• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront gameplay

Kssio_Aug

I may be one of the few here (or the only one lol) that actually is happy to know that theyre going to a much more basic / arcade filght system. I literally hate BF flight controls and I don't want a flight sim in that Star Wars game. Let me just get the into the spaceship and have some fun, like I did with Warhawk.

I may be one of the few here (or the only one lol) that actually is happy to know that theyre going to a much more basic / arcade filght system. I literally hate BF flight controls and I don't want a flight sim in that Star Wars game. Let me just get the into the spaceship and have some fun, like I did with Warhawk.

Yep, totally agree with you.

I agree. I'm getting tired of hearing those Battlefield youtubers saying that it is "noob friendly" Just so they know,the original games were never that difficult either. They were about getting into big,awesome Star Wars battles and having fun!

Wizman23

Banned

Same here! Every time I try to pilot an aircraft in B4 I crash the fucker

MADGAME

I'll echo the sentiments on this page. Arcade-y vehicle controls will be perfect for this game. This isn't an X-wing or TIE simulator. Make it an accessible, fun Star Wars experience.

hie

Hard to believe you guys have so much trouble flying in BF4. You are all using Veteran controls (triggers for accel/brake), right? It's damned easy. Easier than it was in BF3 even. Already feels "arcadey". I hope there's an option in SW to stick with the standard control scheme.

Guess I just don't see it that where. Where's the skill?

If I really want to fly an X-Wing in Battlefront, I would take the time to learn how to do it--just like if I really wanted to fly a jet in Battlefield, I'd learn how (although in that case, I didn't, so I didn't--but I am a solid heli pilot).

Most of the time, dumbing down these things just makes them surface-deep...which I don't think is ever a good thing. That's why flying in Elite: Dangerous feels so great and rewarding: the game demands respect for the vehicle you're flying, so there is something inherently thrilling about doing it successfully. It's rewarding.

Seanspeed

Banned

If I really want to fly an X-Wing in Battlefront, I would take the time to learn how to do it--just like if I really wanted to fly a jet in Battlefield, I'd learn how (although in that case, I didn't, so I didn't--but I am a solid heli pilot).

Most of the time, dumbing down these things just makes them surface-deep...which I don't think is ever a good thing. That's why flying in Elite: Dangerous feels so great and rewarding: the game demands respect for the vehicle you're flying, so there is something inherently thrilling about doing it successfully. It's rewarding.
Nobody is relying on you in Elite Dangerous. You don't have a team that loses a valuable resource if you suck and get blown up in Elite Dangerous.

I get what you're saying, but for the sake of team reliance, not making things *too* difficult is probably for the best.

-griffy-

Banned
From what I understand, Battlefront's approach with the vehicle tokens on the map instead of actual vehicles being around and at spawn, they are meant to just be kind of a temporary "power up." Equivalent to a kill-streak reward in Call of Duty or something. It's a cool thing to make you feel badass piloting a Star Wars vehicle for 30 seconds, instead of a more complicated tool that rewards (and almost demands) mastering in order to be effective.

Nobody is relying on you in Elite Dangerous. You don't have a team that loses a valuable resource if you suck and get blown up in Elite Dangerous.

I get what you're saying, but for the sake of team reliance, not making things *too* difficult is probably for the best.

I guess if you're not playing with friends in E:D, that's true.

Look, I'm NOT saying the game needs to be E:D levels of simulation (that's for the standalone X-Wing/TIE Fighter game...), I'm just saying that accessibility can rob the game of depth and, often, rewarding gameplay.

I don't want to feel like I'm driving a car with an added movement axis when I'm actually flying a spaceship, you know?

-griffy-

Banned
I'm just saying that accessibility can rob the game of depth and, often, rewarding gameplay.

I don't want to feel like I'm driving a car with an added movement axis when I'm actually flying a spaceship, you know?

I agree with that, and my explanation up there wasn't inherently meant as a defense of the game but just an explanation. I've never played Battlefront, but I have played a lot of Battlefield. The impressions I've heard of Battlefront actually worry me in that it sounds like it might be too shallow for my tastes on a gameplay front.

The token pickups and cards/"hands" for perks and all that stuff already feels like the artifice of a "game" is poking through a bit too much, and simplified vehicle controls add to that. I imagined something much closer to Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but it sounds like this is fundamentally different in several key aspects so I'm not sure it's ultimately something I'll be interested in. I'd love to be able to play it myself and actually see exactly what it is.

EVIL

Sure, but in this case, a monkey could probably reliably fly an xwing, so why not keep them like jets in BF4? those where fine! if you wanted to learn to fly one, they where easy enough to get off the ground and fly a few rounds and maybe dogfight, but they also had depth to a point where you can pick off infantry on the ground if you are good enough. Don't adjust to the lowest denominator, but choose something where if they invest time and develop proper skill, their game time can be much more rewarding.

Hard to believe you guys have so much trouble flying in BF4. You are all using Veteran controls (triggers for accel/brake), right? It's damned easy. Easier than it was in BF3 even. Already feels "arcadey". I hope there's an option in SW to stick with the standard control scheme.

Yup i use the same setting. It isnt really that hard and im saying that as someone who prefers to play as infantry

-griffy-

Banned
Don't adjust to the lowest denominator, but choose something where if they invest time and develop proper skill, their game time can be much more rewarding.

But I think they specifically want to adjust to the lowest common denominator. They want anyone who picks up a Star Wars game to be able to fly an X-wing and blow up some enemies. They could do it like the BF games, but they probably don't want to because they want everyone to play the Star Wars game and have fun.

I agree with that, and my explanation up there wasn't inherently meant as a defense of the game but just an explanation. I've never played Battlefront, but I have played a lot of Battlefield. The impressions I've heard of Battlefront actually worry me in that it sounds like it might be too shallow for my tastes on a gameplay front.

The token pickups and cards/"hands" for perks and all that stuff already feels like the artifice of a "game" is poking through a bit too much, and simplified vehicle controls add to that. I imagined something much closer to Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but it sounds like this is fundamentally different in several key aspects so I'm not sure it's ultimately something I'll be interested in. I'd love to be able to play it myself and actually see exactly what it is.

Yeah, the ship "pickups", the cards...it is oddly very gamey and I worry about how immersive it will be. Kinda feels like those "pickups" just turn vehicles into killstreak-esque minigames.

Have they explained how the pickups generate? People complain about players waiting for vehicles in Battlefield--I wonder if "waiting for battle pickup" will be an issue here.

Still holding out judgment, and hoping vehicles aren't ONLY available via the pickup.

Gurish

Do we know if the Tatooine trailer was running on PS4?

I've noticed that in EA's press conference they specifically said "this is running on ps4" when they played the Hoth trailer, but when they played the co-op trailer on Sony's press conference they didn't.

I think it might have been the PC version, it looked better than the snow, did anyone see the Tatooine level running on PS4 and looking the same as the co-op trailer?

I've noticed that in EA's press conference they specifically said "this is running on ps4" when they played the Hoth trailer, but when they played the co-op trailer on Sony's press conference they didn't.

I think it might have been the PC version, it looked better than the snow, did anyone see the Tatooine level running on PS4 and looking the same as the co-op trailer?

They sure insinuated it, it had PS prompts. Whats the truth? nobody will ever now :)

That footage also ran at 900p. Which means they would've had to drop the PC resolution to 900p just to trick people into thinking it's the PS4 version. It likely looks better simply because that environment is more visually appealing than one covered in snow.

Gurish

That footage also ran at 900p. Which means they would've had to drop the PC resolution to 900p just to trick people into thinking it's the PS4 version. It likely looks better simply because that environment is more visually appealing than one covered in snow.

How do we know both ran at 900p?

Yea I don't see the excitement in dumbing down depth just because people couldn't be bothered with learning how to fly a jet in BF4 (which was not that hard, btw). If its to the point where the most advanced things can be learned after a try or two, its going to hinder the game in the long run for the reasons you have said. Accessibility doesn't inherently mean its a good thing and some franchise that became more accessible and see how fans reacted to it.

Gurish

Yeah, the lighting and environment make a huge difference.

Pixel counters

B3D has discussed the footage as someone also thought it was from the PC instead of the PS4, and it was quickly pointed out that it ran at 900p just like the Hoth footage.

Thanks, if the PS4 version do look like this at 60 than it's insane, they actually didn't lie about the target trailer being representative of the PS4 visuals ha?

93xfan

Banned

100% agree. With the mentality of some of these people, it's a wonder we even have dual stick first-person-shooters.

It's equally challenging for both teams. It still comes down to which team is better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am someone who likes that the vehicles are going to be easier to control but thing it's a too simplified as of E3. A middle ground would be nice.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I just rewatched all the E3 videos. This game looks incredible. But is it weird that I am just not feeling it. And the thing is, I am not exactly sure whats bothering me. The E3 footage they showed was heavily edited for sure. And I get why, because they wanted to show all the elements of the game in 1 small video.

Do we have a footage of 1 entire match? beginning to end. I just don't get how its going to play.

KKRT00

They chose to decrease fidelity or keep the fidelity? Clarification is needed :)

I'm so glad that they didn't go for the resolution. The game looks superb.

Keep. Xbone and PS4 will only differ in resolution and maybe some minor tweaks, so they kept fidelity and reduced resolution.

This is a fucking tragedy. What the hell is wrong with them? Why do devs always do this?
Splitscreen doubles everything. Rendering, bandwidth. It probably doesn't work well enough on multiplayer maps for DICE to use it. The offline/co-op maps are tailored for co-op so they are probably less hardware demanding.

I mean unless you want to play at 720p and 30fps (likely less) multiplayer splitscreen isn't feasible.

Foxix Von

Splitscreen doubles everything. Rendering, bandwidth. It probably doesn't work well enough on multiplayer maps for DICE to use it. The offline/co-op maps are tailored for co-op so they are probably less hardware demanding.

I mean unless you want to play at 720p and 30fps (likely less) multiplayer splitscreen isn't feasible.

Yeah, under normal circumstances I'd agree with the outcry. But getting that to work well in this particular title would probably be a frigging nightmare, if not completely impossible to implement in a playable state.

Walpurgis

Banned

I do. Lower graphics are also acceptable. I don't know why developers are so against providing people with options
unless it is "options" to spend money

Top Bottom