• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

brau

supposidly capcom france says 4 ending now.

I would be interested to know what they consider to be an ending. So far i would say that getting "familied" is only one ending. I would be ok in saying 2 of them are valid on the door leading outside, and after picking up the phone, since those are guaranteed.

supposidly capcom france says 4 ending now.
The problem is we don't know what constitutes a separate ending.

Backdoor + 3 different phone calls could technically be four endings.

The more relevant question is: Can we complete the demo's objective "Leave the house"?

-MD-

tv4x5Cf.gif

Kinsei

Banned
Soon

people are working on replicating and uploading

Same thing with the 7th mannequin

So there's no video proof of someone seeing the ghost six times in a single run? Why do you believe it then? There's no excuse for there not to be video proof so they are probably BSing.

Moofers

I'm wondering if the game is running on a timed release system of some kind? How is it that this new mannequin spawn is just being discovered now? Maybe on the 7th day since the demo's release, something new unlocks?

I know we've set the system date to the RE7 release date already, but has anyone tried setting the system date to this Sunday, 7 days out from the demo's release?

Slaythe

What I hate is that this demo is a lazy fucking job.

Reused props everywhere despite a very small explorable surface.

Glitches everywhere.

Physics bugs galore.

It's really shit and it's annoying because it's hard to figure out what's a clue and what's capcom's incompetence.

saskayzx

Neo Member
maybe the chances of encountering the ghost are linked to the number of times we watch the tape? has anyone got more than one ghost on their very first run through the tape?

Getting all 7 ghosts will trigger an 8th ghost sighting, but this time right before you pull the dude off the pipe

calling it now

please

dosh

The problem is we don't know what constitutes a separate ending.

Backdoor + 3 different phone calls could technically be four endings.

The more relevant question is: Can we complete the demo's objective "Leave the house"?

I agree. I'm still glued to this thread though, because it's fun and also because it's too disheartening to contemplate a reality where the finger doesn't serve any actual purpose.

I don't even need a holy shit moment, simply escaping the house unpunched would be enough.

What I hate is that this demo is a lazy fucking job.

Reused props everywhere despite a very small explorable surface.

Glitches everywhere.

Physics bugs galore.

It's really shit and it's annoying because it's hard to figure out what's a clue and what's capcom's incompetence.
Ho it's not that bad. Glitches, reused assets and bugs really started being noticed because we are all spending way too much time playing a 15 min game.

My first playthough was great and terrifying.

Futaba

I would be interested to know what they consider to be an ending. So far i would say that getting "familied" is only one ending. I would be ok in saying 2 of them are valid on the door leading outside, and after picking up the phone, since those are guaranteed.

'4 endings' makes sense:
Back door
Memories phone call
Goodbye phone call
Power to change phone call

Not the endings people are hoping for of course.

tmtyf

Makes sense:
Back door
Memories phone call
Goodbye phone call

its the same ending though so i doubt it, i can see backdoor and phone as 2 endings even though double punched but counting each phone call a ending is rather dumb

brau

'4 endings' makes sense:
Back door
Memories phone call
Goodbye phone call

Those lead to the same result tho no? only the line on the phone changes... its hard to think that would be considered a separate ending.

I might test out the ghost thing on stream soon. Can someone give me step-by-step guide.

Family me and link me up, son!

Kinsei

Banned
If there really is nothing else in the demo then Capcom needs to just say it. People are only going to get more and more frustrated as time goes by.

Futaba

Those lead to the same result tho no?
Indeed it's the same, but ultimately it's a demo, so I guess the better way of looking at it, would be '4 outcomes', wouldn't be the first time "same but with minor differences" got classed as different endings as far as gaming goes.

brau

Indeed it's the same, but ultimately it's a demo, so I guess the better way of looking at it, would be '4 outcomes', wouldn't be the first time "same but with minor differences" got classed as different endings as far as gaming goes.

i guess im just too attached to what an ending should be like... maybe thats why the phone says my expecations will not be what i want them to be.. or whatever it says.

Stupid phone.

Futaba

i guess im just too attached to what an ending should be like... maybe thats why the phone says my expecations will not be what i want them to be.. or whatever it says.

Stupid phone.

What backs up the idea of the three calls being 3 of what they consider to be endings is the fact that unless you hug the wall and glitch the game (prevent family dude from spawning) you would generally be family'd trying to leave the room.
So we have 4 slightly different ways that the demo ends, three of them may well be too painfully similar but until Capcom opens up about it we can only make assumptions based on what we figure out ourselves.

Personally I don't buy that so many people have been playing it extensively for this long and nothing has surfaced beyond glitches. - If there was something more it would have been found, intentionally or accidentally - by now.

'4 endings' makes sense:
Back door
Memories phone call
Goodbye phone call

This is a strong possibility. For all we know at this point, those phone calls may not be directly referencing anything to discover in the game, but rather highlighting mechanics introduced in the demo that will be fully realized in Resident Evil 7. Memories would be the VHS - using other tapes found in the full house to change the game. Power is choice - witnessing the game change based on the choices we make. Goodbye - well... I don't really know. Either way, it makes sense for these endings to be the only endings.

Then again, we did have the rep that said we could beat the game and get outside. He could have just been adding fuel to the fire though, since no other rep seemed to be as willing to speak on the subject as him.

Keihart

I agree. I'm still glued to this thread though, because it's fun and also because it's too disheartening to contemplate a reality where the finger doesn't serve any actual purpose.

I don't even need a holy shit moment, simply escaping the house unpunched would be enough.

Ho it's not that bad. Glitches, reused assets and bugs really started being noticed because we are all spending way too much time playing a 15 min game.

My first playthough was great and terrifying.

There are way to many ways to interact with the enviroment to have a puzzle this obscure if there is one...P.T. was really smart about it giving you only moving and zooming as ways to interact with the enviroment.

Since we are now past common sense territory is obvious that we see glitches and reused assets everywhere. No game is made to be scrutinized this much, but maybe this one should have if the solution is that obtuse OTL

Futaba

This is a strong possibility. For all we know at this point, those phone calls may not be directly referencing anything to discover in the game, but rather highlighting mechanics introduced in the demo that will be fully realized in Resident Evil 7. Memories would be the VHS - using other tapes found in the full house to change the game. Power is choice - witnessing the game change based on the choices we make. Goodbye - well... I don't really know. Either way, it makes sense for these endings to be the only endings.

Then again, we did have the rep that said we could beat the game and get outside. He could have just been adding fuel to the fire though, since no other rep seemed to be as willing to speak on the subject as him.

If they retain the VHS mechanic then the memories hold the clues comment and power to choose comment fit perfectly, demonstrated by picking the lock in the VHS to gain access to the axe in current time, i imagine the final game will have a lot of time related puzzles like that where choosing to stop the tape at a certain point also plays a part too.

But personally, how I read the three phone messages is as such:

Memories hold the clues - Reference to being able to change the present with actions done in VHS and memorizing minor changes in past vs present situations.
Power to choose - Ability to stop the tape or continue, Example: you don't actually need to completely watch the tape to obtain the axe, if you exit the tape after unlocking the drawer and opening it, you can then access the axe without watching Andre die.
Have to say goodbye eventually - Reference to having to completely watch the tape at some point in order to accomplish certain goals - in the demos case, obtaining the back door key.

liquidtmd

Banned
Good Lord, what is happening in here?

Poster: Someone's made some progress, figured the ghost sightings

GAF: Someone's made progress? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of this infuriating quest? Localized entirely within the Kitchen?

Poster: Yes.

GAF: May we see it?

Poster: No.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Everyone that days the phone calls are different "endings" I don't think so at all because it takes you to the exact same cutscene each time. That is one ending. The different messages are vague clues that try to help the player alter what they have done to progress farther.

Maybe there is nothing else to the demo, and Capcom never realised the demo would gain this much traction. Now they are just scared to tell us the truth.

Or maybe there is more to the piano...

BroBot

Maybe we should try playing the game offline and changing the date in our settings to 7/7/17!! Or the day of the video tape???

Rellik

GAF: Someone's made progress? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of this infuriating quest? Localized entirely within the Kitchen?

People want to be known as the guy who figured it all out and become paranoid about others stealing their methods.

We've gone full crazy now.

Has anyone tried using the axe to knock paintings off the wall to see if there's a key hole?

During an interview I watched, one of the paintings while you're going down the stairs changed into pixels when they stopped to stare at it. It was a painting of a woman in a bonnet backwards.

It may be a glitch, but worth checking out.

Has anyone tried using the axe to knock paintings off the wall to see if there's a key hole?

During an interview I watched, one of the paintings while you're going down the stairs changed into pixels when they stopped to stare at it. It was a painting of a woman in a bonnet backwards.

Nah the axe has been taken to everything at this point

brau

i always thought that woman painting was weird.

Replication of the method failed so back to square one

Mannequin thing looks like its possibly another damn glitch

So yeah you could get 6/7 on a run... maybe even all seven but the spawns appear to just be there to surprise the player and have no significance in solving the puzzles

Sorry to get everyones hopes up. We got caught up in teh excitement but went through the trouble to try and solidify it and it didnt hold up

Top Bottom