• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

Neiteio

Someone here said the enemies are called Octacles. I know they're based on octopi, but where are you guys getting the name from? Where did Nintendo say they're called that?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
IM IN THERE
edit: not saying my avatar is in there just a form of expression saying im for it lol

Gsnap

Man oh man. This game has lit my imagination on fire. I was excited before because the mechanics and multiplayer looked really cool.

But seeing that single player footage just shot this game up to the top of my most anticipated list. I just really like that they seem to be taking every opportunity to let the mechanics shine. Since it's basically a traversal shooter it only makes sense to take that traversal to the next level with focused single player levels, enemies, bosses, etc.

The part with the rotating clock hand-like platform sort of sells it to me. I really can't wait for this game now.

Looks like a cross between sunshine, galaxy and portal. It looks like the single player campaign may consist of puzzle-liked challenges with interspersed battle segments.

EDarkness

It actually might be even better. You have the pointing with the gyro, and adjust it with the analog. You might have a disadvantage by going Wiimotes only.

Perhaps, but I guess I won't be finding out. My policy for these kinds of games is no IR no buy. I have no interest in any shooting game like this that doesn't use the remote.

Seriously hyped for this, always thought the game looked cool but wasn't sure if it would have a SP component, now seeing this trailer it looks like the game was always meant to be a SP game.

Lunar15

I love it! It looks kinda like Mario Galaxy in some ways, just using the paint mechanics to get around. Seriously wonderful.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
I was really hoping this game would have a single player outside of "bot matches." This footage does not disappoint. We may have a new AAA Nintendo hit on the horizon.

Doorman

Someone here said the enemies are called Octacles. I know they're based on octopi, but where are you guys getting the name from? Where did Nintendo say they're called that?

I got the name from pulling it out of my head. Nothing official about it, I just thought it made sense since the base enemies aren't full octopi, but rather single octopus tentacles. Take it all with a grain of salt
but selfishly I hope the nickname sticks

Tom_Cody

I wanted to cry as the sheer beauty on display during the single player trailer.

This goes above and beyond anything I could have dreamt of in terms of a Super Mario Sunshine sequel. Great stuff.

Calling it now. The Inklings and Octopodes have to join forces at the end to take on the Cuddlefish who threaten both of them.

Also the propaganda and the fact that in multiplayer the screen always says that YOUR side is the "good guys" and the opposing team is the "bad guys" I'm pretty sure the war is pretty morally grey.

Bullshots??

XroSblq.png

qGf35Q6.png

wqvFAiR.png

Bi9sJ0Z.png

More here: http://imgur.com/a/dQYAE

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I watched the single-player campaign trailer again, and it really looks like funky EAD fun. It actually reminds me of F-Zero X, wild comic book fun. The music, character designs, gameplay concepts, all look insane. But insane in a fun EAD way.

Didn't notice the totem poles and water underneath you in the forest arena. And it seems we'll be spraying in a skate park! I still haven't been to new one in my city.

You know what? Those octopi look like Absolutely Disgusting. Since they can't swim and jump the way Inklings can in squid form, that's why they're so mad over being stuck in the campaign, unable to do MP.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wasn't completely sold on the game before, but I have to admit that it's coming along really nicely. I think a single player campaign seals it for me. Keep the surprises coming.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone notice that there appears to be a 2D segment in the video footage?

Emo octopi are really nice designs.

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone notice that there appears to be a 2D segment in the video footage?

Yes, but I don't think that has anything to do with the gameplay. Seems like a little cameo just for the video.

Crayolan

So it looks like that thing is definitely a boss. Wonder how that'll work?

You know what? Those octopi look like Absolutely Disgusting. Since they can't swim and jump the way Inklings can in squid form, that's why they're so mad over being stuck in the campaign, unable to do MP.

I know you're joking, but they did actually show fully grown octopi in the trailer. They look just like emo squids.

Top Bottom