• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Tain

Well there is still one ultimate solution that I can only try on Monday ....

Boot up the demo on a debug PS4 and switch on wireframe mode .

We'd immediately see where we need to be going.

But that'd be cheating.

i have a hard time believing the PS4 dev kits offer a system-wide "wireframe mode" debug option

Arunotaku

Neo Member
i have a hard time believing the PS4 dev kits offer a system-wide "wireframe mode" debug option

If this exist, it is not a documented feature... I am still asking to see it in action ^^ (and the part where you run retail code on SDK is much more touchy)

Venom Fox

Banned
I think we may have to do things in a very specific order. The quotes aren't random right? You have to have done certain things in order to unlock a quote.

I know who you are. Memories hold the truth, don't let them mislead you.
This is telling you that there's more to the VHS than meets the eye. It's telling you to look closer.
I know who you are. You will have to say goodbye eventually, but will you be ready?
This is telling us that we will have to leave the house eventually and that we are nearly there. But we also have more to do inside the house before we can leave.
I know who you are. You have the power to choose, but the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect.
We now have the power to complete the demo. There maybe an extra step after this in order to choose our path. I believe this is the best game state.

What do you think guys?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well there is still one ultimate solution that I can only try on Monday ....

Boot up the demo on a debug PS4 and switch on wireframe mode .

We'd immediately see where we need to be going.

But that'd be cheating.

So wait, you know how to do that on a PS4 but didn't know how to capture the last 15 minutes of gameplay on one?

084.png

brau

I was streaming with my headphones with virtual surround sound on last night.. and the ruckus sounded like it came from upstairs though, not the kitchen. That doesn't make sense though..

This is how i always read it... guy walks by.. goes through the kitchen... adds that mannequin to fall when you are close to the VHS cabinet, then families you when you try to leave the house using the key.

IMACOMPUTA

What happens when you just stare at Andre for the entire time while he's supposed to be taken?
He walks away and there's an invisible wall preventing you from staying close to him.

For the record, stuff like invisible walls, wonky physics, and items resetting to their original location mean there's really nothing here, it doesn't involve any objects with physics, or capcom did a bad job on this.

Flo_Evans

Watching the twitch, the producer mentions the baker family has a son. Lucas, but isn't the ghost a girl? maybe try saying lucas when the ghost appears.

Moofers

I think we may have to do things in a very specific order. The quotes aren't random right? You have to have done certain things in order to unlock a quote.

This is telling you that there's more to the VHS than meets the eye. It's telling you to look closer.

This is telling us that we will have to leave the house eventually and that we are nearly there. But we also have more to do inside the house before we can leave.

We know have the power to complete the demo. There maybe an extra step after this in order to choose our path. I believe this is the best game state.

What do you think guys?

I think you got it. I agree with all of this.

gafneo

Banned
If that's even real, it's not even a hint... we've fucking done that 1,000's of times already in different combos.

Whoever it was has a point. I restart the game doing the same methods, and a different message pops up on the phone. Maybe the goal is to repeat the same method without change for 7 tries.

Alright, I think I'm ready to say goodbye. I need to walk away...

I think if there is anything left to find in the demo, it's going to come from one of these places:

1. Is there a way to raise the stairs from the attic (i.e. a hidden "Stairs" button somewhere, possibly requiring the axe to find).

2. Can the chained-up cabinet be opened in the VHS? (are the bolt cutters hidden in the VHS? Is there a way to get them there?)

3. Can a seventh mannequin be spawned, and if so, can it be destroyed w/ the axe? Would destroying the four (theoretical) mannequins allow you to go out the back door?

4. Does using the piano or sink unlock anything, if events are done in the proper order?

But I feel like I've spent way too much time already trying to figure this all out. I'm not sure if there even is a solution, but good luck to everyone who keeps looking!

Xpliskin

*Sigh*

Ok I guess I should explain this.

There is no "system-wide" debug "menu" or "toggle" or whatever the fuck you guys are used to.

BUT, on a debug console, you have access to more things and let's say things are more easily "modified" (speaking as a programmer).

You can choose to use debug runtime libraries, that are more verbose and provide a whole lot more than the stripped optimised retail ones.

Or you can write a linux trainer that rearranges function pointers (since we have addresses with the debug info) to functions (I'm not gonna list copyrighted function signatures on here) that have the same signature but do more shit.

It's not entirely "allowed" but it's one of those things that you tinker around with because you have a debug console and want to try shit out.

So please, you and your neat enclosed "test consoles" or whatever the fuck you're using, "debug menus options", leave me the hell alone if you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm fucking saying this, because I've fucking done it on retail games in the past before.

Ok, I feel better now after ranting.

Phew.

hughesta

Banned
even if changing your date would cause a change, you should set the date to 2014 imo.

A family went missing three years back.
6/1 2014

6+1 =7
2+0+1+4=7

Guys.. pack it up...

2016-24-1466183639-capture-d-ecran-2016-06-17-19-03-18.png

"The 3 different calls are different endings"
Eh, that's not exactly official (though it wouldn't surprise me if they do consider those individual endings).

What we really need is for Jesse(?) Cox to follow-up on what he learned at E3. He claimed there were "4-5 endings in addition to the main one", and that he was told by one of the reps how to get one of those other endings.

That would at least clear up some of the misconceptions. Was he simply told how to get one of the different phone messages like we've already figured out, or does he actually know something that we don't?

Moofers

Just a thought I've been kicking around for a bit:

What if there are 7 states of the house? By this, I mean 7 ways the house exists with you in it.

State 1- Unpowered/Empty Fusebox
State 2- Fusebox fully powered, Stairs NOT activated
State 3- VHS state (only one state in VHS world because it apparently doesn't change)
State 4- Staircase Open, phone ringing
State 5- Key Obtained, Family Man on the loose
State 6- Phone answered, player still in room and yet to be "Family Son'd"
State 7- ???

So in continuing the theme of "7" being all over this demo, perhaps the last part we have to find is the lost 7th state?

Big Chungus

guys

phone = the ring

the ring ghost says "7 days"

resident evil 7!

7 days from the re7 demo release = june 20

06/20/2016

6 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 6 = 17

January 7th

My god...

Khaliss

Banned