• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis Police Officer Shoots, Kills Teen During “Pedestrian Check”

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
...Did they find the sandwich?

Shouldn't be that hard to find the truth here. Search the gun for fingerprints, see if you can tie it back to the victim apart from it being on the scene...try to find the bullets he allegedly shot...see if you can get a count of shots fired from witnesses and match it up with rounds missing from the cops gun...

At the same time, the local black community is not going to (nor should they) trust the local PD to provide an honest assessment of the evidence or the culpability of the officer. So, this is going to be one of those "relative" truths, no matter what. And that's a problem.

How can we prevent these killings in the future? Just better training?
when shit like this goes down
replace non-descriptive references to the officer with the officer's name

the internet will help make sure the right people are miserable and unemployed for the rest of their lives
make examples out of these fucks

a shame there's a myriad of things keeping that from being feasible. but man, oh man, half these shits I just come away from thinking "any other murderer or alleged whatever and it'd be a mugshot and a name repeated 50 times in the article"

I'm not sure I'm in favor of ruining someone's life before we know exactly what happened. We don't know if it was a gun or a sandwich.

i don't disagree. that's just my kneejerk reaction.

Velcro Fly

when shit like this goes down
replace non-descriptive references to the officer with the officer's name

the internet will help make sure the right people are miserable and unemployed for the rest of their lives
make examples out of these fucks

I'm not sure I'm in favor of ruining someone's life before we know exactly what happened. We don't know if it was a gun or a sandwich.

CygnusXS

How can we prevent these killings in the future? Just better training?

Teaching white Americans not to be terrified of black Americans and drastically reducing the flow and availability of guns would be good starts.

Even if he had a gun, we still don't know who fired first.

If only the cop had a camera on him. Every cop should have a camera. This would solve so many problems.

El Odio

Banned
For once I wanna wait for the details on this. Both perspectives sound really weird I mean, why run away with a sandwich but why conduct the stop in the first place?

freddy

Banned
“My nephew was coming out of a store from purchasing a sandwich. Security was supposedly searching for someone else. They Tased him,” Williams said. “I don’t know how this happened, but they went off and shot him 16 times. That’s outright murder.”

A police spokeswoman said the officer did not have a Taser.

So more than one contradiction here.

kehs

Banned

johnny956

St. Louis city police chief is doing a press conference now. Confirmed that suspect shot at police 3 times and police have confirmed suspects gun is jammed so most likely suspect tried to keep firing. Cop shot his weapon 17 times did not confirm how many times suspect was shot.

He also did confirm they're interviewing witnesses with some claiming they saw the suspect shooting his weapon so we'll see how this go.

Police vehicles were damaged but no businesses were damaged.

CygnusXS

I'm still not sure why this off-duty cop was chasing this kid.
https://twitter.com/RayDowns/status/520094588564815872 said:
Ray Downs ‏@RayDowns 21m21 minutes ago
Dotson says cop believed victim had gun by way he was running. After struggle, cop claims victim shot at cop 3 times. Then cop shot back.
Like, how did we even get to this part?

St. Louis city police chief is doing a press conference now. Confirmed that suspect shot at police 3 times and police have confirmed suspects gun is jammed so most likely suspect tried to keep firing. Cop shot his weapon 17 times did not confirm how many times suspect was shot.

He also did confirm they're interviewing witnesses with some claiming they saw the suspect shooting his weapon so we'll see how this go.

Police vehicles were damaged but no businesses were damaged.

Cops just spray bullets hoping to get a fucking hit. So damn bad.

I guess it's time for me to get to the bed. I would love to go down there to walk with them, but I really feel like I should stay out of it.

I think the rain will eventually cause the people over there to head home. I hear sirens up and down Grand which is a street that cuts through many parts of the city.

benjipwns

Banned
CsevDtV.jpg

Incoming 'dehumanizing lettuce' and 'aggressive deli meat' parody posts.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/05/boy-7-suspended-for-shaping-pastry-into-gun-dad-says/

Valhelm

contribute something
Teaching white Americans not to be terrified of black Americans and drastically reducing the flow and availability of guns would be good starts.

That's another issue altogether. There are a lot of instances of Black cops killing Black teens, and that's still institutional racism being perpetuated.

Teacher Jessica Fultz claims that the suspension wasn’t about a so-called "Pop-Tart gun," but rather a daily pattern of escalating classroom disruption and even violence from the then seven-year-old.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...-may-not-be-cleared-102626.html#ixzz3Fd1zGwCo
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

hm...

Cops just spray bullets hoping to get a fucking hit. So damn bad.
It's extremely difficult to hit a moving target, and will oftentimes result in grazing wounds or hits to limbs. A suspect full of adrenaline won't drop from these.

Also a magazine capacity of 15+ rounds is most likely a 9mm, which doesn't have the sheer stopping power of lower capacity pistols (.40, .45 ACP, etc )

TheCloser

Banned
I don't understand what the hell is wrong with these uneducated trigger happy cops. You only need 1 well placed shot to disarm a suspect. The point of shooting is to disarm not to kill especially in a situation like these. Honestly I'm not surprised though, it's the USA. One of if not the most screwed up country in the world.

chopstik

Banned
I just saw this on the news. what's going on with these bullet-happy cops? crazy stuff. What happened to the tasers and batons and pepper sprays?

Let's pretend the guy had a gun.

Why is an off-duty police officer doing a "pedestrian stop."

This. if the cop is off-duty and working for a private firm, he is acting out of the scope of his sworn duties. Something is off here. I doubt we'll ever find the truth, I'm sure there will be a coverup, They don't want another ferguson.

I don't understand what the hell is wrong with these uneducated trigger happy cops. You only need 1 well placed shot to disarm a suspect. The point of shooting is to disarm not to kill especially in a situation like these. Honestly I'm not surprised though, it's the USA. One of if not the most screwed up country in the world.

There's no way to shoot a gun without it being lethal force. Sure, not everyone shot by a bullet dies, but your odds skyrocket when you are.

Things like tazers, pepper spray, and bean-bags are non-lethal and cops have to judge what is the most appropriate to use based on the level of threat coming at them. Most of those are rather short-range and it's not a fool-proof system, unfortunately.

Valhelm

contribute something

The United States and its police force have tons of problems, but aren't you Brazilian?

If you are a young black man, make sure you don't hold anything in your hands at anytime.

Keep the hands open so all 5 fingers can be seen.
Pull hands up
And always walk with your hands up in the air, with all five fingers visibile

That will give you the best chances at not getting shot by a cop.

If you are a young black man, make sure you don't hold anything in your hands at anytime.

Pull hands up

But then they'll have 10 guns.

CygnusXS

Pull hands up

At least until they notice your suspicious behaviour and they ask for your ID.

Pull hands up

bring a white friend too, preferably male

At this point African Americans are going to evolve into having mitten-hands that are incapable of using firearms as a natural defence mechanism, before society does something against this shit.

It's extremely difficult to hit a moving target, and will oftentimes result in grazing wounds or hits to limbs. A suspect full of adrenaline won't drop from these.

Also a magazine capacity of 15+ rounds is most likely a 9mm, which doesn't have the sheer stopping power of lower capacity pistols (.40, .45 ACP, etc )

Who's counting while someone is being shot?

Reven

You clearly know nothing about shooting. Do you realize how hard it is to accurately hit a man sized target that is running away from you and firing back?

And what do you mean the point of shooting is to disarm? If a cop has to start shooting it means the situation has already escalated past disarming the suspect. Real life is nothing like cops shows on TV.

Phil S.

Banned
Makes me very sad and upset to live in this part of the country. I know I'm in the county, but it's absolute crap this continues to happen.

Nikodemos

The fuck is it with cops and their shitty-ass eyesight lately? Is there some sort of peer pressure from other cops not to wear glasses? "Don't wear em, you'll look like a nurrd and they wun respeck yer authoratae" sort of shit? I swear, a lot of recent shootings seem to have occured as a result of policemen being mole-sighted.

benjipwns

Banned
Even if it was a sandwich, eating one gives you health back without needing a medic or pickup, so the threat is still there.

JoeBoy101

The fuck is it with cops and their shitty-ass eyesight lately? Is there some sort of peer pressure from other cops not to wear glasses? "Don't wear em, you'll look like a nurrd and they wun respeck yer authoratae" sort of shit? I swear, a lot of recent shootings seem to have occured as a result of policemen being mole-sighted.

Just out of curiosity, why is it the Cop's bad eyesight? Why not the witness?

A gun was recovered at the scene. Forensics should be able to determine whether the gun was shot and whether the victim fired it.

DonasaurusRex said:
well he died so wheres the gun and bullets the man fired at the officer. A pedestrian check sounds like a terrible idea , especially considering the city this happened in.

Buzzfeed said:
By early Thursday morning, investigators had recovered bullet casings from two guns, Dotson said, as well as a 9 mm Ruger believed to have belonged to the man.

“The ballistic evidence indicates at least three different rounds at the office,” Dotson added.

Still, not conclusive that the teen fired the shots or its his gun. GSR tests should show whether he fired a weapon. Its unclear whether 'ballistic evidence' includes bullets fired from the gun, but I would assume it doesn't.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
well he died so wheres the gun and bullets the man fired at the officer. A pedestrian check sounds like a terrible idea , especially considering the city this happened in.

lednerg

I'm not liking how things are still very sketchy in terms of the actual information we have to go on, and how if it was actually self-defense in this case, it could reflect poorly on the protests and even affect the coverage of the Darren Wilson grand jury. If this were an Occupy thing, I would've voted against last night's march until we had more information to go on. But I'm just saying that on what little information I have to go on over the internet - maybe they had better sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom