• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.
What mainly hurts my hype for XV is that Duscae was really, really dull as a game environment. It's empty, it's flat, just not very good vibes from it. Show me an interesting dungeon. Show me a nice town and things you could do outside of combat, like some fun mini-games and interesting side-quests. Also need to see further improvements to combat. I think all fights against larger-sized enemies are pretty bad currently in the demo. Camera is just all over the place. Phantom sword's control also feel flimsy in 2.0. And I don't like that the enemy count is reaching Musou level, like enemies keep coming in swarm. I would rather they keep the number down to 4-5 at max, so that we can better fight more tactically rather than button mashing, hoping for the best. And it would help to see Luna in action, hopefully something that shows that she's not a damsel in distress like we're led to think. Perhaps giving Noctis and the crew a new look in their attire? Alternative costumes purely for aesthetics? I mean surely they're well aware that more variety to the current party's appearance will go a long way if they're all a bunch of guys, which already turned off many in the internet.

I disagree.
For a demo, I feel Duscae was pretty fantastic. It's a tiny slice and a fairly vanilla kind of location. It isn't too extravagant and is kind of a 'bumpkin' location, thus it doesn't give away too much. I guess that is the issue you have, but I didn't feel that way.
As a demo, you get a nice sized playing area, two (albeit small) NPC areas, camps to unlock, a few various enemies, a 'hunt' (the whole Behemoth thing), an optional cave to explore, items to find, and a pretty good look at the character dynamic of the team. Aesthetically I liked the area, the day/night cycle, and the hints at things to come. I had fun with the battle system- and I'm a turn-based 'traditionalist'. That said, I can completely understand those that were turned off by it.

It's very promising for me to think that what I experienced in that demo is only a tiny fraction of FFXV's world. That definitely increased by hype.

Compare that to older FF demos, particularly FFVII's and VIII's, which were tiny and linear. FFX and XII's (if my memory serves me right) had more to do than those PS1 demos, but I still feel like Duscae was fairly robust for a demo.

If anything, the most important thing that Duscae did was hammer home that- yes- FFXV is actually real, it's actually coming, I can play it, and development is coming along. I can't stress how good that felt after so many years of questions, frustration, and confusion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Stella thing is such a non-issue that I wish people would let it die.

Most people who ever play FFXV will never hear the name Stella. She's not in this game, and it doesn't matter.

Take FFXV as what it is, rather than what you imagine it to be based on an old game that isn't happening, and I suspect you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more.

I would agree if they hadn't promised before that they hadn't changed anything - but they did, and they waited until after fans bought the demo to address it. I just didn't like how that entire situation was handled.

Enthus

Seriously. Square hasn't been this exciting in ages; they're finally making moves on long delayed games and announcing new, fun-looking ones too (World of FF and Dragon Quest Builders, for example).

SE was such a dumpster fire last generation, and I'm glad they're turning it around.

They are becoming the company they promised to be when the merger was announced. At least, they will if everything they've announced isn't shit when it ends up releasing.

My expectations for SE announcements (Gamescom, D23, and TGS):
Type-0 HD PC date
Lightning Returns PC date
Maybe some mentions or hints of other PC releases, considering Gamescom is PC territory
FFXV release window
Dragon Quest VII/VIII in the West
At least a mention of a KH HD port
At least a mention of a FFXII HD port

I'm not expecting anything too crazy to be shown other than that.

The feedback aspect to me was stuff they intended to change anyway.. They just did that stunt to garner some goodwill from folks. It's not like they were changing stuff on the fly in response to each complaint.. We gotta remember the demo was rushed out. It's typical PR-101

Half agree with this. I think you mean the Japanese side of SE was a dumpster fire.

the western studios that they were publishing had Deus Ex:HR, Just Cause 2, Tomb Raider.

Now its just both coming together. (hopefully) Its all exciting but lets see how all this plays out. But I am quite optimistic
Half agree with this then, because the handheld side of SE Japan was putting out really good stuff (KH BBS, TWEWY, Dissidia, etc.)

I would agree if they hadn't promised before that they hadn't changed anything - but they did, and they waited until after fans bought the demo to address it. I just didn't like how that entire situation was handled.
And this is the problem, isn't it?

Back when I was mocked for saying it, but the problem here is not the changes, it's that Tabata straight up lied to everyone.

I honestly don't care what Tabata and co. will say at Gamescom, the trailer and the gameplay demo are the only things I will believe in, not a word else.

SOLDIER

Think they'll tease any new details about FFVII Remake at all, or will they remain completely tight-lipped until Winter?

Well, Verendus did say an FFVI Remake was either in the works or planned (can't recall which... if it was even specified at all).

However, I think it was one of the games on his 'insider' list that he wasn't completely sure on the validity. :/

Keep those fingers crossed.

Think they'll tease any new details about FFVII Remake at all, or will they remain completely tight-lipped until Winter?

I feel like they'll want to give XV the spotlight here.
Even tiny info on VIIR will have the internet in a tizzy.
As much as I'm dying for more info, I believe S-E will stick with their 'winter' plans.

BumRush

Clearly FF6 remake is incoming. Let us all rejoice.

I think it's too soon to announce this since they just announced VII and XII is probably next on tap. I seriously hope I'm incredibly wrong.

Also, I doubt we'd get a VI remake with the same scope as VII's remake...maybe Nintendo's next handheld?

Dark_castle

I disagree.
For a demo, I feel Duscae was pretty fantastic. It's a tiny slice and a fairly vanilla kind of location. It isn't too extravagant and is kind of a 'bumpkin' location, thus it doesn't give away too much. I guess that is the issue you have, but I didn't feel that way.
As a demo, you get a nice sized playing area, two (albeit small) NPC areas, camps to unlock, a few various enemies, a 'hunt' (the whole Behemoth thing), an optional cave to explore, items to find, and a pretty good look at the character dynamic of the team. Aesthetically I liked the area, the day/night cycle, and the hints at things to come. I had fun with the battle system- and I'm a turn-based 'traditionalist'. That said, I can completely understand those that were turned off by it.

It's very promising for me to think that what I experienced in that demo is only a tiny fraction of FFXV's world. That definitely increased by hype.

Compare that to older FF demos, particularly FFVII's and VIII's, which were tiny and linear. FFX and XII's (if my memory serves me right) had more to do than those PS1 demos, but I still feel like Duscae was fairly robust for a demo.

If anything, the most important thing that Duscae did was hammer home that- yes- FFXV is actually real, it's actually coming, I can play it, and development is coming along. I can't stress how good that felt after so many years of questions, frustration, and confusion.

Maybe I'm harsh on the demo since it's just a demo and the final game might address all my issues. I have my doubts though. Like the Goblin cave, its design as a whole is just uninspired. Scripted events and pathways, throw bunch of goblins in there and call it for the day. No hidden paths, no hidden treasure, nothing. The series of quests leading to the behemoth is also kinda lame. Follow the checkpoints, tail the monster. Busy work while being handhold. They should look at how FFXII did rare monster hunting. We get a general idea of where to look for it, then we do exploration on our own to find the beast.

Half agree with this. I think you mean the Japanese side of SE was a dumpster fire.

the western studios that they were publishing had Deus Ex:HR, Just Cause 2, Tomb Raider.

Now its just both coming together. (hopefully) Its all exciting but lets see how all this plays out. But I am quite optimistic

Well, of course. Eidos, to me, is a separate entity, even though they are owned by SE. Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were two of my favorites last gen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The feedback aspect to me was stuff they intended to change anyway.. They just did that stunt to garner some goodwill from folks. It's not like they were changing stuff on the fly in response to each complaint.. We gotta remember the demo was rushed out. It's typical PR-101

I should rephrase in that I don't like the way they've been marketing then.

SOLDIER

Well, Verendus did say an FFVI Remake was either in the works or planned (can't recall which... if it was even specified at all).

However, I think it was one of the games on his 'insider' list that he wasn't completely sure on the validity. :/

Keep those fingers crossed.

I feel like they'll want to give XV the spotlight here.
Even tiny info on VIIR will have the internet in a tizzy.
As much as I'm dying for more info, I believe S-E will stick with their 'winter' plans.

I really hope they manage to renew excitement for FFXV. It's kind of hard to acknowledge it these days thanks to the FFVII Remake announcement.

FFXV: A party of four dudes and no cool female characters.

FFVII: A diverse lineup of the most popular RPG characters of all time, including two of the most popular heroines of all time (and also Aerith).

RK128

Guess they are going to finally start the 'hype' cycle for FFXV now if they are having it be their 'big' Gamescom game :). Considering they gave the demo out to us, I'm not surprised development on that is progressing faster; they want the game out by next year and they will work hard to make sure that happens.

Good to see that we will be given larger looks at Just Cause, Deus Ex and Hitman, as the former and latter are coming this year.

Regarding the other 'reveals'......I guess it could be more worlds announced for KH's (I guess Frozen or Toy Story) or a proper look at the RPG Studio's project.

Koozek

What the hell happened to Square? They did a complete 1080 degrees from last gen.

That would be bad, you mean 180/540/900/etc. :p But yeah, I'm really optimistic nowadays. They seem to be getting out of the Dark Age of Gen 7.
Let's hope FFXV and FFVIIR will be good. If so, they will have redeemed themselves.

Guess they are going to finally start the 'hype' cycle for FFXV now if they are having it be their 'big' Gamescom game :). Considering they gave the demo out to us, I'm not surprised development on that is progressing faster; they want the game out by next year and they will work hard to make sure that happens.

Good to see that we will be given larger looks at Just Cause, Deus Ex and Hitman, as the former and latter are coming this year.

Regarding the other 'reveals'......I guess it could be more worlds announced for KH's (I guess Frozen or Toy Story) or a proper look at the RPG Studio's project.

Worlds annoucement will be kept for the D23 which will happen in the week after Gamescom

gosoxtim

i don't think kingdom hearts going to be there i think the d23's and tgs are the best opion for kingdom hearts news

RK128

Worlds annoucement will be kept for the D23 which will happen in the week after Gamescom

Okay, I guess I should re-phrase that then :). They will show off more of the Mt. Olympus or Tangled worlds (maybe the first cut-scenes for each one or some fight scenes not shown in the E3 trailer).

I really hope they manage to renew excitement for FFXV. It's kind of hard to acknowledge it these days thanks to the FFVII Remake announcement.

FFVII: A diverse lineup of the most popular RPG characters of all time, including two of the most popular heroines of all time (and also Aerith).

I just feel like it's in their best interest to do one of two things.
Either:
A. Don't even talk about VIIR again until after XV releases, or
B. Give each game their own elbow room; i.e. FFXV @ Gamescom & TGS, VIIR at PSX, etc. IMO they were wise to not have XV @ E3 knowing they'd be dropping the VIIR megaton. As excited as I am for XV, that VIIR announcement had me over the moon.

The fact that they even announced VIIR already makes me hope that XV is releasing in the next 10 months and VIIR is less than 3 years away from release. I just don't think both projects could comfortably co-exist at game shows, etc... but who knows? As you pointed out, maybe they are different enough that they can? :p

Yep. And I hope it will be something big and visually interesting, like Frozen or Star Wars.

Those are the 2 worlds I want most in the game.

Okay, I guess I should re-phrase that then :). They will show off more of the Mt. Olympus or Tangled worlds (maybe the first cut-scenes for each one or some fight scenes not shown in the E3 trailer).

Yep, if they indeed show the game at Gamescom it'll probably be more of what they showed at E3.

RK128

Those are the 2 worlds I want most in the game.

Yep, if they indeed show the game at Gamescom it'll probably be more of what they showed at E3.

I'm excited about the games combat mechanics, as the E3 trailer looks like a blend of elements throughout the series.
-The flow-motion from Dream Drop Distance
-Transforming Key-Blades maybe mirroring the Deck Commands from Birth By Sleep
-Summons having a much larger role in the combat (thanks to the attraction attacks)
-Sora having a number of movement abilities from KH2's Drive Forms
-Context-sensitive actions depending on the situation (the trailer showed this when Goofy warped in front of Sora and Donald when the wave of heartless was going to attack, then they charged into them)
-A more acrobatic Sora (trailer showed him skipping over rocks and running up a wall).

So much potential for fun fights, I can't wait to try it out :D.

FFXV really has no female party members? I mean, I would imagine that latter in the game, more people join your team, so some female party members might be part of that. I do remember someone at the head of the games development said that the game is going for a 'road-trip' quality to its story, but I'm sure that vibe, while not vanish toward the end, will be pushed aside for the greater conflict or something.

FF games always have strong female characters, so I would find it odd that FFXV lack in that department :l.

Maybe they are sticking with male-only party members to distance the game away from FFXIII or something......

I should rephrase in that I don't like the way they've been marketing then.

That I can agree with. I think FFXV is likely to be great, because it's rare that an FF game isn't, and everything they've shown looks promising to me.

But I'd love for them to just stop talking about it entirely, save when they have actual new things to show. I don't want to hear about the story, or whatever characters are gone since old trailers for a different version.

I want story trailers, gameplay, and a release date. That's all that they need to do.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That I can agree with. I think FFXV is likely to be great, because it's rare that an FF game isn't, and everything they've shown looks promising to me.

But I'd love for them to just stop talking about it entirely, save when they have actual new things to show. I don't want to hear about the story, or whatever characters are gone since old trailers for a different version.

I want story trailers, gameplay, and a release date. That's all that they need to do.

I'd like to see a more KH3-style approach. No one expected that gameplay video at E3 - it was literally here's the trailer, hope you like it and we're still working on the game.

I'm excited about the games combat mechanics, as the E3 trailer looks like a blend of elements throughout the series.
-The flow-motion from Dream Drop Distance
-Transforming Key-Blades maybe mirroring the Deck Commands from Birth By Sleep
-Summons having a much larger role in the combat (thanks to the attraction attacks)
-Sora having a number of movement abilities from KH2's Drive Forms
-Context-sensitive actions depending on the situation (the trailer showed this when Goofy warped in front of Sora and Donald when the wave of heartless was going to attack, then they charged into them)
-A more acrobatic Sora (trailer showed him skipping over rocks and running up a wall).

So much potential for fun fights, I can't wait to try it out :D.

The attraction flow and Keyblade transformations will indeed be great, I can feel it. What they showed so far regarding this was mindblowing IMO. So much potential too, I 'm just trying to imagine now what kind of transformation Ultima Key will get.

Can we get a V remake first? V and VI are the only games to not be remade yet and I don't want V to get ignored.

I think it eventually will.
Unfortunately, Son of D, FFV just isn't that popular within the worldwide FF fanbase. Not sure there's enough demand there. I feel like it had a window via Matrix Software after FFIII & FFIV DS were developed, but it's hard to tell if that window is even open anymore. Matrix went from DS development to mobile development in 2011.

Not only is FFVI one of the most aesthetically interesting Final Fantasy games (I mean, how many Victorian+Renaissance Hybrid Steampunk games are out there? :p) and has some of Yoshitaka Amano's most detailed involvement, but it's also an undeniably large fan-favorite among the base. FFVI really jumped ahead of so many other JRPGs on the market in '94 by tackling some incredibly dark, mature themes. Not only is it in many various 16-bit 'Top 10' lists (and I'd say a great deal of people's Top 3 for JRPGs along with Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star IV), but usually hovers pretty high in overall 'Top' lists.

IMO, if any FF deserves a priority, big budget remake it's FFVI... but naturally FFVII is the one the majority have been stumbling all over themselves for a remake since probably the start of the PS2 era. Now dreams have come true on that front. ;)

RK128

The attraction flow and Keyblade transformations will indeed be great, I can feel it. What they showed so far regarding this was mindblowing IMO. So much potential too, I 'm just trying to imagine now what kind of transformation Ultima Key will get.

Watch it just be a giant hammer that Sora slams into the ground and the game screen turns white, killing everything around him XD!

Why are people even talking about KH? =X

No way that will be at Gamescom when it'll be shown like, a week later at the Disney event.

The potential difference between S-E in the PS3/360 era vs the PS4/One era will probably be night and day.

We're already seeing the change... and so far it looks great.
There's a lot of good movement going on. The company is being more transparent and, most importantly, development just seems more proficient than it has for a long time. Projects are being announced and released in reasonable time frames. Troubled productions now have direction and are making progress. New IPs are being created. Dream projects are coming around.

Maybe S-E, as a company, is becoming a more broad reflection of the FFXIV project, if you see where I'm going with that. ;)

Now if only the other Japanese console giants like Capcom, Konami (lol!), and Namco could follow. Time to rebuild that broken console image in the Land of the Rising Sun!

BreakAtmo

I think it eventually will.
Unfortunately, Son of D, FFV just isn't that popular within the worldwide FF fanbase. Not sure there's enough demand there. I feel like it had a window via Matrix Software after FFIII & FFIV DS were developed, but it's hard to tell if that window is even open anymore. Matrix went from DS development to mobile development in 2011.

I wonder if Exdeath's popularity spike following Dissidia might help?

Dark_castle

FFV is great. Likable characters, lighthearted and adventurous story, awesome job system and gameplay, nice music. I hoped to see it remade along with VI, the goat FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom