• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
But there is a Republic...

It's in like the third line of the opening crawl.

The Republic was formed after Endor, demilitarized sometime after but they still secretly fund the Resistance (led by Leia) who carry out clandestine operations against the FO

There isn't a Republic any more.

Also they didn't demilitarize, someone says the Starkiller strike wipes out their "precious fleet".

aliengmr

Does anyone else feel that this being A New Hope 2.0 not only weakens this storyline but also weakens the OT. The fact that the First Order is strong enough to build a Starkiller and there isn't a Republic makes it feel like what the gang did in the OT wasn't all that special.

That is my biggest disappointment.

No, but there had better not be an ESB 2.0. As a "reboot" of sorts it works as a jumping off point. A way to get everyone on the same page. Here on though they nee to forge a new path as much as possible.

The key here was characters and they did that very well.

Also, the First Order seems to be very similar to the Imperial remnant of the old EU (at least surface level). The Battle of Endor didn't wipe out the Empire.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
But there is a Republic...

It's in like the third line of the opening crawl.

The Republic was formed after Endor, demilitarized sometime after but they still secretly fund the Resistance (led by Leia) who carry out clandestine operations against the FO

You never really get a sense that there is an established Republic in this film once. It feels like it is in the same political state as it once was in A New Hope.

Thats exactly what I think and thats what I like about Kylo Ren. He is supposed to be the new bad guy but he just isn't Darth Vader, he has a lot of flaws, and thats because he is still young and is not experienced enough, I do think however he is my age about 26-29.

Ren was a Battle Of Endor Celebration Night baby, confirmed.

jett

D-Member
Saw this post on GameFAQs, it's beautiful lol.

giphy.gif

Estocolmo

Thinking about it more, I love love love what they did with Kylo Ren. His first appearance shows how absolutely intimidating and powerful he is, but as the movie progressed, that was slowly peeled away as his instability became more apparent. Seeing a villain being the one with the constant confliction was one of the most interesting parts of the movie for me. I mean seduction by the light? How cool was that line?

I agree! Everyone that that Kylo Ren was going to be the new Darth Vader but he is actually very unstable and insecure and shows it in the first film, unlike Darth Vader who turned to the good side in his last scene in Episode 6.

golem

Yeah I got the impression that Snoke was on some next level thinking that was above the petty nature of the First Order.

In the novel Snoak confirms he has existed since before the Galactic Empire, so yeah hes on some next level scheming

Also Leia reveals that she knew Ben had been targeted by him for corruption to the Dark side.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Am I the only one who thinks Phasma will become a "good guy"? It feels set up for it. Can't become an enemy that would actually be threatening, otherwise we would all think about "oh they should have killed her in the first movie". You can't do that.

Answering shit like this is what got us the prequels.

Not everything has to be shown on screen in 5000pt Times New Roman.

Sorry, I disagree. Luke's saber went down a hole in cloud city. The fact that it's a weapon with so much history and is a catalyst for Rey's journey towards her usage of the force is the reason why it should be explained as far as to what happened to it. That little orange lady wasn't just holding onto it for shit's and giggles.

Keeping in tandem with the title of the movie, it seems the Force users in TFA are stronger than those that have come before them. No force users in the PT and OT have been seen stopping lasers or fully paralyzing a standing person. It would be within the realm of Yoda and Palpatine's abilities to do so, but we never see it, and given Ren and Ray are relatively new Force users and they're already exhibiting quick mastery of their powers it's safe to say that the 'awakening' of the Force may be happening on a universal level.

Or it's just movie magic and Ray/Ren are powerful in their arts just because cool factor.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they have mastery over it. But I do believe both (at least Kylo) possess more raw power than anyone we've seen in the previous 6 episodes. Both need to be trained. And that's what makes me really excited about Kylo, because he's overly emotional and unstable, but clearly powerful. It will be interesting to watch how he progresses with all that potential he has with the force.

Thinking about it more, I love love love what they did with Kylo Ren. His first appearance shows how absolutely intimidating and powerful he is, but as the movie progressed, that was slowly peeled away as his instability became more apparent. Seeing a villain being the one with the constant confliction was one of the most interesting parts of the movie for me. I mean seduction by the light? How cool was that line?

Agreed. Which is kinda reflected in his lightsaber. It looks like a hackjob, something that is barely contained and lacks polish, just like its owner.

El Topo

Am I the only one who thinks Phasma will become a "good guy"? It feels set up for it. Can't become an enemy that would actually be threatening, otherwise we would all think about "oh they should have killed her in the first movie". You can't do that.

I don't know. I assume she can't really return to the First Order after her failure, so maybe she'll go on a quest for personal vengeance (to "redeem" herself)?

Sorry, I disagree. Luke's saber went down a hole in cloud city

Or it clattered to the bottom of whatever that was they were on. We never saw it enter anything.

There is a bottom to Cloud City. It's not just open to the gas clouds underneath it. There are holes that can vent stuff INTO those clouds (and pull stuff out of them, being that it's a mining facility) but just because something fell from that gantry doesn't guarantee it went into the clouds below.

jett

D-Member
It's interesting that Finn falls in love with the first person to show him genuine compassion. It's interesting that Stormtroopers are raised from birth. Thankfully they ditched the idea that Stormtroopers are all clones.

Well, these Stormtroopers, at any rate. Luke was talking about joining the imperial fleet in ANH, so they are regular-ass people too.

MogCakes

You never really get a sense that there is an established Republic in this film once. It feels like it is in the same political state as it once was in A New Hope.

Forming a galactic republic as the princess of a now-destroyed Alderaan isn't going to be quite easy to manage in even 30 years. Leia doesn't have the political charisma or underhanded scheming that Palpatine had to create the Empire so quickly.

Surfinn

Loved Ren. Agree with this post fully.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't know. I assume she can't really return to the First Order after her failure, so maybe she'll go on a quest for personal vengeance (to "redeem" herself)?

If that's her path, it would lead her to either eventually give up on vengeance, or never be threatening/taken seriously. One way or another, this character can't really become a threat to Finn and co. again, at least not a serious one. Feels more like she would be the kind of character who is constantly trying to attack the heroes but always fails in self-defacing comical ways (not sure what the trope name is for that).

My guess is Finn will attract her, she'll wonder how he managed to betray the order and will want out in the same way.

OmegaFax

It's interesting that Finn falls in love with the first person to show him genuine compassion. It's interesting that Stormtroopers are raised from birth. Thankfully they ditched the idea that Stormtroopers are all clones.

Kylo Ren threatened General Hux with the idea of using clones again. It seemed like Hux prided himself in raising individuals with his ideals rather than just clone them.

T-0800

Someone questioned why Ren wears a mask....Hello!!! He looks up to vader, to a point he talks to him and emulates him in every way.

Also it's done intentionally that abrams shows how powerful ren is but how vulnerable he is emotionally and with emotions playing such a huge part in the force is not hard to see him flailing about in the final act.

Is anyone questioning why Stormtroopers wear a mask? I don't see why him wearing a mask is any different.

MogCakes

But I do believe both (at least Kylo) possess more raw power than anyone we've seen in the previous 6 episodes.

That's what I think the movie's title is alluding to. That there will be more Force users coming into being over the course of the trilogy and that the power of these users will be a step above those that came before.

So pretty off-topic, but what's the best way to see ROTJ without the horrible "Noooooooooo" in the throne room from Vader? The power of that scene was always in Vader's silence, and Lucas went and screwed that up. I mean do I have to go back to the DVD special editions to see that scene without that additional voiceover?

How old do we think Ben Solo was when he turned rogue, and how big could they stretch the age gap between Ben and Rey in a pinch?

I'm wondering if Rey could be Ben's younger sister, with Leia pregnant with her unbeknownst to Han when Han took off. Would explain why Han was kind of indifferent to Rey, but there was such a strong connection between Leia and Rey shown in the movie.

With Kylo Ren on the warpath it would make sense that Leia might try to hide a child, putting her on Jakku with Max Van Sydow watching over her from a distance. Maybe? Or perhaps she entrusted Rey to Luke and he took those steps.

Blader

I wouldn't go so far as to say they have mastery over it. But I do believe both (at least Kylo) possess more raw power than anyone we've seen in the previous 6 episodes. Both need to be trained. And that's what makes me really excited about Kylo, because he's overly emotional and unstable, but clearly powerful. It will be interesting to watch how he progresses with all that potential he has with the force.

Kylo does seem much stronger than Vader, but it could just be that Vader was more restrained. Or maybe Vader, being mostly machine, really was just that much weaker.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is anyone questioning why Stormtroopers wear a mask? I don't see why him wearing a mask is any different.

I can picture Kylo taking multiple blasters shots right in the dome and not even flinching with how heavy his helmet is.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Obi-Wan had trained Luke with the little lazer droid at least.

The whole thing with light sabers is they're fucking weird. The blade is weightless and super treacherous. You don't actually have to make big wind up sweeping strikes because you don't need to put any momentum behind the blade. Maneuvering a light saber is totally unlike maneuvering any other melee weapon.

In the OT tho, the lightsabers are supposed to be heavy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom