• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront gameplay

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So.. I was under the impression the two BF4 gameplay videos we got were PS4 gameplay. If these aren't, are the console versions confirmed 60fps? I assumed they were, but this guy is saying it was 30fps on the show floor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=539&v=6Bs9lqZhEXs
Split screen is 30fps and there are some reports of a 30/60 option (which I think may just be confusion over split screen) but it is playable at 60fps on console.

Afrikan

edit- probably bad idea..

I'm actually grateful for Frostbite. Amazing Visuals that can handle 60fps.

I actually wish EA Tiburon would play with the idea of using it for Madden.

Futurematic

I never played the original series but this does look pretty cool. Not, say, Rogue Squadron IV cool (RIP Factor 5), but I'll take a little starfighter/ground combo as need be. Not really sure though, no single player campaign...
Splitscreen on PS4 is 30fps, otherwise it's 60fps.
... but huh, couch co-op, more games need this, and my buddy and I can certainly crush a full day marathon once a month or so. Maybe I should...
There's no ADS, you can zoom in to like a reticle view, but no ADS.
... think about gettings this, as I hate ADS (I'm too old, Goldeneye, Halo, PC FPS land set my opinion) and the loss of mobility but...
Rewatching the footage: The TTK looks really good. There's a thin line between too long and too short. Battlefield's was good and this one looks pretty good as well. You want enough to be able to pull off some moves but short enough that the person you are shooting doesn't always escape. It varies greatly between games but CoD's is far too short even for the kind of game they are going for. Ghosts was horrible because the maps were very open but TTK was still super short. If you want a short TTK then it's gotta be cramped corridors winding throughout the map. Short lines of sight.
... this all sounds much much better then I thought it would, short TTK is a dealbreaker for me. I just wish there were bots or something, not enough games have that and honestly online MP never really been my main jam...
Niklas Fegraeus said:
We have a feature called Missions that allow you to play solo or cooperatively with bots on or offline
... oh, quite, SOLD!, assuming reviews hold up.

Yeah. I really have not been following this game that much, damn I'm an idiot. I am now way more excited for this. If DICE can pull this and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst off, that's a hell of a double punch.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wait this is still 60fps?

Thought it was 30 and I was still impressed as hell.

Of this is 60fps, then we are bordering on Naughty God Black Magic here...

CUD

Banned
I really with this were coming to Steam, I don't hate Origin but I'd rather stick to the one digital distribution service than switch between the two for just a couple of games.

It does look promising, even though it's currently lacking space battles and such it does look quite good.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
True
I had hoped after shipping two games with FB on current consoles they made some kind of breakthrough and didn't need to choose one over the other :D

Even Dragon Age (which is pretty but hardly groundbreaking) ran at a lower resolution on XB1 and 30 FPS on PS4 IIRC, it's a clearly good engine but it can't work miracles.

So, I've heard that flying is a one stick bore fest.

Is this true? I'm wondering if they can do anything to improve the flying experience prior to launch.

Is this true? I'm wondering if they can do anything to improve the flying experience prior to launch.

Yeah, it is ridiculously basic at this point, but someone at DICE said it's going to go through a lot of changes between now and launch. I wouldn't expect anything more complicated than prior DICE BF games, though.

Neverfade

I'll probably get flak for this but I'd rather flying be too simple than the alternative. As someone who put some city miles on both BF3 and 4 I still fly jets directly into the nearest mountain to this day.

Woorloog

Banned
Does anyone know if split screen works in online multiplayer? This would be so amazing if it did.
There's no MP splitscreen, this was confirmed long ago, i think.

The game seems to be all about accessibility, any effects on depth or skillgap be damned.

No doubt because they want to sell as much the game as the can, to capitalize on TFA hype.

I have heard people who have played the game pretty much confirm it's one stick to fly and apparently it's disastrously shit.

mosdl

Christ, that sound design.

If there is one thing Dice excel at its sound design.

For BF they have done videos showing them record weapon sounds from multiple distances/etc - they should make a parody video of them testing out Star Wars weapons by inserting Dice employees into the movies.

RoKKeR

Would be disappointed if it's 720 on Xbox. Seems that a great majority of games now have been able to move past that resolution.

0racle

Ok

Wait,

I have not been here in hundreds of pages. What Have I missed?

was the snow/desert level PS4? or was it PC? smoke and mirrors?

b0bbyJ03

What are the chances Gaf will have a gamer ID/tag exchange thread for this game? I started gaming on PC last year but have not built a friends list yet and I def don't wanna play this alone. I've got a ton of friends on PS4 but we are all in our 30s so its even getting hard to coordinate on that as well.... I'd like to add a bunch of people to both lists.

TCRS

Banned
well the gameplay trailer was excellent and gave me a shot of hype and nostalgia but not even 64 players and no space fights... eh I don't know. probably not getting it at release.

I have heard people who have played the game pretty much confirm it's one stick to fly and apparently it's disastrously shit.

Which is a huge shame. Elite: Dangerous really spoiled me as far as space combat goes, but I wasn't expecting anything like that--still, an "accessible" flight model sounds like a horrible idea.

Ok

Wait,

I have not been here in hundreds of pages. What Have I missed?

was the snow/desert level PS4? or was it PC? smoke and mirrors?

Snow level was definitely labelled PS4. Desert level has PS4 buttons on the HUD.
Strangely they seem to be different builds even though they were released at the same time. Tatooine has button labels on the HUD but Hoth does not.

Would be disappointed if it's 720 on Xbox. Seems that a great majority of games now have been able to move past that resolution.

I would hope that they would finally invest some time into the Xbone version. But i doubt it. If that PS4 gameplay is stii/already only 900p 1,i dont see the same for the Xbone version :(

Yeah, it is ridiculously basic at this point, but someone at DICE said it's going to go through a lot of changes between now and launch. I wouldn't expect anything more complicated than prior DICE BF games, though.

Yeah. There was also a complaint about there not being transition animations for when pilots get into their cockpits.

Seems like a weird omission considering they aren't putting any effort into a single player aspect of this title.

They should be going for as much in the moment immersion as they can.

Hey, do we know what modes this will have?

I really hope there's traditional Conquest.

And how does the single player/co-op with bots work? Is every mode supported? That would be awesome.

MADGAME

1080p/60fps on PS4 would be best, but if it's a choice I'm glad Dice would go with 900p/60fps as opposed to 1080p/30fps.

Hope they can optimize it to make it 1080/60, I wonder what the chances of that happening are.

Top Bottom