• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars IX Open Spoilers, Leaks, Trash Talk, etc. (***Warning SPOILERS***)

PanzerAzel

And the fact that this was necessary is almost entirely Rian's fault. He fucked up royally. He is a pretentious narcissist and I hope he never gets anywhere near Star Wars ever again.
Good luck with that, apparently Kennedy’s kicking an entire new trilogy his way. Or at least last I heard that was the plan.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
They had 2 options for Episode IX, in my opinion:
  1. Continue with everything The Last Jedi set up and its consequences, leading to a terrible but consistent trilogy.
  2. Ignore Episode VIII and prove to the world that you just wasted an entire film for pure shock value and end up with a terrible AND an inconsistent trilogy.
I think the first option was the lesser of two evils. They were fucked either way but option N° 1 at least justifies the existence of The Last Jedi, my hatred for it notwithstanding.
It should have justified its own existence. They had to do something about it since it pretty much killed the franchise.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It should have justified its own existence. They had to do something about it since it pretty much killed the franchise.

Yep. They had no choice. The Last Jedi dead ended the story and set it down a fucking retarded path, especially considering there was only one more movie planned for the story. They had nowhere to go but a fast rewind (hence the massively rapid pacing), followed by characters showing up basically giving soliloquies about why every single plot point in The Last Jedi was wrong.

I'm not even usually a harsh critic of franchises like this, but I still cannot believe Disney greenlit The Last Jedi.

brian0057

Banned
I agree.
But I'm getting in the mindset of "Ok, The Last Jedi didn't work out so well. What do we do now?".
Of course, I wish Episode VIII was different than the piece of crap we ultimately got but I'm talking about a post-hoc solution.

MilkyJoe

No it isn't. The first Order knows they have them and that they can't escape, any kind of maneuver besides waiting for them to run out of fuel while shelling them from afar would incur losses that aren't required. They did it partially out of hubris but it was also technically the smart move. You keep talking about hyper-space like you don't understand how it works, that there are specific routes and such and what does it even mean to be cornered in space? They can literally fly in any direction.

Kylo wanted her to find him and come to him, how do you think she knew where to go?

She escapes Snoke's ship and rendezvous with the Falcon on Crait, how are these hard dots to connect?

Yeah, that description doesn't help you at all because you're saying the First Order should have behaved differently from how they did in the past. Even within the same film their hubris was already displayed when they weren't worried about Poe's single ship. When have the First Order ever been tactical masterminds? Also someone not doing the exact right thing isn't a plot hole, how would you ever survive a Shakespearean tragedy with such a line of thinking?

Jesus wept, I'd reply to this if i was at a computer.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Does anybody remember the classes of Jedi from KotOR? If I remember correctly the ability to heal makes Rey a jedi consular. That is actually a pretty cool nod to that lore even if it is unintended.

I guess the other question is; was Ben also a consular that didn't know he could heal things until Rey showed him it was possible?

Also, the theater I watched in had a horrible picture. When did Rey get shot/mortally wounded in the fight with palpatine or his guards?

prag16

Banned
Also, the theater I watched in had a horrible picture. When did Rey get shot/mortally wounded in the fight with palpatine or his guards?
Not in any obvious way. Which is silly because she seems to beat Palpatine relatively easily... and then she's just dead. They should have made it seem like more of a struggle, and maybe have her get extremely electrocuted herself in the process of defeating Palpatine (as Vader did in RoTJ).

Airbus Jr

Banned
Does anybody remember the classes of Jedi from KotOR? If I remember correctly the ability to heal makes Rey a jedi consular. That is actually a pretty cool nod to that lore even if it is unintended.

I guess the other question is; was Ben also a consular that didn't know he could heal things until Rey showed him it was possible?

Jedi never had the abilities to heal in the original movie

Its all made up stories from Disney because if its were then Luke Skywalker wouldve grew his hand back then

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Jedi never had the abilities to heal in the original movie

Its all made up stories from Disney because if its were then Luke Skywalker wouldve grew his hand back then
They could in the games like kotor and, I think, dark forces jedi knight which were cannon in the old EU.

I also think Jacen could heal if I remember correctly? Or was it Anakin Solo?

Jacen definitely had the ability to bio-locate like rey and kylo. He was the most bad ass grey jedi ever until they ruined his character by turning him into a sith and having him kill mara jade skywalker.

There is a president for jedi being able to heal. The old movies don't even show the height of the force given that luke never really let loose until the thrawn trilogy of books.

Last edited:

thequestion

If there ever was a Star Wars film that deserves a lord of the rings extended edition blu ray - it’s episode IX.

I’m also now in full JJ defender mode. He took one of the toughest jobs - trying to follow the worst Star Wars film ever made. JJ is a smart dude, and knew how rabid the fan base is, but he did it anyway - and he almost succeeds in repairing the extreme damage Rian did to the series. If only JJ had actually filmed this movie as a 4 hour cut and then cut it down for the theatrical release. Maybe a 4 hour cut actually exists? I doubt it - wish it were true though, because I really appreciated his effort.

eot

Banned
I just got back from seeing it. Have to say I was bored almost the entire time. Sure, it was better than the flaming wreck that is TLJ, and I like the way this movie goes out of its way to step on it, but it's still just bland.

The plotting is a mess. I guess some of that can be blamed on TLJ doing nothing, and there being too much to cover in this one. But I mean, one second Poe's girlfriend want to kill him, 5 minutes later they're reminiscing or something, and right after that she gives up her meal ticket so they can do some moronic charge into a star destroyer. What is this shit?

Not a fan of how they escalate the force powers into complete absurdity. Never thought Rey was going to turn, because then Disney can't sell her to little girls. Space battles are meh, there hasn't been a single good one in the new trilogy. Finn sacrificing himself for the second time and not dying, fucking kill him already. Leia doing force seppuku, is that a family trait now? There was also too much random, unnecessary action for my tastes, give the movie some time to breathe dammit

Oh and Frienzone Finn is so fucking useless, all he does is run after Rey. Like when she goes on that boat, wtf is his reaction "we have to go after her". Hey idiot, she doesn't fucking need you and realistically you'll just die and distract her.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Does Jennifer Hale's voice in the "jedi voices part" make Bastila canon? Also one of the Sith legions is called Revan...is there still hope for KOTOR and SWTOR to become canon? (Installing TOR again so I can beat Revan).
Fuck I didn't catch that. I usually spot her voice right away

Saruhashi

Banned
They had 2 options for Episode IX, in my opinion:
  1. Continue with everything The Last Jedi set up and its consequences, leading to a terrible but consistent trilogy.
  2. Ignore Episode VIII and prove to the world that you just wasted an entire film for pure shock value and end up with a terrible AND an inconsistent trilogy.
I think the first option was the lesser of two evils. They were fucked either way but option N° 1 at least justifies the existence of The Last Jedi, my hatred for it notwithstanding.

I agree a bit and disagree a bit.

One of the things that immediately jumped out to me was that JJ should have used the opening crawl to put significant distance between Episodes 8 and 9. Like 10 years or something.

The opening crawl is a staple of Star Wars and in most of the movies it is actually used to put distance between the movies that also has the benefit of allowing for fan theories, world building etc. It even allows for some characters to evolve off screen without being a major plothole. For example, between 5 and 6 Luke basically went from a total novice to a Jedi master and the bad guys almost built an entire new Death Star. All off screen.

The opening crawl presents an opportunity that they could have easily used.

As a very very rough example.
Its 10 years after the battle of Crait. After the passing of General Leia the resistance is relying on Poe to lead them. Rey is building a Jedi school with her apprentice Finn. After the death of Snoke and the humiliation at Crait the First Order fractured and has been unable to gain a foothold in the galaxy. So the resistance have become the defenders of a New Republic and they are under threat from both First Order and Sith terrorist factions. Sith Lord Kylo Ren and his apprentice <new character> have blah blah blah blah and if they are successful they could bring the entire galaxy to its knees.

Then just try and keep the movie simple from there.
Rey and co try to stop Kylo Ren early in the movie and get their asses beat.
Whatever Kylo Ren's plan was allows him to find and kill Hux and reunite the first order (Sith Order?).
Now the baddies are going to kill the resistance and the new republic and set up the Second Galactic Empire.
Rey and Finn have a showdown with Kylo and his apprentice. Good guys win.
Just keep it simple basically. Have a space battle and some lightsaber stuff and the bad guys lose.
No returning Original Trilogy stuff AT ALL. No force ghosts or any of that stuff. Let the new characters have an entire movie to themselves.

It's not impossible. These dudes are professional writers.

(Don't misunderstand, I am not necessarily saying these are good ideas that I have suggested and I think following up on TLJ was always going to be tough since it is a bit of dead end. Just that it is possible to use the opening crawl as a mechanism for taking the story in a different direction.)

Last edited:

Caffeine

Does Jennifer Hale's voice in the "jedi voices part" make Bastila canon? Also one of the Sith legions is called Revan...is there still hope for KOTOR and SWTOR to become canon? (Installing TOR again so I can beat Revan).
naa she voices Aayla Secura the blue twilek chick.

NeoGiffer

$175m WW weekend :O

EMWTnLiXkAIjUri

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One of the things that immediately jumped out to me was that JJ should have used the opening crawl to put significant distance between Episodes 8 and 9. Like 10 years or something.
i know lots of people think dropping the Emperor in the crawl was a lame move but IMO i loved it. the way the movie just jumped into the middle of the action - THAT is what i want from SW. TLJ entirely upended that tradition by having no time jump at all for the first time in the franchise, and it hurt it so much. all the OT and PT films begin in the middle of the action and it's nice to be back in that mode. for that reason the time skip at the start of this works really well for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
feel like IX will make rewatching VII and VIII far more interesting, people will probably mine all kinds of stuff that sort of connects to where it ended up. for one thing it may retroactively improve Luke's whole arc. at the very least, it'll be more interesting than re-watching VII after seeing VIII.

Paracelsus

Internationally, Rise of Skywalker delivered a $198 million debut overseas from 52 markets, giving the film a $373.5 million global launch. Leading the way was the UK with a $26.8 million opening followed by Germany ($21.8m), France ($15.2m), Japan ($14.6m), Australia ($12.6m), China ($12.1m), Spain ($7.6m), Mexico ($7.4m), Brazil ($5.9m), Italy ($5.9m), Russia ($5.8m) and Sweden ($4.6m). The film is now open in 98% of the international marketplace with January debuts still set for Vietnam, Korea and the Philippines.

UK for TLJ was 37.3m, and this won't have any legs.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i thought Leia's death was handled very well. rather than resorting to cheap nostalgia tricks they just had Chewie crying and you really felt that shit. also there was a shot of R2 at her bedside making sad sounds that i felt was emotionally very poignant. you had Rian referencing the classic projection of Leia in the last film, and here they had R2 in a similar (but not callbacky) arrangement, standing to the side with Leia in front of him. emotional scenes from robots and aliens, this is what i love.

honestly had Carrie Fischer lived i think we would have gotten a far different and likely better movie, and all this "who to blame?"stuff wouldn't even be a consideration. it is a very sad reality that she is gone, in a way the fanbase has had to deal with this, going through the usual steps of grief, anger, denial, etc. lashing out bc of things we cannot control. the characters & actors mean a great deal to a lot of people, at least they got the opportunity to do a victory lap, even if things didn't work out the way we all hoped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Internationally, Rise of Skywalker delivered a $198 million debut overseas from 52 markets, giving the film a $373.5 million global launch. Leading the way was the UK with a $26.8 million opening followed by Germany ($21.8m), France ($15.2m), Japan ($14.6m), Australia ($12.6m), China ($12.1m), Spain ($7.6m), Mexico ($7.4m), Brazil ($5.9m), Italy ($5.9m), Russia ($5.8m) and Sweden ($4.6m). The film is now open in 98% of the international marketplace with January debuts still set for Vietnam, Korea and the Philippines.

Damn. That's brutal. I wonder if was TLJ killing interest in the trilogy or the lackluster reviews that contributed the most to this poor performance.

cryptoadam

Banned

Look at that CHINA number. WOOF. This thing is dead in the water. Will be lucky to get 50 Million in China. Probably 500 Million DOM and top out at about 1 Billion WW.

If it does worse than TLJ it going to take the most epic spin for Disney to market this as a sucsess. Well at least those Rose Tico and Holdo action figures are flying off the shelves amrite.

cryptoadam

Banned
It wasn't bad, a step up from TLJ but thats not saying much. Entertaining pop corn fare that won't be remembered in a week. No one is going to look back at this movie as some sort of seminal event in cinema. Its no Avengers Endgame/Infinity war. Heck its not Revenge of the Sith. Acting was good, action was decent, but the plot was just boring and you knew where the story was going.

I also got a really big Rogue One vibe from this movie for some reason. Honestly felt like some scenes were straight out of the movie. And enough with these mcguffin chases. The whole movie was contrived convinences to chase down a mcguffin. Lets go to this planet where Lando just happens to be with this ship. Lets crash and get sucked into a pit that is exactly where we need to be. Etc etc.... The whole first half was go from point A to point B to get item X.

I will say at least the cast was together for a good portion of the movie and Poe was pretty entertaining. Finn was useless as usual, and just blurt out you think you have the force to Rey already you dunce.

The whole thing went at a breakneck pace yet felt boring. This should of been dragged out over 3 movies and instead JJ had to damage control and make it into 1.

In the end once the initial this was better than TLJ and was entertained while I turned my brain off wears off, fans will realize that this basically shat and invalidated the OT and PT. No Anakin didn't kill the Emeperor and his redemption was somewhat un earned. No the rebels didn't save the galaxy. Somehow a Palpatine is now a Skywalker. And Palps plan was just stupid, kill me so I can possess your body, oh you killed me but I am not posessing your body. And I get it he is power hungry but how about you move on from ruling the galaxy. Clearly you don't need the money or power if A- you can survive dying and bring yourself back to life and B- can afford to create an army of star destroyers that has never been seen before. So why do you want to rule the galaxy again?

Its MOS or BvS level movie. Decent enough but not something most people will revisit and watch multiple times.

eot

Banned
And Palps plan was just stupid, kill me so I can possess your body, oh you killed me but I am not posessing your body.
Also, when she doesn't kill him he sends the guards and he "flies" back as if he's protecting himself from her. Dude, you just wanted her to kill you, wtf are you thinking?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Also, when he doesn't kill her he sends the guards and he "flies" back as if he's protecting himself from her. Dude, you just wanted her to kill you, wtf are you thinking?

Most likely because of all the reshoots and editing the whole plan was nonsense. At first actually Palps was supposed to take over that Matt guys body but they cut him out of the movie completely. The whole put my sould in your body thing was probably cobbled together last minute. Original leaks had Palps making younger clones or someshit and he was going to pull a childs play and transfer his "soul" into the young guys body.

sol_bad

At the end, I just wish that Rey didn't have her own light saber and I wish she said her last name was Palpatine.

Not having a light saber would at least carry through what Rian was setting up. Knowing Rey has a light saber means she'll start the Jedi Order again and history will repeat itself IMO.

As for the name, I can't remember who but I think it was Luke who told Rey that her name doesn't define her. So yeah, keeping the Palpatine name would have been cool as it doesn't define her

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
At the end, I just wish that Rey didn't have her own light saber and I wish she said her last name was Palpatine.

Not having a light saber would at least carry through what Rian was setting up. Knowing Rey has a light saber means she'll start the Jedi Order again and history will repeat itself IMO.

As for the name, I can't remember who but I think it was Luke who told Rey that her name doesn't define her. So yeah, keeping the Palpatine name would have been cool as it doesn't define her

Nothing Rian set up should ever be acknowledged again.

I'm glad they showed her with a new lightsaber, I'd love a new trilogy where Rey is at the very least featured, I want to see OP as fuck Jedi fighting OP as fuck Sith, I want more giant lightning storms that disable whole fleets of ships, but the good guy version of that, too. There's so much more than they can do with these than just bashing light sabers into each other. Loved her taking the Skywalker name, honestly.

YukiOnna

It was... a mess but understandable mess.

Felt like every plot decision made was in an effort to negate TLJ, but also what JJ planned and expected TLJ and RotS to end up being. Shit like Snoke and Palpatine came off as incredibly "meh" because there was no lead up to any of this or it felt like an obvious correction. I know why he did these things, but that's also what disappoints me because we didn't end up getting a solid consistent trilogy no matter how 7/10 I found TFA.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah me too. But I liked it in an Attack of the Clones way. Bad but entertaining.
Yes! I was thinking it felt like a prequel a little bit and that’s a great thing imo. It had that old school energy. Not afraid to be silly. More cartoonish and pulp. JJ seriously getting overlooked by some zealous folks rn

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Whoa the second half of this movie goes off the rails and becomes totally bat shit insane. It is so eye rolling, cringy, tropey and rip offey. I was laughing myself silly at how ridiculous and over the top it got.

From the moment that star destroyer shows up with a death star cannon on this movie just loses itself. Its pretty bad, but maybe so bad it becomes good? I mean not only is there a death star again, but 100's of ships with death stars. And Palps is now going to destroy every planet in the galaxy. Its like you want stakes, while lets just go wild with the stakes. And then Lukes ghost is like we knew you were a Palps all along but you are really really goody too shoes Mary Sue so here's a lightsaber, a wayfinder and oh my ship that was drenched in water for 30 years but works perfectly fine. And lets rip of Jedi and Avatar and Endgame. And lets let Ian go crazy over the top. And BTW somehow Rey and Ben's life force brings Palps back from the dead and he can ligthning strike hundreds of ships but Rey and 2 lightsabers is stronger than his blast. I guess because all the Jedi's are inside her LOL.

Sorry but the second half of the movie was just too much. The first half was a bit boring but was kinda working for me but then it just flew right off the rails and went into maximum overdrive. Either JJ or someone at Disney was like lets make the 3rd act to end all 3rd acts. Take everything from every big action movie the last 2 decades and crank it to 11 and cram er in.

This may be the greatest parody of a Star Wars movie ever made. Spaceballs aint got nothing on the TROS.

20cent

Banned
I hated TLJ... but in retrospect it had some interesting and cool scenes...

JJ Abrams is really overrated anyway, I don't know how he became the new king of pop culture. (remember the lens flares in Star Trek?)
The only "good" thing he did in his career was Lost, and he had Lindelof with him.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's been rumored for awhile that it's been killed. And it's not rumored Kennedy is done too.
Kennedy will probably stay around for awhile. The movies still bring in bank and Disney will be too afraid too fire her because of fear of backlash from the "muh diversity" and "muh misogyny" crowds.

decisions

Still blaming TLJ huh? I guess people will see what they want to see.
Whoa the second half of this movie goes off the rails and becomes totally bat shit insane. It is so eye rolling, cringy, tropey and rip offey. I was laughing myself silly at how ridiculous and over the top it got.

From the moment that star destroyer shows up with a death star cannon on this movie just loses itself. Its pretty bad, but maybe so bad it becomes good? I mean not only is there a death star again, but 100's of ships with death stars. And Palps is now going to destroy every planet in the galaxy. Its like you want stakes, while lets just go wild with the stakes. And then Lukes ghost is like we knew you were a Palps all along but you are really really goody too shoes Mary Sue so here's a lightsaber, a wayfinder and oh my ship that was drenched in water for 30 years but works perfectly fine. And lets rip of Jedi and Avatar and Endgame. And lets let Ian go crazy over the top. And BTW somehow Rey and Ben's life force brings Palps back from the dead and he can ligthning strike hundreds of ships but Rey and 2 lightsabers is stronger than his blast. I guess because all the Jedi's are inside her LOL.

Sorry but the second half of the movie was just too much. The first half was a bit boring but was kinda working for me but then it just flew right off the rails and went into maximum overdrive. Either JJ or someone at Disney was like lets make the 3rd act to end all 3rd acts. Take everything from every big action movie the last 2 decades and crank it to 11 and cram er in.

This may be the greatest parody of a Star Wars movie ever made. Spaceballs aint got nothing on the TROS.

Dude I was laughing so hard I felt people were getting mad at me even though I was trying to be quiet.

This movie is hilariously bad, and not in the fun way like AOTC.

Wunray

Just got back from seeing it. The movie wasn't that bad, maybe cause I despised TLJ so much this was an improvement. Btw at the end did Find get cucked?

Top Bottom