• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Voting for the SteamGAF GOTY starts in
t1452211200z4.png

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editionhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/ are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.

[/LIST]

vdLE8dJ.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
When you really think about it, all games are pong. You win or you lose, but you can't lose if nothing contests you.

Was the cup with a ball attached via elastic band the precursor to Bad Rats? Slinkies the forefather of walking simulators? We've unearthed some dark secrets of the modern gaming universe this day.

zkylon

zkylewd
Voting for the SteamGAF GOTY starts in
t1452211200z4.png

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.

how many games, only 5 like last year?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait, we recognize modbot's gender identity but don't give him a vote?

That's messed up.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Like, we intentionally made him a person so we could deny him rights.

That's so much worse than just regular discrimation against a toaster.

redlacs

hidden.png

looks like new achievement feature.

still no "random" option in showcase like badges have, still nothing that can compel devs to fix the broken ones, but i appreciate that valve didnt forget about them completely

Arthea

Like, we intentionally made him a person so we could deny him rights.

That's so much worse than just regular discrimation against a toaster.

I know, right?
And what about those captchas that can be answered only "I'm not a robot", that's beyond discrimination already, what if I am? And I have PC, and steam and want to buy some stuff.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The idea here is that no game should be eligible for voting more than once. As remasters have become much more prevalent than years past, I think it's an important distinction to be made. In this case in particular, both of the games I mentioned got remakes this year were in the top TWO last year.

how many games, only 5 like last year?

Yes, 5 games per person. Full details coming soon.

Wait, we recognize modbot's gender identity but don't give him a vote?

That's messed up.

Ha that's kind of a carryover from MRORANGE's joke(?) in 2013. I included it last year, and decided it should carry forward since technically speaking Modbot could be used by any number of moderators to vote multiple times.

So is Bloodborne eligible or not???

In b4 "Bloodborne was robbed"

Nzyme32

So the Daedalic Armagedon Bundle is 90% off - £12.99 / $15.99 via Steam or even cheaper via Indiegala (although I am aware the pricing of most of those things individually should be lower anyway)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/55062/

It includes:

• Deponia [Steam Reviews = 90%]
  • Chaos on Deponia [Steam Reviews = 92%]
  • Goodbye Deponia [Steam Reviews = 87%]
  • The Whispered World Special Edition [Steam Reviews = 73%]
  • The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (*this is worth the price alone by the way) [Steam Reviews = 88%]
  • A New Beginning - Final Cut [Steam Reviews = 76%]
  • Memoria [Steam Reviews = 93%]
  • The Night of the Rabbit [Steam Reviews = 91%]
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout [Steam Reviews = 78%]
  • Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes [Steam Reviews = 93%]
  • 1954 Alcatraz [Steam Reviews = 74%]

Seems like an awesome deal, has lots of games I wanted but didn't have so I bought it. Almost seems like a pricing error since the deal works out that well for me

kurahador

Ummm...playing Deus Ex HR Director's Cut at the moment.
Did I just get a game breaking bug in
Namir
boss fight??? None of my aug works, even with the emp shielding. I can't even lift the heavy box!!! Fucking hell.

Bowlie

Banned
Ummm...playing Deus Ex HR Director's Cut at the moment.
Did I just get a game breaking bug in
Namir
boss fight??? None of my aug works, even with the emp shielding. I can't even lift the heavy box!!! Fucking hell.

Haha, not a bug. If you wanna know why:

You shouldn't have installed the LIMB chip

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello Steam thread, it's nice to be back. I've missed all the silliness and savings.

As for GOTY, It will be interesting to see how well Ori and the Blind Forest and Rocket League do against each other. I also wonder if anyone else will vote for SquareCells.

Arthea

Hello Steam thread, it's nice to be back. I've missed all the silliness and savings.

As for GOTY, It will be interesting to see how well Ori and the Blind Forest and Rocket League do against each other. I also wonder if anyone else will vote for SquareCells.

Sorry, but it's no Hexcells Infinite and in a year we had Paint it Back, it would be very strange move to pick SquareCells over it. I liked it enough, but it's no match for Paint it Back.

~Kinggi~

Banned
XCOM 2: Digital Deluxe - PC $56.25
Rise Of The Tomb Raider - PC $45.00
Payment type: PayPal
Savings: -$33.73

those fuckers takin me monies!

So the Daedalic Armagedon Bundle is 90% off - £12.99 / $15.99 via Steam or even cheaper via Indiegala (although I am aware the pricing of most of those things individually should be lower anyway)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/55062/

It includes:

• Deponia [Steam Reviews = 90%]
  • Chaos on Deponia [Steam Reviews = 92%]
  • Goodbye Deponia [Steam Reviews = 87%]
  • The Whispered World Special Edition [Steam Reviews = 73%]
  • The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (*this is worth the price alone by the way) [Steam Reviews = 88%]
  • A New Beginning - Final Cut [Steam Reviews = 76%]
  • Memoria [Steam Reviews = 93%]
  • The Night of the Rabbit [Steam Reviews = 91%]
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout [Steam Reviews = 78%]
  • Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes [Steam Reviews = 93%]
  • 1954 Alcatraz [Steam Reviews = 74%]

Seems like an awesome deal, has lots of games I wanted but didn't have so I bought it. Almost seems like a pricing error since the deal works out that well for me

Just some quick impressions of the ones I've played in this bundle, for anyone pondering it:

Deponia - if you can get past the fact that the protagonist is a dick with no redeeming values who doesn't even learn anything in the end, some janky translations (especially in the intermission songs,) and some leaps of adventure game logic, it's alright.

Whispered World - if you can get past the fact that the protagonist is a sad sack, and one of the shittiest "But Thou Must" endings in the history of video games, it's pretty good (and has a fair amount of challenge.)

Night of the Rabbit - my favourite Daedalic game to date, features a likeable protagonist (I know!) and a charming world with good puzzles. Recommended for any adventure game fan (and heck, even if you're not you might still enjoy this.)

1954 Alcatraz - in some ways feels like early Telltale, especially in its graphic treatment. Has a few anachronisms coupled with "get it? it's the 50s" references, and a few multiple endings (that admittedly just hinge on your dialogue choices in the end, so feel free to reload near the end) which overall make for a good adventure game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh right, Real Pic January.

Sorry, but it's no Hexcells Infinite and in a year we had Paint it Back, it would be very strange move to pick SquareCells over it. I liked it enough, but it's no match for Paint it Back.

I'm sure I'll feel the same way once I actually buy Paint It Black, as Picross is my favourite puzzle type, but alas I've only played SquareCells.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What is this nonsense?

Jshacks, please.

edit : I see the reasoning above, but still disagree.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition is a re-release of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor bundled with all of the available DLC and was released on Steam in May 2015. Should it be eligible, even though it's the same game that won 9th place in 2014?

All of the DLC that's included in the Scholar of the First Sin Edition was released in 2014 - meaning the only difference between the game released in 2014 and the one released in 2015 is the placement of enemies and some graphical upgrades.

I think it's prudent to make this distinction, because remakes and remasters aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Ori and the Blind Forest is getting one sometime later this year, and I don't think it should be eligible in both 2015 and 2016. Since we won't know all the stuff that will get a remaster later this year, the only logical course of action is to make these remasters all ineligible going forward.

kurahador

I don't know, I didn't do what you did :p do you have any grenades? Maybe that'll help you.
(I think it's great that the game does that to you)

All my weapons are disables -- emp grenade, stun gun, tranq etc.. :/
This is going to be super frustrating having to rearrange stuff each time I picked up new weapons.

Will retry later.

You forgot about Life is Strange.
I guess it'll be a fierce battle between Life is Strange, Rocket League, and Ori. I believe Witcher 3 will still be up there on the top 5.

Shantom

I guess it'll be a fierce battle between Life is Strange, Rocket League, and Ori. I believe Witcher 3 will still be up there on the top 5.

I can't see anything other than the Witcher 3 winning, so I'll be happy with Rocket League at No.2 and Trails SC sneaking into the top 10.

AHA-Lambda

Is the voting staying in Community or going to Gaming side?

My guess :p

Witcher 3
Rocket League
Life is Strange
Contradiction
MGS V

I can't see Ori breaking top 5 frankly =/

jshackles

There are a few other heavy hitters such as Metal Gear Solid, Just Cause 3, and Fallout 4 to contend with. On the smaller scale we have Tales from the Borderlands, Contradiction, Trails SC, Zestiria, and several others to contend with. I'm absolutely giddy to see how the voting turns out.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition is a re-release of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor bundled with all of the available DLC and was released on Steam in May 2015. Should it be eligible, even though it's the same game that won 9th place in 2014?

All of the DLC that's included in the Scholar of the First Sin Edition was released in 2014 - meaning the only difference between the game released in 2014 and the one released in 2015 is the placement of enemies and some graphical upgrades.

I think it's prudent to make this distinction, because remakes and remasters aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Ori and the Blind Forest is getting one sometime later this year, and I don't think it should be eligible in both 2015 and 2016. Since we won't know all the stuff that will get a remaster later this year, the only logical course of action is to make these remasters all ineligible going forward.

GOTY where all they did is package the game with DLC? No

Remaster where DLC is included and main game is tweaked? Sure, why not.

I'm not really losing sleep over it one way or another, just providing input. Can't wait to crown Clicker Heroes the real GOTY.

cyba89

Why do I get a mail from steam telling me Anno 2205 and Lego Avengers from my wishlist are on sale when they are not?

Tesseract

Banned
my haul =

Metro Redux Bundle - $7.49
Downwell - $2.00
Grand Theft Auto V - $35.99
Dungeon Souls - $4.99
Sublevel Zero - $11.99
Subterrain - $13.49
Dex - $9.99
BloodLust: Shadowhunter - $9.74
Wolfenstein: The New Order ROW - $8.99
ARK: Survival Evolved - $17.99
The Evil Within Bundle - $15.99
Don't Starve - Shipwrecked - $4.49

most i've ever spent on a sale, went a little crazy

pahamrick

There are a few other heavy hitters such as Metal Gear Solid, Just Cause 3, and Fallout 4 to contend with. On the smaller scale we have Tales from the Borderlands, Contradiction, Trails SC, Zestiria, and several others to contend with. I'm absolutely giddy to see how the voting turns out.

I've already got my top 10 nailed, now I just need to trim them down to the top 5.

I'm pretty surprised at myself for the ones that probably won't be making the final top 5.

Dsyndrome

It's going to be heated for overall GOTY on Gaming side between the big three non-Nintendo games. Here, it seemed like a lot of folks (from my perspective) are very bitter about the overall package that is MGSV. With that in mind, I can guess what #1 will be, interested to see as well where LiS, Contradiction, and Her Story end up. Hopefully CH has a good showing.

Jazz573

It's going to be heated for overall GOTY on Gaming side between the big three non-Nintendo games. Here, it seemed like a lot of folks (from my perspective) are very bitter about the overall package that is MGSV. With that in mind, I can guess what #1 will be, interested to see as well where LiS, Contradiction, and Her Story end up. Hopefully CH has a good showing.

HuniePop, right? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom