• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaj

Avatar, to this day, is one of the only movies I've enjoyed enough to see twice in the theatres. The other being How to Train your Dragon 2.

gdt

So many sequels get blasted for being essentially remakes of earlier entries, but somehow it has the total opposite effect on this one.

Damn man...no one has seen it yet. The general audience might not even agree wth that criticism.

Talk about an agenda breh

Jonm1010

Banned
Both are masterpieces! Creed's just a masterfully made popcorn flick. Definitely the best movie I've seen this year.

This too
Nah. Creed is a nice feel good movie but it is literally just a rehash of the original. Good film, not great.

Mad Max will go down in the pantheon of great films this decade. Creed, while solid, is not going to be making those lists.

cackhyena

Avatar, to this day, is one of the only movies I've enjoyed enough to see twice in the theatres. The other being How to Train your Dragon 2.

4209835151.png

Manu

Some asshole just purposely spoiled the movie in Facebook before I could block her ass.

I'm so angry right now. I seriously feel like crying.

Feep

Banned
People can say what they want, but seeing that movie in IMAX 3-D was an unforgettable experience. It's trendy to hate on it now, but man...blew me away.

Some asshole just purposely spoiled the movie in Facebook before I could block her ass.

Im not excusing them but everyone seriously needs to stay off social media during times like these. It happens all the time with TV shows and movies and I dont know why people don't learn.

Sorry to hear that for you though :(

Jonm1010

Banned
This board really loves Mad Max

Holy...
Not sure what is controversial about that opinion. If you were to make a list of the top films of the decade so far, you would be hard pressed to not have Mad Max on that list.

Taking away my own opinion, it is pretty much the consensus best action film of the last 5 years. That sort of film gets recognized.

guek

Banned
People can say what they want, but seeing that movie in IMAX 3-D was an unforgettable experience. It's trendy to hate on it now, but man...blew me away.
By episode IX, it'll be trendy to hate Star Wars (again), likely due to overexposure by the spinoffs rather than a decline in quality.

She was hopefully just being a dickhead and making shit up to annoy people (assuming it was just text, and not a pic from the movie). I've already heard of others doing that on facebook.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

So fucked up. My buddy has basically not been online all week long because of assholes like that wanting to ruin shit. Can't stand people like that.

This board really loves Mad Max

Holy...

The formal, technical film stuff in Mad Max is amazing. Stuff like cinematography, editing, sound design, sound mixing, etc. Combine that with the production design, fight choreography, effects... It's the best action movie in decades. In a lot of ways it's a real candidate for best action movie ever.

Creed is a nice boxing movie. Okay, a really nice boxing movie. But they just aren't even playing in the same league.

I don't understand why people think intentionally spoiling a movie for others is funny, it just makes you look really childish.

Nah. Creed is a nice feel good movie but it is literally just a rehash of the original. Good film, not great.

Mad Max will go down in the pantheon of great films this decade. Creed, while solid, is not going to be making those lists.
But it's really really great at being a feel good movie. Feel good movies aren't intrinsically worse than Mas Max haha

Creed is really well done from a filmmaking perspective as well. Both are some of the best movies I've seen in a loong time, I don't think "it's just a feel good movie" is a valid criticism though haha.

I love the shit out of creed. Got me emotional too considering how much I love the character rocky, the series rewatch reinforced that. And man was I anxious in theaters during the boss-battle like stat displays, the fights, the training, Creed and conlon's entrances

But fury road was...God damn. Something else. I was feeling jaded about blockbusters lately, and then for something to come out in 2015 that actually rivalled movies like T2 and Die Hard? I wasn't expecting that at all, and the approach was so refreshing

Even if the force awakens ends up being as good as Empire Strikes Back I still wouldn't really be able to put it over these two movies, that's how much I liked them

The formal, technical film stuff in Mad Max is amazing. Stuff like cinematography, editing, sound design, sound mixing, etc. Combine that with the production design, fight choreography, effects... It's the best action movie in decades. In a lot of ways it's a real candidate for best action movie ever.

Creed is a nice boxing movie. Okay, a really nice boxing movie. But they just aren't even playing in the same league.

id argue that creed's directing was far more interesting and fresh than any boxing movie ever made. the second fight was amazing and one of the best scenes Ive seen in a movie all year.

just because one movie is more "grand" and another is much smaller, doesnt make it better.

of course mad max is topping awards and creed isnt. creed deserves to be on these lists but politics will keep it off some

You seem mad people like this film.

I'm curious about the event itself. When it's something as big as this, I'm more interested in how people react to it, than any opinion I might have about the quality of the product.

For example when people criticize Avatar, usually it's because of how it's a story that we all seen before and how little originality it has. Cameron gets praise for the technical aspects, but that's it. Here I am reading about something so similar with this Star Wars movie, how little originality it actually contains, yet it's being praised exactly for that.

Dabanton

Avatar is by and large an amazing showcase for passionate, skillful and real 3D direction. Outside of that medium it's a passable lazy sunday afternoon kind of movie.

I'm expecting the same with any sequels to it. An amazing 3D showcase for whatever Cameron is cooking up.

Well, it is a masterpiece.

my only problem with mad max, while it is brilliantly directed, acted, scored, etc.... it just didnt speak to me. like, after seeing it, i felt satisified and that felt I had seen a awesome movie. but that was it, I moved on. Unlike with a movie like Creed, it stayed with me for weeks

Blader

Not sure what is controversial about that opinion. If you were to make a list of the top films of the decade so far, you would be hard pressed to not have Mad Max on that list.

Taking away my own opinion, it is pretty much the consensus best action film of the last 5 years. That sort of film gets recognized.

Meh, I liked Mad Max quite a bit and think it's a seriously impressive work of filmmaking, but I could make a top films of the decade list that it didn't come in spitting distance of.

Opinions!!

Dabanton

I'm curious about the event itself. When it's something as big as this, I'm more interested in how people react to it, than any opinion I might have about the quality of the product.

It's all nostalgia. We as humans especially in this era call back to so many things that made us happy in our childhood for me it reminds me of when I felt free with seemingly endless imagination and fantasy, also especially when many people are also parents now and want and in some cases, force their kids to try to gather those same shared memories and love what they loved. They want that kick of rose tinted nostalgia to pass over.

When I saw the full trailer the music, the atmosphere, was emotionally stirring I don't think we'll get any real cold light of day opinions on the movie until early January when of course it will face the inevitable internet backlash.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yes it was and still is an awesome movie. People love to hate these days.

Blader

It would be interesting to get a JJ post-mortem -- once the film has been out of course :lol -- on deliberate or unintentional similarities to ANH, and his reasoning behind them (as I'm assuming, even if intentional, he's not going to say "well we just decided to straight copy the first movie because that worked!").

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if many of the similar plot beats were unintentional, and that in trying to create a new story, JJ and Kasdan ended up writing themselves back into familiar territory.

id argue that creed's directing was far more interesting and fresh than any boxing movie ever made. the second fight was amazing and one of the best scenes Ive seen in a movie all year.

just because one movie is more "grand" and another is much smaller, doesnt make it better.

of course mad max is topping awards and creed isnt. creed deserves to be on these lists but politics will keep it off some
Right? I saw it with a friend who hates boxing films and his opinion was that it was incredibly well made technically, he just doesn't care about boxing.

Jonm1010

Banned
But it's really really great at being a feel good movie. Feel good movies aren't intrinsically worse than Mas Max haha

Creed is really well done from a filmmaking perspective as well. Both are some of the best movies I've seen in a loong time, I don't think "it's just a feel good movie" is a valid criticism though haha.
Creed is pretty cliche reliant, a bit campy and barely hides that it is basically retreading the original. Not to mention not having seen the previous films reduces a lot of the films potency. The direction is really good and the acting is solid, which elevates an otherwise fairly by the numbers boxing story and script.

Creed is a solid boxing film with excllent direction while Mad Max is an action and technical masterpiece. One that is seemingly poised to go down as one of the all time greats in its genre. That's not a knock on Creed, it just speaks to the achievement of Mad Max and how impressive it is what they accomplished in all facets of film making.

Jonm1010

Banned
Meh, I liked Mad Max quite a bit and think it's a seriously impressive work of filmmaking, but I could make a top films of the decade list that it didn't come in spitting distance of.

Opinions!!
You certainly could, but like I said, given the way this film is being received from critics, film goers and pretty much every crowd exposed to it, it's poised to be on many of those lists.

There frankly isn't a more universally praised action film that has been released this decade and that is going to earn you a spot on a lot of lists.

sflufan

Banned
Eventually everything comes back to Mad Max.

Not that I mind - Mad Max is the second-best film of the year after Sicario.

-griffy-

Banned
I'll just repeat my point from earlier about 2015 being the year a Mad Max sequel, a Rocky sequel and a Star Wars sequel are arguably the best movies of the year, with the added context of: who gives a shit what specifically is the best of those? Why is that even an argument happening in here? When you can say that first statement it's a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom