• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

IIRC Lot of the scenes in E3 2013 were target renders, not actual gameplay. Not 100% sure about it though.

Some details are here:

http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-man-in-charge-of-final-fantasy-1680386455

Schreier: So there was something I was a bit confused about as far as the whole timeline here… could you clarify exactly when you started working on Type-0 HD and exactly when Final Fantasy Versus transformed into Final Fantasy XV? When did you take over?

Tabata: I started being involved in the project around July 2012, when we were starting to shift from Versus to the actual XV project. At the time, with regards to Versus, we were considering it for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and in developing for [those platforms], we were kind of struggling to achieve what we wanted to achieve with this particular title. And so the first mission that I received was to create a prototype for the now current-gen consoles.

Schreier: And that was also in July?

Tabata: Yes, the time I started working on the prototype was July 2012, and at the time the details weren't announced for new-gen systems. So my team and I made assumptions and worked on the Windows PC DirectX 11 engine to build this prototype. The result of that was actually shown in the 2013 E3 gameplay trailer; what you see in there is what we were working on.

At the time that the E3 trailer was shown, that's when we announced the whole title shift from Versus to XV, and after that, I started working on bringing together the team that was working on the Luminous engine as well as the team that was working on XV. And so I worked toward strengthening the team and combining the engine team with the dev team, so they could move towards working together. It was combining the Luminous engine and the Ebony engine—Ebony being the one that was the E3 prototype version—and combining those, and then shifting towards optimizing and working towards the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

With regards to Type-0 HD, when we were looking into and evaluating the new development environment for XV, we also evaluated what would potentially be possible for a Type-0 HD remake, in terms of the specs that we could achieve. So once that was done, actual development for the title started around November or December of 2013. We've gotten up to this point in a little over a year.

Bousf

I am expecting big FFXV stuff, which leads me to believe they'll focus on it and Western stuff. As for XV's release, I'm expecting a window rather than a date, but who knows....I'll be shocked if the game ships during the 1st half of next year, 2nd half is the expected, 2017 and we riot.

FFXII HD has to happen (SE PLEASE) but I think TGS would be the ideal spot for it.

You think this is pre-rendered?

U5fv1Oj.gif

Now that I put it in gif form, that does look pretty dang good
not pre-rendered though
Look at the HUD

It's probably just a snazzy cutscene

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think he meant same time as PS4/One versions.

Oh, right.
Well... Rockstar obviously wanted to coast on console sales a bit more. Not that it mattered for them because people were willing to triple dip even with a constantly delayed release.

BreakAtmo

The original guy who made that claim in the first place got the locations mixed up completely. The whole part with this

isn't part of anything FFVXIII, and isn't the escape from Inomniac thing he mentioned. Tabata never said he cut story stuff from early XV trailers.

This is the thing about the Insomnia escape I was thinking of. I did get mixed up on the locations. Part of it is that while the specific scene mentioned is from FFVXIII, the E3 2013 FFXV prototype footage also had Insomnia stuff. Maybe that's from later in the game like he says?

http://www.*****************/2015/0...ged-from-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-heres-how/ edit: I don't know why the DualShockers link isn't working but it's from the June 4 ATR.

During the latest Active Time Report broadcast, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata explained that the story has been changed from the original Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Tabata-san wanted a complete and coherent story that could fit in its entirety in a single game. The team tried to retain as many elements as possible that were already publicized, and also considered what was feasible on the new hardware.

They remained as faithful as possible to the original scenario by Kazushige Nojima, and Nojima-san himself has been consulted extensively about this, but there have been some changes, including a few main points:

The team found it difficult to fit Stella in Final Fantasy XV, so she won’t be included in the game. They instead created a new heroine, Luna, who has a different role in the game. We’ll hear more about her in the future.
The sequence in Final Fantasy Versus XIII in which the capital city of Insomnia is attacked by enemy troops after the party in the castle. That scene is no more part of the game. In Final Fantasy XV Noctis and his friends leave Insomnia before the attack.
There will still be gameplay set in Insomnia, but it won’t be around the same time line. Tabata-san promised that they will be great, and encouraged fans to look forward to them.
The black-haired woman and the female dragoon showcased in previous reveals are still in the game and have an important role in the story.

This show'll have to not be a dud for them, same as every trade show for the foreseeable future till they get some of these games out in a timely fashion.

Burbeting

Banned
I will quote this again.

I thought pre-rendered meant cutscenes. I doubt this whole gameplay trailer was pre-rendered stuff.

Yeah, I remember this trailer was suppousedly real gameplay, so your claim would be true (except if Square just tampered with camera angles).

Target render itself means "showing footage that is close to what game will look like in the future" aka. rendering footage that looks like future gameplay. So it would be different from pre-rendered cut scenes.

Kinda confused at this point what was real and what was not, I guess.

gosoxtim

if you guys expect any kingdom hearts news there don't disapoint yourself you best bet is at one of the d23's ,tgs or at jump fiesta

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ITS HAPPENING!

BELIEXVE!

CHHHAAAAAAAARRRGGGEEEEEE!!!!

I really hope they show something that can restore my confidence in what they're doing. No more tech demos, no more parading on about fan feedback or "what ifs/we're still thinking about thats" - just make the game and present it without hesitation. Do what the KH3 team is doing, basically.

Elios83

Probably I've already said this in some FFXV related discussions but things I want to see atm are:

*Gameplay in a big city
*Magic system implemented
*Release date announced (even if it's just a 2016 commitment).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Probably I've already said this in some FFXV discussion but things I want to see are:

*Gameplay in a big city
*Magic system implemented
*Release date announced (even if it's just a 2016 commitment).

They should be announcing the release year and season.

Burbeting

Banned
I really hope they show something that can restore my confidence in what they're doing. No more tech demos, no more parading on about fan feedback or "what ifs/we're still thinking about thats" - just make the game and present it without hesitation. Do what the KH3 team is doing, basically.

Hesitation is good word for what bugs me most about the FF15 as a production right now. The team doesn't feel to be confident in their product, which is kinda shame because I liked Episode Duscae overall. Just don't keep remaking stuff every single time fans complain, that will lead to a production that'll never end.

Not whole trailer, "only" the Accordo parts.

"Only" the Accordo parts? Are you talking about that other trailer? In the one I linked, Accordo is only shown in two extremely quick cuts, and it'd be weird if only those two split second scenes were rendered in a different way.

Son Of D

FF XII HD please. Thank you.

Fingers crossed on FFXII IZJS HD.

It has to happen, right guys?!

Right?

Hate to quote myself but

I doubt KH PS4 collection and FFXII HD will be announced here. The KH collection will probably be at D23 in August or October for an early 2016 release, FFXII HD will probably be announced at TGS with an early to mid 2016 release. New announcements will probably be any Eidos games, F2P mobile/PC games or stuff like FFXV PC.

I mean I'll gladly admit it if I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting much from the Japanese side of SE.

Definitely. A little second-guessing is good, but there comes a time in every creative project where you have to put on your big boy (or girl) pants, accept that no matter what you do someone is going to complain, and follow your gut to the finish line.

kewlmyc

Hopefully we get some sort of release window for FFXV and FF Type-0 HD.

Also Kingdom Hearts Ultimate Collection (1.5, 2.5, 3D) for PS4/Xbone would be neat. Still haven't played my PS3 version.

FF XII HD please. Thank you.

Yes, come on.

Kagari, to the best of your knowledge, is this game in the pipeline? I mean, I don't know if I should give up hope and just buy a PS2 and another copy of 12. I'm tired of waiting and worried that if it's not announced at TGS, that it's just not happening.

Go_Ly_Dow

I am quite concerned actually that Insomnia has changed from a setting in which you start out and get to explore without constraint, to basically a battle ground in which every path dictated and then you never get to return to again and explor.

Kinda like a glorified Zanarkand. The ending scene of the demo makes me strongly believe this is how its gonna be which would be a massive massive kick to the balls D:

Irvana

I really hope SE will announce FFXV on Steam.
Germany is a very strong market for PC games, visitors would be happy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They'll start to show more than they should from now on, won't they? =/

I fully expect them to focus a year of full marketing starting next month. So if you don't want to be spoiled... and knowing SE's stance on presenting spoilers... you might want to be cautious.

They spoiled something from the new FFXIV expansion in its launch trailer that I was kind of salty about afterward because it was a pretty big reveal following the end of the main scenario.

Go_Ly_Dow

Are they willing to battle Mass Effect I wonder...

Don't forget Horizon either.

I think they would be wise to move away from the holiday release circus....attempt to get this out in a 100% polished state before October and also go nuts with the marketing push like no other game S-E game in modern times.

I am quite concerned actually that Insomnia has changed from a setting in which you start out and get to explore without constraint, to basically a battle ground in which every path dictated and then you never get to return to again and explor.

Kinda like a glorified Zanarkand. The ending scene of the demo makes me strongly believe this is how its gonna be which would be a massive massive kick to the balls D:

And this is why, as a final fantasy fan, I always sport a cup under my stylishly abbreviated pants.

Wasn't it said that we could explore all of the rooftops and stuff?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Definitely. A little second-guessing is good, but there comes a time in every creative project where you have to put on your big boy (or girl) pants, accept that no matter what you do someone is going to complain, and follow your gut to the finish line.

Yes, exactly. I shook my head when they said they wanted to put the results of the demo survey on the game's official website when it relaunches - really, who does that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom