• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

All right done for the night lol played basically the whole day.

I'm a week away from reaching winter:

- Hay will last me maybe until 3 or so days before end of month. I'll cut grass to see if that gives me enough to finish off the season, enter winter and sell the animals.

- I'm at level 70ish in the mine, so in this last week of fall I should be able to reach level 80, and then all throughout winter getting the gold ore to make the better sprinklers. Basically I'll put enough sprinklers because not having to do pour water on ANY crops sounds fantastic.

- I'm at 7/10 hearts with the single person I'm pursuing. Luckily sunflowers are her favorite thing and I'll have 5 left by the time fall ends, so I should reach her level 10 hearts easily before the year ends.

- Year 2 I'm going to try to have at least half of the farm with sprinklers producing what I need. Get a horse. Probably get a child too.

I've seen what animals can give with gold stars now. Each gold star cheese/milk gives 150g per each one. That's just not that much to have to deal with petting them each day, getting the eggs, putting the hay, making sure there's enough hay, milking the cows, and putting the items into the machines then going back to them.

So year two I won't be getting animals. I'll focus on fishing. The plan would be to use my spare time fishing on the days the crops don't harvest.

How do I grow grass? Doesnt seem to spread and Im running out of hay in spring

It's not fast enough. Developer kind of fucked up there. The math just doesn't add up to sustain animals and the time required to do so against what they give you. And then you gotta keep into account hay and happiness. Fuck that.

Seems like getting animals is not worth the hassle since grass doesnt grow as fast and hay is too expensive for what you get back

Not sure how to make grass grow any faster and now Ive run out :/

I have to rely on buying hay or wait until the grass grows, but it's way too slow.

Yeah I feel bad for wasting almost 20k on the two animal buildings plus the animals. My best advice for people not there yet is to focus on getting sprinklers and fishing.

fleck0

It's not fast enough. Developer kind of fucked up there. The math just doesn't add up to sustain animals and the time required to do so against what they give you. And then you gotta keep into account hay and happiness. Fuck that.

Yeah this has been irking me too, with 100g for a grass starter it's certainly better than buying hay, but my 2 chickens devour everything I plant in their pen way too fast.

Yeah this has been irking me too, with 100g for a grass starter it's certainly better than buying hay, but my 2 chickens devour everything I plant in their pen way too fast.

if you're only at chickens right now, imho build a silo (it isn't that expensive), cut the grass in your map, keep the chickens until the hay is out, and then sell them. Don't get cows. You'll spend 12k and materials to get the barn and the 4 cows.

Juice

Played the first 15 days of spring and other than totally feeling like Harvest Moon fanfic, it is also objectively better than any HM game since Friends of Mineral town.

So I guess I'm in this to win it.

I just hope that controller support is tightened up soon. Feel like I need the mouse too often for precise movement.

Khezu

I kinda want to buy this, but kinda don't.

I have a lot of nostalgia for HM64/FoMT, but I'm not sure how much current me would like them. Not sure I would want to put up with a lot of tedium and stress with little pay off.

Plus it seems to have combat in it, and I did not care for rune factory at all.

Also, I don't really like the way it looks, it's not as charming as HM. I don't even know what that means.

I'll probably buy it anyway.

fleck0

if you're only at chickens right now, imho build a silo (it isn't that expensive), cut the grass in your map, keep the chickens until the hay is out, and then sell them. Don't get cows. You'll spend 12k and materials to get the barn and the 4 cows.

I have a silo just for the chicks! I'm not hurting for money (in my 1st fall) but I'm super conservative and it's more that I haven't seen my planted grass spread yet, but maybe I'm not planting enough.

I DO plan to get some cows soonish (I may wait until after my first winter), should I build a second silo? and what is the maximum hay one silo can hold?

I have a silo just for the chicks! I'm not hurting for money (in my 1st fall) but I'm super conservative and it's more that I haven't seen my planted grass spread yet, but maybe I'm not planting enough.

I DO plan to get some cows soonish (I may wait until after my first winter), should I build a second silo? and what is the maximum hay one silo can hold?

i'm pretty sure grass doesn't grow in winter from what i've heard, so don't buy animals in the winter as the plan is supposedly to stock up on hay for the winter and the animals would live off what's in your silos. Each one can hold a maximum of 200ish.

The issue is if you aren't planting grass from spring in its own area from the beginning, you won't have enough to cut before winter.

Once again I wouldn't suggest getting barn animals until a possible patch that makes the items you make from them worth more.

sqwarlock

Really want to buy this, but need opinions based on my history with similar games.

I've only played one, maybe two, Harvest Moon games. I enjoyed it, but it got old quick. Same goes for Animal Crossing, of which I've played several. That being said, I love games like Terraria and Starbound, and the RPG/Sim hooks and what looks like house decoration in this game have me intrigued.

Really want to buy this, but need opinions based on my history with similar games.

I've only played one, maybe two, Harvest Moon games. I enjoyed it, but it got old quick. Same goes for Animal Crossing, of which I've played several. That being said, I love games like Terraria and Starbound, and the RPG/Sim hooks and what looks like house decoration in this game have me intrigued.

i've played 20ish hours. I still haven't reached the end of the first year, but year two I'll likely be doing the decorating and stuff. So far it's very time consuming and it has small annoyances that could be solved with patches, which he's doing fairly regularly, but it's fun. The town feels very alive with each npc having a routine or two per day and week. There's also seasonal events in the town, like every season has 2/3 big town events.

Do animals eat wheat?

Maybe i can grow that and store it

nope, just for cooking/baking.

Darn. Wheat would have been good to use. So im shit out of luck. Ill see how long the grass starter takes, and just buy hay.

i'm sure eggs and milk will come in handy once you have a kitchen, which I just built. I guess now I gotta see how hard it is to make stuff like cake, and how much it's worth. With four animals it shouldn't be too bad as long as your animals are happy, but you might only be making 200g a day.

Got a weird bug just now.

Normal character sprite (for the farmer):
27FE562EFAB9E4D8584BA39538AD5662E218EBBE
Abnormal character sprite (note the pixel halo above the hair):
It seemed to appear after leaving the hot springs, during the bathing suit transition.

I'm kinda hoping it goes away when I reload, because it's kinda distracting.. and it might've spread to the action bar on the next day.
Edit: Restarting the game fixed it, phew.

I have a kitchen and cam make omelet. Cant recall the profit

Actually, I think it's all fine: the lesson seems to be, buy starter grass early and often and just spread it everywhere. Its growing at a good rate, it just needs to be done early

1.03 is live now.
Fixed a variety of issues, and made some changes/additions!

Gameplay Additions/Changes:
The cooking menu now looks for items in your refrigerator as well as your inventory.
Scarecrow range reduce to 8 tiles radius.
Movement speed slightly increased.
The price of mayonnaise and other artisan animal products now increased by the rancher profession.
Once you befriend someone to 2 hearts, their room is permanently unlocked, even if you go below 2 hearts again.
Auto-run is now the default setting for new characters.

Bug Fixes
Diagonal movement speed now proper.
Fixed duplicate item issue in the mines.
Ladders should no longer spawn underneath the player, locking them in place.
Fixed problems with the Community Center menu. You can now throw items down and delete them ('delete' key) in the Community Center menu.
Fixed item quality exploit.
You can now throw items down while in the crafting menu.
If you destroy the stable, you can now rebuild it.
Spa won't recharge you while the game is paused (e.g. steam overlay up).
Fixed problems with the Stardew Valley Fair fishing game.
Various stability fixes.

Hope you had a nice weekend, everyone!

SCARECROW NERF

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jesus fuck that scarecrow nerf is massive what the fuck. It was pretty high before sure, but he didn't just halve it he went above that lol. Used to be a like a 20 tile radius. Guess tomorrow first thing I gotta make some more scarecrows. Luckily I have all of my shit nearby, I might not even have to make more than 1 more until winter.

atbigelow

I think the 1.03 movement changes busted a cutscene I got into with Abigail. Got stuck walking into a wall.

Hopefully a one-time thing or gets patched again tomorrow.

Also very happy diagonal movement doesn't feel shitty anymore. While it was implemented "correctly" (as in physically accurate), it felt quite bad.

Jintor

wait. shit. harvest moon that can get patched? oh god. maybe i need this.

too many games. drowning in games. help

KScorp

jesus fuck that scarecrow nerf is massive what the fuck. It was pretty high before sure, but he didn't just halve it he went above that lol. Used to be a like a 20 tile radius. Guess tomorrow first thing I gotta make some more scarecrows. Luckily I have all of my shit nearby, I might not even have to make more than 1 more until winter.

Uh, I'm pretty sure the radius was 10 before. At least I was placing them as if the radius was 10, so I must have read it somewhere.

mileS

The rate of patches thus far is incredible. Bravo. Very important tweaks considering how many complaints it got.

I wonder if rate of time is the next thing to be tweaked. For that one I would imagine it throwing the balance off a bit and making people upset that have invested lots of time.

Bet grass will be buffed by tomorrow.

And btw, I just learned scarecrow tile =/= square

Ive been putting scarecrows like 2 steps from each other all this time lol

Itd be nice if you could see an overlay of the radius when placing one down

Corpekata

Banned
So, chickens. When I bought them it said they will lay an egg every day. But they're not. Is there some other factors here? I have hay for them.

Seil

Uh, I'm pretty sure the radius was 10 before. At least I was placing them as if the radius was 10, so I must have read it somewhere.

Nope, the description for the scarecrows stated 20. You may have assumed a diameter of 20 for some reason and divided it?

So, chickens. When I bought them it said they will lay an egg every day. But they're not. Is there some other factors here? I have hay for them.

You need to make sure they are eating every night... took me a few days to figure out how exactly to do that... :

Buy/cut grass to get hay. Put hay on "bench" in the coop. They will eat overnight. Make a silo to store hay, which will auto-teleport haystacks into coops and barns, which can then be placed onto the bench

KScorp

Nope, the description for the scarecrows stated 20. You may have assumed a diameter of 20 for some reason and divided it?

Maybe it was from a forum post or old wiki entry.

In any case, my misunderstanding just makes this nerf less painful for me, haha.

Wanace

If you let your animals out to graze does that count as eating? I think in harvest moon you could have them graze and they wouldn't need fodder.

KScorp

Well, the movement change has been reverted due to it breaking events. At least we know he's working on fixing it, the new movement felt a lot better.

ultrazilla

How do I fill my water pitcher? Is there a specific area I have to go to? I thought I could just go up to the little pond we have in our farm but it wouldn't fill.

So after playing this for so long, I have to ask, do you guys think Id like Terraria?

I liked Minecraft, but felt too limited playing on PS4...but I like playing on console for split-screen and ease of setup. It's too bad it lacks a bunch of features.

Is Terraria better suited on PS4/split screen?

Sorry to ask this here, but I am in love with this game and want to explore similar titles. I would try Animal Crossing if I had a 3DS

VandalD

So after playing this for so long, I have to ask, do you guys think Id like Terraria?

I liked Minecraft, but felt too limited playing on PS4...but I like playing on console for split-screen and ease of setup. It's too bad it lacks a bunch of features.

Is Terraria better suited on PS4/split screen?

Sorry to ask this here, but I am in love with this game and want to explore similar titles. I would try Animal Crossing if I had a 3DS
Terraria is pretty different from this and Minecraft. It's hard to say. If you like side-scrolling combat, and aren't opposed to doing a lot of digging for ore, you could easily dump 100+ hours into Terraria. I love Terraria, but I wouldn't recommend it purely based on liking this game. If you had a 3DS, Rune Factory 4 is a lot closer to Stardew Valley. Animal Crossing is pretty different too. It leans far more on the social gameplay. I think there's a demo of Terraria for consoles, so at least you can give that a shot.

The event movement glitch has been hotfixed (reverted to old movement system) and the community tab buttons, which were broken in 1.03, were also hotfixed. Dude works fast.

Unfortunately the game hardlocked while I was playing Journey of the Prairie King. It was a bad run, but still.. breaks my prairie heart.

FiraB

Banned
YpXBkqF.png

I'm stuck inside a object (my stuffed giant rabbit) after upgrading my house to the final tier...

I think I'm screwed on this save :(

I like what I've seen so far on DansGaming. Seems like a pretty chill game and the Harvest Moon itch-scratching is real. Probably wait awhile before picking it up myself though as I don't know if I'd have the time to enjoy it fully right now. Also could stand to benefit from some more patches from what I understand, so letting it become more refined would be worth the wait for me.

Besides Harvest Moon, kinda reminds me more of Banished TBH, which I should really go back and play (another game made by one guy). I'm not sure why people are comparing this to Terraria - the core gameplay is pretty different. Maybe cause it's published by Chucklefish which is making Starbound?

Kiyo

Really enjoying the game but since the latest patch I've had 2 crashes right at the end of the day (different days) when I go to save. Not sure if it's just me but feels bad to lose a whole day's progress multiple times.

Wanace

Did 1.03 fix the "popping furnace" bug? Where you grab something out of a placeable object and it pops the object out of place?

Top Bottom