• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Random17

I think Kamchatka is more about Jul and Halsey, but something big definitely happens in that mission. I doubt a leaderless Storm can play such a big part in Halo 5, so the Guardian probably facilitates his escape.

I think Kamchatka is more about Jul and Halsey, but something big definitely happens in that mission. I doubt a leaderless Storm can play such a big part in Halo 5, so the Guardian probably facilitates his escape.

What's weird is in "Enemy Lines", Locke is talking about trying to get to Halsey.. so either they DON'T get her for a long while, or she escapes again. At this point I'm leaning towards her escaping again or going with 117 maybe. Since we've seen footage of her on Infinity.. can't imagine that's at the end 1/2 of the game.

What's the planet with all the weird trees?

Not sure, thought maybe Meridian but it doesn't really fit. TOO alien. Guess it could be another part of the Lava Planet.. but that also seems unlikely. It's a Blue Team mission though.

Random17

What's weird is in "Enemy Lines", Locke is talking about trying to get to Halsey.. so either they DON'T get her for a long while, or she escapes again. At this point I'm leaning towards her escaping again or going with 117 maybe. Since we've seen footage of her on Infinity.. can't imagine that's at the end 1/2 of the game.

Not sure, thought maybe Meridian but it doesn't really fit. TOO alien. Guess it could be another part of the Lava Planet.. but that also seems unlikely. It's a Blue Team mission though.
There's definitely a Reunion with Chief, so I'm assuming she escapes again.

Maybe it's something to do with the power cut thing?

Doubtful but I guess you never know.

We do know there is one scene where 117 is by himself [Argent Moon cutscene] so I suppose it's possible for him to have another alone scene. Gameplay wise though the whole game is made for 4-players so I doubt you ever fight alone.

There's definitely a Reunion with Chief, so I'm assuming she escapes again.

Maybe it's something to do with the power cut thing?

Ooooh yeah that's very possible. Halsey could create something to get her off Infinity again. Palmer would be PISSED!

I swear the trailer scene where she has two arms is her in the past tending to Cortana. Wonder if the "Kill us both" line is about terminating her and maybe whatever was left of Cortana?

Random17

We do know there is one scene where 117 is by himself [Argent Moon cutscene] so I suppose it's possible for him to have another alone scene. Gameplay wise though the whole game is made for 4-players so I doubt you ever fight alone.
They could pull Halo 3 where the coop partners come along anyway...

Random17

Ooooh yeah that's very possible. I swear the trailer scene where she has two arms is her in the past tending to Cortana. Wonder if the "Kill us both" line is about terminating her and maybe whatever was left of Cortana?
What if they use Halsey to recreate Cortana to lure the Chief?

Tal

Is the Warden Eternal supposed to be the main villain of this game? He felt more like a supporting character at E3.

Is the Warden Eternal supposed to be the main villain of this game? He felt more like a supporting character at E3.

I think he's more or less the vice-antagonist to whatever the real threat is, considering he plays nice with Chief (and Blue Team).

Ian / hebrewmenagerie in here had a pretty good Shadow of the Colossus-esque idea in that there are multiple Wardens because there's one for every Guardian. The Sangheilios Guardian is backed up by Warden Eternal, and at some point (presumably) that same Guardian jumps to the "Experience Halo 5" / "battle of beliefs" mission where we see Warden talking to Blue Team.

It wouldn't be the first time the Forerunners had a similar system in place: the Builders had Monitors assigned to the Halo Array, Catalog acted as caretakers for legal routines, and now it seems Wardens are the Warrior-Servant analog. Note especially Warden Eternal and the Guardian's aesthetic: white orange lights are generally associated with the Didact's control, they may just be an extension of Warrior-Servant tech (this is supported by Requiem in Halo 4 having a bunch of orange lights, and it's also a Warrior-Servant-constructed Shield World).

This brings into question why the Guardians themselves have bluish lighting; other than the one in the Halo Xbox One trailer, anyway.

I'm expecting the Didact to play some role, honestly. In the 2550s, an awakened Catalog noted an attempt by an entity bearing the Didact's signal to reclaim control over the greater Forerunner technology / knowledge arrays, but Catalog denied it. Maybe after getting Composed six times over in Escalation, the Didact somehow managed to get his bearings and tap into a limited store of Forerunner tech, and is using the Guardians (or one, at least) in a roundabout fashion to try and take over the galaxy.

If we get multiple Wardens in a single mission, mind you, I'm totally expecting The Breaking to be a High Charity-esque clusterfuck where you're trying to get through the mission among a massive feud across multiple factions. Maybe we'll get Wardens fighting each other.

These threads shouldn't pop up so often in gaming discussion, they just make it difficult to avoid spoilers :(

Sure, having a single thread clearly titled "Spoiler Thread" where all spoilers are contained makes it hard to avoid spoilers.
Where did the Warden Eternal come from? I don't remember him from the Forerunner books, but I haven't read the comics that bridge Halo 4 and 5.

Also, do you guys think Halo 5 will be able to pull "classic" boss fights properly? The best boss fight in the series (in my opinion) was the 'hog run in Halo CE. Tartarus' fight in H2 was horrible, and I hated the 'hog run in H3.

edit: I'm assuming at least some of the Guardians will be handled as bosses in the game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think he's more or less the vice-antagonist to whatever the real threat is, considering he plays nice with Chief (and Blue Team).

Ian / hebrewmenagerie in here had a pretty good Shadow of the Colossus-esque idea in that there are multiple Wardens because there's one for every Guardian. The Sangheilios Guardian is backed up by Warden Eternal, and at some point (presumably) that same Guardian jumps to the "Experience Halo 5" / "battle of beliefs" mission where we see Warden talking to Blue Team.

It wouldn't be the first time the Forerunners had a similar system in place: the Builders had Monitors assigned to the Halo Array, Catalog acted as caretakers for legal routines, and now it seems Wardens are the Warrior-Servant analog. Note especially Warden Eternal and the Guardian's aesthetic: white orange lights are generally associated with the Didact's control, they may just be an extension of Warrior-Servant tech (this is supported by Requiem in Halo 4 having a bunch of orange lights, and it's also a Warrior-Servant-constructed Shield World).

This brings into question why the Guardians themselves have bluish lighting; other than the one in the Halo Xbox One trailer, anyway.

I'm expecting the Didact to play some role, honestly. In the 2550s, an awakened Catalog noted an attempt by an entity bearing the Didact's signal to reclaim control over the greater Forerunner technology / knowledge arrays, but Catalog denied it. Maybe after getting Composed six times over in Escalation, the Didact somehow managed to get his bearings and tap into a limited store of Forerunner tech, and is using the Guardians (or one, at least) in a roundabout fashion to try and take over the galaxy.

If we get multiple Wardens in a single mission, mind you, I'm totally expecting The Breaking to be a High Charity-esque clusterfuck where you're trying to get through the mission among a massive feud across multiple factions. Maybe we'll get Wardens fighting each other.

The Warden Eternal is a single, distinct personality. :)

Seems plausible. Clearly the Warden is a construct, so I don't see why he/it/they would be limited to one place.

Or that ^

Curious though as to the "I am the Warden Eternal. Keeper of the Domain and her secrets" line and see how the Guardians tie into the Domain.

Really makes me wonder about the Guardians themselves.

I figure either:

(A) They're ancient Forerunner creations that are awoken by mistake or on purpose by some nefarious person, and are programmed to destroy ____ (humanity/everything/non-Forerunner/etc).

That seems a little on the nose though, and if they're so powerful, why have we never heard of them before? Seems like they would have been useful in the battle against the ancient humans or the Flood. Why leave them dormant, buried on random planets?

(B) They're even more ancient PRECURSOR creations, and are awoken because the Precursors are coming back to this galaxy.

This has a number of holes, one being that most Precursor tech was neural and was destroyed when the Halo array fired. Two.. they seem pretty Forerunner in design, though we don't know what actual Precursor tech actually looked like, the Forerunners could have ape'd them technologically as well for all we know. Would be an interesting twist, with the Domain link, but again, not likely.

(C) They're Forerunner, but ancient ANCIENT Forerunner.. and were used by them to drive out and destroy the Precursors a bajillion year ago. We know from the books that the Forerunners themselves buried their own history over time, so their genocide against the Precursors was barely a rumor. However unprepared the Precursors were, the Forerunner had to have some powerful things to chase them out. Perhaps they LITERALLY buried their sins.

This would be cool, and maybe they're waking up because.. I don't know. Something Precursor is coming back to the galaxy and they were programmed to 'Guard' against such a thing. This would make sense why they were never used/mentioned in the war against the ancient humans or the Flood.. the Forerunner themselves didn't remember/know of them.

I dunno.. can't wait to find out! Unless they keep all the good lore details for Halo 6 ;)

Where did the Warden Eternal come from? I don't remember him from the Forerunner books, but I haven't read the comics that bridge Halo 4 and 5.

We don't know, it was a new E3 revelation. I'm sure there will be more stuff down the road explaining their history.

Thinking maybe Halo: Escalation issue 23 will cover him.. it comes out on 10/28!

I'm going to that to mean that The Breaking is the obligatory "Domain voodoo Force hallucination / let's show Locke his deepest fears by confronting the possibility of Chief actually dying before he's brought in as seen in The Sprint S2 script ending 'leak' / rocks fall everyone dies except not really" mission.

So the Warden Eternal is a single distinct personality?

What about

"Prison Break
Simultaneously kill two Wardens in The Breaking on Heroic difficulty."

Are these other "Wardens" not Eternal? Lol

Nevermind someone answered previously....

SaganIsGOAT

I'm really hoping 343 shows John's face finally. It's the last piece of his "humanity" puzzle they need. I'm eagerly awaiting it.

What occurs to me regarding the Warden is, if he really is some kind of uber-Promethean like he appears to be, he could have multiple "bodies" running at once. His consciousness wouldn't be housed in any of them, but somewhere in the Domain. Single, distinct individual with multiple physical forms.

Seems plausible. Clearly the Warden is a construct, so I don't see why he/it/they would be limited to one place.

Or that ^

Curious though as to the "I am the Warden Eternal. Keeper of the Domain and her secrets" line and see how the Guardians tie into the Domain.

Really makes me wonder about the Guardians themselves.

I figure either:

(A) They're ancient Forerunner creations that are awoken by mistake or on purpose by some nefarious person, and are programmed to destroy ____ (humanity/everything/non-Forerunner/etc).

That seems a little on the nose though, and if they're so powerful, why have we never heard of them before? Seems like they would have been useful in the battle against the ancient humans or the Flood. Why leave them dormant, buried on random planets?

(B) They're even more ancient PRECURSOR creations, and are awoken because the Precursors are coming back to this galaxy.

This has a number of holes, one being that most Precursor tech was neural and was destroyed when the Halo array fired. Two.. they seem pretty Forerunner in design, though we don't know what actual Precursor tech actually looked like, the Forerunners could have ape'd them technologically as well for all we know. Would be an interesting twist, with the Domain link, but again, not likely.

(C) They're Forerunner, but ancient ANCIENT Forerunner.. and were used by them to drive out and destroy the Precursors a bajillion year ago. We know from the books that the Forerunners themselves buried their own history over time, so their genocide against the Precursors was barely a rumor. However unprepared the Precursors were, the Forerunner had to have some powerful things to chase them out. Perhaps they LITERALLY buried their sins.

This would be cool, and maybe they're waking up because.. I don't know. Something Precursor is coming back to the galaxy and they were programmed to 'Guard' against such a thing. This would make sense why they were never used/mentioned in the war against the ancient humans or the Flood.. the Forerunner themselves didn't remember/know of them.

I dunno.. can't wait to find out! Unless they keep all the good lore details for Halo 6 ;)

We don't know, it was a new E3 revelation. I'm sure there will be more stuff down the road explaining their history.

Thinking maybe Halo: Escalation issue 23 will cover him.. it comes out on 10/28!

I think either your 1st or 3rd theory are correct. Wasnt there a leak saying that the Guardians used to serve the forunners and now they serve a new master?

I am betting that perhaps is Guilty Spark that activated the Guardians, as he was crazy about firing the rings so he wants to get back at humanity.

Just my theory, but id love to see the precursors come back to the galaxy. Could be what changes Halo from now on.

Euron

I think either your 1st or 3rd theory are correct. Wasnt there a leak saying that the Guardians used to serve the forunners and now they serve a new master?
I am betting that perhaps is Guilty Spark that activated the Guardians, as he was crazy about firing the rings so he wants to get back at humanity.

Just my theory, but id love to see the precursors come back to the galaxy. Could be what changes Halo from now on.
I would love this. Honestly I'd be a little disappointed if the Guardians are all just controlled by The Didact. Precursors, Guilty Spark, Mendicant Bias, or the Master Builder being in control would be amazing.

I know they mentioned on Waypoint that the new Forerunner Soldier-class Armigers (baby Knights) have recently been produced..

While most were originally expended in the fruitless war against the Flood or compromised by the logic plague, some were secretly left to guard key Forerunner sites in the ages following the firing of the Array. Their reappearance with the Guardians indicates the secret of their manufacture has once again been uncovered, and as humanity continues to try and reclaim the vestiges of the Forerunners’ dominance, the reawakening of these constructs and others like them cannot be taken lightly by the UNSC.

Previously we saw 000 Tragic Solitude controlling armigers on The Ark.. so it'll be interesting to see where these are getting manufactured and by whom.

I would love this. Honestly I'd be a little disappointed if the Guardians are all just controlled by The Didact. Precursors, Guilty Spark, Mendicant Bias, or the Master Builder being in control would be amazing.

Or Cortana. She was splintering off her personalities or something in Halo 4 and perhaps she found the domain and got corrupted or the Diadact placed her there. So maybe the main baddy will be a super AI which will be scary.

I know they mentioned on Waypoint that the new Forerunner Soldier-class Armigers (baby Knights) have recently been produced..

Previously we saw 000 Tragic Solitude controlling armigers on The Ark.. so it'll be interesting to see where these are getting manufactured and by whom.

So it probably is something forunner based on that. Was there any evidence that maybe some of the precursors left the galaxy?

Euron

I just wanna see what a Precursor looks like. After Bloodborne the standards have been set pretty high for Lovecraft designs in games but the descriptive concept already I pretty cool.

Or Cortana. She was splintering off her personalities or something in Halo 4 and perhaps she found the domain and got corrupted or the Diadact placed her there. So maybe the main baddy will be a super AI which will be scary.

Could be. Seems plausible that it will be in some way related to Cortana. We had that scene in one of the Sprints that talked about 117 not being able to see 'her' as a threat. Unless they were referring to Kelly-087 or Linda-058 I don't know who else they could be referring to.

Even if its not REALLY Cortana, I could see the Warden or whomever using her likeness/essence to get 117 to do their bidding. The Didact most likely noticed the bond between the two during Halo 4, and if he's composed and in the digital realm he could do some crazy things.

So it probably is something forunner based on that. Was there any evidence that maybe some of the precursors left the galaxy?

We don't know for sure, but the ships that carried the first Flood spores into the galaxy seemed to have come from outside our Galaxy, so it makes sense.

I just wanna see what a Precursor looks like. After Bloodborne the standards have been set pretty high for Lovecraft designs in games but the descriptive concept already I pretty cool.

Ask and ye shall receive.

294_max.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive.

To be fair, we don't even know if that's their final form
;)

The books themselves made it seem like the Timeless One may not have been a true Precursor as it seemed like many different kind of beings fused into one (kinda like the Flood).

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the actual Precursors didn't have a set shape or design though. Maybe a LOOOONG time ago or something..

To be fair, we don't even know if that's their final form
;)

The books themselves made it seem like the Timeless One may not have been a true Precursor as it seemed like many different kind of beings fused into one (kinda like the Flood).

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the actual Precursors didn't have a set shape or design though. Maybe a LOOOONG time ago or something..

This. Note the diversity that already exists within a civilization like the Forerunner Ecumene. The Precursors were so out there that they were devolving themselves to live their lives as common sentient life on developing planets in accordance with The Mantle at times. It's highly unlikely they had a "single" form.

Watching the gamespot stream and they just had a cutscene with a bunch of elites on guard against some spartans.

i'm sorry but why are the elites fucking push overs? They stand there like lemons and allow themselves to die.

I hate it, don't care if these elites are not as well trained they should be more then puppets.

*edit* watched a chief cutscene, i'm sorry but spartans seem to be all about showboating now instead of being soldiers.

Watching the gamespot stream and they just had a cutscene with a bunch of elites on guard against some spartans.

i'm sorry but why are the elites fucking push overs? They stand there like lemons and allow themselves to die.

I hate it, don't care if these elites are not as well trained they should be more then puppets.

*edit* watched a chief cutscene, i'm sorry but spartans seem to be all about showboating now instead of being soldiers.

Fireteam Osiris is supposed to be one of the best (and Blue Team is the best)..

But yeah, I don't know, the Elite's in the first scene (with Jul) didn't seem great. I do imagine there is a big skill gap from the Covenant days and now.. and Jul has been losing good fighters for a while now.

Regarding the Chief scene.. I thought it was cool, it was mostly tactics over showboating I felt.

Did you miss the part in literally every novel where Spartans just run around 360 no-scoping people while upside down scoring crits on Banshee pilots?

Tal

Yo, what if the covenant were actually right all along and being killed by Halo just elevates you to the domain.

Top Bottom