• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

RocBase

There was lots of love in the Sun and Moon threads because Nintendo/Game Freak no longer asks if you're a boy or a girl... Simply asking about your style, then using gender neutral ways to reference your "trainer". Nintendo has gone from one of the worst offenders to arguably one of the better in the last 2-3 years.

Really fantastic stuff. Go Nintendo!

Kudo

He/she is just being an ass

Pearl is great, post more Pearl fanart

I see, he didn't have to go that far but..

Agreed, I'm keeping my eyes open for more but meanwhile enjoy this gif. Pearl will take the world by storm, I'm sure of it.

Y47yTO8.gif

Is there something wrong with the images? If you have a problem with any of them let me know and I'll delete them from the post.

People are rightly hyped for the new characters, and between Marina, Twintelle and the Gerudo of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild, this representation is both important and necessary progress. It's great for Nintendo and Nintendo fans, because they get to play in worlds which reflect the ones they live in better, and it's reassuring to know that diversity and inclusion isn't treated as an afterthought in their world creation/game design. The problem isn't with the images, but rather the intent of the post - the fact that in order to hype the other character, you had to "derail the hype train/knock the other one down". There wasn't a need for it, and you literally don't have to worry. The same also goes for "Marina VS Twintelle" - We get this representation, but they're being played off against each other, when both should be embraced. It was bothersome because we've seen the gaming community react in hostile ways whenever there's a moment like this. By all means, post the pictures - However, please be aware of the distinction, and note once more that there's nothing wrong with a preference!!

wartama

Neo Member
Actually, Pearl's boyish look is growing on me. And all the hate towards her might make me consider switching sides (-_-)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Congrats Nintendo for being able to create a character that's even more insta-hate than the previous ones!

Maxinas

People are rightly hyped for the new characters, and between Marina, Twintelle and the Gerudo of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild, this representation is both important and necessary progress. It's great for Nintendo and Nintendo fans, because they get to play in worlds which reflect the ones they live in better, and it's reassuring to know that diversity and inclusion isn't treated as an afterthought in their world creation/game design. The problem isn't with the images, but rather the intent of the post - the fact that in order to hype the other character, you had to "derail the hype train/knock the other one down". There wasn't a need for it, and you literally don't have to worry. The same also goes for "Marina VS Twintelle" - We get this representation, but they're being played off against each other, when both should be embraced. It was bothersome because we've seen the gaming community react in hostile ways whenever there's a moment like this. By all means, post the pictures - However, please be aware of the distinction, and note once more that there's nothing wrong with a preference!!

How exactly did you interpret that post as being anti-progressive. A large majority of people are hating on Pearl, she/he posts some pro-pearl artwork, and its seen as anti-Marina?

That's probably because half the posters in this thread have been calling Pearl garbage.

God Pearl's design is just so nasty looking. Like, alone, some of the stuff on her character wouldn't be too bad, but all together she just looks like ass. It's especially puzzling when Callie and Marie were both fine and Marina looks fantastic

Phu

Banned

I get what you're saying in the broad sense but the waifu wars/best girl/fan favorite shit is largely lighthearted nonsense. It's not so much actually tearing down another character, potentially newer diverse characters, it's moreso just shittalking anyone who's not on the flag you're waving. A lot of people are talking down to Pearl
and rightfully so
but it's expected for people to do the same for Marina, because it's more fun that way.

It's like this is the very first time in your life you've experienced fanboy wars, because that's what this reads like if you think representation is why some characters are shat on while others are hyped

Kudo

I have/had no intention derailing the celebrating of diversity with that post, it's a great thing like you said and Nintendo have done good lately.
Just wanted to show something for fans of Pearl too, I like Marina myself too and didn't want to come out like I was trying to play her down but as you can see there's not much hype for Pearl here, thus the choice of words "hype train".

Ogodei

Still not sure if Pearl is an Octarian or not

Marina is...but there's definitely a story behind that.

Pearl's design simply doesn't look right to me. The eyebrows, the insane big forehead, the evil-looking brow and eye-color.

I think Marie had a similar eye color, right? In fact, so did Callie.

splatoonsfinalsplatfestcominginjuly_3uhq.640_thumb.jpg

Still not sure if Pearl is an Octarian or not

Marina is...but there's definitely a story behind that.

Pearl's design simply doesn't look right to me. The eyebrows, the insane big forehead, the evil-looking brow and eye-color.

Pearl is an Inkling - her emblem, eyes, and hair all show this.

Meanwhile Marina is an octoling. (Visible suckers, different emblem and eyes)

How exactly did you interpret that post as being anti-progressive. A large majority of people are hating on Pearl, she/he posts some pro-pearl artwork, and its seen as anti-Marina?

Where did I say that posting Pearl pics was anti-Marina? I didn't. Where did I say that it's wrong to prefer Pearl? I didn't. Try reading again. If the intent is "to derail the Marina hype train" (not my words, by the way), then, understandably, a lot of people would read that as an anti-Marina sentiment - I don't feel that this is an unreasonable deduction. It's possible to like Pearl without having to "derail the other". It's possible to like Pearl and let others be. At the same time, it's also important to understand WHY Marina matters.

Hmm...I'm starting to come around to Pearl. I still prefer Marina, Callie, and especially Marie but she has some spunk and sass, which is something I can definitely appreciate. I think the main thing that bothers most people, or at least me, is that the eyes are too close together and they're too slanted. Had they been further apart and, well, not as slanted, she'd look a lot better

Ravelle

Same. Both of these new girls are just way less interesting than Callie and Marie.

Would be cool if they were just a addition to Calie and Marie, there's no reason for them to be replaced. You can have two news casters annoucing stuff and have two DJ girls mixing it up and announce other things.

Top Bottom