• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Was struggling a bit with ship combat until I accidentally managed to disable, board and then steal a much better ship. Also been working a bit on completing some planet surveys to sell the data.
Make sure to utilize holding RB for zero-G sharp turn / aiming. Basically makes you stop and spin the ship around rapidly like on Battlestar Galacitca a bit. Far easier to aim at ships flying out of your sights.

Was this game envisioned as a mod platform?

I felt they didn’t talk about this enough in the showcase. Thinking about it more, I guess they are pushing modding hard. Wasn’t interested in mods cause am on console.

Punished Miku

I felt they didn’t talk about this enough in the showcase. Thinking about it more, I guess they are pushing modding hard. Wasn’t interested in mods cause am on console.
Seems pretty ideal for it. Endless planets and tiles to plug in basically anything you want Could plug in whole societies or different genres in far space. Universe basically holds anything you can think of.

Jooxed

Gold Member
There is a category in Creations called “Planets”, which makes this game the ultimate Mod friendly platform.

I’m sure someone will recreate Skyrim or a past GTA planet.
I was talking with my buddies about this kind of the other day. I wondered why they didn't set starfield in the fallout universe. All this going on in space while earth was a crappy wasteland lol. I guess they wanted to distance the two

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Pretty cool mods that let you add Star Wars aliens into the game, and use them as player skin presets.

GP547otakAAHXMy

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I haven’t been able to see that the removed color filter mod works. They do suggest to start a new game, so I might try that later.

chikydee

Neo Member

Probably. I bet that's why it feels so bland and empty - all the good stuff has been stripped out in order to sell as creation club content/dlc later on.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I loaded the game back up to see some of this update... and I can't believe even most of the official Bethesda creations aren't achievement friendly.

They really need to let this shit die in a fire. Unless it's full blown cheats to give you all achievements within one second or some crap. I got a free 1000 credits to spend, so I looked at the jet pack one from Bethesda, and... it disables achievements. Why even make it then? Seriously fucked.

I tried playing the game having not played since release month and had no clue wtf to do lol. Worried for the DLC later this year. I feel like I need to start the game fresh to have an idea how to play.

Punished Miku

I tried playing the game having not played since release month and had no clue wtf to do lol. Worried for the DLC later this year. I feel like I need to start the game fresh to have an idea how to play.
The menus are pretty well organized. Just go into menu, select missions (down on menu screen). They're all organized in sub tabs. Main mission, faction mission, side quest. Pick anything and it tells you where to go and will even give you a warp shortcut on the star map. Or just wander around and raid some outposts and scan stuff.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m just going to continue goofing around with mods until I find a set that will work for me. I haven’t searched yet, but we need some light sabers in this before I can try a melee build.

Nothing says deadly more than Batman in space, wielding a lightsaber, star born powers and easy access to all known ship parts in one place, and even some new ones created by mods.

I

AM

BATMAN

Finally some decent looking female outfits:
ftklXXx.jpeg

Mods for this are bits and pieces from ’Zone79’ clothing mods (vanilla body since there’s no CBBE on Xbox yet) with the Robotics Outfit (A) as the base.…the glasses are the Kawaii glasses mod yellow version.
YnWIUNO.jpeg

Surprised me how fast it came out too, Zone79 has probably 3GB of stuff up right now.

Last edited:
Don’t ever compare God Howard’s vision with Zack Snyder.
“And on that day, Zack Snyder had a vision of God Howard, and so sayeth God Howard: ‘let there be sepia filter’ so Zack Snyder added a sepia filter, and God Howard was pleased.” -pretty sure it’s in the bible somewhere.

aNED1S7.jpeg

Here’s more Kawaii Sarah with the original sepia filter as God Howard intended it 🤪

Last edited:
Another Starfield Update just dropped on Xbox, it’s 3.3 gigs. Hopefully my mods are ok.

I’m not sure if I got force booted to update or I crashed to the home screen but I kinda think it was the former.

Havoc2049

Are the new missions cool? I'll have to check them out this weekend. I put in like 120 hours into Starfield, but that was back at launch. It's been a while, but I'll probably be able to get back into the swing of things fairly quickly.

Update: mods still work fine. Hopefully this was more of an update to help modders; I know there were problems with creating master files where it would work in the Creation Kit but then fail when ported over to the actual game leaving modders scratching their heads.

On a side note: the stuff the Zone79 modder pulled off this early is even more impressive than I first thought; the outfits he made aren’t just straight asset dumps, he actually resized everything based off the character’s body dimensions, at least in the vanilla versions (you have to un-equip/re-equip for it to apply if you change body shape at ‘Enhance!’ with it equipped).

