• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen crowdfunding passes $700 million

Draugoth

Gold Member
1700209869_3-16-patchbanner-crop_story.jpg

Star Citizen, the Cloud Imperium Games-developed space sim and role-playing game, is continuing to hit massive crowd-funding milestones. Less than a year after the company touted $600 million raised via its community for the game's ongoing development, the $700 million mark has officially been passed.

The confirmation arrives from the company's own funding tracker, which happily displays "700,461,674" dollars raised at the time of writing. The tracker's built-in timeline also shows a sharp uptick in funds raised during the past couple of weeks. This is also when the game kicked off its latest free-to-play event, offering non-backers access to the title's persistent universe as well as almost any ship to fly during the trial. On May 25 alone, the title raised almost three million dollars.

star-citizen-passes-700-million-backers-still-dont-have-v0-od5nwiwy603d1.png

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes. It's just been in Alpha status forever. People play it all the time though.

Barely functional, with tons of bugs, glitches, and other issues. But don’t worry, they will announce a new ship coming out in a few months for 499.99 for those who wish to fund even more money into Robert’s new yacht. I hear he and Richard Garriot have some crazy parties.

Topher

Gold Member
Barely functional, with tons of bugs, glitches, and other issues. But don’t worry, they will announce a new ship coming out in a few months for 499.99 for those who wish to fund even more money into Robert’s new yacht. I hear he and Richard Garriot have some crazy parties.

Wish it were not the case, but you are correct. If it isn't the people paying a ridiculous amount of money for ships then its the "backers" who just give money for nothing. RSI has little incentive to actually make money selling the game.

Like others have said, I just wanted Squadron 42.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They gotta show something soon. I mean this game was meant to release in 20 fucking 14.

2014 demo was cute in retrospect

Hiding the loading with flash out and on rail landing. Almost Starfield but better actually than a pure loading screen.

2015 crytek found the tech for seamless space to planet loading and it was too much of a leap in technology for the MMO to just send SQ42 with the old tech.

Now the tech..

And last year Citizencon SQ42

They implemented half of the tech showcased at Citizencon into Star Citizen 6 months later, and the rest of features in coming patches, with 4.0 in Q3 that has server meshing. All the tech at Citizencon was tech that was used to make SQ42 as it is in that trailer. Well without server stuff obviously as it’s offline. That means the team is shifting from single player to MMO.

Big announcement for SQ42 at this year’s Citizencon in October.

Star Citizen is a GaaS game?

MMO are inherently “gaas” before the word was even invented. World of Warcraft , Eve online, etc. Boot up Eve online today compared to what it was a decade ago and it’s vastly different. Counter-strike, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2 is gaas. A handful of bad gaas games and gamers flipping tables put the word gaas as some fucking devil or something. Getting tiring. It’s like I would call every jRPG fans a weeb. Large scale generalizing.

Last edited:
Does that mean squadron 42 will release soon?

I only ever wanted Squadron 42.

They said feature complete back in CitizenCon last October. So, more like 3 years from then, around CitizenCon 2026 announcing a release date, should be the bare minimum going by their dev speed.

As for Star Citizen, expect a feature complete 1.0, somewhere around 2033/34, just to be on the safer side.

I have interest in one game and a passing interest in the tech of the other. It's been so long I don't even remember if I ever backed this thing or not. It's getting there............ . .. . .. . . . .. . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . .. .. . ...

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Waste of money. Someone should crowdfund a Lost odyssey remake instead. Would cost less. Since Microsoft doesn't want to pay for it.

Chris Roberts is amazing at raising money. I wonder if he'll ever finish the game or if he just plans to keep developing it until he dies so he can live off the free money for the rest of his natural life

Utherellus

You get up from the bed, travel on a bullet train through the megalopolis covering entire planet, get in your ship and fly with Mach 2 to the upper layers of atmosphere.

Then you engage quantum drive and observe how in-game object actually accelerates to sub-C speeds as it travels through millions of actual kilometers as distant dot flickering is transforming to another planet.

Idfk about overused jokes or mind gymnastics. Deep down your hearts you all know that they achieved unprecedented things. Things that are genuinely interesting and exciting to interact with.

In an industry of dried-out innovation and flash graphical conveyor belts, would you preferred us not to have such unique messy phenomenon?

manfestival

You get up from the bed, travel on a bullet train through the megalopolis covering entire planet, get in your ship and fly with Mach 2 to the upper layers of atmosphere.

Then you engage quantum drive and observe how in-game object actually accelerates to sub-C speeds as it travels through millions of actual kilometers as distant dot flickering is transforming to another planet.
This happens to me everytime I login and stopped bothering till maybe one day. People that hype it make me laugh

b0uncyfr0

Has anyone ever litigated anything against these guys? Surely there has to be deadline for this bullshit.

Last edited:

TVexperto

• They can’t make an UI
  • They can’t make a flight model (flying stuff is supposed to be core gameplay)
  • JPG sold years ago becoming obsolete before release because of scammy power creep marketing
  • New ambitious JPG added to 10 year old backlog
  • Revision of core gameplay mechanics promised years ago to appease fomo marketing team
  • Disastrous performances as usual
Wonderful project!!! People supporting this shit show are pathetic.

Top Bottom