

Thanks to this thread, i went down to view Sony newly launched Z9D.

Its a very classy looking set, looks majestic, and it is actually cheaper than the same 65" LG OLED here! Around USD5.2K!

The demo reel was just generic 4K, so i cannot see the master backlight in action. Sony is lazy unlike LG, who has their specially created demos to showoff the inky OLED blacks.

Z9D does seems to control the bloom much better than other FALD sets. The picture looked evenly lit with no one section that sears your eyes typically.

However the Z9D menu is super duper shit slow! Laggy and takes a ms to load the next item! If this is AndroidTV, i think Sony should go back to XMB. Unbecoming of a premium set!

Phone cam from a moving demo reel ]

Wow thats impressive.

You should understand that the "lag" you experienced is a hardware issue not an Android TV software problem. Android TV is buttery smooth on most Android TV streaming devices.

Sony is using a mediatek with four a53 cores. The issue here is these cores are typically used for non ui tasks for less performance intense situations like when you mobile phone's screen is off. Apparently, sony and mediatek thought it was a good idea to use this cpu for all tasks including all UI navigation etc.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a53-processor.php
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39674-mediatek-showcases-world-s-first-android-tv-6-0
Using super efficient low power cpu cores as your primary chips on smart tvs is a terrible idea and being way too cheap. At least the gpu is decent in this thing....

Vuze

Basically, the US & Japan use NTSC 60 Hz video, and the rest of the World use PAL or SECAM at 50 Hz.

Usually PAL TVs support 50/60hz automatically
Oh, I think I understand now.
The spec sheet also lists supported resolution/framerate input at the bottom and explicitly mentions 2160p60. I never really cared for TVs in the past, so it's a lot to take in at once haha. Guess I'll try to keep up to date with the developments in the branch to make an informed purchase next year.
Appreciate it.

spwolf

It is...I feel like getting drunk and don't know what to believe :)

I thought it uses a standard 2.0 HDMI cable...or high speed cable or am I wrong?

there is no even a "2.0" HDMI cable, they are all Cat 2 cables... sp they should actually be able to carry the bandwidth. There was never a hardware change in cables. But in reality, cheap ones were built for price.

So it is very tricky actually... there are overpriced ones that are 4K Premium certified, but looking over at Monoprice, it seems that their cheap ones cant actually carry 4K at 60hz which sucks.

confusion is high, hence they actually bundle 4K Premium cable with Pro:
For maximum quality, you&#8217;ll need a PS4 Pro system, a 4K TV with a Premium HDMI input port (often marked in blue), and a Premium HDMI cable. A Premium HDMI cable is included with PS4 Pro, but those who need to purchase a longer cable should remember to get one that meets the Premium HDMI spec.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

edit: To clarify, it has to be 18 Gbs cable, not 10 Gbs one.

ktroopa

Yes.......if you really want to know both the KU7000 and the Sony one in the OP will arrive on my doorstep in a week from monday.......but I plan on returning the KU7000 to the store due to the mucher low color gamut

Cool. Please post some impressions once the Sony turns up, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Yeah they're shit. Just get info from the net, and then buy there if they're cheap. There was this instance when my girlfriend and me went to buy her a camera, I said 'she wants a bag and a lens protector too, can you shave something off of the price?'. And he actually rounded off upward with a cocky look. You're joking right? no, you won't find cheaper blah blah... So in my imagination I slapped his face. I said we were done here and took her outside.

Hahaha...Nice one. I was thinking when talking to him I actually wanted to tell him he was full of shit.

That's disgusting. Seriously.

Pretty much.

That's the thing

I'm always drunk XD

jk

Than you won't even notice 4K. Go with 720P :D

there is no even a "2.0" HDMI cable, they are all Cat 2 cables... sp they should actually be able to carry the bandwidth. There was never a hardware change in cables. But in reality, cheap ones were built for price.

So it is very tricky actually... there are overpriced ones that are 4K Premium certified, but looking over at Monoprice, it seems that their cheap ones cant actually carry 4K at 60hz which sucks.

confusion is high, hence they actually bundle 4K Premium cable with Pro:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

edit: To clarify, it has to be 18 Gbs cable, not 10 Gbs one.

Thanks for clearing things up.

NastyBook

I got mine open box at best buy for almost another $100 discount, I paid just over $600 with tax included.

Didn't even think about display units. Do they clean them up before you take em home?

What's the risk with open box tvs?

Using super efficient low power cpu cores as your primary chips on smart tvs is a terrible idea and being way too cheap. At least the gpu is decent in this thing....

Sounds like Sony likes the idea of this in other things than their tv's ffs!

Have this issue with a bedroom 42" of theirs. Feels like forever for it to 'warm up'. Never experienced anything like it on any other tv I've ever had. Having said that, I knew this before I bought it but it has a good picture and low response rate, HOWEVER, it's worse than I thought it would be lol!

Really don't like Samsung Tv's but unless Sony get their shit together, it will be adios!

ViciousDS

Banned
Didn't even think about display units. Do they clean them up before you take em home?

What's the risk with open box tvs?

the geek squad certified ones which are like $20 more then the standard open box ones are cleaned, tested and the full boot. It will literally say open box geek squad certified. Tells you in the description online. While standard open box is usually someone opened it, didn't like it or wanted something else and returned it. It is hardware so if you do find a fault or anything you can just run it to any store for a refund.

Exchanges though, I'm not sure how they work on open box.....never had issues buying items for a discount. If there is something wrong with my display such as a dead pixel or what not. I'll let you know.

Freiya

I've had it for 35 days now and love it. Games look great on it and I can't wait to try tomb raider hdr.
You can also side load emulators on the tv.

I'm a noobs to tvs but I thought you need big screen sizes to fully benefit from 4k. I know distance is also also factor, but I just want clarification.

I always thought so too. But lately I am reading claims that HDR is cool on any size, whereas 4k vs 1080 experience is affected by viewing distance.

I have no idea whats actually accurate. But I did avoid a 4k purchase recently after seeing no difference between 1080 at a ten foot distance in store.

Havent seen HDR content in person yet but it sounds promising.

.hacked

we just grabbed 2 XBR-49X800D for the game room (B-Day next week so splurge time). Going to setup tomorrow, cant wait to try them out.

Not getting any 4K TV that doesn't support Dolby Vision also. Can't risk one or the other (HDR10 or Dolby Vision) winning out versus the next and it ends up amounting to me essentially throwing money out the window for a feature that will not be taken advantage of.

After reading about this tv I think its a perfect replacement for my 6-7 year old 32" 1080p Bravia.

It has pretty much every thing I want tech wise crammed into it and it's not stupidly big like most other 4k tvs. I've been waiting for one which is around 40" (bedroom) and has all the bells and whistles.

anddd it's not available in Australia. Fuck sake.

ViciousDS

Banned
we just grabbed 2 XBR-49X800D for the game room (B-Day next week so splurge time). Going to setup tomorrow, cant wait to try them out.

Let us know how the test footage looks. I'm just interested in how it performs just google HDR test video and you'll find stuff to download and check out.

i got the x850d and love it so far. spec wise, it looks very similar to the x800d however it is 55". it is also a good $800 cheaper then the samsung 8000 series (in Canada at least). so i'm willing to live with the fact that the specs aren't quite as good

for those saying do not buy a sony 4ktv, the set that the OP is talking about is currently rated the 3rd best bang for your buck (right behind vizio):
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-price/under-1000/best
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-price/under-1500/best

Thanks. I'll update the original post with this if that's okay with you, if not I'll take it down.

I've had it for 35 days now and love it. Games look great on it and I can't wait to try tomb raider hdr.

That's good to know.

You dont even need to side load. There are emulators right in the Android TV playstore.

How many smart tvs or retail streaming boxes can say that?

Xux

Oh, hey, I just got this TV today! Haven't tried games on it but I'm glad it'll be a good pick for PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom