• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
1499354609468.gif

Wait, is she an octoling?
Yes

I don't trust Marina. What's up with that fake smile of hers?
Now Pearl, she just looks angry all the time. That I can relate to.

Not feeling the music as much as the previous game, but whatever.

Village

I don't think calling pearl a bad design is accurate. I think she's a pretty good one

She's just an 8/10 , well done character design. Next to " holy fucking shit this character is baller as fuck" 20/10

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think calling pearl a bad design is accurate. I think she's a pretty good one

She's just an 8/10 , well done character design. Next to " holy fucking shit this character is baller as fuck" 20/10

I mean, it's all opinions. I don't like her design much, regardless if Marina existed or not. The crown's a neat touch though.

-GJ-

Pearl is called Lorelei in Dutch. And Marina is 'Mariana'. Usually they translate the names to make the puns better to understand for Dutch kids (example: Biff in ARMS is called Armadeus over here, since 'biff' isn't a word that's used in the Dutch language), but I don't understand the pun in Lorelei, versus Pearl. They could've named her 'Parel', which is the Dutch translation of Pearl and even a name in The Netherlands (for instance; Mr. Krabs daughter in Spongebob is named Parel over here). Lorelei sucks.

Village

Eh, Marina ain't that cool.

I think she is, her and twintelle are different kinds of cool.

Like Twintelle is that regal, yet still very modern fashionable design.

And Marina is like jet set radio, undergound DJ kinda design.

I like both those things,

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Marina's clothes really call attention. The further unzipped top, the fact she's wearing basically half a top, the fact her skirt has lights on it... yet her eyebrows, eye shape, and demeanor are all reserved. Obviously a bit older a mature.

And then you have Pearl, who has some incredibly guarded looking clothes, in comparison. Her hairtacles are facing inward, her zipper is ALLL The way up, and even her coloration is kinda chill. Marina's green tipped fingers are a stark contrast to her darker brown skin, while Pearl's fingertips barely stand out at all, as being unusual. Looks like a small, sassy Chuckie child.

In this way, I totally like Pearl as a tool to make Marina stand out more. And vice-versa. And the "Pearl Marina" is apparently a hotel / apartment complex? *shrug* Their names didn't play off as well as Callie Marie at first, but otherwise, they contrast nicely.

I wanna pixel them... but I think I have do make both, to do them proper justice! :)

You guys need to stop drooling over Marina and give Pearl a better look. At first the difference is striking, I now feel Pearl is a really good effort even if she is mean faced, I think she will gain a lot of fans.

The design twists old stupid narratives of Dark = Evil and Light = Good

Pearl is the badass and Marina is the sweet one, I think this works really well

Marina is what I wanted all Octolings to look like, (her eyes is awesome compared to what Octolings had) but if she was in Single Player, I don't think I would feel motivated to Splat her. The design is just solid so it takes a lot away from a pretty damn good thing that is also going on with Pearl. Pearl is just something new and people are not sure what to think.

Based on the Japanese upload (which has slightly better image quality):

• Pearl is called ヒメ (Hime, "Princess")
  • Marina is called イイダ (Iida, "Yida"?)
  • Marina calls Pearl "senpai", indicating that the older-looking Marina is newer in the Idol space
  • Based on their interactions, Pearl's careless (I previously wrote "bossy" but I'm not sure it's exact) while Marina is acting shy and polite but applied.

dkeane

And then you have Pearl, who has some incredibly guarded looking clothes, in comparison. Her hairtacles are facing inward, her zipper is ALLL The way up, and even her coloration is kinda chill.
Her entire dress looks transparent though. Like a pearl.

Smeags

Whatever happened to Wet Floor?

600px-Wet_Floor.jpg

Once again the pop trash is suffocating actual indie artistry. *sweeps tentacle to the side* Wake up squiddles! We must take back music's dignity from the clutches of these idol wannabes!

Me too.

Life of an Idol. Once they get old, the crowd moves on. :(

Technically speaking they're still massively popular in-game, but the whole Callie Abduction thing put the group on an unannounced hiatus that people would question if it was going to go on longer had you not gotten there when you did.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The design twists old stupid narratives of Dark = Evil and Light = Good

Pearl is the badass and Marina is the sweet one, I think this works really well

Pearl definitely has the more aggressive musical style and personality too, and Marina is again the opposite. Also, is she possibly the darkest-skin Octo we've seen?

She's like a nice attempt for a Japanese design to NOT do the stylistic thing that happens with Akuma-like characters.

Her entire dress looks transparent though. Like a pearl.

Is it" I need to look at more pictures, lol. I kept looking between them in the PV, and other than being shockingly white (as expected) and that crown of hers, she definitely didn't catch my eye. Though it's cool she has details that still bring her out, and work well once you focus on her.

Okay, I love Marina but Pearl isn't THAT bad

8287MgR.png

She's not supposed to be conventionally cute. I said this earlier, but she's totally giving me Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord vibes. She's supposed to be the "brat little sister" type she makes a good contrast to Marina's shyness and elegance

Neoxon

Eh...considering Nintendo's focus on Female Corrin after the fan response to her, I wouldn't count Twintelle out.
Perhaps, though that would likely apply to someone like Ribbon Girl who's already close to Spring Man in main character status. In fact, I think NoA is focusing on her more (going by the TV spot & the newsletter emails).

More than one character from a series can make it in ya know.
Yeah, though I'm not sure if ARMS's debut in Smash would justify 2 characters. If we do get 2, I'd imagine that they'll be Spring Man & Twintelle.

Top Bottom