• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist (anti)hype thread | Experience All 5 Stages of Ironside Loss

frontieruk

Spies vs Mercs...

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

This... but which platform?

dearodie

Is Spies VS Mercs online only or can it be played local?
Conversely, Can Co-op be played online?
Does any of this apply to Wii U? (I heard local co-op was ditched to meet ship date)

frontieruk

Is Spies VS Mercs online only or can it be played local?
Conversely, Can Co-op be played online?
Does any of this apply to Wii U? (I heard local co-op was ditched to meet ship date)

Co-op can be played online and offline except on wii U,

SvsM will be online only or lan maybe...

Banned
This will be my first splinter cell. I'm getting the Wii U version. Also, the dev is in my hometown and I want to support them (Toronto)

Grief.exe

This... but which platform?

I'd assume the 360 would have the larger MP community.

The PC still has people online in Chaos Theory SVM.

Now that's the Splinter Cell I fell in love width
Conviction was a good stealth action game, but this is true stealth. Stalking from the darkness, outmanuevering in the shadows

Was curious. between Batman's Predator stealth, MGS's line of sight stealth, Crysis/DE's cloaking stealth, I've always prefered SC's shadow based stealth over the others. Just seems more realistically, the way of a real operative would infiltrate. Which do you prefer?

And if anyone's interested in reading, I posted this little write up on NeoGAF two months ago:
From The Shadows: Why stealth is so empowering

Probably about time you played Thief.

Gun Animal

Was curious. between Batman's Predator stealth, MGS's line of sight stealth, Crysis/DE's cloaking stealth, I've always prefered SC's shadow based stealth over the others. Just seems more realistically, the way of a real operative would infiltrate. Which do you prefer?

I like old-school Metal Gear's arcade-y, line-of-sight based stealth, but it's been more about camoflauge and visibility since 2004. What I really like is that Blacklist appears to be mixing it up, with shadow-based stealth at night, line-of-sight stealth in the day and plenty of opportunities for vertical/predatory stealth as well. While we're on the subject of "how a real operative would infiltrate," Hitman's disguise-based stealth and Assassin's Creed's social stealth are probably more realistic.

One thing I'm curious about: we've seen Sam wearing camo this time around, does it actually affect his visibility in any way or is it just cosmetic?

Gbraga

I'm more into the dumb stuff myself. Not about being a ghost and no one ever knowing you were there while you finish your job, but more of a predator thing where they do see you, but it's the last thing they see.

I love Crysis and The Bourne Conviction <3

iirate

Now that's the Splinter Cell I fell in love width
Conviction was a good stealth action game, but this is true stealth. Stalking from the darkness, outmanuevering in the shadows

And if anyone's interested in reading, I posted this little write up on NeoGAF two months ago:
From The Shadows: Why stealth is so empowering

I love Batman and Crysis's stealth(and there's PLENTY of room for stealth in Crysis outside of being cloaked), but Splinter Cell's style is absolute tops for me. I've tried to get into MGS several times, but I just can't.

DesertFox

This will be my first splinter cell. I'm getting the Wii U version. Also, the dev is in my hometown and I want to support them (Toronto)
Do yourself a favor and find out what you've been missing in Chaos Theory. It's also a nice lead up to Blacklist. I wish Ubi would just retcon Double Agent and Conviction and just make this game pick up from the end of Chaos Theory.

Love the videos, keep em coming!

Can't hear the audio at the beginning of the video - how was he able to play the game early?

I think Ubisoft did a shitload of hands-on with journalist, bloggers and fans of the series. It definitely paid off with all that positive hype coming out of it. Still not convinced about Single/Coop but based off those impressions and videos, I'm warming up to it even if it's a must-buy for the Spies VS Mercs mode alone.

SpyGuy239

Looks great.

One thing I really miss and do't understand why they never brought it back was the Black & White night vision from the First game. Why? It was cool and was unique to the series!

Looks great.

One thing I really miss and do't understand why they never brought it back was the Black & White night vision from the First game. Why? It was cool and was unique to the series!

They did that because you didn't have any form of night vision throughout the first half of the game before you got sonar. Yes it was cool but give me my straight up muddy green night vision any day. :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game looks great, I ain't been excited for a SC game in years I just pre-ordered the Steelbook version from Zavvi, how are they with pre-orders?
I've never preordered from them before

legacyzero

Banned
That map looks like it will appeal to me more than the hospital. Very open, lots of vertical gameplay.
I was actually thinking about how I really liked that map :lol

It is German... and the whole video is him complaining about the analog controls ( wishes his mouse back) and about his team (rightfully so I might add)
The game does look a bit sluggish. Even worse, is it looks sluggish on purpose.

I was actually thinking about how I really liked that map :lol

The game does look a bit sluggish. Even worse, is it looks sluggish on purpose.

Nah that's completely on him. Dude even says so that he never plays with controllers and is a PC gamer first and foremost. All you see here is him not having the muscle memory in his thumbs to compensate the acceleration of the sticks. Other footage looks perfectly fine, if a bit weighty (in a good way)

It's a bit like me when I'm playing BLOPS2 with the Pro Controller instead of the Wiimote, but in BLOPS2 most of the aiming is done by the aimbot anyway with dual analogs, so it's not that big of a problem.

I really can't wait for this game, as both the classic Spies vs Mercs mode and the campaign/coop look very very promising. I doubt we'll get a level in the stratosphere of Bank or Hokaido in this game, but it already blows Conviction and (360 version) Double Agent away just from a cursory glance.

I honestly hope that they one day return to the style of Mission Design from Chaos Theory. Huge contained sandbox levels that leave it up to you how to get in and out. Bank will probably never be surpassed as the ultimate stealth level.

Watched all the gameplay videos in the OP. It actually looks really good. I thought this would be another action game (hello Conviction).
How many missions are there (how long is this game?) I have no interest in multiplayer. co-op looks interesting though

Sober

Watched all the gameplay videos in the OP. It actually looks really good. I thought this would be another action game (hello Conviction).
How many missions are there (how long is this game?) I have no interest in multiplayer. co-op looks interesting though
13 SP campaign. 14 co-op but I'm guessing somewhere from 8-9 might be of the solo-variety (aka "Deniable Ops") and the rest are co-op only story beats.

Hunter/terrorist hunt still exists in the form of panther coop (soloable) maps as they seem to be in Conviction. Infiltration though it's less "hunter with a twist" and more focused on objectives and exploration.

From what I have seem it looks like panther/hunter style maps retain the Conviction style of "clear small sandbox area, move to next one" while ghost/infiltration maps are one large sandbox area (think something like the Bank mission in Chaos Theory) that seems to have nonlinear objectives.

Assault maps seem to be horde mode-ish where you have to defend a something against waves of enemies but you can use stealth.
Thanks again for the details and clarifications. I just hope I get as much replay value out of this new game as I did with the deniable ops in Conviction. Looks that way so far.

Sober

Thanks again for the details and clarifications. I just hope I get as much replay value out of this new game as I did with the deniable ops in Conviction. Looks that way so far.
Here is a dev diary showing off co-op. It's Seafort again but with some different stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIKG0qjk8Q

They even say that the ghost/grim missions are pretty much sandboxes, and they mess with the patrol routes each time so you can't speed grind them.

Here is also an IGN interview, Campaign Declassified.

Here is a dev diary showing off co-op. It's Seafort again but with some different stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIKG0qjk8Q

They even say that the ghost/grim missions are pretty much sandboxes, and they mess with the patrol routes each time so you can't speed grind them.

Here is also an IGN interview, Campaign Declassified.
I'm on a media blackout for now, especially since there is so much footage out there right now, and the fact that I'm already more than sold on it, so it'll be nice to see these environments for the first time when I boot it up.

All of which means I'm just basing things on people's words here. And among those words I can't get enough of the word "sandbox". The more I hear that the happier I am with my pre-order.

Sober

I'm on a media blackout for now, especially since there is so much footage out there right now, and the fact that I'm already more than sold on it, so it'll be nice to see these environments for the first time when I boot it up.

All of which means I'm just basing things on people's words here. And among those words I can't get enough of the word "sandbox". The more I hear that the happier I am with my pre-order.
Don't go media blackout on my OT <3

I'm lazy and suddenly finding out it is more work than I expected (versus what I want info I want to put into it).

Gaz_RB

Looks like this antihype thread is slowly turning into a hype thread haha. Good to see some people getting excited. Really hope Blacklist delivers.

Gbraga

I hope it's as fun as Conviction to play lethal, I know there won't be one living soul on my first playthrough (will probably try a ghost playthrough later on the highest difficulty, did they confirm the difficulty settings btw?)

Amir0x

Banned
my god the commercial is terrible and every gameplay video I've seen looks terrible

please tell me there is some combination of configurations that can kind of sort of make this play like classic Splinter Cell? Please? :(

Top Bottom