His mods are honestly making the game look more cyberpunk than Cyberpunk:
rUjZLzs.jpeg

lGN7IFA.jpeg

He even did the mod for that poster too (the credits are hilarious 🤣)

Kinda going for a Tank Girl/Tiny Tina type character… now that I can look badass and there’s a mod to remove the angry reactions from companions I can finally go Crimson Fleet instead of UC without any of them bitching about it 😁

Last edited:
Are the new missions cool? I'll have to check them out this weekend. I put in like 120 hours into Starfield, but that was back at launch. It's been a while, but I'll probably be able to get back into the swing of things fairly quickly.
It’s where I got a few of my shots from, it definitely feels like a fully fleshed out side mission. And the mission giver is definitely intriguing.

GpcOeiW.jpeg

Punished Miku

I'm not very far into this Trackers Alliance quest and its definitely seeming like a nice side quest. Nothing game changing but above average for sure. We'll see how far it goes. I cant imagine I will think its worth $7 but I got this one free.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm not very far into this Trackers Alliance quest and its definitely seeming like a nice side quest. Nothing game changing but above average for sure. We'll see how far it goes. I cant imagine I will think its worth $7 but I got this one free.
Is this part of the premium upgrade? I have that, and a Woman from the Tracker's Alliance approached me about visiting a certain location, but I tend to stick within geographic proximity when there are several side missions going at once.

Anyway, apart from whatever the hell this is, I'm running into hexagonal objective markers not removing themselves from the HUD upon completion. I have a bunch of screenshots of this happening in the very first side mission with Louisa Reyes in "The Well", which then also occurs in the second side mission with Louisa Reyes, dealing with the Trading Alliance.

TL/DR - You complete objectives (in this case, flipping the switch on fuse boxes) and in both missions you finished tasks that never remove themselves. They stay on the HUD. They stay on the shit tier indoor maps (more on this later), and they remain unchecked on your objective list. The silver lining, so far as I can tell, is that these markers remaining active and the objective being incomplete in the menu thankfully does not prevent you speaking to the NPC in question to finish the mission and get your XP. The reason I am asking about this is because "The Well" is a small area, running back to a completed objective doesn't burn up much time, just your patience. My concern is if this persists in much larger areas, or in primary story missions, it could promote the level of "fuck this" to an interval that puts me on on another leisure activity for the evening. The closest side mission in terms of tasks that has followed is the scientist with the tree, and thankfully, there were no fuck ups with running around, collecting "eggs", taking the train to different districts, and buyng the last "egg" from some lady did not present an issue. I've also encountered no difficulty with the side mission that involves retrieving what a bar tender needs, and thankfully, speech and lock picking seem to be working as intended. I'm just not encouraged by what I saw in the first two side missions for a game that seems have to be in development for eight years, has been out for nine months, and just got a mega patch.

Rather than uploading a bunch of screens with the objective markers, unchecked objectives in the menu, etc. here is a quick video that illustrates this problem of the markers not vanishing:

Really do not want to be encountering anything like that further into the game.

Back to the maps - I did not read the full patch notes, and I did not even begin the game until the patch was installed, but were these not supposed to be a major point of emphasis in QOL improvements for the player? How bad were they before? They're still really bad now.

Punished Miku

Hit level 100 finally. Got all achievements. Almost done with new game +6. Gotta finish the rest of this Tracker Alliance quest too before starting +7.

I'll probably wait to start mods until after Shattered Space so I can get those achievements too. The mods are cool but look like they're just getting started.

Punished Miku

Is this part of the premium upgrade? I have that, and a Woman from the Tracker's Alliance approached me about visiting a certain location, but I tend to stick within geographic proximity when there are several side missions going at once.

Anyway, apart from whatever the hell this is, I'm running into hexagonal objective markers not removing themselves from the HUD upon completion. I have a bunch of screenshots of this happening in the very first side mission with Louisa Reyes in "The Well", which then also occurs in the second side mission with Louisa Reyes, dealing with the Trading Alliance.

TL/DR - You complete objectives (in this case, flipping the switch on fuse boxes) and in both missions you finished tasks that never remove themselves. They stay on the HUD. They stay on the shit tier indoor maps (more on this later), and they remain unchecked on your objective list. The silver lining, so far as I can tell, is that these markers remaining active and the objective being incomplete in the menu thankfully does not prevent you speaking to the NPC in question to finish the mission and get your XP. The reason I am asking about this is because "The Well" is a small area, running back to a completed objective doesn't burn up much time, just your patience. My concern is if this persists in much larger areas, or in primary story missions, it could promote the level of "fuck this" to an interval that puts me on on another leisure activity for the evening. The closest side mission in terms of tasks that has followed is the scientist with the tree, and thankfully, there were no fuck ups with running around, collecting "eggs", taking the train to different districts, and buyng the last "egg" from some lady did not present an issue. I've also encountered no difficulty with the side mission that involves retrieving what a bar tender needs, and thankfully, speech and lock picking seem to be working as intended. I'm just not encouraged by what I saw in the first two side missions for a game that seems have to be in development for eight years, has been out for nine months, and just got a mega patch.

Rather than uploading a bunch of screens with the objective markers, unchecked objectives in the menu, etc. here is a quick video that illustrates this problem of the markers not vanishing:

Really do not want to be encountering anything like that further into the game.

Back to the maps - I did not read the full patch notes, and I did not even begin the game until the patch was installed, but were these not supposed to be a major point of emphasis in QOL improvements for the player? How bad were they before? They're still really bad now.

I do recall people talking about bugs like that last year. I would just make sure to go in the mission menu sub tab and make sure you arent on "show all targets." Just show active ones. Then select the mission you're on.

I just hit a pretty significant story moment in the main quest, and it's just getting better and better... Has to be one of the most unfairly abused games in a long time (assuming you have liked Bethesda RPGs in the past, realise they aren't for everyone).

Coming to the conclusion that the metascore is accurate, if not a little stingy, and the online reaction from many is just way out of whack (probably for predictable reasons).

Also, praise the lord for Play Anywhere and Remote Play. Going from Series X to PC to Steam Deck at various points, and it's entirely seamless. What a time to be alive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Punished Miku

Finished the other Tracker Alliance quest. Again, nothing Earth shattering but it was fun. Had a moment or two that was creative. Nice rewards.

Last edited:
The Skinthetica mod is kinda worth it on Xbox (allows you to change your appearance on to a companion or change them to you if you’re the same body type).

My new Sarah Morgan:

tS379xo.jpeg

RBErOar.jpeg

It doesn’t continue into NG+ though unfourtunately (just checked).

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out how to turn in bounties alive? I knocked them out.
My load order has:
’Useful Brigs’
‘Non-Leathal Framework’
‘Non-Leathal Framework - Useful Brigs - Patch’
‘Shade’s Immersive Looting’

Right near the top of the load order.

You can handcuff people when they’re unconscious (you need handcuffs as an item but they’re craftable and available cheap at merchants) and need to wait a bit for the animation to play out, after that you have the option of releasing them or sending them too the brig of your ship (they basically teleport there) but you need room; I have 8 slots with just two 2 brig habs.

And you can claim an extra bounty by turning them in to the generic guards of cities (has to be of the specific faction for the bounty).

Without those mods you’re just supposed to knock them out and I guess just run away and leave before they wake up and get pissy…but otherwise you basically pass the check of ‘putting a tracker on them for someone else to pick up’…just leave the area.

It’s honestly one of the most immersive set of mods the game has right now. Especially with the Freestar Ranger quests; you can bring the leaders in alive but the quest won’t recognize it, and you got a a brig with them in it 😁...and the best part is it never broke the quest.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

My load order has:
’Useful Brigs’
‘Non-Leathal Framework’
‘Non-Leathal Framework - Useful Brigs - Patch’
‘Shade’s Immersive Looting’

Right near the top of the load order.

You can handcuff people when they’re unconscious (you need handcuffs as an item but they’re craftable and available cheap at merchants) and need to wait a bit for the animation to play out, after that you have the option of releasing them or sending them too the brig of your ship (they basically teleport there) but you need room; I have 8 slots with just two 2 brig habs.

And you can claim an extra bounty by turning them in to the generic guards of cities (has to be of the specific faction for the bounty).

Without those mods you’re just supposed to knock them out and I guess just run away and leave before they wake up and get pissy…but otherwise you basically pass the check of ‘putting a tracker on them for someone else to pick up’…just leave the area.

It’s honestly one of the most immersive set of mods the game has right now. Especially with the Freestar Ranger quests; you can bring the leaders in alive but the quest won’t recognize it, and you got a a brig with them in it 😁...and the best part is it never broke the quest.
Nice, that does sound like a really nice improvement. Appreciate the details.

Top Bottom