• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

NeoRausch

Shit. I blame the fact that I've gotten about three hours of sleep since the demo launched.

No biggie, I think many brains are a fried mess at this point.

I think I'm going to try to get the fourth version of the call now. Well see...

Huh.... Couldn't get the third mannequin to spawn in the hallway....

Gonna upload the clip anyways.

Yeah just tried the steps in that order, have tried them in that same order before. Just gives me the you have the power to choose message.

OniBaka

So maybe you need to activate 1-7 in order.

1 might be the box under TV

2 might be the backside of the umbrella pic or perhaps the ear protection in vhs?

3 mannequins

4 cockroaches in the pot?

5 ??? boxes maybeperhaps

6 or 5 swarm of cockroaches where the key is

7 voodoo dolls

Pretty much what I was getting at.

Kouichi

I don't know if this has been established already, but the three phone calls are completely random. I just spent my time constantly just getting the fuse and running upstairs to answer the call, and I've managed to get all three multiple times.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know if this has been established already, but the three phone calls are completely random. I just spent my time constantly just getting the fuse and running upstairs to answer the call, and I've managed to get all three multiple times.

They are most certainly not completely random. One thing I tested over and over again between my runs was making the mannequin by the stairs spawn and not spawn altered between two messages.If you made it spawn, it would give you the memory message, if you make it not spawn, it would give you the choices message, every time.

I think there are other factors at play, but that is one thing which stayed incredibly consistent.

Kouichi

They are most certainly not completely random. One thing I tested over and over again between my runs was making the mannequin by the stairs spawn and not spawn altered between two messages.If you made it spawn, it would give you the memory message, if you make it not spawn, it would give you the choices message, every time.

I think there are other factors at play, but that is one thing which stayed incredibly consistent.

Huh that's interesting. It's also odd that there are factors that trigger certain calls, but if you do nothing important you can still get all three. Has there been a video for this supposed fourth call yet?

Dusk Golem

BIG CLUE found by someone on Reddit

Ck_ieLKUkAA78bC.jpg:large

There are certain things hidden on the wall you can only see when you cast a shadow onto it, which you can manage to do by holding the axe in front of you with L2. Maybe it's not coincidence also an Axe is conveniently shaped like a 7.

I can't look right now, but more people confirming. See if any of you guys do, but if so, oh my.

More people looking into this now.

Kalentan

There are certain things hidden on the wall you can only see when you cast a shadow onto it, which you can manage to do by holding the axe in front of you with L2.

Damn! Wish I wasn't at work! Want to check this out!

Phenomic

There are certain things hidden on the wall you can only see when you cast a shadow onto it, which you can manage to do by holding the axe in front of you with L2. Maybe it's not coincidence also an Axe is conveniently shaped like a 7.

I can't look right now, but more people confirming. See if any of you guys do, but if so, oh my.

You know I was watching my buddy stream it on twitch on the first night and I feel like when he went up to that wall and I swear in the reflection i thought I saw a word written very faintly, but I just shrugged it off and didn't bother pressing the issue. It'll be interesting to see if something actually does come from that. Makes me wish I had gone back and looked a little more. I dunno what he did though during that particular playthrough so now its tough to go back and try to recreate it.

What exactly am I looking at here? The circle on the wall?

Dusk Golem

What exactly am I looking at here? The circle on the wall?

When you get the Axe, you can press L2 to hold it in front of you. There are a few light sources in the demo, but holding the axe in front of you casts a shadow. If this is real and not a few users trolling in effort (I would check right now but I share my PS4 with my brother/roommate and it's his room and he's sleeping), then there may be symbols and things you can only see on the wall through a shadow.

Which might mean the Axe wasn't meant to destroy anything all along, that was to misguide us, what we're supposed to use it for is to cast its shadow to find something hidden on the walls.

Dusk Golem

Wow gonna check that axe thing out now!

Please do, I can't check right now, want to make sure it's not users posting fake whatevers to troll others, but if it's true, then oh my, I certainly hadn't thought of that. Grrr, hoping my roommate wakes up soon if true.

Callego

Please do, I can't check right now, want to make sure it's not users posting fake whatevers to troll others, but if it's true, then oh my, I certainly hadn't thought of that. Grrr, hoping my roommate wakes up soon if true.
The axe shadow works, playing it right now.
I'm trying to look in other areas, but even with my brightness all the way up the shadow is often too dark to see the wall.

Kouichi

Yeah it worked when I increased the brightness. You also can't get too close as the shadow becomes too dark to see the circle.

Dusk Golem

The axe shadow works, playing it right now.
I'm trying to look in other areas, but even with my brightness all the way up the shadow is often too dark to see the wall.

Yeah it worked when I increased the brightness. You also can't get too close as the shadow becomes too dark to see the circle.

Oh my, thanks for confirming.

Time to see if he wakes up soon to skim everything with goddamn axe shadows.

Dusk Golem

someone posted this hours ago but people brushed it off as a texture bug since it appears on both walls.

It certainly doesn't look like a texture error from the picture, I can say that. It also would explain what the clue meant by the axe needed for use in the attic under certain conditions, while the axe breaking stuff doesn't seem to lead to anything.

Neff

There's a bunch of shapes on that wall when viewed through the axe, what looks like a chunky lower case 'i', which seems too specific to be a glitch, and a couple of horizontal slits to the left.

Edit: actually there's whole bunch of faint vertical lines under the shadow too, which could be a glitch, but the circle + oblong 'i' shape is really bold and specific-looking.

Kazuhira

what are we looking at here? i'm too dumb to see it.

These were found yesterday and we discussed them in the thread, you can actually see these markings just the outskirts of your flashlights illumination too.

Dusk Golem

what are we looking at here? i'm too dumb to see it.

Scribbled on the wall is a notable O looking shape and a fainter, almost cross or i shape there.

I don't know what the symbols themselves mean, but there seems to be marks on the wall you can see by holding the Axe in front of you and looking where it casts its shadow.

These were found yesterday and we discussed them in the thread, you can actually see these markings just the outskirts of your flashlights illumination too.

I was asleep for a while yesterday and then out, but I hadn't seen anyone else discussing this or acting like this might lead to anything, while others are looking at scratch marks and item numbers. It seems like it might lead to something to me, especially if it disappears if you get too close, but I won't know myself until I fiddle around more.

Jake2by4

watching a stream, guy is doing it but nothing is happening,

Scribbled on the wall is a notable O looking shape and a fainter, almost cross or i shape there.

I don't know what the symbols themselves mean, but there seems to be marks on the wall you can see by holding the Axe in front of you and looking where it casts its shadow.

I was asleep for a while yesterday and then out, but I hadn't seen anyone else discussing this or acting like this might lead to anything, while others are looking at scratch marks and item numbers. It seems like it might lead to something to me, especially if it disappears if you get too close, but I won't know myself until I fiddle around more.

Not 100% sure if they intentional, as you can repeat them on a similar textured wall, but not quite as prominent as in that room. Thought to be a bug with the lighting engine, but who knows. Play around with your positioning and when your character is shining the light and you can see many more markings than just the 0 too, but they don't look like anything important.

Dusk Golem

There's a bunch of shapes on that wall when viewed through the axe, what looks like a chunky lower case 'i', which seems too specific to be a glitch, and a couple of horizontal slits to the left.

Edit: actually there's whole bunch of faint vertical lines under the shadow too, which could be a glitch, but the circle + oblong 'i' shape is really bold and specific-looking.

I'll have to look to see if it seems like a glitch or not myself (again, can't check until later), but some of this seems too specific. I also will add I am reminded of Evil Within's DLC, which had a shadow/light mechanic which made a glitchy looking effect to make walls disappear, and potentially if its lines this might also might work with the demo's VHS thematic, as lines are common on VHS tapes. Just a thought.

But it may be unrelated. Again, I have no idea what it would lead to, but as someone who literally spent time looking in every nook and cranny for an hour in both the regular and VHS world, I didn't notice this at all or even think of it. And with the clue the Axe is for the attic in a specific way, has me thinking the unorthodox quality of it might be onto something.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Yes I checked out the markings and seems to be a texture bug of some sort, especially if the axe isn't needed to see it.

kc44135

Interesting.

Dusk Golem

A shame if it's just a texture glitch. I'll be a fool and check all over later as well. I was secretly hoping it might be related to this which flashes in the RE7 trailer really briefly.

ptbPLrf.png

Manu

Quoting myself since it went unnoticed:

Wait, one of the messages on the phone is "you have the choice to change things" or something like that, right?

What if, right after hanging up but before Family Man appears, we pause and hit Retry? Has anyone tried that?

gafneo

Banned
That's what fell out of the fridge!? I couldn't tell what it was the first time, and I stopped opening the fridge after my second run.

I also really think there's something we need to do in the VHS cause of that whole "memories hold the truth," line you can get when you answer the phone. I'm just not sure what. I tried opening the locked door near the TV room with the lockpick but it doesn't work. Maybe there's something else we can unlock with that pick other than the drawer to the axe?

Maybe the line from the phone is the objective you need to follow once you go back to the video.

kc44135

I found something kinda random just now. Probably not at all important, but in the very first room you start in, there are two syringes on a table, and they have either text or numbers on them. I couldn't make it out, unfortunately. Anyone know what it says?

Kazuhira

Can you drop items like the axe? I can't play the demo unfortunately.
Kinda wondering if the family man leaves you in a room you can visit before the attic scene.
I thought something crazy like dropping the axe(if you can even do that) so the other guy can free you faster and escape before the monster kills them.

ethomaz

Banned
Kinda wondering if the family man leaves you in a room you can visit before the attic scene.
I thought something crazy like dropping the axe(if you can even do that) so the other guy can free you faster and escape before the monster kills them.
You can't drop because the option is grayed/disabled.

I tried with every item.

There is a discard option in the demo, but its not available for use in any scenario anyone has found yet. Seems to be more placeholder.

Ashtrax

just wanting to confirm the photo in the phone room.

I got a trigger click sound after looking at the photo for a while, AFTER I used the phone to get a message when it rang. It allowed me to leave the room without triggering the family man game over screen.

Fuser

Can somebody tell me why the mannequin I'm the hallway/near tape want triggered? What did I miss?

https://youtu.be/l7O3xDrZCr0
The hallway mannequin is linked to you picking up the key after the VHS section.

None of this is new but while on the subject:
On first flight of stairs, go up before using the fuse. Three Mannequins face the wall, go and look at the desk where the headphones are in the VHS section, mannequins turn around. Use switch (prior to fuse) and a forth mannequin appears behind you. You can destroy this one.

Upstairs in phone room, mannequin appears after looking at chopper photo. You can destroy this one, but unlike the others it keeps respawning every time you go back down stairs. I think this one must do something otherwise why would it keep returning...?

I haven't been able to get the forth phonecall, followed all the steps but kept changing the last bit (used pot, tap, piano) to try and trigger something else. No joy.

edit -
I got a trigger click sound after looking at the photo for a while, AFTER I used the phone to get a message when it rang. It allowed me to leave the room without triggering the family man game over screen.
Same here, he then got me on the floor below.

I wonder if there is an office full of people at Capcom thinking "oh shit, the internet is thinking there is something else. Develop something, quick!".

Dusk Golem

4ad2d8006546fe9e5186e8f6240cbdde.png

The thing to the left is from the video Callego posted above, to the right is something that flashes really quickly in the RE7 trailer along with a four above it.

bd7bb8bc7ac3811e41d3744a69c977ea.png

I'm suspicious.

Top Bottom