• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman for PS5 is an expansion and not full game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldergamer

Fbh

Honestly I'm glad, the reveal felt really underwhelming if it truly was a full sized next gen sequel.
What little they showed looked visually very similar to the original game and a sequel that's just Miles Morales would have been disappointing.

The way the original game is constructed, IMO the natural progression for a sequel would have to be Peter and Miles working together. Also, with this we can skip over the boring and probably predictable "inexperienced" phase of Miles, and he will already be more competent by the time they actually make a full sequel.

Arkam

Completely fine with that.... as long as it is a stand alone purchase. This is exactly what o expected, but with Venom. This is just as cool.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Agreed, they should really have clarified that last night right away. It was pretty obvious to some, but probably not for most.

Does that mean you get the orig game as well, enhanced for PS5?.

Yeah, you'd think they're releasing the full game + Miles for PS5, and owners of the original can pay some sort of smaller upgrade fee.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I assume it's a standalone game and doesn't come with the previous single player content. The talk about "enhancement" is probably referring to the graphical upgrades to the city and whatnot.

Kinda makes sense, for it to be ready for launch that would have been a pretty short turnaround for a full fledged Spidey sequel. I'm fine with a nice expansion to an already great game with some Next-Gen facelifts. Though, if it is an expansion, I have to assume that Spider-Man (base game) is gonna get a PS5 patch of some sort too?

Was confused for a moment myself if it was a new game or not. But yeah, it's an expansion.

Think there's some word going around they're including it with a SpiderMan remaster on PS5, while on PS4 you can just download it as DLC if you already have the game.

The question as a Spider-Man PS4 owwner is: Do i get the remastered PS5 ground version for free and just have to buy the MM stuff or do i have to buy a complete remastered edition.

Good question; figure Sony'll need to clarify this sooner rather than later.

Kinda makes sense, for it to be ready for launch that would have been a pretty short turnaround for a full fledged Spidey sequel. I'm fine with a nice expansion to an already great game with some Next-Gen facelifts. Though, if it is an expansion, I have to assume that Spider-Man (base game) is gonna get a PS5 patch of some sort too?

IIRC they're doing a remaster for PS5 that'll include the expansion.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Don't that mean, that only big first party game for launch is remaster? Xbox at least will get one new game (Halo).

Yeah, you'd think they're releasing the full game + Miles for PS5, and owners of the original can pay some sort of smaller upgrade fee.
Were TLoU owners able to upgrade for remaster for smaller upgrade fee?

I suppose this will be a game like Infamous First Light or Uncharted The Lost Legacy: not mainline, shorter experience with new character.
Let's be honest, it's impossible that Insomiac can develop a full nextgen mainline spiderman 2 in just 2 years. No way, no matter how efficient they are.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Marvel's Spider-man: Miles Morales was taken by many to be a full sequel to Insomniac's first Spider-man game, but it is in fact "an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game."

Like, wth is this? why did sony not clearly state this?
Why do you think they did not clarify this or what was exclusives to make casuals think resident evil 8 was an exclusive? The new suits are not gamers so they don't understand being disingenuous pisses people off.

timmyp53

If its priced reasonably it shouldn't be a problem. Probably gonna be Infamous First Light length(5-7) instead of the longer Uncharted Lost Legacy (8-10).

Moogle11

Banned
I assume it's a standalone game and doesn't come with the previous single player content. The talk about "enhancement" is probably referring to the graphical upgrades to the city and whatnot.

Yeah I got the impression that it will be a stand alone smaller game like Uncharted Lost Legacy. Just sharing the city as that’s where Miles is.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Probably they just wanted to port Spiderman to PS5 after working on that demo some time ago, and then they decided for something a little different.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I don't think so, but we still need more details anyway - TLOU Remastered came with Left Behind bundled in, but at that point Left Behind had been available on PS3 for 5 months.

For all we know you can just buy Miles as a standalone and not need the base game at all. They've been annoyingly vague.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They also didn't say in the presentation that the Astro's Playroom would be pre-loaded on the console, which it is.
I found that out by watching the trailer after the show.

maxresdefault.jpg

REE Machine

Banned
Don't that mean, that only big first party game for launch is remaster? Xbox at least will get one new game (Halo).

How is it a remaster when its built from the ground up on ps5?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY made that decision, I get the sense we'll get multiple Spider-Man games next generation.

El Sueño

My son loved Spiderman on PS4, I don't want to buy it again. I think that the PS4 Spidemarn has to have and update (textures, resolution etc) for the PS5 version and sell the expansion for Morales journey. That would be fair.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
The game reveal was misleading, but I don't blame Insomniac, guess there just wasn't time to make a full-length AAA game for launch.

Jason, you feeling okay bro? :messenger_hushed:

Hes right tho. I mean more than half the games shown in a fucking PS5 showcase are multiplatform and I'm not just talking about PC and PS5, but XBOX as well. The whole presentation while it looked nice was a fuckery of non information. Hell even the PS5 we know NOTHING, no price, no info on BC, and whatever the fuck else anyone with common sense would want to know. So yeah that Spiderman reveal, while I loved it, it was baffling.

Moogle11

Banned

If you want to split hairs like that, Halo is a new game, but also coming to Xbox One (and PC and should run fine on older rigs given the X1 version) so MS lacks a big exclusive for launch. Thus the only selling point is better graphics, which I personally don’t care much about anymore. I need exclusive games to buy a new console.

So I may end up with neither at launch and pick up a PS5 whenever Horizon 2 hits since a Spider-man expansion/shorter spinoff and Ratchet aren’t enough for me to buy day 1 [I don’t care about GT7). I need at least one “must play right now!” Type of game to shell out for new hardware and it looks like Horizon 2 will be the first of those for me next gen.

Jesb

Did insomniac expand a bunch since Sony bought them? They are working on 3 games for PS5 at the moment.

kuncol02

Banned
If you want to split hairs like that, Halo is a new game, but also coming to Xbox One (and PC and should run fine on older rigs given the X1 version) so MS lacks a big exclusive for launch. Thus the only selling point is better graphics, which I personally don’t care much about anymore. I need exclusive games to buy a new console.

So I may end up with neither at launch and pick up a PS5 whenever Horizon 2 hits since a Spider-man expansion/shorter spinoff and Ratchet aren’t enough for me to buy day 1 [I don’t care about GT7). I need at least one “must play right now!” Type of game to shell out for new hardware and it looks like Horizon 2 will be the first of those for me next gen.
Yes Halo is crossgen, but it's at least new game. I already played that Spiderman. Why I would want to buy new system to play it again?

Did insomniac expand a bunch since Sony bought them? They are working on 3 games for PS5 at the moment.
I don't think so, but remember they were working on much more than Ratchet and Spiderman this generation. They made one game for MS and bunch of VR ones for Oculus.

Last edited:
So the full game is being remastered for PS5 launch? Man imagine if you have to do all those lame ass side missions and collectible shit to unlock the MM content 😆

If this is a PS5 only game thats truly a disservice to the people who supported the original Spiderman game. I know its marketing but you shouldn't be able to take a ps4 game, add an expansion and slap a "next gen exclusive" on it for the perception of next gen.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I own the original digital copy so what does that get me? Can I just buy the dlc if I buy a ps5 or do I have to buy the full game again?

Neo_game

If it an standalone expansion and using the same engine this should also be on PS4 otherwise they will miss out on lots of sales.

Yes Halo is crossgen, but it's at least new game. I already played that Spiderman. Why I would want to buy new system to play it again?

I don't think so, but remember they were working on much more than Ratchet and Spiderman this generation. They made one game for MS and bunch of VR ones for Oculus.

Its obviously a new story. First light/lost legacy were more than "expansions" and both were fantastic

kyoji

So all the people who shit on Microsoft for no launch exclusives are fun day. So the big first party game from Sony is a cross generation game with exclusive DLC? Hope some of you are hungry for that crow.
Demon souls? Gran Turismo 7? Ratchet & Clank? pretty sure these will be ready with launch of the concole or staggered to spread out within first few months, who knows we will have to wait for an official launch line up but i think they stand a real good chance. Im assuming there isnt more info yet because the console date itself isnt set, wouldnt make much sense to put dates on planned launch games and the console doesn't have one yet.

oldergamer

Why do you think they did not clarify this or what was exclusives to make casuals think resident evil 8 was an exclusive? The new suits are not gamers so they don't understand being disingenuous pisses people off.
New suits? I don't buy that. they know what they are doing and if certain titles were not exclusive or something wasn't actual in game assets or gameplay.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Demon souls? Gran Turismo 7? Ratchet & Clank? pretty sure these will be ready with launch of the concole or staggered to spread out within first few months, who knows we will have to wait for an official launch line up but i think they stand a real good chance. Im assuming there isnt more info yet because the console date itself isnt set, wouldnt make much sense to put dates on planned launch games and the console doesn't have one yet.
None of those games had even a year attached to them. There's not much reason to think they are launch window when some games had a year from their first parties, like Spiderman, and these didn't.

So for clarification, they confuse more.

How did Insomniac make an entire new game while making Ratchet and Clank and also working on Spider-man 2?

They didn't so what is this?

kuncol02

Banned
Its obviously a new story. First light/lost legacy were more than "expansions" and both were fantastic
Something tells me, that if than expansion would be big enough for being standalone game, then they would make it standalone and not part of remaster of original. Maybe I'm just pessimistic on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom