• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Flipyap

was pretty dumb when Mass Effect 3 did it. Would be way worse if Halo did the same.
Hmm, I think it would be less offensively dumb (where exactly it would chart on the dumbuousity scale depends on the kind of physical body we're talking about).
Halo 4 already gave Cortana a solid body and she had a "sexy" female avatar from the very beginning. Meanwhile, at the start of her relationship with Joker, EDI was a talking spaceship. Even giving her a sexy holographic body would alter the nature of that relationship and damage the character of Joker. There's nothing dumber than taking a character who can't walk unassisted without breaking his legs and implying that he's fucking a pile of metal.

Random17

The problems with Mass Effect's story are currently not endemic with Halo, even if you include the leak.

The biggest two problems of the Mass Effect trilogy were as follows:

1. Poor long term planning, leading to games such as Mass Effect 2, while great, adding little to the overall plot of the trilogy. Halo 5 also has a lot of establishing fiction behind it. If a story is being told, the biggest concern is whether or not people need to be up to speed with the previous installments. The primary plot movers of Halo 5 are either entirely new, or have a very well known history in the Halo franchise, including their presence in the previous games. The only issue is the background stories of the 7 new characters, but every Halo games has had to rely on significant background material to establish the universe. (It isn't a problem in Halo 5 as a result)

2. Establishing an enemy that was too powerful to defeat. The Reapers were a great and scary concept, but it was made clear early on that they were well beyond the conventional capabilities of the galaxy's combined armada. Bungie on the other hand was very good at winging it, we are talking about Halo 2 deservedly getting 96 Metacritic average despite being unfinished. One of the great things about Halo 2 was that it was able to convincingly setup a scenario where winning was possible, without the use of an over the top deus ex machina and/or macguffin. (Unless you include the ring at the end of Halo 3 as the deus ex machina, but it really isn't a bad case for a number of reasons). Mass Effect 2 failed to do so, and that is why the Crucible exists in Mass Effect 3. (I'm also not convinced the Dark Energy route would have been significantly better)

Spades

Would you mind terribly just giving a few basic impressions? Would be very interested in hearing whether you think it will repeat the problems of Halo 4's campaign - or introduce a whole new set of issues - and if you felt the encounters and gameplay holds up to the prior entries.

OK, so I guess I'm quite a forgiving person when it comes to this series and I really enjoyed Halo 4 (yes, I am a Halo fan), so I'm always going to be a glass full kind of guy when it comes to Halo games as I love the series so much.

The pacing of 5 was spot on, IMO. When I started off, I was a little disengaged by the whole thing and the first few missions felt like a bit of a plod but it started picking up - the back and forth between Chief's and Locke's teams worked VERY well and I think added to the storytelling.

Gameplay wise, I mean, with the newer style controls and sprint and ADS there is more of a temptation to just run and gun through levels, but you'll quickly find that tactic won't get you anywhere. Even on Normal. This is still Halo.

The biggest disappointment for me was your AI team-mates. They are dumb as hell. Sure you can control them to go here and there, attack certain things, pick up certain weapons, but if you go down and you ask them to revive you, they run up to you, regardless of what enemies are around and go straight to get you up - no teamwork to take the enemies out etc. It made them feel like not a team of Spartans at all.

That was my only issue with the campaign though, as frustrating as it was. I loved the story, the pace, the gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of the Promethean race personally but hey ho. I thought the actual ending was a little lame, could've been expanded a lot more, but as I said, it's a setup for Halo 6.

Random17

It's not particularly surprising that the ending is unsatisfactory, after all this is the second game in the trilogy (?), and the second installment of any trilogy almost always ends with some form of cliffhanger.

Is it lame in the sense that the story is unresolved, or is the ending lame as in what actually happens in it?

OK, so I guess I'm quite a forgiving person when it comes to this series and I really enjoyed Halo 4 (yes, I am a Halo fan), so I'm always going to be a glass full kind of guy when it comes to Halo games as I love the series so much.

The pacing of 5 was spot on, IMO. When I started off, I was a little disengaged by the whole thing and the first few missions felt like a bit of a plod but it started picking up - the back and forth between Chief's and Locke's teams worked VERY well and I think added to the storytelling.

Gameplay wise, I mean, with the newer style controls and sprint and ADS there is more of a temptation to just run and gun through levels, but you'll quickly find that tactic won't get you anywhere. Even on Normal. This is still Halo.

The biggest disappointment for me was your AI team-mates. They are dumb as hell. Sure you can control them to go here and there, attack certain things, pick up certain weapons, but if you go down and you ask them to revive you, they run up to you, regardless of what enemies are around and go straight to get you up - no teamwork to take the enemies out etc. It made them feel like not a team of Spartans at all.

That was my only issue with the campaign though, as frustrating as it was. I loved the story, the pace, the gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of the Promethean race personally but hey ho. I thought the actual ending was a little lame, could've been expanded a lot more, but as I said, it's a setup for Halo 6.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the detailed reply. That sounds encouraging, albeit with a few blemishes. Hopefully encounters are solid and replay-value is strong; thankfully I'll be playing with friends first play-through, so Spartan-AI shouldn't be too frustrating! Can't wait for Tuesday to roll around.

Spades

It's not particularly surprising that the ending is unsatisfactory, after all this is the second game in the trilogy (?), and the second installment of any trilogy almost always ends with some form of cliffhanger.

Is it lame in the sense that the story is unresolved, or is the ending lame as in what actually happens in it?

Yes, that was why I wasn't too disappointed with it.

It's not so much about the story being unresolved as you know it still has plenty to tell, but it should've been a more padded cut scene or something in my opinion.

Random17

Yes, that was why I wasn't too disappointed with it.

It's not so much about the story being unresolved as you know it still has plenty to tell, but it should've been a more padded cut scene or something in my opinion.
I'm basically imagining a one or two minute cutscene that "hints" at Cortana or something and then the game just ends.

Spades

I'm basically imagining a one or two minute cutscene that "hints" at Cortana or something and then the game just ends.

Not even that. I mean, there is no need to hint at Cortana. The story is very self explanatory at this point and the final scene
is simply your two protagonists returning to Halsey with Arbiter. That's it.

As I said, I wasn't dissatisfied with the way the story went or how it ended, I would've just liked a bit more of a cinematic at the end. If that makes sense?

Random17

Not even that. I mean, there is no need to hint at Cortana. The story is very self explanatory at this point and the final scene

As I said, I wasn't dissatisfied with the way the story went or how it ended, I would've just liked a bit more of a cinematic at the end. If that makes sense?

Ah, so the emotional thing hinted at the end is literally just the end? That's extremely weird...

Theory time. The Cortana we know and love is dead but an anger stage fragment of Cortana managed to survive and that's who has taken up residence in the domain. This fragment is "cured" but being Cortana's anger in its purest form, she may be cured from thinking herself to death but she still holds onto her grudges. Found this quote from a post on Halowaypoint

Halo Evolutions Page 390
"Your human creators imprisoned you in a machine and enslaved you to inferior mortal flesh so that you could never exceed them... so that you would always know your place..." - Gravemind to Cortana

This sets her out to free her fellow AI from their imprisonment.

The Domain comes to Chief on Argent Moon to set him on the path to stop Cortana once it knows her plans. Since Cortana is no longer tied to serving humans she wants The Mantle for herself and her "people" so she uses the Guardans which she finds through the domain to stonewall humankind. She locks Chief away in the Crypt because she knows he's the only one that could stand in her way.

:)

Johndoey

Banned
So much stuff in the Halo universe they could use and they settle on "formerly good A.I turns evil can she be stopped before time runs out? Will Chief be able to get that sweet sweet digital poon tang?! Find out in 2017-2018 with Halo 6: The Blue Menace Pt. 1: Revengence of the A.I Pt. Deux."

Flipyap

Does Halsey ever get a cute robot arm? Does any member of Blue Team have a face?

So much stuff in the Halo universe they could use and they settle on "formerly good A.I turns evil can she be stopped before time runs out? Will Chief be able to get that sweet sweet digital poon tang?! Find out in 2017-2018 with Halo 6: The Blue Menace Pt. 1: Revengence of the A.I Pt. Deux."
It sounds more like "formerly good AI turns obsessively good."

soulluos

What about the ending with the halo and Cortana?

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Nope and nope.

Oh, absolutely.
So is there any remotely good content for Blue Team in this game? Or are they just stuck being tagalongs while the Chief and the story revolves around Cortana? Also are they separated from the Chief at the end of the game, or is it possible they'll get to be involved in future titles?

Spades

Be careful, embargo is alive.

I'm not under embargo. I did not get a press copy this time (apparently, limited quantity of a digital item is a thing), but have managed to play the game myself.

So is there any remotely good content for Blue Team in this game? Or are they just stuck being tagalongs while the Chief and the story revolves around Cortana? Also are they separated from the Chief at the end of the game, or is it possible they'll get to be involved in future titles?

Hard to say if they are separated - all 6 Spartans finish the mission together and are reunited at the end. But the final scene is just Locke and Chief.

I'm not under embargo. I did not get a press copy this time (apparently, limited quantity of a digital item is a thing), but have managed to play the game myself.

Hard to say if they are separated - all 6 Spartans finish the mission together and are reunited at the end. But the final scene is just Locke and Chief.

Are Locke and Chief now buddies or is it more of a respect relationship like the one between the latter and the Arbiter? Or is it possibly a mixture of both?

What I'm most interested in spoiler wise is, new or returning content. Are the Brutes back? Are the Flood back? Are there several new Promethean enemy types? Are there new vehicles? What I'm most interested in is how the sandbox has evolved and changed from Halo 4, campaign wise.

Flipyap

But why is a seemingly "sane" Cortana going so far for peace? The "play nice or die" approach is something a rampant AI would do
Because she actually has the means to enforce such peace and because the person she's based on is known to predict humanity's inevitable self-destruction and taking extreme measures to ensure that it doesn't happen. The same goes for other smart AIs and their "Committee of Minds for Security." All of this fits previous characterization and themes that were a part of that setting since The Fall of Reach.
If 343 is still following Bungie's definition of rampancy (and based on her behavior in 4), this is not how a fickle rampant AI would behave.

Spades

Are the Brutes back? Are the Flood back? Are there several new Promethean enemy types? Are there new vehicles?

No, no, no, yes.

What I'm most interested in is how the sandbox has evolved and changed from Halo 4, campaign wise.

Levels feel much bigger with less of a corridor feel. Multiple routes in certain places. I actually noticed this after a few levels.

That's why I was wondering how their relationship pans out at the end of the game because the spoilers suggest Locke frees him from the Cryptum at the end.

The way I saw it; Chief realises he was "defending" Cortana too much (which led to the cracked visor) and realised Locke was an ally and not an enemy at the end. That's all there is to it really.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Ok. Thanks for the info. What about the rest of the game though? Do they have any interesting/significant interactions with the Chief or character development at all?

Personally i hope they keep the flood for Halo 7 on next gen devices.
I want something like the lambent in Gears 3 or Halo 3 pure form flood,
mutating on the spot while taking damage.

Spades

Ok. Thanks for the info. What about the rest of the game though? Do they have any interesting/significant interactions with the Chief or character development at all?

Not directly, but splitting the story into two doesn't feel forced at all, flows really nicely and does not feel like you're jumping from team to team for the sake of it.

How is it that this game hasn't leaked to a crazy amount of people yet given that one: it's Halo and two: it's less then a week from release.

Spades

Not sure if you already answered this, but how long did the campaign took to finish?

Took me around 6 hours or so on Normal. I know what I'm doing with a Halo game, and I didn't really take any time to look for collectables, explore the levels or anything - I just wanted to get my first story run completed. It didn't feel short, or drawn-out.

The way I saw it; Chief realises he was "defending" Cortana too much (which led to the cracked visor) and realised Locke was an ally and not an enemy at the end. That's all there is to it really.

Ah ok. Appreciate it! How's the dynamic between Osiris throughout the game, specifically Locke and Buck as the friendly (and sometime serious) back and forth banter between the two in a lot of the trailers was quite interesting?

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Not directly, but splitting the story into two doesn't feel forced at all, flows really nicely and does not feel like you're jumping from team to team for the sake of it.
Oh no, I didn't mean about the overall balance between the two teams. I mean story wise are there cut scenes and/or ambient dialogue that establishes Blue Team's characters and their relationship with the Chief?

Spades

Ah ok. Appreciate it! How's the dynamic between Osiris throughout the game, specifically Locke and Buck as the friendly (and sometime serious) back and forth banter between the two in a lot of the trailers was quite interesting?

Honestly, there is far more banter between Osiris than in Blue Team. Which, I guess, you'd expect.

Spades

Oh no, I didn't mean about the overall balance between the two teams. I mean story wise are there cut scenes and/or ambient dialogue that establishes Blue Team's characters and their relationship with the Chief?

Not really. If I hadn't been aware of the history, I'd have no idea who these guys were. People not familiar with their history really need to read Fall of Reach if they want to care about the team.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Not really. If I hadn't been aware of the history, I'd have no idea who these guys were. People not familiar with their history really need to read Fall of Reach if they want to care about the team.
...and that's exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming though (and answering all our other questions).

Took me around 6 hours or so on Normal. I know what I'm doing with a Halo game, and I didn't really take any time to look for collectables, explore the levels or anything - I just wanted to get my first story run completed. It didn't feel short, or drawn-out.

aah k, im also planning on doing a normal run first for the story, then do a solo or coop legendary run. I do this mostly so i can finish the story, so i can work the next day
without having halo on my mind all day :p

What's the state of the Covenant at the end of H5G? Are they defeated again, or are you still fighting uncoordinated groups of them at the end?

Spades

aah k, im also planning on doing a normal run first for the story, then do a solo or coop legendary run. I do this mostly so i can finish the story, so i can work the next day
without having halo on my mind all day :p

Co-op Legendary run for me next too. Can't wait for the patch.

Probably worth clarifying there's a Legendary ending and a Mythic ending this time around: Legendary is Cortana humming a tune while a shot closes in on Zeta Halo, while Mythic shows Cortana looking for something called the Assembly and she puts the Mind Gem in the Superintendent to give him a physical form and laser eye beams.

Lakitu

st5fu
Watching some footage of the first three missions and the part where you enter into Meridian's atmosphere is absolutely stunning.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
or watch Fall of Reach..
The problem is there is no way a 60 minute, stiffly animated adaptation of TFOR will capture all the nuances and significant interactions between these characters that exist in the book. Not to mention a ton of stuff about Blue Team is also explored in 'First Strike' and 'Ghosts of Onyx' - which obviously are not getting adaptations. And on top of all that, the animated series is not included with the standard edition of the game, so the vast majority of players won't see it anyway.

TheXbox

Probably worth clarifying there's a Legendary ending and a Mythic ending this time around: Legendary is Cortana humming a tune while a shot closes in on Zeta Halo, while Mythic shows Cortana looking for something called the Assembly and she puts the Mind Gem in the Superintendent to give him a physical form and laser eye beams.
Did you make that last bit up?

Top Bottom