• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Well, I did say "likely part of it" but I'll take your word since I haven't played those games much.

As for the fluff, it's not conditioning as I just really have a thing for video game weapons. it's one of the reasons why I play RE4-5 and Bioshock and uh... any game where you can get new guns and upgrade them. RoTR locks many of them behind collecting stuff in places you've traversed multiple times. And I don't mean new, hidden areas, but more often the same ground you've walked past again and again. I'm 40% through the game, and I've been only able to afford one item from the coin vendor. Granted, it's
the grenade launcher attachment.

I just preordered XCOM2 lol

I was thinking to wait because of my backlog but whatever.

Since my steam friends seems to be holding on the game, If anyone wants to add me for that character pool my steam name is the same than here with the kanyeseque avatar.

Anteater

Clicking on that gives me a site error? Am I doing it wrong?

tidus-laughing-o5sqsz.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah boss run, I could sware it was a mind controlled Zkylon that killed him too (which is why I highlighted the man slayer perk she got at the end lol) but game is saying it was a heart attack. Im not sure, that boss was too hectic tbh, I dont remember exactly what happened at the end. I was just hoping she would die before we all wiped. Not looking forward for the upgraded version of the Siren >_>
right, i was mind controlled

When I win EVO I'll give Zkylon a shout out.

you better

I kinda liked DNF. It felt like one of those early 00s games and I am sure if it came out during the planned releasedate, it would still be talked about now.

Wok

People in the Witness OT are so nice that it is amazing. They give vague hints in spoiler tags, so that I know I am on the right tracks and so that I get encouraged to try harder. I was afraid that people would just post solutions and remove all the fun of the remaining of the game. I can venture out of the Steam OT!

Endruen

Got in on RotTR for $9. This game is kicking my machines ass at 4kUltra
Looks gorgeous. I won't be able to play it in 4k, but geez it's too soon to upgrade my PC. I can still play 90% of the games in ultra even though it's 4 years old.

Pachimari

I think I'm feeling the same way, as fantomena have felt the past months, in that I don't feel like I want to spend dollars on games I'm not gonna play, even if they are on sale for cheap. Normally, I would have bought all of Toby, Age of Mythology and Gun but I know I won't get around to them for months. I'm starting to feel it'll be a waste of my own money, if I'm not gonna play them. Just something I have been thinking about and observed about myself.

That said, I got plenty to play already, and is having heartache and all that, which can play into me not buying anything.

Dr Dogg

Just when I think I'm done with The Division beta, those fuckers at UbiSoft go extend it by 24 hours. fine I'll guess I'll go JaseC the remain collectables and fill the few remaining equipment slots with Purples. After just focusing on going after Rogue agents I. The Dark Zone with a mate and any randoms that weren't scared at the sight of us and ran away before we could send them a squad invite final grinder enough DZ Bucks to buy the baller Yellow assault rifle with a name! No wonder I was getting dropped by this thing so often, it heals you on critical damage. The Yellow Shotty is pretty sweet too as it's almost an insta kill at close range. Great back up when fools rush you down and you've chipped a bit of their health away. Instead of reloading your primary switch to that and BLAM!

AHA-Lambda

ModBot said:
Instructions for AHA-Lambda:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Europa Universalis IV Evangelical Majors Unit Pack -- MB-E6AA9A16AA779F24 - Taken by Vaco6121

Had this lying around, don't even own the base game.

emptyroom

Neo Member
To recover some dignity. As I play DNF I'm fully aware it's quite terrible, but terrible in a good way . . . Especially for the cost of a Starbucks latte

Momentary

Banned
I think I have a Tomb Raider problem. The game is too damn good. I'm easy to please though. I can't believe I've already sunk in 22 hours into this thing though. That can't be healthy.

Lingitiz

Nostalgia? The Old TR games put emphasis on platforming and exploration. Furthermore isolationism, much of the old games had Lara alone exploring and progressing through the stages with the average enemy animal or human soldiers appearing uncommonly after a few segments.

They had a gameplay concept that made it stand out, and looking at TR Ann. you can see how well those elements and concepts are.

The current series is more of an Uncharted clone (all the extra fluff is merely padding, you can go through the main game without ever doing them, the only reasonwe are doing them is becase due to previous games released over the past decade we've become conditioned to do them), with the one thing making it stand out is flinging arrows into peoples faces.
Really it's Uncharted for those that don't own a PS4.
Having replayed the Uncharted games recently and played the beta for 4 I think that undersells the things ROTR does better than that series. Specifically, controlling Lara feels way superior and the shooting is also a lot more satisfying. I like type of control you have over her in the air. The blend of stealth into the combat is a lot better too, although this is before Uncharted 4 which will probably improve in that area. There aren't that many developers chasing Uncharted as before so I'm okay with one other putting their own spin on it.

This is coming from someone who disliked the reboot and thinks Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever, even if it aged kinda poorly.

Tizoc

mg.gif

Capcom you magnificent bastards <3

Having replayed the Uncharted games recently and played the beta for 4 I think that undersells the things ROTR does better than that series. Specifically, controlling Lara feels way superior and the shooting is also a lot more satisfying. I like type of control you have over her in the air. The blend of stealth into the combat is a lot better too, although this is before Uncharted 4 which will probably improve in that area. There aren't that many developers chasing Uncharted as before so I'm okay with one other putting their own spin on it.

This is coming from someone who disliked the reboot and thinks Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever, even if it aged kinda poorly.

I really wanna replay the UC games again, namely 2 because I remember the train section being really good. Hoping to find the PS4 collection for $10 or so tho @_@

Lingitiz

mg.gif

Capcom you magnificent bastards <3

I really wanna replay the UC games again, namely 2 because I remember the train section being really good. Hoping to find the PS4 collection for $10 or so tho @_@

Yeah although the pacing in UC2 is still top notch, the train section is way less impressive these days. One obviously for the technical reasons, but it's pretty obvious the shooting has just not aged well. There's no impact to hits, enemies don't react accordingly, and some of their placement just feels cheap and nonsensical. Still a great sequence but one I probably would have been better off letting stay a cool memory than actually revisiting.

Phawx

I think I have a Tomb Raider problem. The game is too damn good. I'm easy to please though. I can't believe I've already sunk in 22 hours into this thing though. That can't be healthy.

I just got to the crafting part. I didn't know what leveling up was going to do for me initially. I just thought it would be like health or something.

All of a sudden I'm very into this game. Plus it looks amazing. Probably the best TR game I've ever played.

Yeah although the pacing in UC2 is still top notch, the train section is way less impressive these days. One obviously for the technical reasons, but it's pretty obvious the shooting has just not aged well. There's no impact to hits, enemies don't react accordingly, and some of their placement just feels cheap and nonsensical. Still a great sequence but one I probably would have been better off letting stay a cool memory than actually revisiting.

All of the bolded is among what I'd use to describe TR2013's enemies. Does the sequel improves on that considerably?

The new Tomb Raider (2013) is not a bad game but it has some really bad parts to it. The pacing at the start was not fun and the locations were too similar. In that it feels like the first Uncharted.
The tombs so far are not even essential to finish the game, nor are they big. Sad excuses of puzzles are solved all too quick with the same "pay-off", if you can count the copy-pasted treasure opening and the same map reward as pay-off.
Story is not bad but the characters horrible. Very rarely do I even notice VO in games but this time it stood out in all the negative ways. When people open their mouths all immersion is lost.
Shooting is OK, nothing to boast about. The RPG elements (character leveling and weapon upgrades) and more open areas for exploration should be a positive over the much linearity of Uncharted but due to character control, I am enjoying them less than it could have been.
TR13 is good but nothing I'll remember in the future. Forgettable game and you wouldn't miss out on anything of greatness if you'd skip it for good. A far cry of the impression Tomb Raider I & II made on me in their time. I'm fine with rebooting and changing the formula but this was not a bulls-eye. 12hrs in now and I just want to finish it before it feels like a chore and try out RotTR. Hope it's the UC2 to UC1.

Lingitiz

All of the bolded is among what I'd use to describe TR2013's enemies. Does the sequel improves on that considerably?

I'm maybe like 5 hours into it but the combat has been so sporadic that I haven't really felt like it's been a problem. Most combat encounters start with you getting the jump on enemies rather than the "I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL, BASTARDS" style of the last game. The bow feels great and there's a cool ability you can get that highlights when you have a headshot that's nice little.

Like I said I did not like the last one really mostly because it just resorted to you having big shootouts, so I think the better paced combat and emphasis on exploration is what's making it a lot more enjoyable for me.
nope.

She definitely said that at least twice in my playthrough of RotTR :p
Heh like I said I'm not that far into it.

rtcn63

Combat sections in RoTR are much less of a focus than in the first game (well, I haven't gotten to the end areas yet), but (and I'm going from memory) are a lot easier even on Survivor. You're generally fighting smaller groups a a time, and the game always gives you copious amounts of crafting materials then and there to utilize explosives.

And if you play the game as intended, you'll spend most of your journey backtracking to the same "open" areas to collect things.

The optional tombs are improved, being slightly more challenging and time-consuming. And the rewards themselves are
permanent skills, such as being able to see traps when they're immediately nearby

Like someone said earlier, it's a better overall adventure game than TR 2013, but doesn't necessarily fix (and in some ways, exasperates) the issues that people may have had with the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom