• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I'm having so many problems with Final Fantasy XI. Now the font has kind of a ghosting effect on text. And not only that, the start screen menu (and I guess the rest of the game) looks to run in a extremely low resolution, even though I have set it to 1080.

I'm going to bed.

ezodagrom

Just talking about random stuff with a friend.

why HL3 hasn't been announced/released yet
the day it's released is when steam dies because it can't handle the load
kaboom
yeah the internet would just go
boom
steam would go
boom
the world would probably end
I can do better
releasing HL3 with a discount on christmas day
the day valve ruined christmas?
Your state is set to Offline.
Lost connection to Steam, will rejoin chat automatically when connection regained.

Kinda funny getting dced right after saying that. =W=

Arthea

I'm just saying time spent in the game isn't the ultimate arbiter of the most fun, so it doesn't matter that people spent ages in Clicker Heroes.

wait a second, you don't understand that I'm joking even when I plain say so in the next sentence?
or are you talking about doto now?

Sorry i didn't explain myself entirely, i know there's a bunch of different endings and i got a bunch and that was fun. However i wanted to go for the best ending available and the trial and error that was required turned me off, i also remember some variance in the steps that you have to do but that was awhile back so i don't remember exactly. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed my time with that game, it just required too much of me at that time. I should definitely go back. Also guys here's a tip if you ever play that game
BEWARE OF THE CAKE

as I said, it is a time consuming game, you have to keep notes too (I did), plan, plot, extrapolate, etc.
Again I understand that this kind of game might be not for everyone.

you mean chocolate, surely

tmarg

2015 release, so it sure is!

Far be it from me to tell people what to do with their goatee vote, but I have a hard time believing that reshuffled enemy positions and some lighting effects are the best game of the year.

It's a weird situation where technically it's eligible, but what exactly are you voting for?

Cyldman

Banned
Let the Vr competition start....
I'm aiming for HTC Vive, Depending on prices and what it has to offer.

Steam full integration blabla?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So when is the voting starting or did I just miss the post.

Less than 48 hours til the voting starts. I'll post the official eligibility rules here in a few minutes though once I finalize everything, so people can get an idea of how to put their lists together. Voting will be open from the 7th through the 21st, PST.

Jawmuncher

Less than 48 hours til the voting starts. I'll post the official eligibility rules here in a few minutes though once I finalize everything, so people can get an idea of how to put their lists together. Voting will be open from the 7th through the 21st, PST.

Excellent.

Ozium

ModBot said:
stop shitposting

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-C7FAB10CC862376B - Taken by Kuroyume
The Adventures of Tree -- MB-98F7A8CAF17B0824 - Taken by Saty
Pester -- MB-10644FC8B1864574
Schein -- MB-C40CC05DED3E1061 - Taken by Madn
Rubber and Lead -- MB-996A2064C7B0E3C5 - Taken by fuzzy123
Loot Hero DX -- MB-86A708D70BEDBF5B - Taken by redlacs
Desert Ashes -- MB-458A1166911BA33B - Taken by fuzzy123
Pongo -- MB-D5D83A7EBE070252 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Demented -- MB-4AB7E1C1A0B6CA28
Aero's Quest -- MB-25722677EAF86C41 - Taken by Tesseract
Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-BAFFBBAE2BD16A79 - Taken by texhnolyze
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-52B4F881E6C904F2 - Taken by dave is ok

tumblr_lut7nlvnas1qdau9mo1_500.gif

Smash88

Banned
Rumor Mill: http://www.tssznews.com/2016/01/01/source-offers-insight-into-potential-sega-pc-releases/

They say their source is confirming Sega is looking into bringing:

"That includes Vanquish, Resonance of Fate, titles in the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA franchise, and Virtua Fighter 5. "

"That includes “heavily” considering bringing the Yakuza franchise to PC, in order, beginning with Yakuza 0."

"Also considered a high-priority for PC is the recently announced Valkyria: Azure Revolution."

"Our source also indicated Sega wants to being several titles in the Atlus library to PC, but is facing some resistance from the Japan side."

Of course with any site that doesn't have a proven track record take this with a big ole' heaping table spoon of salt.

Jawmuncher

Rumor Mill: http://www.tssznews.com/2016/01/01/source-offers-insight-into-potential-sega-pc-releases/

"That includes Vanquish, Resonance of Fate, titles in the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA franchise, and Virtua Fighter 5. "

"That includes “heavily” considering bringing the Yakuza franchise to PC, in order, beginning with Yakuza 0."

"Also considered a high-priority for PC is the recently announced Valkyria: Azure Revolution."

"Our source also indicated Sega wants to being several titles in the Atlus library to PC, but is facing some resistance from the Japan side."

Of course with any site that doesn't have a proven track record take this with a big ole' heaping table spoon of salt.

Leakers need to get that real work in, like what is going on at Capcom.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Far be it from me to tell people what to do with their goatee vote, but I have a hard time believing that reshuffled enemy positions and some lighting effects are the best game of the year.

It's a weird situation where technically it's eligible, but what exactly are you voting for?

About that...

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
wait a second, you don't understand that I'm joking even when I plain say so in the next sentence?
or are you talking about doto now?

as I said, it is a time consuming game, you have to keep notes too (I did), plan, plot, extrapolate, etc.
Again I understand that this kind of game might be not for everyone.

you mean chocolate, surely

Yeah i get you, i wasn't in the mood for that.
it was either a cake or chocolate, it was so long ago, i choose poorly dammit :(

Someone should start a petition showing that PC gamers want these games, so they will stop heavy considering and start heavy porting.

jshackles

Jshackles you are here. Why do I get euros and not CDN for lowest price?

OvuIIiA.jpg

Enhanced Steam performs an AJAX query to the Half Life 2 store page and retrieves the price field which it then parses to try and determine what currency your store is in. Valve made a change right before the Winter Sale started that caused these XHR requests to return (not correct) values for some people. Mostly those affected are users that have their wallet currency in a different locale than their GeoIP data resolves to.

In the next update I'll be adding a dropdown box in the options that allows users to manually override these settings in the event that it's not returning the correct info.

Grief.exe

Yeah I knew about that one, I was thinking a new one that mentions this rumor to give them an extra push to actually do it.

We've already bugged Sega and they are looking to continue porting games, maybe not the ones we necessarily want the most or at a pace that satisfies us, but still porting none the less.

I'm thinking of starting a thread/tweet to lean on Atlus a bit.

Theoretically, Konami would be a good target. Games in their library easy to update, looking to invest more in the ecosystem, moving to a risk-adverse/high-margin development. The only problem is public perception is very negative currently. May have to wait a year to get a good push.

ArjanN

There are cool and creative things about binfinite. RL was an extremely cynical attempt to cash in on a fad.

Did you get the names switched around there? Because Bioshock Infiinite's design was far more cynical than RL.

Rogue Legacy clearly wasn't a better game than Spelunky though, I'm fairly certain the only reason it beat Spelunky was because less people can hang with Spelunky's difficulty.

Yeah I knew about that one, I was thinking a new one that mentions this rumor to give them an extra push to actually do it.

The problem is this rumor just sounds like someone read that petition/GAF thread.

If that source was legit they're already aware of the demand, and if it wasn't it was just someone reading GAF back to us.

Also, it's hard as shit to get any traction for an online petition.

Smash88

Banned
Enhanced Steam performs an AJAX query to the Half Life 2 store page and retrieves the price field which it then parses to try and determine what currency your store is in. Valve made a change right before the Winter Sale started that caused these XHR requests to return (not correct) values for some people. Mostly those affected are users that have their wallet currency in a different locale than their GeoIP data resolves to.

In the next update I'll be adding a dropdown box in the options that allows users to manually override these settings in the event that it's not returning the correct info.

Thank you! Appreciate the effort. I am currently in Europe, but my residence is in Canada, so this was something that bugged me and I tried to go through options hoping to fix, but there was nothing and needed some insight as to how/why.

We've already bugged Sega and they are looking to continue porting games, maybe not the ones we necessarily want the most or at a pace that satisfies us, but still porting none the less.

I'm thinking of starting a thread/tweet to lean on Atlus a bit.

"We gave you Zeno Clash 2, what more could you possibly want?"

jshackles

Thank you! Appreciate the effort. I am currently in Europe, but my residence is in Canada, so this was something that bugged me and I tried to go through options hoping to fix, but there was nothing and needed some insight as to how/why.

Thanks for the report. That sounds pretty consistent with what I've been hearing - Valve thinks you're in Europe so it's showing you prices in Euros when doing AJAX requests.

titch

Risk is cool and it looks like this version more closely matches the board game. For those (like me) that have played the board game to death, I wholeheartedly recommend Risk Factions which is a fun twist on the game and has quite a bit more depth to it.

Forgot about this one - would have picked it up during the sale - risk was great fun bitd.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
IX? So there has been 8 others?

No, but that's somewhat intentional. I'll say the game started off around Halloween as a parody game made on stream, the theme was
a cliche RPG type game that slowly gets corrupted and degraded
over the course. It's changed some, but the IX also has a meaning in the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

jshackles

Voting for the SteamGAF GOTY starts in
t1452211200z4.png

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
And the other page is live too! The other game, Red Haze, is also a freebie RPG Maker horror game deal, one that's a semi-sequel to Close Your Eyes:

Red Haze

You know, my dear, it isn't safe... To wander and creep while oh so weak. In the abandoned, the rotten, the decayed. Society has forgotten you; it won't lift a finger for that which it tossed away. You're just prey that the true prowlers who lay in shadows await to feast upon.

Falling into the dark pits of society, Rockette turned to drugs to give meaning to her miserable existence. Squatting in an old apartment complex, she finds herself at her last pump, and decides to venture from her shanty abode to locate her dealer, an older woman by the name of Aunti G. However, a creeping feeling takes hold; something is following her. A voice begins to talk to her from within the walls...

A semi-sequel to Close Your Eyes, something of a loose retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Featuring a cryptic, surreal, and morbid story where not everything is as it seems, perception is important, and choice matters.

*Play style makes a difference; The game monitors you and tailors the experience to change based on your actions.
*A completely free experience featuring an original soundtrack & art.
*An unsettling and slowly-building atmosphere, paced to keep things interesting.
*A cryptic and narrowing tale exploring the dark corners of society.
*Voice acting that may be tailored to be turned on or off.
*Multiple endings and potential pathways support replayability.

What soft skin you have, my child...

This one I expect to do better. It has a design decision where there are many choices, but those choices have consequences, and a very abstract gameplay style where all paths are right and wrong at the same time, and there's no proper gameovers though there are enemies that hunt you. Should be interesting, another freebie experiment with doodle art by me. So happy my next project after these two will have a proper artist...

ss_cfaa50cc56bb446428bce17fc2158ccb501dbd54.1920x1080.jpg

EDIT: Oh my, scored top of the page twice. My luck is strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom