• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting this August, PS Now support will be on PS4 and PC only

ICO_SotC

I don't know how technically feasible it would be, but I wish they would just scrap PSNOW and put some money into a redesigned, cheaper PS3, or some attachment that you can plug into the PS4 via usb that can play PS2/PS3 games.

I've wanted to buy a PS3 for some time now since I have so many games attached to my PSN account, but prices on even used/refurbished ones are still high, and PSNOW just isn't an acceptable alternate.

I lost progress in games several times due to the connection being lost, there is a noticeable button lag that makes fighting games almost unplayable (SF2: HD Remix being the worst), and forget playing any type of online fighting game match. Virtua Fighter 5 matches played online had so much lag it made the characters move like they were underwater at times. Only playing through Final Fight: Double Impact with another player online was enjoyably and without hitch.

I tried it but ultimately I'm too sensitive to the streaming artifacts. I have a 25mbps connection so it should be sufficient.

Admirable idea but seems like the tech - and specifically the pipe size for bandwidth - is just not quite there.

That's lame. I have a friend who got a Sony TV specifically for that feature.

Wonder if they'll replace it with something else? My Samsung and LG tvs just keep removing features as time goes on (and licenses expire).

fvng

Why the fuck would they limit your options on their own service

That's lame. I have a friend who got a Sony TV specifically for that feature.

Wonder if they'll replace it with something else? My Samsung and LG tvs just keep removing features as time goes on (and licenses expire).

Isn't this the shit that got them in legal trouble in Europe. Removing advertised features (Linux) ?

wipeout364

I subscribe it's not a bad service and I have seen significant improvements in the quality over the last year or so. I don't use it a ton but it's nice to have. I keep getting the hundred dollar a year deal as I think 15 dollars a month is too much. I am not sure I would keep the subscription at that price. I really do wonder how many people subscribe and whether it makes Sony any money.
Contrary to what many are saying I have played several action games and racing games and not noticed any real issues but it probably depends on your connection. I've played lost planet 1 and 2, motostorm the earthquake one, ratchet and clank, and ninja garden; all played fine.

This is why I can never buy into Sony's services, they always nix them after a freaking year. Like, I get it stuff is experimental but jeeze they never seem to fully support their random side ventures.

Guess they were doing that badly.

This is why I can never buy into Sony's services, they always nix them after a freaking year. Like, I get it stuff is experimental but jeeze they never seem to fully support their random side ventures.

Guess they were doing that badly.

devil's advocate here...every company do that.

Take a look at how many products that google had 'shelved' (RIP iGoogle & Reader).

Ever heard of Microsoft KIN? Or maybe...*GASP* Kinect?

i can only assume the user base on those cancelled platforms to be too small to waste the bandwidth.

I will not be surprise that this whole PS Now initiative will be cancelled in another year. The idea behind is 'sound' (sort of). But the pricing is way off and the real world use case has not been justified yet.

I can't wait to hear someone defend the fact that some PS3 games (some PS Now games were otherwise physical-only) can't be played digitally on PS3 now.

Nesther

Wish they'd have released it before nixing it on these platforms.

Hopefully it doesn't shut down completely before getting a full release.

I've been waiting like 3 years now.

paulogy

I guess all the folks who kept saying the PlayStation Now servers cost so much money they'd never give you an all-access streaming pass for the games you already own, might be right?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Damn, I loved using PSNOW on my Vita. The small screen fixes some graphical issues and looks super nice ( even though the R2 and L2 usage is a problem )

Trup1aya

Wow, what a major contraction.

I thought scale was supposed to be THE defining characteristic of this service.

If I had to guess it couldn't garner the adoption to justify the size of the program. I'd say the pricing model continues to be the culprit.

I fear what the impending end of net nuetrality will do for the prospects of streaming services going forward.

spwolf

I wonder if this means there's some big update coming out that they don't wanna bother porting to systems with low use.

Also to everyone saying they should put in PS4 games, I think Sony actually enjoys making money on selling PS4 consoles.

maybe.. i would guess that only small % of users used the service on TV/BD players while they had probably had most issues/support with those thin clients.

styl3s

Very strange to remove it from TVs. I thought it was a clever way to get people hooked on it who don't otherwise have a games console.

PS3 is strange too. Wonder if more PS3 services will go offline this year? It's in its 10th year now.
Yeah i remember when being in Best Buy a couple Black Friday's ago to get a TV for our bedroom and came across a nice Sony LED Smart TV on sale and noticed it came with a PS3 controller with a lot of "can play playstation games" advertisements on it. Never used it but i always though it was a great idea and don't really know why they would remove it from TV's because even this past black friday when i got a 4K tv a lot of newer Sony TV's still had that advertisement on them.

I seriously didn't know this was an available service on PC. Damn I'm tempted.

They have so many great games I missed out on last generation, and ones I'd like to play again but am unable to due to trading in my PS3 for the PS4.

I seriously didn't know this was an available service on PC. Damn I'm tempted.

They have so many great games I missed out on last generation, and ones I'd like to play again but am unable to due to trading in my PS3 for the PS4.

Remote Play for PC was also added last year, too. As was official DualShock support (via a USB dongle). Both of those were created shortly after third-party PC software was created (Remote Play, especially). I hope that means PSVR will get official PC support (there is a third-party app that exists and apparently works quite well).

As for PSNow, I hope this contraction of available devices opens them up to add more offerings, such as PS1, PS2, and maybe even PSP and select Vita games (i.e. no gimmicks such as touch screen, back touch, gyro, etc.).

Rembrandt

Banned
Not really because PS4 games on PS Now would be like a demo to actually having a PS4 & if the people who try PS4 games without having a PS4 like it enough they will most likely pick up a PS4 to continue enjoying the games without PS Now.

Why would they if it ends up being cheaper to play them without buying a console/games/etc?

I don't think it'll be the death of the ps4, but I could see people substituting a purchase for psnow.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You didn't know? Backwards Compatibility is as easy as flipping a switch! $ony is just being greedy, unlike based Microsoft!

/s Ignorance is bliss.

Be sure to be all shouty about how useless/unwanted BC is in general too. That would've been the perfect driveby.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's sad to hear. I was thinking of subscribing so I could clear some of my PS3 backlog in the comfort of...anywhere.

Guess I'll need to do it sooner rather than later.

I really hope this means a better backwards compatibility solution is in the works, but...yeah.

NolbertoS

Wasn't a big fan of PS Now, now Sony can concentrate on true BC. No, Sony fan will pay to play older games. Just offer BC emulation Sony like MS is doing

Kirye

It's understandable, I doubt PS Now was very successful due to its pricing. If it was included as a Netflix type membership on PS+ then more people would've used it.

I subscribed to PS Now and used it regularly on Vita. I'm aware that makes me part of a very small minority, but it does make me sad they're taking it away.

I also occasionally used the service on my Samsung TV. So... Fuck.

Unsubscribing. What a shame.

sneas78

Banned
Red flags everywhere. Need to tweet Sony and calll them on it.
Vita fan. (Heart) You F& broke it Sony!!!
Now if they come out with a vita 2.. and it plays ps1 - PS3 games and PS4 at lower resolutions .. (Heart)= Fixed.

Isn't this the shit that got them in legal trouble in Europe. Removing advertised features (Linux) ?
The networking features are already always slapped with a clause that allows them to discontinue them at any moment they wish. Linux, well, wasn't.

They must have realized that literally no one was using PS Now on all those devices. It's probably doing a lot worse than most of us think. I wonder why they just don't pull the plug at this point.

AudioEppa

I hope Vue is doing good..

I love Sony, but the way they handle some of their business ideas is beyond frustrating. I remember two years ago being on the phone with a representative talking about a issue with Vue. And the guy said that Sony was surprised by so many people interested in the product. They pretty much put it out there half baked. I was thinking myself 'not surprised'

I don't believe they're stupid. They know the perfect way to handle this service (PS Now) so they either can't do it, are they really just want people to pay more than they should. Also It will be amazing to be able to rent new games digitally.

Toki767

I'm guessing they're basically planning to overhaul the app/service and see that most of their users are playing on PS4 and PC.

That or the hardware they're dropping isn't powerful enough to run whatever changes they're making.

Chobel

This doesn't make any fucking sense, unless the dropped devices has their own servers and protocols which would be big engineering fail from Sony.

I don't understand why they'd do this.

Does it cost money to have it on these other devices independently?

Other than maintaining the interface app for these devices (negligible cost), there should be no cost difference between running on it PS4/PC or some other device.

Really disappointed in how they implemented gaikai with only psnow. I envisioned a world where you could stream demos of games and even stream a game you have downloading so you don't have to wait for a download and install. They need to utilize this tech to provide the type of "play now" opportunities that they talked up prior to the PS4 release

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why do people keep saying stupid things like "I would just play my ps3 if I wanted to play a ps3 game". The point is that you have a big library of games to choose from.

You watch movies and TV shows on Netflix right? Why wouldn't you just watch that stuff on your DVD player or your hard drive? So dumb lol.

Either way psnow just was doomed from the start. mIt's unfortunately just too expensive for the content it provides and you need a good connection in order to play it effectively.

rawd

I'm guessing they're basically planning to overhaul the app/service and see that most of their users are playing on PS4 and PC.

That or the hardware they're dropping isn't powerful enough to run whatever changes they're making.

Came to post these exact thoughts as well.

Top Bottom