• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arma always had performance issues. Even with litanies of guides on tweaks , it is a great undertaking to get consistent 60fps unfortunately.
It's a shame. Game is very ambitious and mostly succeeds in ways no other game I've ever seen. Can only imagine their proprietary engine being the cause of it. Hopefully they either do a massive overhaul - I remember seeing in a recent dev video new shaders being teased, who knows, maybe there are general engine tweaks being worked on as well - or at least will use another engine/make a better, new one. Oh well, I'll get used to it.
Other than performance there is a little jank. Mind you, I was expecting a ton of jank since I read/heard of that in many reviews/videos on the genrral ArmA series but I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at the low level of jank. My main gripes being delayed hit reactions and animation + camera judder in first-person view. The shooting, driving and flying mechanics are spot-on though at a perfect mix of simulation and gamey fun. Definately no jank evident there but deliberate choice.
I might come off picky and whiny but as a whole I am enjoying ArmA3 a lot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Anecdotal, but I should own Rocket League because it was offered with the Steam controller. Unfortunately, I used Steam bucks on another Steam account to order the Steam controller, and then the game was automatically added to this account, directly, no as a Steam gift. So... no preorder incentive for my Steam account in the end. Only a cool controller.
u could do like family sharing with that account, maybe?

header.jpg

Wrapped up Her Story.

Controversial opinion time: Not a bad game, but Christine Love games are better in every possible way and Contradiction is a better FMV offering.

I'd much rather have a tiered unlock system, like in Analogue. It's way too easy to unlock one of the ending segments just by getting lucky with the parser. :\
i think it's kind of pointless to wonder which game is "better"

i like analogue/hate plus a lot better but i think the her story experiment is super interesting specially how they figured out how to limit the way you access the videos while still letting you to figure out things at your own pace. i appreciate that a lot as someone that might be kind of weird how i go about things lol

contradiction, eh, again, i don't think it's fair to compare the two

these are all cool games, let us celebrate them all

Too damn hard indeed. And that's okay.

To be quite fair, it's too damn hard for most dota players too ;)

We're all just different levels of terrible at the game :p
yea it was meant as kind of a joke but yea i agree, doto's dumb :>

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
header.jpg

Wrapped up Her Story.

Controversial opinion time: Not a bad game, but Christine Love games are better in every possible way and Contradiction is a better FMV offering.

I'd much rather have a tiered unlock system, like in Analogue. It's way too easy to unlock one of the ending segments just by getting lucky with the parser. :\

But the point of the game isn't to get to the ending, so even if you see the ending segment, what's the big deal? The point of the game is to try to stitch it all together in your head. Even when you watch the ending, what does the game do? Sends you a message to say "Well, you've seen the quote ending unquote but honestly you should just keep playing until you don't feel like playing anymore just let us know when you're done". I got the ending well before I stopped playing.

Eyy congrats on both!

Congratulations on your wedding!

---

Man Dragon's Dogma is a real time sink. Got a serious case of "just one more quest ..." going on with that game.

Thanks for hyping it up so much SteamGAF, wouldn't have picked it up else.

If he loved you he would've gotten you a Ti

Congrats on your wedding and the sex
y gpu
buddy!

Thanks everyone! It should be a nice upgrade from my 770 and now he gets that hand me down so it's an upgrade for him, too.

Can't wait to check out the witcher 3 with this badboy :D

Ozium

What's the hype regarding Paint it Back? Like why should I pay 8 dollars or whatever when I can currently get picross for free

I didn't know Battleborn got delayed again. It was set for February, but not it's may. They REALLY don't want that game to bomb. They keep pushing it back I guess so they can market it better. Since right now it's still struggling.

What's worse, only a month later Overwatch launches.

Bad idea.
People will jump over to Overwatch. That's how online games work at launch.

Got a 980 as a wedding gift from my brother.

Man knows what's up hah

Congrats man.

Ozium

If you're referring to pokemon picross, it's pretty cool, but the f2p mechanics are pretty restrictive.

hmm I played quite a bit and just play it in spurts and haven't found anything restrictive... I just do a puzzle every now and then

tmarg

hmm I played quite a bit and just play it in spurts and haven't found anything restrictive... I just do a puzzle every now and then

Once I had to start unlocking new zones, I ran out of picrites really quickly. And it takes 10+ days of daily training puzzles to unlock a new zones.

Tizoc

What's the hype regarding Paint it Back? Like why should I pay 8 dollars or whatever when I can currently get picross for free

...this is a silly question, sorry.
As someone who never cared for Picross, Paint it back made me want to get them on 3DS.
If you want a Picross-like game to play on Steam, then get it, if not at it's full price right now, do it on these things that Steam and other online Steam key sellers do called a 'sale' :V

I've been addicted to this game for past week since I started it and now that I'm almost finished playing it, I'm planning on starting the Cells games.

It's a really good introduction to the concept or genre, and I recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in it. THe tutorial is superb and gets you up to speed on the rules within minutes.

Some Microids stuff.
ModBot said:
Instructions for texhnolyze:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Egypt The Propecy -- MB-E05FF3956AC20734
Soulbringer -- MB-6275DCA3EB0CEB26 - Taken by NicoNizza. 1 entrants total.
Haegemonia -- MB-5A6615E5877B4A79 - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Meridian New World -- MB-7EEAD6307FEF0778 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 1 entrants total.

t1453090018z1.png

Finished Death Valley in ArmA3. Now that's what I was looking for! So much fun. Going through the forest, getting in firefights in a narrow channel and finally opening up to a gorgeous village right at the sea :) But of course not sightseeing instead searching for a UAV and laser-tagging enemy soldiers who tag us for mortar attacks. That was a fine piece of mil-sim.

But the biggest source of joy to me is finding a good youtube guide on how to enhance performance. There's some very unseen stuff but hey, it lead to 1080p/60fps with almost maxed setting and even higher view-distances than before. This is the video and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in ArmA3.

Basically:

- get https://github.com/fred41/GimmeMoarFrames (needs PC user name and PC restart)
- get https://github.com/fred41/tbbmalloc_arma (copy-paste one dll-file)
- set these launch parameters: -noBenchmark -noLogs -noPause -noSplash -skipintro -world=empty -cpuCount=4 -malloc=tbbmalloc (cpuCount depends on your model, if you have hyper-thread support, you need to write sth else)
- get https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ (don't think it's needed tbh but if you use it, don't forget to enable "parking" of cores again once you finished gaming)

Much more hassle than it ever should be needed but I'm not complaining too much as the end result makes me happy :)

Intel

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166118.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Intel, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Amerzone: The Explorers Legacy -- MB-21778401A5CBD343 - Taken by Sarcasm

Not sure if it's been posted yet but there's a new mod for Insurgency called "Day of Infamy", it's a WWII overhaul with new weapons, characters and a couple maps, it's really fun, I've played a few hours of it and I've had a great time. All you gotta do is download the Day of Infamy Mod from the Steam Workshop and the 2 extra maps which are linked in the mods description, and also set your Insurgency game to the beta branch.

MOD - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601757902

MAP - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601791962

MAP - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601789279

Not sure if it's been posted yet but there's a new mod for Insurgency called "Day of Infamy", it's a WWII overhaul with new weapons, characters and a couple maps, it's really fun, I've played a few hours of it and I've had a great time. All you gotta do is download the Day of Infamy Mod from the Steam Workshop and the 2 extra maps which are linked in the mods description, and also set your Insurgency game to the beta branch.

MOD - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601757902

MAP - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601791962

MAP - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601789279
I'll check it out thanks.
Some of these characters' hair and that bear shows up in threads from time to time but I don't know what to expect. What to expect?

Messiah

Please have a dual language option, please have the dual language option, please have a dual language option.

Sorry feep

It did have dual language on vita so I can't see why it wouldn't have. That said, the dub is really good in my opinion. So people who prefer playing with english dub should enjoy the game just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom