• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thirty7ven

Banned
So then you agree the game did meet expectations?

Really?

We can name a couple of games that weren’t as hyped as Starfield and have higher metacritic/open critic and people had a field day with that. But Starfield met expectations? The one and only “Wait for Starfield”?

Trying to keep it alive and pretend nothing has happened.

Last edited:
Really?

We can name a couple of games that weren’t as hyped as Starfield and have higher metacritic/open critic and people had a field day with that. But Starfield met expectations? The one and only “Wait for Starfield”?

Trying to keep it alive and pretend nothing has happened.
I was referring to the poll in the thread.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Been playing it for a number of days now. At first I was blown away, but then I started to see illusion. I was under the impression I could explore whole planets. As in, land on a planet and just walk across the whole thing.

A lot of smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of freedom.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, just a little disappointed it didn't live up to my expectations.

Humdinger

Gold Member
There are some exceptions to the rule, but typically even the greatest minds in any medium eventually lose their creative spark as they get older. Todd is doing only what he knows, and what he knows worked best 15 years ago.

I think he's got his eye on retirement. I believe he's said that ESVI is his last game.

When you've got your eye on retirement, you are at a stage in your career when you are no longer hungry, ambitious, full of drive or creative imagination. You aren't looking for big, new challenges. You are in "coasting downhill" mode. I say this from experience (I'm retired). Someone in that stage of their career wants their remaining years to be pleasant and stress-free. They have worked hard for decades. In their minds, they are already on the beach in Tahiti (or wherever) -- one foot out the door, mentally. Certainly not in the mood to drive hard and take big risks.

killatopak

Gold Member
I think he's got his eye on retirement. I believe he's said that ESVI is his last game.

When you've got your eye on retirement, you are at a stage in your career when you are no longer hungry, ambitious, full of drive or creative imagination. You aren't looking for big, new challenges. You are in "coasting downhill" mode. I say this from experience (I'm retired). Someone in that stage of their career wants their remaining years to be pleasant and stress-free. They have worked hard for decades. In their minds, they are already on the beach in Tahiti (or wherever) -- one foot out the door, mentally. Certainly not in the mood to drive hard and take big risks.
I dunno, there’s plenty of interviews and statements where Todd Howard says it’s his dream game 25 years in the making. That would lead me to believe that he has all the motivation in the world to make this successful.

To be fair though, Todd is also notorious for lying.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I dunno, there’s plenty of interviews and statements where Todd Howard says it’s his dream game 25 years in the making. That would lead me to believe that he has all the motivation in the world to make this successful.

To be fair though, Todd is also notorious for lying.

lol, yes he is. But more than that, having a dream 25 years ago is one thing, but retaining that same youthful enthusiasm and drive for 25 years is another. Also, I'd point out that "motivation to make the game successful" is not really what I'm talking about. He can do that (and has) just by talking it up, which he's very good at. I'm sure the game will be successful, financially. But I'm talking about the drive, the ambition, the imagination, and the creativity that are abundant in your early years -- the stuff it takes to make a truly stellar game, and to take risks -- but which tend to fade, not just because you're older, but as part of the process of approaching retirement.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
It is quite telling that there have been no articles about MS/Bethesda's sneaky attempts at manipulating the early review aggregate scores by giving sites like Xboxera codes, while depriving reputed sites, that might not have been so charitable. Maybe Sony will wise up to this and stop supplying codes to sites like Polygon, Edge, Eurogamer, etc. that have been not too hot on their games.

That has been the big surprise for me -- how publishers can rig the review process, stacking the deck in favor of good reviews at launch, to get that initial PR hit. Then, over time, as less biased reviews come in, the scores drop.

I wasn't aware of this problem before Starfield. I assume it has happened with other games in the past; I just hadn't noticed it before.

Last edited:

Alebrije

lol, yes he is. But more than that, having a dream 25 years ago is one thing, but retaining that same youthful enthusiasm and drive for 25 years is another. Also, I'd point out that "motivation to make the game successful" is not really what I'm talking about. He can do that (and has) just by talking it up, which he's very good at. I'm sure the game will be successful, financially. But I'm talking about the drive, the ambition, the imagination, and the creativity that are abundant in your early years -- the stuff it takes to make a truly stellar game, and to take risks -- but which tend to fade, not just because you're older, but as part of the process of approaching retirement.

Think Todd is done and a new person should be in front of Bethesda...He has been doing the same game these decades...so at this moment you know what to expect from a New Fallout or Elders Scrolls.

I know is hard to find a Shigeru Miyamoyo but that is what needs Bethesda in order to improve and be willing to take risks on new ideas.

laynelane

I like that they did it because Microsoft and Bethesda deserve to have a light shone on them for this shady practice imo. Most people are probably unaware of it, so the more publicity it gets the better, so it hopefully never happens again.

That's my take on it too. These sorts of call-outs and the Steam user score all can help raise awareness of this ongoing issue. Sure, we who follow the industry can see what is happening, but many others simply don't know. As well, that line is an indictment of sorts of the game itself. A company completely sure of the quality of their game would not resort to these sorts of tactics.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Death Stranding reviews were absolutely retarded. I remember several reviewers docking points despite liking the game because 'it's not a game for everyone'.

I think if the steam reviews are any indication, this game isnt as beloved by users as death stranding but the point I was trying to make was that low 80s scores dont mean much. The Last Guardian is at 82 and its one of the greatest games of all time that finished 3rd in voting here on old gaf after overwatch and uncharted 4.

I do have a feeling that it will fare well at awards season this year. its new and fresh, and people will be playing it for far longer than other games releasing this year. My GOTY is still ToTK but im sure FF16, RE4, and Star Wars are likely going to end up behind Starfield in overall goty awards.
I have a feeling that Hi-Fi Rush might end up being nominated (as an Xbox game) over Starfield. Starfield is the 49th highest-ranking game in 2023. It'd be very tough to justify it being nominated as the top 5 or 6 games of the year.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 damaged Starfield a lot. The fact that Starfield also didn't add anything new didn't help its case either. But if there were an "RPG slot" in the GOTY nominations, BG3 will take that.

For smaller games and/or Xbox games, I think Hi-Fi Rush might end up getting the nod. It is also 5 points higher on Metacritic than Starfield now.

Here are my predictions for now:
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (winner)
  • Zelda TOTK (runner-up)
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Hi-Fi Rush / Sea of Stars
  • Hogwart's Legacy
  • Diablo 4

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a feeling that Hi-Fi Rush might end up being nominated (as an Xbox game) over Starfield. Starfield is the 49th highest-ranking game in 2023. It'd be very tough to justify it being nominated as the top 5 or 6 games of the year.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 damaged Starfield a lot. The fact that Starfield also didn't add anything new didn't help its case either. But if there were an "RPG slot" in the GOTY nominations, BG3 will take that.

For smaller games and/or Xbox games, I think Hi-Fi Rush might end up getting the nod. It is also 5 points higher on Metacritic than Starfield now.

Here are my predictions for now:
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (winner)
  • Zelda TOTK (runner-up)
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Hi-Fi Rush / Sea of Stars
  • Hogwart's Legacy
  • Diablo 4
Maybe with VGA Keighley Awards Show critics who feel the need to have a niche game represent but overall, I think gamers will choose starfield over high fi rush just like they did in 2019 which was actually a very strong year with several amazing single player titles like RE2, Sekiro, DMCV, Control, Jedi Fallen Order and Disco Ellysium.

I do agree with that BG3 launching when it did completely killed Starfield's chances of reviewing well. I wouldnt be surprised if that developer outrage on twitter over BG3 was mostly disgruntled starfield devs lol.

I think it will go something like this:

BG3
ToTK
Starfield
Spiderman 2
RE4
Star Wars

Lets bookmark this post and get back to this next year.

GHG

Ah. I was confused because they delisted the original release. Any way to find out what those reviews were? Just curious.

Isthereanydeal still has the last count recorded:

WdDfJAo.jpg

GHG

Thanks. Damn, that's good. I'm shocked really. I can't get more than a few hours into it each time I try to play it. Someday I'll make it through.

It's just a very good game. In terms of how it's crafted and how it all comes together it achieves exactly what it sets out to do. Not everyone will appreciate the slower paced moments but overall they make a critical contribution to the overall narrative of the game and evoking certain feelings.

It also helped that the performance on PC was absolutely stellar and it included the full suite of AI upscaling solutions right from launch. Provided you know what to expect from a gameplay perspective you'd be hard pressed to say anything negative about it on PC.

It's just a very good game. In terms of how it's crafted and how it all comes together it achieves exactly what it sets out to do. Not everyone will appreciate the slower paced moments but overall they make a critical contribution to the overall narrative of the game and evoking certain feelings.

It also helped that the performance on PC was absolutely stellar and it included the full suite of AI upscaling solutions right from launch. Provided you know what to expect from a gameplay perspective you'd be hard pressed to say anything negative about it on PC.
I figured it must have been a good performing release. That seems to matter a lot for Steam reviews.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

PC gamers love that shit, I would argue more so than console gamers on average.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks. Damn, that's good. I'm shocked really. I can't get more than a few hours into it each time I try to play it. Someday I'll make it through.
Only do story missions for a while, you will start unlocking items that make the exploration experience much better.
Agreed. I made the mistake my first go by being too much of a "completionist" and having to do all the little side content early on every time I came across them.

DO NOT DO THIS! I repeat. DO NOT DO THIS!

Do mainly the story missions for a while to unlock better exploration tools like XXL XXL mentioned, and if you want to go back later to do those missed side quests, you can breeze right through them with better traversal tech, and/or just not bother with them at all.

Last edited:

DJ12

It is quite telling that there have been no articles about MS/Bethesda's sneaky attempts at manipulating the early review aggregate scores by giving sites like Xboxera codes, while depriving reputed sites, that might not have been so charitable. Maybe Sony will wise up to this and stop supplying codes to sites like Polygon, Edge, Eurogamer, etc. that have been not too hot on their games.
Sony attempt to manipulate Metacritic scores by making damn good games, lots of people like, that run pretty well on the chosen hardware.

It's obviously not Bethesda, look at whats happening with the carefully chosen preview keys for Forza
A 3/5 of Eurogamer and 7/10 from edge are to be expected (eurogamer might go to 4/5)
I expect Edge to be 6/10 or lower, they love to dogpile over hyped games and there's plenty to justify such a score if you wanted to go down that route.

I was going through a corridor earlier and it just stopped rendering anything but the "pirate" text and their health bars.

Raven117

Gold Member
This game probably would have done a little better if it came out last year. This year...there were too many other good games that feel more "next gen." This just kinda sticks out more as being stuck in 2013.

There are some great things this game does, it just gets over shadowed with how clunky and disconnected it all feels. Clunk I can handle...but the disconnectedness of it truly hurts it.

Top Bottom