• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember The Matrix sequels? They were well reviewed and the reality is that they were poor films (not saying this will be, Abrams never really makes a bad film/TV series).

I don't remember those good reviews at all. Most people agreed the movies where shitty with a few good scenes.

I feel the 95% TFA has right now in RT is way too high. It's a 70-80 one, tops. Great beginning, formulaic ending.

It is a really great review though.

There's a lot of words in there, but the review begins in a tangent and decides it never wants to come back, judging a movie for what it's not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Armond is an obnoxious troll, but I must say he is a pretty good writer. The way he weaves in all sorts of tangent points is genuinely amusing.
You should find the episodes of the slashfilmcast that he was on. He speaks about film in an entertaining manner as well... it's too bad he's such an asshole, burning pretty much every bridge possible.

I don't remember those good reviews at all. Most people agreed the movies where shitty with a few good scenes.

I feel the 95% it has right now in RT is way too high.

There's a lot of words in there, but the review begins in a tangent and decides it never wants to come back, judging a movie for what it's not.
The RT score is simply a measure of whether critics liked it or did not. It's binary. And yes, people like the movie. That isn't a measure of the film relative to anything or a device to use to rank it, nor is it a measure of *how much* you liked it. Simply "did you like it more than you disliked it". And to no surprise, it looks to me like about 95% of posters here liked the movie to some degree and with a reservation or two here or there. If you aren't with the 95% that's okay. There are 5% right there with you. But no, it does not appear that 95% is too high. And this will be the first movie since Gravity and Avatar before it that I saw twice at the theater. So I'll enjoy the sunshine in the 95%. Sorry if you can't. :-(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TV-show runner J. J. Abrams brings his game-changing banality to the Star Wars franchise. He follows the template as originated by Lucas and appeals to adolescent thralldom, keeping the brand recognizable. The Force Awakens is paced better than Star Wars’ other dismal episodes, yet it’s even more impersonal. There’s no visual or spiritual excitement, as there was even in a cynical sci-fi product like Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. Abrams is making product to salute the cultural and economic status quo. With Star Wars, product has not only taken the place of art; it has replaced myth.

I can feel GAF's ether already. lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's definitely better than IV and VI.
IV has pacing issues, VI has ewoks. VII has neither of these.

Nah... i might put it above vii but vii has higher highs. Iv also has higher highs.

This movie derives too much for it to be better than it. Vi has other flaws. Lacking emotional punch in some key moments and lack of originality for example. It has lots of good things too.

I would rate this b+ or a-

With star was being an A, empire A+, and jedi a B.

harSon

Banned
Pack it up. Armond White didn't like it.

Classic Armond White. Even compares Finn to Obama.

My favorite film critic by far. My tastes don't line up with his at all, and his points are consistently ridiculous, but I genuinely enjoy reading what he writes - which is more than I can say for 99.9999999999% of critics out there. Shit like this is masterful lmao:

Rey “leans in” when she grips the Skywalker light saber, so that feminists can rejoice at the Disney Corporation’s calculated political correctness (although Rey’s competence with weaponry contradicts liberals’ convenient attitudes toward gun control.)

entremet

My favorite film critic by far. My tastes don't line up with his at all, and his points are consistently ridiculous, but I genuinely enjoy reading what he writes - which is more than I can say for 99.9999999999% of critics out there.

He's made a nice niche for himself.

Armond is an obnoxious troll, but I must say he is a pretty good writer. The way he weaves in all sorts of tangent points is genuinely amusing.

Sometimes (actually a little frequent) he recreates movies to support his obnoxious ideas, but other times he actually makes terrific points. He is a great text-reviewer, and should never be compared to the random bloggers or film-sites who populate the internet with their opinions (the "new-age" critics). Shamefully he also seems to go to some movies with pre-conceived ideas, which is a fucking sin in movie-criticism.

I have just seen it and it was a true disappointment.
Technically, it's mediocre with a very heavy handed and disjointed plot and bland cinematography.

But more importantly, it's a soulless movie that feels forced, a carefully manufactured product that tries to tick all the feature-box of the originals.

Unlike the OT and the prequels, it does not know what it wants to be about and it feels directionless. I was at least excepting a thrilling space adventure and I had a boring 2 hour and a half slog.The worst flaw of this movie is that how predictable everything is, completely killing any sense of wonder and discovery which, in my opinion, is the essence of Star Wars.

I liked the OT for the feeling of adventure and wonder ,the Greek tragedy for the space age and a new modern myth infused by eastern philosophy.
I liked the prequels for the political intrigue, the sci fi retelling of the fall of the Roman Republic and the clueless Jedis being played like a cheap fiddle.

But more importantly, these movies had soul.
You felt that however flawed they might have been, they were important to George Lucas. He had to tell these stories.

Here, it just feels, that it is a product that is important chiefly to shareholders.
Millions will watch it but in my humble opinion, this hollow shell of a movie does not deserve it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Armond White

The Force Awakens is a bread-and-circuses carnival that is intended to keep millennial audiences docile.

I love this shit

pQZJf.jpg

I cannot handle such objectivity in mah reviews

I don't have an issue with the films Armond doesn't like (even if I disagree), but I can't take him seriously for a lot of the films he purportedly loves (Happy Madison Adam Sandler films being a prime example) and his incoherent self righteous conservative politics which have only been exacerbated since he joined the National Review.

I don't have an issue with the films Armond doesn't like (even if I disagree), but I can't take him seriously for a lot of the films he purportedly loves (Happy Madison Adam Sandler films being a prime example) and his incoherent self righteous conservative politics which have only been exacerbated since he joined the National Review.

He's playing a character. It's like wrestling.

GhaleonEB

Armond White, if nothing else, sure knows how to write. I think he actually said some truths to be honest. :p

Anyway, Mark Kermode really liked it.

Thanks for the link to Kermode's reviews. One of the few I'll watch knowing he goes out of his way not to spoil anything. More than anything he talked about the experience of seeing it, and how well it worked at different levels. Got me more interested to see it than anything I've read/watched so far.

Lothars

Here, it just feels, that it is a product that is important chiefly to shareholders.
Millions will watch it but in my humble opinion, this hollow shell of a movie does not deserve it.
I really don't get how you can feel this way. I don't get that at all from this movie.

scitek

The reason A New Hope had such an impact on people is because it did things movies had never done before. This doesn't, and shouldn't be expected to, really.

Fun flick. Wish I could see the 70mm version.

I have just seen it and it was a true disappointment.
Technically, it's mediocre with a very heavy handed and disjointed plot and bland cinematography.

But more importantly, it's a soulless movie that feels forced, a carefully manufactured product that tries to tick all the feature-box of the originals.

Unlike the OT and the prequels, it does not know what it wants to be about and it feels directionless. I was at least excepting a thrilling space adventure and I had a boring 2 hour and a half slog.The worst flaw of this movie is that how predictable everything is, completely killing any sense of wonder and discovery which, in my opinion, is the essence of Star Wars.

I liked the OT for the feeling of adventure and wonder ,the Greek tragedy for the space age and a new modern myth infused by eastern philosophy.
I liked the prequels for the political intrigue, the sci fi retelling of the fall of the Roman Republic and the clueless Jedis being played like a cheap fiddle.

But more importantly, these movies had soul.
You felt that however flawed they might have been, they were important to George Lucas. He had to tell these stories.

Nailed it.

As a stand alone movie it's fairly solid, but as a continuation of the saga, it's a forgettable and predictable fail in my eyes.

Kamina777

Banned
Remember this?!
Remember how that thing got that way?!
How about this reference, blink and you'll miss 10 just like it!

You love this stuff!!
Rub the memories into your eyes like they were your now taut nipples!

Best movie in four4ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom