• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this day in 2006, The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 aired in Japan, meaning that The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya is now 10 years old. From this point onward, anime... would never be the same.

This is the chronological order of all episodes in both seasons.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI (Season 1)
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Season 2)
Mystérique Sign (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome I (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome II (Season 1)
Endless Eight 1 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 2 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 3 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 4 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 5 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 6 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 7 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 8 (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 2)
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 (Season 1)
Live Alive (Season 1)
The Day of Sagittarius (Season 1)
Someday in the Rain (Season 1)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Film)

I'd suggest watching Episode 00 first, and then watching the rest of the show in chronological order. Remember, you have to watch all of Endless Eight to get the full experience.

Line_HTX

Mikuru Beam~

Oh that day, 10 years ago... The world got overwhelmed by the first Light Novel adaptation that became a global sensation.

BWONG!

BluWacky

Mikuru Beam~

Oh that day, 10 years ago... The world got overwhelmed by the first Light Novel adaptation that became a global sensation.

BWONG!

Except for Slayers!

Man, ten years. I was so pleased, back in my anime blogging days, to beat Random Curiosity to watching and reviewing the first episode of Haruhi. Wasn't really my cup of tea - too much anime-characterisation-by-numbers, particularly for Mikuru and Haruhi.

I ended up watching the first series a year or so later just to say I'd seen it; it still wasn't really my thing.

Quasar

Lost Village 1 - Well...thats an awful lot of introductions. Now to decide if it goes locked room murder mystery or lord of the flies.

Dagashi Kashi 12 - So thats it. Mild amusement continues. I'm not sure I've seen a show so episodic in a long time. Even most comedies I've seen have a plotline of some sort. That said I continued to be entertained by Hotaru.

Line_HTX

Except for Slayers!

Man, ten years. I was so pleased, back in my anime blogging days, to beat Random Curiosity to watching and reviewing the first episode of Haruhi. Wasn't really my cup of tea - too much anime-characterisation-by-numbers, particularly for Mikuru and Haruhi.

I ended up watching the first series a year or so later just to say I'd seen it; it still wasn't really my thing.

I got swept up by it too at the time, and even rewatched all of it localized plus the various spinoffs like Haruhi-chan and Nyoron.

The Sigh almost made me drop it entirely. For some reason that made me the angriest at the whole series, but then Disappearance brought me back and I left the fad on a good note, lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the better productions I have seen from Koyto Animation, which means I liked it while thinking it was grossly overrated. Still, me not wishing the property be shot into the sun like say Lucky Star or K-On! pleases me.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
On this day in 2006, The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 aired in Japan, meaning that The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya is now 10 years old. From this point onward, anime... would never be the same.

This is the chronological order of all episodes in both seasons.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI (Season 1)
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Season 2)
Mystérique Sign (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome I (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome II (Season 1)
Endless Eight 1 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 2 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 3 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 4 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 5 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 6 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 7 (Season 2)
Endless Eight 8 (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 2)
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 (Season 1)
Live Alive (Season 1)
The Day of Sagittarius (Season 1)
Someday in the Rain (Season 1)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Film)

I'd suggest watching Episode 00 first, and then watching the rest of the show in chronological order. Remember, you have to watch all of Endless Eight to get the full experience.

I will never forget endless eight. A short story in the book somehow got 8 episode adaptation. What a beautiful troll.

Dagashi Kashi 12

Saya x Hotaru OTP
Fun series. I love candy trivia and Hotaru being dagashi otaku. Wouldn't mind another season of it.
After i finished watching this episode, i just noticed that Coconuts and Tou 'bro highfive' is actually rock paper scissor

So Concrete Revolutio will actually be airing here in America, via Funimation stream, two days before it airs in Japan.

It's a bit amusing because Concrete Revolutio is a show that constantly makes reference to history, but the history of Japan in particular.

Defuser

Looks like they finally updated the final episode of Grimgar.
20160402164258a2asasodd.jpg

14922801_201604021644nfrbv.jpg

I always knew that scene is wierd.

phaze

Rakugo END

Savage.

Okay ending to a genuinely good show. I must say that, having the mystery that was dangled right before my eyes at the beginning of the show be still unresolved after 11 episodes long flashback, peeves me off a little bit. The time starved present day storyline capping it all it of only underscored how incomplete it is so far, especially with how the last episode ended and after Sukeroku's all knowing smile in this one.

jonjonaug

Rakugo END

Savage.

Okay ending to a genuinely good show. I must say that, having the mystery that was dangled right before my eyes at the beginning of the show be still unresolved after 11 episodes long flashback, peeves me off a little bit. The time starved present day storyline capping it all it of only underscored how incomplete it is so far, especially with how the last episode ended and after Sukeroku's all knowing smile in this one.

Season 2's been confirmed.

pbayne

New best Asuka is in WWE. Holy shit she's scary but awesome.

Mayoiga 1

Made it about 7 minutes in and nah not for me. Im surprised this isn't based on a VN.

Though I did enjoy the characters "shit we got 10 seconds to get our gimmicks across" and horror movie style trying to guess who's gonna die out of everyone in what order.

Nice to see the have fixed some of the animation problems with the show.
The folowing scene still makes me laugh ;
BWnkpIU.gif

Makes me wonder why they went with something like that instead of using a bunch of scenery stillshots from past episodes. It would be still obvious as hell but not that laughable.

Qurupeke

Gyakuten Saiban 1

I forgot they'd obviously use the Japanese names... And this was a pretty awful OP.

The anime is really close to the games. Maybe a bit too close. Same sound effects, use of text and icons from the game. It even has the confetti when you get the Non Guilty verdict. And while I like how the comedy is in the games, it feels a bit anticlimatic in the anime.

It was a bit better than I expected though and while the animation isn't impressive, it's not terrible.

Gyakuten Saiban - 1

CfCMFrVWEAAOksc.jpg:large

I cannot wait until we get to some of the later stuff with the judge.

That was great. The humour, the expressions, the music, it was all there.

The animation wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

jgminto

Started watching the first episode of Ace Attorney but got bored halfway through. I'd get more out of replaying the games than watching a low quality adaptation of early cases.

Gyakuten Saiban 1

I forgot they'd obviously use the Japanese names... And this was a pretty awful OP.

The anime is really close to the games. Maybe a bit too close. Same sound effects, use of text and icons from the game. It even has the confetti when you get the Non Guilty verdict. And while I like how the comedy is in the games, it feels a bit anticlimatic in the anime.

It was a bit better than I expected though and while the animation isn't impressive, it's not terrible.

It's unfortunate that this anime has decided to take the Danganronpa method of "Here's a Let's Play of the game on fast forward" than any more inspired adaptation. A-1 really rushed this one out.

Black Hat

It's unfortunate that this anime has decided to take the Danganronpa method of "Here's a Let's Play of the game on fast forward" than any more inspired adaptation. A-1 really rushed this one out.

Yeah... agree with the "fast forward" comment. Pacing was terrible.

Hopefully the other cases are better paced than the intro.

It doesn't surprise me that they decided to speed things up a bit with the first case. The First Turnabout is more or less a tutorial mission that establishes basic things, along with it only having one witness.

What I'm looking forward to is how they'll handle some of the later key moments of the game and the other witnesses.

It doesn't surprise me that they decided to speed things up a bit with the first case. The First Turnabout is more or less a tutorial mission that establishes basic things, along with it only having one witness.

What I'm looking forward to is how they'll handle some of the later key moments of the game and the other witnesses.

It's not even the pacing that's the biggest problem, so much as the verbatim copying of so many game interface elements. If you're going to do that why even bother to "animate" it? Just have the voice actors read their lines over game footage.

It's not even the pacing that's the biggest problem, so much as the verbatim copying of so many game interface elements. If you're going to do that why even bother to "animate" it? Just have the voice actors read their lines over game footage.

I like that they do that. It adds to the nostalgia factor.

Plus the show being animated allows for some of the more wacky personalities in the game to be more emphasized and exaggerated.

I'm looking forward to see how the show will handle Oldbag, Lotta, and April May.

Defuser

Phoenix Wright ep 1

oh god, that cgi court is vomit inducing. I still think Yuki Kaji is a bad fit for Phoenix Wright, his voice doesn't seem to fit his physical stature and frame.

I can't blame them for finishing case 1 on one episode, it is rather short for a case where he has to present little evidence and it's only 1 trial. Did the show ever stated how many cours this would be? I don't think 1 cour is enough to do 2 games,hell I don't even think 2 cours is enough.

Although the anime is base on the game, I wish they will cut down on the game elements, it's rather annoying...not everything you have to lift out of the game.

Sölf

Ace Attorney 01
That was okay. Could have been better, but eh, I guess it's okay. It doesn't help that the first case is obvious from the very beginning because they just show the murderer. OP was bad, ED was good. I will definitly continue with this.

Eh, let's see how this turn out later. The only obvious thing that was missing from the first case
was the fact that the statue was hand made. In the game, the witness argues that he knew it was a clock because he saw it in a shop. Which is if course impossible, becaus Larry made the clock himself and there exist only 2 in the world.
But it's not that important and I think cutting this made no difference. Also, the first case in the game doesn't take longer than 30-45 minutes. So I think this was okay. I am more interested in how the investigation is handled. So I am intrigued how they handle the second case.

pbayne

Ace Attorney 1

A bit disspointed it seems to be just the game's story. Could have used the manga just to give people something different or mix things up a bit. Bad OP.

It was still a bit of fun to see everyone literally force push each other in court. I think the character designs were translated really well too.

Qurupeke

If they're really adapting the first two games in 12-13 episodes, it will be incredibly rushed and they'll probably skip some things. If not, it could get a lot boring. I'd really love to see some of the characters in AA2, and the final trial is amazing, but the anime will likely fail on making it stand out. I just hope it will be tolerable and not a disservice to the games.

Sölf

If they're really adapting the first two games in 12-13 episodes, it will be incredibly rushed and they'll probably skip some things. If not, it could get a lot boring. I'd really love to see some of the characters in AA2, and the final trial is amazing, but the anime will likely fail on making it stand out. I just hope it will be tolerable and not a disservice to the games.

To be fair, they could cut out AA1 case 3 and probably also AA2 case 1 and 3 completely, as nothing of value would really be lost in the overall storyline. But even then, 12-13 episodes would be pushing it, as the fourth case in each game is pretty long.

Szadek

Ace Attorney - Ep. 1
Yeah, it's not very good.
They obviously put very little affort in adapting the game.
Many things that work fine in the game just look completely terrible in an anime.
Nevermind that it looks pretty bad in general. They couldn't even make a proper transition at the ending of the OP.

jgminto

I could deal with the poor animation quality for AA if they went with new court cases instead of direct adaptation. Theres nothing to get excited about with a low quality rehash.

Lexxism

How are you feeling about the series so far?
It's not purely baseball show but I'm definitely enjoying the series. Even though I didn't like Wakaba's death, the writer definitely did a good job on it being part of the story line. It becomes the core of the 2 protagonist.

edit: Oh, I really liked the opening song 😳

Just T

Dagashi Kashi: 12

That was straight. In the beginning thought this show would be way funnier so was disappointed by that, it can still be entertaining though beyond the rough patches. Would be fine with it not coming back.

Ace Attorney 01

I kinda expected it, but the whole case was just a continuous infodump, there's no real time to think and reflect on all the evidence since there's no court record in which you can analyse pieces of evidence at your own pace. And even if you try to connect the dots yourself, it's going to be harder to focus on what's currently presented, so you'll miss out on the comedy and new plot points.

What I'm trying to say is that this doesn't really work as an anime, since you can't do things yourself there's a lack of a personal investment. Just play the games instead.

It's also super ugly, people flying away was fun though, glad they expanded on that part of the game.

Phoenix is such a big man right now.

Video is unavailable in my country T.T

But it's not hard to create a better MC than the one in the original, so I'm looking forward to this spinoff(?).

To be fair the MC of Working ended up being just the driving force for the rest of the amazing cast. This new season with a new cast of characters I'm not crazy about the design of them, but as long as the MC can be interesting and there isn't a violent man hater who loses all progress of her development in the second season AND there isn't a woman who is more dense than a GOD DAMN neutron star then it's all good.

Still not sure how to feel without my sexy smoking cook. All this cast looks way too happy and young.

Grexeno

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 01

Oh my god this is going to be so fucking good.

Ace Attorney 01

Oh my god this is going to be so fucking bad.

This is going to be the most Monkey's Paw thing of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom